PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Stanford/Texas Tech

Ders24
12-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Looks like a good one for JD so far -- 29-9 right now.

gep
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
half-time... Stanford 57 Texas Tech 34. If Stanford wins, they will be 9-0. Isn't that quite good for a first year head coach with big losses in players from the previous year (not to mention MP1)... even against the teams they already played? I think that *any* team can beat any other team on any given night... so 9-0 has got to be pretty good to me:D

wisteria
12-29-2008, 12:14 AM
111-66 stanford

I have been paying close attention to Stanford this year and pulling for Coach Dawkins. The trees have an experienced team but they have no front court presence after the departure of the Lopez twins. Sounds familiar huh? :D I guess it's a good thing that JD had plenty of experience coaching last year's Duke team.

9-0 for JD, while the opponents are quite creamy, it's still pretty good! And they've been getting some love from the polls too. Had like 8 votes in the AP poll last week. :)

CameronCrazy'11
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Very impressed with what Johnny Dawkins has been doing at Stanford. I think they've probably played themselves into the tournament. If they can go 9-9 in the Pac-10, which shouldn't be difficult, they're almost certainly in.

geraldsneighbor
12-29-2008, 12:50 AM
I watched the game tonight, and have now seen 3 Stanford games. I'm very glad to see JD enjoying success so early in his tenure, and m excited to see him get his own guys in there.

BTW, is it too early to say Pat Knight is on the hot seat? I know it is a little premature, but it wasn't exactly like TT picked him and losing by fitty to Stanford won't go over well. Luckily for him, Lubbock has become a football school, atleast or for this year...

gep
12-29-2008, 01:45 AM
111-66 stanford

I didn't see the game... but 57-34 first half, 54-32 second half... doesn't seem like "stall ball" was in operation:rolleyes:

jv001
12-29-2008, 10:34 AM
I will root for Stanford and Oklahoma unless they are playing Duke. And as long as Coach Dawkins and Coach Capel are coaching there. Go Duke!

dukelifer
12-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Granted they have not really played any great team yet- but Johnny's Stanford team should be undefeated going into January (I assume they will beat 4-8 Hartford at home). I saw a few minutes of the game last night in which they crushed a not horrible Texas Tech team. The team plays a lot like the Duke teams with a motion offense and man-to-man D. They lack some size but seem to have a lot of multidimensional players and can shoot the three pretty well. They seem to be gelling with a new system. Scoring 111 in a game shows some ability to get the ball in the basket. An impressive start for Johnny in his first season- but the games will start getting much tougher in a few weeks.

Olympic Fan
12-29-2008, 12:40 PM
I will root for Stanford and Oklahoma unless they are playing Duke. And as long as Coach Dawkins and Coach Capel are coaching there. Go Duke!

Don't forget Tommy Amaker at Harvard.

As of Monday morning, 6-5 Harvard is the only team in the Ivy League with a winning record and have the second-best RPI in the league (Cornell's is better).

Tommy has tried to toughen his team up with road games at Colorado, George Washington and Rice -- Harvard lost all three, but was competitive -- losing by 13,15 and four respectively.

Ivy teams rarely have a chance for an at large bid, so the focus has to be on winning the league. It looks like Amaker has Harvard in the race.

As for JD, I agree the Hartford game tomorrow night is a lock -- the real test will come this weekend when Arizona and Arizona State visit visit Palo Alto. Take care of his home court in the league and Johnny should be in the field without a problem.

PS also cheer for Notre Dame -- Mike Brey is 9-2 with a great win over Texas. The two losses aren't bad -- to UNC and to Ohio State. They open the Big East schedule on the road Thursday night at DePaul.

Ders24
12-29-2008, 12:52 PM
As for JD, I agree the Hartford game tomorrow night is a lock -- the real test will come this weekend when Arizona and Arizona State visit visit Palo Alto. Take care of his home court in the league and Johnny should be in the field without a problem.

It will be interesting to see how Stanford handles these two teams. Stanford's guard play – their weak point last year – is definitely their strong suit and they have a couple (3?) starters back from last year's squad so they have some experience.

hq2
12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Still, nice to see an ex Dukie doing well at my Alma Mater! He has a tough act to follow (by a few years) in Mike Montgomery, but he's doing all right. Go, Go Johnny Go! Johnny B. Goode!

Bob Green
12-31-2008, 12:21 AM
Stanford is now 10-0 with a 14 point win over Hartford. The schedule stiffens with Arizona State and Arizona visiting Palo Alto this week.