PDA

View Full Version : WBB tomorrow vs Quinnipiac

devildeac
12-27-2008, 06:11 PM
For those in the area, come out tomorrow at 2 PM and support the women as they take on Quinnipiac. For an extra treat, the holiday/alumni pep band will be performing all the usual Blue Devil favorites and will be featuring our own OZZIE, master of the kazoo, along with a couple other members of the OZZIE family:D.

CameronBornAndBred
12-27-2008, 07:10 PM
For those in the area, come out tomorrow at 2 PM and support the women as they take on Quinnipiac. For an extra treat, the holiday/alumni pep band will be performing all the usual Blue Devil favorites and will be featuring our own OZZIE, master of the kazoo, along with a couple other members of the OZZIE family:D.
Somebody please be there with a video camera. And best of luck to the women, I'll be listening.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM

My daughter and son in law will be playing real instruments - both on the trumpet. Patrick just graduated from ETSU and will be a HS music teacher and band director, when he finds a job... He is a fantastic trumpet player. You should hear his trumpet "whinny" in Sleigh Ride. Did you know that the horse whinny is done on the trumpet? I didn't, until he told me.

This will be my third appearance as "first kazoo" at a Duke Women's game.

TillyGalore
12-27-2008, 09:41 PM
My daughter and son in law will be playing real instruments - both on the trumpet. Patrick just graduated from ETSU and will be a HS music teacher and band director, when he finds a job... He is a fantastic trumpet player. You should hear his trumpet "whinny" in Sleigh Ride. Did you know that the horse whinny is done on the trumpet? I didn't, until he told me.

I'm really sorry I'm going to miss that! Please cheer for me.

devildeac
12-27-2008, 11:05 PM

First (and only, I think) kazoo...

DukePA
12-28-2008, 05:46 PM

I'm sorry I missed the performance because according to my mother, "Ozzie was wild on the kazoo!"

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Nothing on Youtube yet. The masses are wanting. From the photos on Goduke, the crowd looked decent up top for a holiday game. And nice win by the women to boot.

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2008, 06:24 PM
Look in the lower left corner, no kazoo, but isn't that Ozzie?

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics11/400/OM/OMZJYABIPEEBTOL.20081228221637.jpg

Indoor66
12-28-2008, 06:52 PM
Who won the game?

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Who won the game?
Chante Black.

Indoor66
12-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Duke.

Score?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Score?

Duke won easily 78 - 50. At one point the score was palindromic at 52-25.

Chante Black dominated - she should have, she had 5 inches on every other player on the floor. If she could have hit some more of her 1 foot shots (think Zoubek last year), she would have scored 30. She should have had at least 20 in the first half.

At times, the women looked cohesive on offense. At other times, not so much. The defensive effort was there the entire game, and is definitely their strong suit.

jimsumner
12-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Duke dominated in the first half. 49-21 at intermission. Intensity waned down the stretch.

Selby and Scheer didn't play. Flu-like symptoms. Should make the trip to Rhode Island but PT might be limited.

Q's only legit post player is out with an injury and Duke just toyed with them on the blocks. Duke forced 33 turnovers, with 25 (!!!) steals and 11 blocks. Duke just disrupts and then wears down opposing offenses. Relentless D.

Duke also held scoreless Quinnipiac's leading scorer, Erin Kerner, who scored 35 in her last game against Yale and came into the game averaging 18.8. She was 0-7, with 7 turnovers.

Chante Black has 17 points, 12 rebounds, 8 steals, and 3 blocks. She became the sixth player in ACC history with 1000 career points, 800 rebounds, and 200 blocks. She's heading for an All-ACC season.

Bridgette Mitchell had a nice game off the bench, 14 points, 5 boards. She also buried her only three.

Cheek came off the bench and played well, 15 and 7.

There were some not-so-goods. Abby was 0-9 on threes and had four turnovers; she did have six assists and five steals but I'd sure like for her to shoot better than 0% from threes.

Careem Gay had one of those games she'd like to forget. Four fouls in eight minutes. Three points. And Karima fouled out in only 17 minutes.

Still, a solid game after a long road trip and holiday break. A couple of more non-conference tune-ups before the real fun starts.

Indoor66
12-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Duke dominated in the first half. 49-21 at intermission. Intensity waned down the stretch.

Selby and Scheer didn't play. Flu-like symptoms. Should make the trip to Rhode Island but PT might be limited.

Q's only legit post player is out with an injury and Duke just toyed with them on the blocks. Duke forced 33 turnovers, with 25 (!!!) steals and 11 blocks. Duke just disrupts and then wears down opposing offenses. Relentless D.

Duke also held scoreless Quinnipiac's leading scorer, Erin Kerner, who scored 35 in her last game against Yale and came into the game averaging 18.8. She was 0-7, with 7 turnovers.

Chante Black has 17 points, 12 rebounds, 8 steals, and 3 blocks. She became the sixth player in ACC history with 1000 career points, 800 rebounds, and 200 blocks. She's heading for an All-ACC season.

Bridgette Mitchell had a nice game off the bench, 14 points, 5 boards. She also buried her only three.

Cheek came off the bench and played well, 15 and 7.

There were some not-so-goods. Abby was 0-9 on threes and had four turnovers; she did have six assists and five steals but I'd sure like for her to shoot better than 0% from threes.

Careem Gay had one of those games she'd like to forget. Four fouls in eight minutes. Three points. And Karima fouled out in only 17 minutes.

Still, a solid game after a long road trip and holiday break. A couple of more non-conference tune-ups before the real fun starts.

Thanks to you and Ozzie for the reports.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Chante Black has 17 points, 12 rebounds, 8 steals, and 3 blocks.

I thought Chante had at least 5 blocks. She had her second and third (by my count) on one play early in the first half. Perhaps someone else got them instead.

heyman25
12-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Abby when will you snap out of it. Her Dad goes to a lot of games. Maybe he can give her some pointers.

CameronBornAndBred
12-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Abby when will you snap out of it. Her Dad goes to a lot of games. Maybe he can give her some pointers.
She showed promise vs. USC, in fact saved the day. Chante's misses from underneath disturb me more, the ladies have been shooting weakly from underneath. I wasn't there as a witness, but I saw the same problems in the last two games on TV. Very frustrating misses in the paint.

Jim3k
12-28-2008, 09:46 PM

As I understand it, part of her problem is that the sets no longer play to her strength. She's catch and shoot, but she's trying to shoot while moving sideways. Bad shot selection because she's never squared and usually doesn't receive it in rhythm. She's asked to create, instead.

Even the deuce she hit at the end of regulation in the USC game was mostly a prayer, spinning and jabbing it in the general direction of the bucket. It fell, but Newton's laws of physics were being tested.

She needs to talk to Greg. Or Collins.

Ders24
12-28-2008, 10:30 PM
She needs to talk to Greg.

Somehow I very much doubt that will happen. Collins maybe though.

This is the only home game I missed so far this year (at home for vacation), looking forward to continued improvement from the women, I very much enjoyed the win against Stanford.