PDA

View Full Version : Frost/Nixon

Channing
12-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I just saw this movie, and thought it was excellent. I didnt live through the period - was the movie accurate? The actor who played Nixon was fantastic.

dukemomLA
12-21-2008, 02:27 AM
I did live through that period of time. Really, really like the movie and felt it was quite accurate in most respects. Frank Langella is a truly fine actor, not only on screen, but with many extraordinary performances on Broadway.

weezie
12-21-2008, 04:49 PM
The more I thought about Frost/Nixon, after seeing it, the better it became...and I thought it was pretty darned good to begin with. The acting was excellent in every role. Well worth seeing.

Just saw "Gran Torino" and it's now a tough flip of the coin between Langella and Eastwood. It's a sweet little movie, Eastwood is fantastic and the kid he plays against is wonderful. Clint Eastwood is magnificently talented.

JasonEvans
12-22-2008, 10:45 AM
I concur with this being a truly excellent slice of American history. Also concur with it displaying one of the finest acting jobs around in Frank Langella's channeling of Richard Nixon. Whodathunk the man best known as a poor knock-off of Bela Lugosi could pull this off!

The consensus in Hollywood is that Best Actor will be a close race between Sean Penn and Frank Langella. I am not sure who I favor at this point.

--Jason

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
I concur with this being a truly excellent slice of American history. Also concur with it displaying one of the finest acting jobs around in Frank Langella's channeling of Richard Nixon. Whodathunk the man best known as a poor knock-off of Bela Lugosi could pull this off!

The consensus in Hollywood is that Best Actor will be a close race between Sean Penn and Frank Langella. I am not sure who I favor at this point.

--Jason

Any votes for Heath Ledger?

Bluedog
12-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Any votes for Heath Ledger?

Yes, for supporting actor. Not lead.

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Yes, for supporting actor. Not lead.

Anything from Milk or F/N in the supporting category?

JasonEvans
12-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Anything from Milk or F/N in the supporting category?

James Franco and Josh Brolin are getting a lot of Supporting Actor talk from Milk. Brolin is also getting some lead actor support for W, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I have not seen Benjamin Button, Revolutionary Road, The Wrestler, or Doubt yet -- but I see the acting races shaping up like this:

Best Actor-- Penn is the favorite. Langella, Pitt, and probably Mickey Rourke are all extremely likely to get nominations. Lots of contenders for the 5th nomination.

Best Actress-- Aside from Meryl Streep being nominated from Doubt, there are no other sure things. I suspect that Anne Hathaway will get noticed for Rachel Getting Married. Frances McDormand may get a nomination from Burn After Reading too. This race is always one of the hardest to predict.

Best Sup Actor-- Heath Ledger will almost certainly win. Philip Seymour Hoffman will be nominated for Doubt. I think James Franco will be nominated for Milk (don't discount the power of the pro-homosexual vote in Hollywood). Lots of other candidates.

Best Sup Actress-- Viola Davis (in Doubt she has a scene where she goes toe to toe with Streep that is supposed to be the acting tour-de-force of the year) and Marissa Tomei (The Wrestler) are locks to get nominations, IMO. Not sure about the rest.

One thing I cannot figure out is where Slumdog Millionaire figures into the acting awards. It may be the Best Picture frontrunner right now. Danny Boyle is a mortal lock to get a Best Director nomination. But, it has to get some acting nomination-- right?

--Jason "hmmm-- perhaps we need a new thread?" Evans

Lavabe
12-25-2008, 09:35 PM
James Franco and Josh Brolin are getting a lot of Supporting Actor talk from Milk. Brolin is also getting some lead actor support for W, but I don't think that is going to happen.

I have not seen Benjamin Button, Revolutionary Road, The Wrestler, or Doubt yet -- but I see the acting races shaping up like this:

Best Actor-- Penn is the favorite. Langella, Pitt, and probably Mickey Rourke are all extremely likely to get nominations. Lots of contenders for the 5th nomination.

Best Actress-- Aside from Meryl Streep being nominated from Doubt, there are no other sure things. I suspect that Anne Hathaway will get noticed for Rachel Getting Married. Frances McDormand may get a nomination from Burn After Reading too. This race is always one of the hardest to predict.

Best Sup Actor-- Heath Ledger will almost certainly win. Philip Seymour Hoffman will be nominated for Doubt. I think James Franco will be nominated for Milk (don't discount the power of the pro-homosexual vote in Hollywood). Lots of other candidates.

Best Sup Actress-- Viola Davis (in Doubt she has a scene where she goes toe to toe with Streep that is supposed to be the acting tour-de-force of the year) and Marissa Tomei (The Wrestler) are locks to get nominations, IMO. Not sure about the rest.

One thing I cannot figure out is where Slumdog Millionaire figures into the acting awards. It may be the Best Picture frontrunner right now. Danny Boyle is a mortal lock to get a Best Director nomination. But, it has to get some acting nomination-- right?

--Jason "hmmm-- perhaps we need a new thread?" Evans

Best Actor competition for Langella: What about Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino?

YmoBeThere
12-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Couldn't they have picked a Buick, say like a Skylark?