PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe signs extension

beach rev
12-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Mods, move this if you need to - but ESPN is reporting that Cutcliffe signed a contract extension through 2015. Good news!

CameronBornAndBred
12-21-2008, 02:06 PM
It's posted on Goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3636416) as well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these extensions after only one year in to the original contract. In this case however I like it. To me it shows that Duke is committed to Cutcliffe's plan, and since Coach commented on it, it shows he is committed to what Duke is doing as well. Hopefully by 2015 Cut is still our coach and we are playing in some top tier bowls. I can see it happening.

sagegrouse
12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
A real milestone.

When is the last time Duke gave a contract extension to a football coach?

sagegrouse

pbc2
12-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I think this shows that Cutcliffe has the support of White and the University. Hopefully, he will now have the resources available to continue to build the program.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Hopefully the estension will pay dividends on the field and in recruiting. Who knows we get a winning season or two under our belts and maybe I would be able to see a DUKE football game on espn or CBS from my new home far away from Durham in Vegas.

killerleft
12-21-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm not big on contract extensions, either. But-

For me, it means that Coach Cutcliffe feels that Duke will continue the fight to upgrade the football program to national prominence. Merry Christmas to all of us Duke Football Lovers!

RelativeWays
12-21-2008, 06:26 PM
It's posted on Goduke.com (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3636416) as well. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of these extensions after only one year in to the original contract. In this case however I like it. To me it shows that Duke is committed to Cutcliffe's plan, and since Coach commented on it, it shows he is committed to what Duke is doing as well. Hopefully by 2015 Cut is still our coach and we are playing in some top tier bowls. I can see it happening.

If we are consistantly going to the meineke car bowl and the papa john"s pizza bowl by 2015 I will honestly be very happy. Top teir bowls will take longer than 6-7 years

killerleft
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
If we are consistantly going to the meineke car bowl and the papa john"s pizza bowl by 2015 I will honestly be very happy. Top teir bowls will take longer than 6-7 years

Indeed they may. But they may not.

OldPhiKap
12-22-2008, 03:29 PM
It is great to hear positive things about the football program. Cut is the man for the job, and I expect my university to follow through on its commitments to upgrade the facilities.

New attitude, new horizons. Go Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 03:32 PM
A nice Christmas present both for Coach Cut and for Duke Football fans! Congrats Coach. Keep up the great work!

SilkyJ
12-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm not big on contract extensions, either. But-

For me, it means that Coach Cutcliffe feels that Duke will continue the fight to upgrade the football program to national prominence. Merry Christmas to all of us Duke Football Lovers!

I'm gonna get yelled at but whatever. I LOVE coach cut and think he is going to do great things for Duke football and right the ship. In many ways he already has.

Nonetheless, signing a guy to a serious contract extension after ONE year where we won FOUR games, and lost DOUBLE that amount is ABSURD.

We are biased b/c of our love for duke but if you objectively looked at the above sentence and it was about another school (and I am factoring in the fact that 4 wins is a solid improvement for us) I think a lot of you would agree with me.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna get yelled at but whatever. I LOVE coach cut and think he is going to do great things for Duke football and right the ship. In many ways he already has.

Nonetheless, signing a guy to a serious contract extension after ONE year where we won FOUR games, and lost DOUBLE that amount is ABSURD.

We are biased b/c of our love for duke but if you objectively looked at the above sentence and it was about another school (and I am factoring in the fact that 4 wins is a solid improvement for us) I think a lot of you would agree with me.

Yell Yell Yell!

No, seriously, he's building a program. That was obvious from the first game on. While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't. The conditioning program started the Monday after Thanksgiving. Players are dedicated. Recruits are excited. Fans are excited. The coaches are excited about being at Duke. Can't ask for more than that, other than going to a bowl game next year ;)

killerleft
12-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Not a bad opinion, necessarily. But you bring that moniker "SilkyJ" out on the practice field and Vince Oghobaase is gonna tear you up!

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't.
That's a really good point. Each game we were better somewhere, just not always at the same time. Next year I expect we'll see a few games where both sides of the ball is complete and it turns into victories unexpected. I think this is the last year Duke will be at the bottom of the ACC for an enjoyable future.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 09:06 PM
That's a really good point.

You're welcome! Even through my pastrami fog my brain is still functioning!:D

SilkyJ
12-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Yell Yell Yell!

No, seriously, he's building a program. That was obvious from the first game on. While the wins stopped, the improvement didn't. The conditioning program started the Monday after Thanksgiving. Players are dedicated. Recruits are excited. Fans are excited. The coaches are excited about being at Duke. Can't ask for more than that, other than going to a bowl game next year ;)

Haha.

Don't get me wrong: I think everyone, myself included, is excited about the future, both in the near-term and the long-term.

Not a bad opinion, necessarily. But you bring that moniker "SilkyJ" out on the practice field and Vince Oghobaase is gonna tear you up!

I'd be sure to wear my bubble boy outfit...which might not even work.

http://fashionindie.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/bubble_boy2.jpg

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-22-2008, 09:53 PM

I take the contract extension as a strong symbolic statement of recognition of what Coach Cutcliffe has already accomplished which is much more than a four win season.

Sixthman
12-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I take the contract extension as a strong symbolic statement of recognition of what Coach Cutcliffe has already accomplished which is much more than a four win season.

Exactly! There is no doubt that the extension sends a strong message of support for the program and Coach Cutcliffe. This is the right message at the right time. Plus, there is no basis for criticizing a contract unless you have read it. For all I know, the two years of extension are voided unless we have three eight win seasons in a row and beat Carolina by 50 in year five.

Kimist
12-22-2008, 11:00 PM
That's a really good point. Each game we were better somewhere, just not always at the same time. Next year I expect we'll see a few games where both sides of the ball is complete and it turns into victories unexpected. I think this is the last year Duke will be at the bottom of the ACC for an enjoyable future.

Agreed!! As the old saying goes, I'm getting too old for this, ah, stuff!!

k

OZZIE4DUKE
12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
That's a really good point.

And tonight's word that Vince Oghobaase is coming back for his 5th (redshirt senior) season is another indication that the players have bought into Coach Cut hook, line and sinker!

formerdukeathlete
12-23-2008, 05:02 PM

This is my only hesitation in getting 100% behind Cut as Duke's "the" K-like coach.

Roofs 05 and 06 classes were ranked by scout at 31 and 36; they were ranked 46 and 56 by rivals. Currently our 09 class is ranked 39 by scout and 50 by rivals and it will likely fall a bit more as the better programs fill their classes.

I had dinner a few months back with one of Roof's teammates, "Ted Roof's my man," I recall him saying, and he commenting about how Ted Roof helped Georgia Tech recruiting while he was a coach there, that he was a terrific, very likable guy, just not an offensively minded, or skilled head coach. Cut is certainly the better offensively minded coach and a head coach, but so far is not a better recruiter than Ted Roof.

Another thing....when Ted was coach and Carl Franks for that matter, after Nan lowered admissions criteria for Football, maybe one or two kids of each class were kids who might not have been admitted before the new policies had been adopted. Looking at what is available on line (such as a commit with 800 SATs), Cut's 09 class seems to have more of these types of players. Roof may have valued academics to a greater degree and Cut appears to focus on geographic desirability.

Harbaugh at Stanford specifically goes after 4 star or better players anywhere in the country who meet Stanford's admission's criteria and their 09 class shows the results. Stanford's class is currently ranked 19th by rivals and 17th by scout.

I think it would actually help the football rankings of our recruitings classes to (really) go after the the highly sought after kids (up and down the East coast) who just happen to be very good students. Certainly, this would help our standing in rankings of teams by SAT averages were the NCAA to release these averages again in the future. Smarter kids, say 4 and 5 star rated kids, might just consider Duke as a top rated academic institution. Seems to me this is a better approach than slugging it out for local 2 star rated kids also recruited by NC State, East Carolina.

Key, for Duke to be really competitive in Football, is to land top 20 recruiting classes. We wont be able to do this focusing on the Southeast, imo. So, again, my reservation on Cut is in the recruiting area. For the time being he is a good fit for Duke. But, if he cant land top 20 recruiting classes (like Stanford this year) then we wont be a top program with him as coach. Academics cant be an excuse for Duke's recruiting. Stanford's 09 class is higher ranked than Duke's with more stringent academic requirements.

More winning should improve recruiting. However, the metric is Stanford's. With little winning they are landing top 20 recruiting classes targeting top students because they are an elite educational institution. Duke should be able to do the same thing, with the right coach.

Devilsfan
12-24-2008, 08:20 AM
Finally a smart AD with guts.