PDA

View Full Version : Jason Williams breaks down the local teams

jimmymax
12-26-2008, 09:44 PM
I thought this was a pretty insightful review of NC talent by JW in the N&O (might need to register):

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sportsmedia/jason-williams-talks-acc-hoops

Black Mambo
12-26-2008, 10:03 PM
I hope Gerald reads that and two things happens...

A) He gets really ticked off because he just got compared to Vince Carter

B) He realizes he just got called out to step up by somebody who knows what it takes to be a star, and who believes he has all the tools to do it.

Come on G!! Where all waiting for you...

happydays1949
12-27-2008, 08:05 AM
Jason was right on all his points.

DukeDevilDeb
12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
Jason was right on all his points.

Including the fact that Duke is currently a second tier team in the ACC???

Do you really think so? :mad:

Sixthman
12-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Sure, Duke is second tier right now, but the first tier has only one team, and IMO Duke and Wake have the potential to move up to the first tier (although, of course, Carolina could always pull back to the pack). A lot happens over the course of a season and the relative position of teams can change quickly due to injury or over a few extra practices without games during the holidays, or slowly, over the grind of conference play (often so slowly that it's hard to be sure it's happened). Do Duke, Wake, Clemson and Miami belong in the second tier (and not the third), as JW suggests? Duke, Wake and Clemson have proved they do. Right now Miami looks like they belong in the third group.

sagegrouse
12-27-2008, 10:35 AM

No, I would almost never agree with that statement -- and certainly not this year.

However, I really like having reduced expectations and flying below the radar. All the better from a friendly source.

Although Jason is now a professional in the field, didn't you see a challenge to the team and Gerald in his comments?

sagegrouse

jv001
12-27-2008, 11:30 AM
No, I would almost never agree with that statement -- and certainly not this year.

However, I really like having reduced expectations and flying below the radar. All the better from a friendly source.

Although Jason is now a professional in the field, didn't you see a challenge to the team and Gerald in his comments?

sagegrouse

That's exactly what I think Jason was doing with his comments about the Blue Devils and Gerald and Kyle in particular. Jason made his point without really putting down either player. I also think the statements were intended for Gerald more so than Kyle. Gerald has the potential to be one of the top players in America. The last couple of games he seems to be getting closer to a break out game. Once he does, I think he will be consistently good the rest of the year. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
12-27-2008, 12:00 PM
I wish everyone would take the pressure off G. Just because of his ineage everyone expects him to be the next great Devil. True he is extremely athletic. He's a very good player but let's not cause him to try to be something he's not. That's very unfair. Maybe if he would just relax and stop pressing things would begin to happen.

jv001
12-27-2008, 12:11 PM
I wish everyone would take the pressure off G. Just because of his ineage everyone expects him to be the next great Devil. True he is extremely athletic. He's a very good player but let's not cause him to try to be something he's not. That's very unfair. Maybe if he would just relax and stop pressing things would begin to happen.

Do you think Coach K was putting undue pressure on Gerald when he commented that Gerald's mindset was not where it should be. (because of the injury he sustanined). I would not say people are putting pressure on him. But he may be putting pressure on himself because until recently he had not stepped up his play. I think he is coming around and he will be the player we expected him to be. Gerald has the potential to be a special player. I'm sorry if you don't feel the same way. Go Duke!

dukestheheat
12-27-2008, 08:29 PM

sagegrouse

..and a shot right across the Duke bow. Since J-Will has his jersey hanging in Cameron, he can shoot those bow shots. He can see the potential in Singler and especially G, and he is working to stoke something inside those guys. K will use these comments to fire up the team, and I appreciate J-Will for making them.

If J-Will felt that we didn't have Star Power this year on Duke, he probably wouldn't make comments like he did. He'd say 'well, they're young and rebuilding, and the effort will come with practice...', but he comes right out and calls it like he sees it, that Duke needs G to step it way, way up and do what J-Will can see he can do, and that right now Duke isn't near the team it can be this year. I see UNC, Wake and several other teams giving our guys a true test this year, at home or away!

The team will react very well to this, in my opinion.

dukestheheat.

geraldsneighbor
12-29-2008, 01:07 AM
The ACC is Three-tiers if you accept UNC is the top team hands down, which I think we can contend with.
1. UNC
2. Duke/Wake
3. Arrybody else

ice-9
12-29-2008, 03:12 AM
I'd say it's...

1. UNC
2. Duke, Wake, Clemson
3. Miami, Maryland
4. V-tech, Florida State, BC
5. NC State, Virginia, G-tech