PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Dawkins and Stanford's progress

wisteria
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Ever Since Coach Dawkins took over Stanford, I have been paying attention to Stanford's every game.

Stanford has now gone off to a 7-0 start, with tonight's narrow win over a better-than-you-think Northwestern squad. Their opponents have been weak and Stanford hasn't been blowing out anyone, but at least they find ways to win. The players seem to really like Dawkins and buy into his system which is definitely Duke-syle. The fans seem to be less skeptical now. And I heard the refs like him a lot because of his cool demeanor. Tougher games are coming up for Stanford as they head into Pac10 play, but I suspect they'll fare better than the pre-season prediction of a 9th Pac10 finish.

The tough task for Dawkins is recruiting. It was too late for the 08 class (Miles committing to Duke didn't help either), and I think he's only gotten one recruit for the 09 class. It seems that Dawkins has already been burnt a little by Stanford's admission policy.

Go Coach Dawkins!

Ders24
12-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Great to hear that Dawkins has started off well. My brother is out there so it would be great if I could go see them play in person at some point.

Jim3k
12-07-2013, 04:16 PM
Stanford's point guard Aaron Bright has been declared out for the season (http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-s-Bright-out-for-season-with-injury-5042991.php) with a dislocated shoulder which will require surgery in January. This is the third season-ending injury for the Cardinal. Andy Brown's career ended with his 4th ACL tear and Christian Sanders went out with a hip injury.

BD80
12-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Stanford's point guard Aaron Bright has been declared out for the season (http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/article/Stanford-s-Bright-out-for-season-with-injury-5042991.php) with a dislocated shoulder which will require surgery in January. This is the third season-ending injury for the Cardinal. Andy Brown's career ended with his 4th ACL tear and Christian Sanders went out with a hip injury.

Even though he will red-shirt this year, there is no scholarship available for him to come back for a 5th year

Billy Dat
12-18-2013, 11:11 PM
Thought I'd resurrect a 5-year-old thread to laud Stanford's road win over #10 UConn. Big win for Coach Johnny.

Siat
12-19-2013, 12:05 AM
It's disappointing to think about how much better Stanford could have been the last several years if the team had stayed healthy. The talent has certainly been there. Here's an article (http://www.ruleoftree.com/2013/12/17/5221602/dawkins-injury-problem) that talks more about the problem. It argues that the number of serious injuries under Johnny's watch is beyond bad luck and suggests that he (or his staff) may be partly to blame.

Does anyone know if a program can have this much control over keeping guys on the court?

As a Duke transplant out west, it's discouraging to see how many people want to see Johnny replaced. Hopefully the ugly win over UConn tonight will be the first step towards a NCAA berth.

g-money
12-19-2013, 12:15 AM
Thought I'd resurrect a 5-year-old thread to laud Stanford's road win over #10 UConn. Big win for Coach Johnny.

Nice work Billy. This road win is obviously going to be a big NCAA tournament resume-builder for the Cardinal. They'll have a chance to build on that resume against a very beatable Michigan team on Saturday in NYC.

I am going to get my butt down to Palo Alto for a game this Winter and will report back on what I see.

If Mr. drill sergeant Jim Harbaugh can build a powerhouse football program out here in the land of the techno-geeks, I don't see why JD wouldn't be able to do the same in basketball. Keep up the good work Johnny.

BD80
12-19-2013, 04:52 AM
It's disappointing to think about how much better Stanford could have been the last several years if the team had stayed healthy. The talent has certainly been there. Here's an article (http://www.ruleoftree.com/2013/12/17/5221602/dawkins-injury-problem) that talks more about the problem. It argues that the number of serious injuries under Johnny's watch is beyond bad luck and suggests that he (or his staff) may be partly to blame.

Does anyone know if a program can have this much control over keeping guys on the court?

As a Duke transplant out west, it's discouraging to see how many people want to see Johnny replaced. Hopefully the ugly win over UConn tonight will be the first step towards a NCAA berth.

Its not an article, its a fan post. Amusing notion that a coach with Johnny's history of injuries while a player would fail to appreciate the need for flexibility training.

flyingdutchdevil
12-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Biggest win of Johnny's career. Unfortunately, injuries or no injuries, if Stanford doesn't make it to the tournament, this is probably Johnny's last year at Stanford. Hope he's able to pull it off.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-19-2013, 09:54 AM
If Mr. drill sergeant Jim Harbaugh can build a powerhouse football program out here in the land of the techno-geeks, I don't see why JD wouldn't be able to do the same in basketball. Keep up the good work Johnny.

Mike Montgomery was able to do it (10 straight NCAA tournaments; Final Four in '98).

DevilWearsPrada
12-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Congratulations to Coach Dawkins and the Stanford Basketball team!!!! I watched some of the game!!! Great Win!

ChillinDuke
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Biggest win of Johnny's career. Unfortunately, injuries or no injuries, if Stanford doesn't make it to the tournament, this is probably Johnny's last year at Stanford. Hope he's able to pull it off.

Certainly hope so too.

Pac-12 is pretty good this year, boasting #1 'Zona, undefeated Oregon, one-loss Colorado who upended Kansas, UCLA, and 'Zona State. Regardless of the Michigan game, if the Cardinal can manage a winning season in conference (they were 9-9 last year) I think they'll be in.

Obviously a lot of moving pieces, but I think it's as simple as that after their win last night.

- Chillin

JasonEvans
12-19-2013, 11:42 AM
I think shooting for 4th in the conference is a reasonable goal for this experienced Cardinal club. That would certainly get them in as it is hard to see less than 5 Pac-whatever teams making the dance. Beating Michigan on the road this week would be a big deal for Stanford's resume too.

I hope Johnny gets to stick around because he does have some nice recruits coming in (3 top 100 recruits including Reid Travis and one more that is just outside the top 100). He may be on the verge of building something lasting there.

-Jason "other than Jr. Chason Randle, pretty much everyone else who plays for them is a senior -- hopefully that helps them in conference play and the post-season" Evans

BD80
12-19-2013, 12:41 PM
... I hope Johnny gets to stick around because he does have some nice recruits coming in (3 top 100 recruits including Reid Travis and one more that is just outside the top 100). He may be on the verge of building something lasting there.

-Jason "other than Jr. Chason Randle, pretty much everyone else who plays for them is a senior -- hopefully that helps them in conference play and the post-season" Evans

He had 6 Seniors, he's down to 4, having lost 2 to season ending or career ending injuries. He lists 19 on the roster, which must include 6 walk-ons. He has committed all 13 schollies next year, such that one injured senior cannot come back next year after red-shirting this year.

tommy
01-12-2014, 11:56 PM
I was going to post the other day that I thought Johnny was in real trouble, Stanford having dropped their first two games of the Pac-12 schedule, to Cal at home and then to lousy Oregon State, to sit at 9-5 overall, 0-2 in the league, with the only solid non-conference win being over UConn.

But then today the Cardinal came up with a great effort and, despite trying to give the game away in the last 30 seconds by missing multiple free throws, they beat the Ducks in Oregon this afternoon. This is an Oregon team that was ranked #10 in the nation before they hit the skids, as this is their third straight loss. But still, good quality win for Johnny's guys, on the road. They have to gain some consistency and can't suffer any more losses to teams like Oregon State, I don't care where they play. Johnny's got to get to the tournament this year, and with only one solid non conference win, going 9-9 in a league like the Pac-12 is unlikely to cut it. Here's hoping they use today's win as a springboard to a nice winning streak.