PDA

View Full Version : Former Dukie Jamal Boykin Doing Well

ice-9
12-30-2008, 12:58 AM
Don't look now but Jamal Boykin is playing quite well.

So far this season he is averaging 10 points and 6 rebounds while shooting 55% from the field in 20 minutes per game of action. Not too shabby.

In Cal's recent game against Portland, Boykin scored 19 points and grabbed 12 rebounds (6 offensive) along with 2 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers. Not bad at all.

Boykin could end up being Duke's most successful transferee in the past decade.

geraldsneighbor
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
I'm happy he is doing well, and am a bit surprised since he is undersized to play the 4. I think if he would have stayed his numbers would be closer to Zoub's and McClure's then what he is doing at Cal, so he probably made the right move. I know he went home too because he was a bit homesick, so I am pleased for him things have worked out. I like Jamal alot when he was here. Crazy to think only Marty and Greg are still around from that class.

Matches
12-30-2008, 08:18 AM
Good for him. I always liked him and wish him the best.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
12-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Great to see Boykin doing well. He was a truly special kid and I was intensely proud to watch him in a Duke uniform. I'm sorry that he had a run of bad luck and bad health and it's very gratifying to see him succeeding and living well. I'll be cheering for him every game in college and wherever life takes him after that.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Boykin could end up being Duke's most successful transferee in the past decade.

Who's been the most successful to transfer out of Duke in recent history (since K arrived)? Billy Mac was very successful at Vandy. Christian Ast did well at American. Chappell was a good role player at Mich State. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

lifelongdevil
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
andre sweet-seton hall

Carlos
12-30-2008, 02:15 PM
It would have to be McCaffrey and it's not really close. He was a 3rd team All-American at Vandy.

Michael Thompson had a good half season at Northwestern before running into some problems.

mo.st.dukie
12-30-2008, 04:34 PM
I'm happy he is doing well, and am a bit surprised since he is undersized to play the 4.

He's listed at 6'8 230 and I remember he was very strong his freshman year so I'm sure he's gotten even stronger. I truly believe that he and Boateng would've made a huge difference on last years and this years team. Neither would be stars like Monroe or Patterson could've been but they would've added to the team's size and strength.

hq2
12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
As I recall, McCaffrey was actually the SEC player of the year, although I don't think he did anything in the pros.

jv001
12-30-2008, 04:40 PM
As I recall, McCaffrey was actually the SEC player of the year, although I don't think he did anything in the pros.

I think he transferred to Vandy to play point guard because he thought that would help him make it in the pros. Duke's best point guard ever(Hurley) was in front of him at the point. He did quite well at Vandy but as you said he did not make it in the pros. Go Duke!

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-30-2008, 04:58 PM

Tried to go to the NBA for awhile, but he never stuck.

He was the interim St Bonaventure head coach for a brief period after Van Breda Kolff (former Vandy coach) resigned during that welding certificate scandal.

RelativeWays
12-30-2008, 07:08 PM
I'll never understand why McCaffrey transferred to Vandy to play point after being named the final four MVP the year prior. I know his dad had something to do with it but it sounds like to me that they contracted George Lucas disease. You know, you convince yourself that this absolutely terrible idea, is really a great idea and you conveniently ignore all the naysayers, backlash and fallout. Billy was a great shooter and it seems to me he was well equiped to be an NBA shooting guard (back in the early 90's it was more of a pure position than now). Billy wasn't as fast as Hurley, not as quick, couldn't pass as well, didn't handle the ball as well, why he thought he'd be a good NBA PG when he was an adequate ball handler but a dynamite shooter is beyond me. The jury is out forever on Hurley's pro career because of the car accident but I think he was heading to be a competent if not quite spectacular PG. McCaffrey lacked the PG skill set to surpass him...

Anyway, great for Jamal. I hated that he transferred especially when I think it was his dream to paly at Duke. I wish him nothing but the best at Cal. He still has another year of eligibility correct?

sagegrouse
12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
I'll never understand why McCaffrey transferred to Vandy to play point after being named the final four MVP the year prior.

This is an example of "life imitates art." I don't believe that Billy had any desire to transfer until Vitale and others began talking about how his pro career would be helped if he could play point guard, which he couldn't at
Duke (because of Hurley). So, I believe, the notion was an external suggestion, not a product of team McCaffrey.

sagegrouse

duketaylor
12-30-2008, 11:02 PM
have never done much elsewhere, except McCaffrey, as noted previously. Michael Thompson did a little at Northwestern, but not much. Taylor King could, but time will tell.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
I'll never understand why McCaffrey transferred to Vandy to play point after being named the final four MVP the year prior.

Laettner was the Final Four MVP in 1991. Hurley and McCaffrey joined him on the All Final Four team that year.

Edouble
12-31-2008, 02:07 AM
MOP, to be exact.

heyman25
12-31-2008, 05:48 AM
Crawford Palmer to Dartmouth.Bucky Waters lost great teammates of Alan Shaw and Gary Melchionni, Richie O'Connor went to Fairfield and Jeff Dawson went to I believe Illinois.

Devilsfan
12-31-2008, 08:03 AM
It seems like a lot of big men transfer out. Maybe the beds in Bassett are too small. Boykin, Boetang, Thompson, and Beard come to mind.

jimsumner
12-31-2008, 09:00 AM
"K's transfers have never done much elsewhere, except McCaffrey, as noted previously"

Lots of K's transfers have done well at their new schools; most, in fact.

Greg Wendt-Detroit
Bill Jackman-Nebraska
McCaffrey
Crawford Palmer-Dartmouth
Joey Beard-Boston
Christian Ast-America
Chris Burgess-Utah
Andre Sweet-Seton Hall
Michael Thompson-Northwestern
Boykin-Cal

All of these guys played a lot more at their new schools than they would have at Duke. Which was the point, I suppose.

Speaking of point (Ha-Ha, I kill myself), even McCaffrey was never going to be THE MAN at Duke in the way that he was at Vandy.

Eric Boateng is still a scrub.
Mike Chappell was a reserve at MSU but did play on an NCA title team.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-31-2008, 09:39 AM
Speaking of point (Ha-Ha, I kill myself)

You're getting funny in your old age, Jim! :D

Just kidding. Happy New Year!

jimsumner
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Can we call it late middle-age? :)

Indoor66
12-31-2008, 02:02 PM
Can we call it late middle-age? :)

May we compromise on late late middle age?

jimsumner
12-31-2008, 02:17 PM
Let me take some metamucal and I'll get back to you.

Richard Berg
12-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Does Humphries count? He was Big 10 freshman of the year and Honorable Mention All-America.

weezie
12-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Tried to go to the NBA for awhile, but he never stuck.

He was the interim St Bonaventure head coach for a brief period after Van Breda Kolff (former Vandy coach) resigned during that welding certificate scandal.

Now here's a person who knows his/her hoops. Well played!