PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Help!

Jarhead
12-25-2008, 11:18 PM
Earlier today I was browsing away on Firefox. After Christmas dinner at a friends home, I returned home, and tried to bring up Firefox. Error message told me it was not found. I searched for Firefox.exe, and it had disappeared. Just the other day I was notified from Mozilla.org that version 2.0.0.20 was no longer supported, and I should upgrade to version 3. Did those rascals steal my old version to force me to version 3?

Out of desperation, I went to Internet Explorer, and downloaded version three from the Mozilla website. It installed just fine until I tried to run it. It was then that a big banner came up and said:
XML Parsing error: undefined entity
Line Number 187, Column 5:
<key id="key_errorConsole" key=:&errorConsoleCmd.commandkey;" oncommand="toJavaScriptConsole() ;" modifiers="accel , shift"/>
----^
Suggestions? Questions? Help! Anybody know the URL fot that Mozilla help forum?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Earlier today I was browsing away on Firefox. After Christmas dinner at a friends home, I returned home, and tried to bring up Firefox. Error message told me it was not found. I searched for Firefox.exe, and it had disappeared. Just the other day I was notified from Mozilla.org that version 2.0.0.20 was no longer supported, and I should upgrade to version 3. Did those rascals steal my old version to force me to version 3?

Out of desperation, I went to Internet Explorer, and downloaded version three from the Mozilla website. It installed just fine until I tried to run it. It was then that a big banner came up and said:

That looks ugly. You might start looking for help here http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/

Karl Beem
12-26-2008, 09:08 AM

Chrome? Isn't Chrome the Google browser?

DukeUsul
12-26-2008, 09:11 AM
In this context chrome refers to the user interface for Firefox. You can perform certain actions in Firefox by typing chrome URLs into the bar.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dev_:_Firefox_Chrome_URLs

Jarhead
12-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the help, folks. You provided some hints on where to look, and I learned that Firefox version 3.0.5 appears to be heading to the bit bucket for disposal. People are having problems on just about all platforms. Mozilla should be ashamed. They no longer provide support for older versions of Firefox. I did, in my wanderings, find a site that provided downloads of older versions (http://www.oldapps.com/) of just about everything.

I still don't know what happened to my older version of Firefox. On investigation I learned that the only thing that flew the coop was the file, firefox.exe. When I downloaded and installed version 2.0.0.20 from the oldapps site everything went back to normal. Everything is copacetic.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the help, folks. You provided some hints on where to look, and I learned that Firefox version 3.0.5 appears to be heading to the bit bucket for disposal. People are having problems on just about all platforms.

I've been using 3.0.5 without problem, although it seems to take much longer to start - 5 to 10 seconds or longer is normal now before I see my home page (DBR, of course!) on the screen. Sometimes it takes long enough that I have impatiently clicked the quick start button 3 or 4 times and then they all start.

Jarhead
12-26-2008, 05:21 PM
I've been using 3.0.5 without problem, although it seems to take much longer to start - 5 to 10 seconds or longer is normal now before I see my home page (DBR, of course!) on the screen. Sometimes it takes long enough that I have impatiently clicked the quick start button 3 or 4 times and then they all start.
Oz, one of the things I learned is that some of the add ons bother 3.0.5, but you may not have the bad boys. Beyond that I have no idea why my attempts with 3.0.5 failed. Has the Mozilla support worked when you needed it? In some of the forums I went to there was a feeling near anger in their criticism of Mozilla, and its support. I'm inclined to be a bit disappointed, but its a free product, and version 2 works pretty darn good. Maybe I'll try 3.0.5 again in a few months.