PDA

View Full Version : 5 Pieces for a Championship Run

kmspeaks
04-02-2007, 05:18 PM
In its March 26 issue ESPN the magazine had an article about the pieces needed to make a championship run in the NCAA tournament. They listed 5 types of players that were essential to recent championship teams.
1. Relentless Big (ex. Nick Fazekas, Roy Hibbert)
2. Garbage Man (ex. Brandan Wright, Al Horford)
3. Fearless Gunner (ex. Lee Humphrey, Chris Lofton)
4. Penetrator (ex. Darren Collison, Ty Lawson)
5. Stopper (ex. Greg Oden, Jamon Gordon and Zabian Dowdell)

My question is who on Duke’s roster do you think could fill these roles, either next year or in two years, when several posters believe Duke will have its best chance at a title run.

(I tried to find a link to the article but I’m not a member of ESPN Insider and I have no desire to renew my subscription right now in order to become a member. If there’s anyone out there who is a member and could furnish a link I would greatly appreciate it.)

Bob Green
04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
1. Relentless Big (ex. Nick Fazekas, Roy Hibbert)
2. Garbage Man (ex. Brandan Wright, Al Horford)
3. Fearless Gunner (ex. Lee Humphrey, Chris Lofton)
4. Penetrator (ex. Darren Collison, Ty Lawson)
5. Stopper (ex. Greg Oden, Jamon Gordon and Zabian Dowdell)

1. L. Thomas & B. Zoubek
2. K. Singler & D. McClure
3. G. Paulus, J. Scheyer, & T. King
4. G. Henderson & N. Smith
5. D. Nelson

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

FireOgilvie
04-02-2007, 07:09 PM
I would add McClure to the stopper role.

Boston Dukie
04-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Wonder what people think in terms of the relative importance of the 5 player types.

1. Relentless Big - Patterson (if he comes)
2. Garbage Man - McClure, Patterson, Nelson, King, Thomas
3. Fearless Gunner - Singler, King, Paulus, Smith
4. Penetrator - Smith, Henderson, Singler, Nelson
5. Stopper - Henderson, McClure, Smith

Based on this list, it seems the place we are most lacking is fearless big man. Makes me think Patterson is much more important to Duke than some people beleive.

Bob Green
04-02-2007, 11:02 PM
I believe it is a mistake to dismiss the potential of L. Thomas, B. Zoubek, and D. McClure. I desire to see Patterson in Duke Blue as much as anyone, but I am confident that Thomas and Singler can accomplish the job as the two starting forwards. Zoubek will be improved and can contribute 15 quality mpg off the bench next year. D. McClure was a very strong defender and rebounder when healthy and (hopefully) he will be healthy again by the time the season starts.

I do not understand why many people are obsessed with Duke's lack of frontcourt players. We have Thomas (6'8), Singler (6'8"), Zoubek (7'1"), and McClure (6'6"). Plus, T. King (6'8"), a perimeter player offensively but a guy who can bang inside on the defensive end of the court.

Our frontcourt will be fine.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Troublemaker
04-03-2007, 07:32 AM
Makes me think Patterson is much more important to Duke than some people beleive.

The effect of a Patterson commitment would be threefold:
(1) Duke would likely be a top 10 team next season, a strong one
(2) Duke's success over the next three years would be almost completely decoupled from Zoubek's success over the next three years
(3) Greg Monroe would not become a must-get recruit, just an awesome-to-have recruit

Therefore, if you are confident that:
(1) You can handle another season of Duke not being a major player for a championship (likely)
(2) Wojo/K can develop Brian Zoubek
(3) Greg Monroe is Duke's to lose

then Patrick Patterson isn't that important a recruit. His importance depends on those three factors.