PDA

View Full Version : Can a man train to be a faster runner???

EarlJam
12-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm watching Rocky III and have to call BS on one thing. When they first began racing each other merrily on the beach, Apollo Creed would beat the crap out of Rocky (first race doesn't count as Rocky quit before getting reamed by his wife). Anyway, after the reaming, Rocky becomes motivated and the infamous montage begins. Rocky loses by 30 yards or so, then 20, then 10, then finally beats Apollo in a foot race.

That's not realistic is it? I mean, obviously if you weigh say 400 pounds and shed 300, you'll be a faster runner, but both Apollo and Rocky were pretty lean and oiled down all along.

Now, this IS the Rocky series so obviously realism is quite the relative term, but still the question remains:

Can one, through training, become a faster runner? Can he or she gain ground speed through such training?

My guess is no, but I offer it up to you............the Smart Masses.

-Earl to the mo freakin' Jam, who's freakishly long arms make up for a lack of foot speed on the tennis court.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2008, 10:54 PM
smart mass stepping up to the plate..I say yes.
Depending on stride and strategy, one can improve their time significantly without losing any weight. And if you turn some of your weight which is fat into muscle, then even better. But I say without shedding a pound of fat you can improve your time. Obviously this works way better with distance races than sprints, but even in sprints it can happen. It's all in the stride and conservation of energy.

dkbaseball
12-20-2008, 11:19 PM
Back in the early '70s it was being reported that Jerry Claiborne had gotten Randy White down from a 4.9 40 to 4.6 at the same time he was gaining 30 pounds, adding 250 pounds to his bench and moving from fullback to D-line. Aside from the weight training and subsequently more of a burst, the speed gain was attributed to running downhill regularly. I guess the idea is getting the muscles to memorize a longer stride.

For those who don't remember, this would be the NFL Hall of Fame Randy White, aka "Manster." Came to Maryland as a 210 pound fullback, and that was his bench too.

jma4life
12-20-2008, 11:39 PM
One can certainly become a faster runner. Running fast is basically a product of two things. 1. Your stride rate. 2. Your distance per stride.

Your stride rate is relatively genetic and can't be improved much. That said, it is not really the limiting factor in being fast anyway.

Your distance per stride is basically a product of how much force you put into the ground and then get back. This can be improved quite a bit. This is for most people, improved through getting stronger.

Basically, by increasing flexibility to an optimal level, improving technique in running, getting stronger, and practicing sprinting, one can improve quite a bit.

It is also quite a myth that jumping cannot be improved. Jumping is actually far easier to improve and is under less genetic control than is sprinting.

The guy in the video below has increased his vertical from a natural level of 30 inches to 48-51 inches (yea, 51 inches standing) primarily through getting stronger. Obviously he is a genetic freak but he's also a testament to what one can do through hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizMVDaiBhU&feature=related

EarlJam
12-20-2008, 11:48 PM
One can certainly become a faster runner. Running fast is basically a product of two things. 1. Your stride rate. 2. Your distance per stride.

Your stride rate is relatively genetic and can't be improved much. That said, it is not really the limiting factor in being fast anyway.

Your distance per stride is basically a product of how much force you put into the ground and then get back. This can be improved quite a bit. This is for most people, improved through getting stronger.

Basically, by increasing flexibility to an optimal level, improving technique in running, getting stronger, and practicing sprinting, one can improve quite a bit.

It is also quite a myth that jumping cannot be improved. Jumping is actually far easier to improve and is under less genetic control than is sprinting.

The guy in the video below has increased his vertical from a natural level of 30 inches to 48-51 inches (yea, 51 inches standing) primarily through getting stronger. Obviously he is a genetic freak but he's also a testament to what one can do through hard work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zizMVDaiBhU&feature=related

This is why I post such questions here. Seriously. Amazing. Thanks!

UrinalCake
12-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Back in my high school cross country days we would run up a hill, then back down. The idea was that going up you would build leg strength, and going down you would increase your leg speed, both of which are essential to sprinting. Resistance training is the key to increasing your speed - in addition to hills you could also pull a sled or a parachute behind you. Lifting weights with your lower body will help somewhat, but it's generally accepted that actually running will give you better gains.

brevity
12-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Ah, but Rocky DID lose weight. At the beginning of his rematch with Clubber Lang, he weighs 11 pounds less than he did earlier in the movie (either the first Lang match or the charity bout with Thunderlips -- I can't remember which).

As for the montage (montage!), a few thoughts:

1. Apollo Creed is weighed down unfairly because he's wearing more body oil.

2. Rocky runs a little further from the ocean, where the wet sandy terrain is firm rather than mushy.

3. Sylvester Stallone is directing.

Thanks for creating a thread about the greatest 5 or so minutes of the 6-film Rocky series. Also the gayest: check out the rainbow tank top, the black midriff, the lubed muscles, "very nice!", and fancy synchronized footwork in front of the mirror.

blazindw
12-24-2008, 03:10 AM
I ran track for 7 years, and yes, you can get faster through training. I did not gain or lose a single pound from the time I entered high school until the time I left (165). I ran a 12.5 100m dash my freshman year, and I clocked a 10.94 at the end of my senior year on a track trip to Spain, Switzerland and France. Sure, I got stronger, but over time you can train your muscles to go faster and teach them how to get the maximum effort and still increase your stride so that you travel a set distance in a faster period of time.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 11:01 AM
I had a fair amount of success as a running back in HS and playing Club Football at Duke. As I always said, "I may not be quick, but I make up for it by being slow!" I wore #21 and I was just like Jimmy Kiick. (Yes, that is where the 21 in my email address comes from. And if I ever get on Deal or No Deal, my case number will be 21.)

Part of my self designed training program before my senior year in HS included 1) pushing my mother's 5000 pound 1968 Olds Toronado on a level street (yes, when I took the parking break off - it was almost like cheating :rolleyes: )
2) running down hill (I only fell a couple of times)

I thought they helped. I also spent some time on a Universal Gym machine at Hofstra U. doing the leg presses. I finally was able to press the weights labeled 500/750 for the lower and upper foot rest positions. Do I really think I leg pressed 750 pounds? No, but that is what it was labeled. And it sure was heavy!

Now, 75 pounds heavier than my HS playing weight, I'm really slow. And I can't jump, either. When I finish with all that pastrami and corned beef sitting in my fridge, I'm going to start working off that 75 (or maybe now 76 or 77) pounds. It is time. Or so I hope.

devildeac
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM
I had a fair amount of success as a running back in HS and playing Club Football at Duke. As I always said, "I may not be quick, but I make up for it by being slow!" I wore #21 and I was just like Jimmy Kiick. (Yes, that is where the 21 in my email address comes from. And if I ever get on Deal or No Deal, my case number will be 21.)

Part of my self designed training program before my senior year in HS included 1) pushing my mother's 5000 pound 1968 Olds Toronado on a level street (yes, when I took the parking break off - it was almost like cheating :rolleyes: )
2) running down hill (I only fell a couple of times)

I thought they helped. I also spent some time on a Universal Gym machine at Hofstra U. doing the leg presses. I finally was able to press the weights labeled 500/750 for the lower and upper foot rest positions. Do I really think I leg pressed 750 pounds? No, but that is what it was labeled. And it sure was heavy!

Now, 75 pounds heavier than my HS playing weight, I'm really slow. And I can't jump, either. When I finish with all that pastrami and corned beef sitting in my fridge, I'm going to start working off that 75 (or maybe now 76 or 77) pounds. It is time. Or so I hope.

I am amazed at how Ozzie has managed to work corned beef and pastrami into just about every thread I have missed reading over the last 2-3 days. The work of a true PW;). I'll try to do the same:o.

DukePA
12-24-2008, 06:27 PM
I am amazed at how Ozzie has managed to work corned beef and pastrami into just about every thread I have missed reading over the last 2-3 days. The work of a true PW;). I'll try to do the same:o.

I'm not sure if you can handle serious PWing, DD :D Yeah right, you're only an expert :cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Lunch Saturday, lunch and dinner on Sunday, lunch on Monday and dinner on Wednesday.

Answer? I had pastrami and/or corned beef for each meal. Is there any wonder why I have it on the brain???????

I even worked it into my answer in Sue71's steak poll, just to make Devildeac happy!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 09:33 PM
Lunch Saturday, lunch and dinner on Sunday, lunch on Monday and dinner on Wednesday.

Answer? I had pastrami and/or corned beef for each meal. Is there any wonder why I have it on the brain???????

I sure hope I have turkey tomorrow. :eek: I need a break from pastrami and corned beef.

sue71, esq
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I sure hope I have turkey tomorrow. :eek: I need a break from pastrami and corned beef.

Sure hope? Don't know what you're cooking yet? ;)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Sure hope? Don't know what you're cooking yet? ;)

I'm not doing the cooking nor planning the menu. I'm at the mercy of my sister in law.

sue71, esq
12-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm not doing the cooking nor planning the menu. I'm at the mercy of my sister in law.

Well I am not cooking either but have been advised we will be partaking in latkes tomorrow night. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 11:03 PM
Well I am not cooking either but have been advised we will be partaking in latkes tomorrow night. :D

I'm jealous!

devildeac
12-25-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm not sure if you can handle serious PWing, DD :D Yeah right, you're only an expert :cool:

Just can't "work" like this part-time or semi-seriously:o;)...

devildeac
12-25-2008, 12:10 AM

I even worked it into my answer in Sue71's steak poll, just to make Devildeac happy!

How many sammiches did you buy?:eek:

devildeac
12-25-2008, 12:11 AM

I think someone makes a turkey pastrami:o:rolleyes:...

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2008, 09:10 AM
How many sammiches did you buy?:eek:

About $50 worth! Lunch Saturday wasn't from Carnegie. My group had lunch at a deli not far from Izod Center (Harold's Deli in the Quality Inn). The pastrami wasn't as good as Carnegie's, but the sandwiches were huge. I took the picture below (left to right: Easy John, a name the filter won't let me say, Captain Sleaze, his wife Red Roof Woman, Brian (he wasn't in my class and I don't know his nickname), Monomoy and Mega - aren't college nick names great! Sounds like a new thread is about to be born) so I'm not in it, but you can see the size of the sandwiches are Carnegie worthy. They sell both 9 oz and 19 oz versions. I of course got the big one and had some left over that contributed to the lunch driving home.

From Carnegie I bought one Carnegie pastrami for lunch and dinner on the way home (it is an 8 hour drive, 9 with the detour to your house to deliver your sandwiches :) ) and it actually lasted until Monday's lunch because of the carry over, and one Woody which still has one meal remaining in the fridge. I'll wait until tomorrow for that. Good thing it keeps well! At least I hope it does... just don't tell the salmonella police.

sue71, esq
12-25-2008, 11:17 AM
About $50 worth! Lunch Saturday wasn't from Carnegie. My group had lunch at a deli not far from Izod Center (Harold's Deli in the Quality Inn). The pastrami wasn't as good as Carnegie's, but the sandwiches were huge.

Harold's rocks! I love Harolds! Harold used to run... hmmm... 2nd Ave Deli? One of the biggies in NYC, anyway.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-25-2008, 12:30 PM
How hard would a man have to train to get as tall as Ben Wallace? Find out from Ben Wallace himself

Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqCtWPyRFJw)

devildeac
12-25-2008, 01:38 PM
About $50 worth! Lunch Saturday wasn't from Carnegie. My group had lunch at a deli not far from Izod Center (Harold's Deli in the Quality Inn). The pastrami wasn't as good as Carnegie's, but the sandwiches were huge. I took the picture below (left to right: Easy John, a name the filter won't let me say, Captain Sleaze, his wife Red Roof Woman, Brian (he wasn't in my class and I don't know his nickname), Monomoy and Mega - aren't college nick names great! Sounds like a new thread is about to be born) so I'm not in it, but you can see the size of the sandwiches are Carnegie worthy. They sell both 9 oz and 19 oz versions. I of course got the big one and had some left over that contributed to the lunch driving home.

From Carnegie I bought one Carnegie pastrami for lunch and dinner on the way home (it is an 8 hour drive, 9 with the detour to your house to deliver your sandwiches :) ) and it actually lasted until Monday's lunch because of the carry over, and one Woody which still has one meal remaining in the fridge. I'll wait until tomorrow for that. Good thing it keeps well! At least I hope it does... just don't tell the salmonella police.

Just returning to topic here (sorta): I swear I have seen OZZIE run a 4.5 or 4.6 40 yard dash, even at 75 pounds above his playing weight, when there was a pastrami or corned beef sammich available on the other side of the parking lot...;)

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2008, 04:39 PM

We'll have a pork roast tonight for dinner. When she went shopping at Food Lion yesterday afternoon, she walked out with a basket full of food and they locked the door behind her at 6:03 p.m. Three steps later she remembered she forgot to get the spiral sliced honey ham. So she found another open grocery store and they didn't have the ham, so she got a pork roast.

devildeac
12-25-2008, 04:58 PM
We'll have a pork roast tonight for dinner. When she went shopping at Food Lion yesterday afternoon, she walked out with a basket full of food and they locked the door behind her at 6:03 p.m. Three steps later she remembered she forgot to get the spiral sliced honey ham. So she found another open grocery store and they didn't have the ham, so she got a pork roast.

Pork roasts are good. Think allenmurray:D.

Lavabe
12-25-2008, 08:48 PM

ILJ and I last ate at Harold's about 3 years ago. YUMMMM!!

And you can get the right texture of matzah balls there.:D

Lavabe
12-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Three steps later she remembered she forgot to get the spiral sliced honey ham.

At this point, my mind is saying "no great loss." Then again, I wound up on the losing side of the ham poll.:o

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2008, 10:14 PM
ILJ and I last ate at Harold's about 3 years ago. YUMMMM!!

And you can get the right texture of matzah balls there.:D

Go back and look at the picture - the third plate on the right is a bowl of Matzah Ball Soup! "It" was the size of a softball. I don't know anything about the texture/firmness except he didn't break any teeth on it. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Pork roasts are good. Think allenmurray:D.

The pork roast was excellent. Not kosher, but excellent!

Lavabe
12-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Go back and look at the picture - the third plate on the right is a bowl of Matzah Ball Soup! "It" was the size of a softball. I don't know anything about the texture/firmness except he didn't break any teeth on it. :D

Did you have the pickles from the barrels in the front?

Truth be told, the pastrami doesn't come close to Carnegie (nothing does).

ILJ's memory is that the desserts were not great. She genuinely wasn't as impressed as I. On the other hand, I appreciated the knishes and soup.

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
12-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Did you have the pickles from the barrels in the front?

Truth be told, the pastrami doesn't come close to Carnegie (nothing does).

ILJ's memory is that the desserts were not great. She genuinely wasn't as impressed as I. On the other hand, I appreciated the knishes and soup.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Yes, I had a couple of kosher dill pickles from the bar (not in barrels). Had no room to even look at the deserts. And I said up front that the pastrami doesn't come close to Carnegie in quality, only in quantity, but I ate it anyway :D

devildeac
12-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Yes, I had a couple of kosher dill pickles from the bar (not in barrels). Had no room to even look at the deserts. And I said up front that the pastrami doesn't come close to Carnegie in quality, only in quantity, but I ate it anyway :D

That is somewhat surprising at least if what I read earlier is true that he is the former owner of the 2nd Avenue Deli.

sue71, esq
12-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Ok here's the deal on Harold's. My dad thinks Harold used to run the Stage Deli, not 2nd Ave. In any event, he's a really nice guy and remembers the regulars, even when we only make it once every year or two anymore.

Edit: Harold used to run the Carnegie Deli. My bad. Here's his website (http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/). Check out the rotating pictures and you can see the pickle bar.

Harold's has a pickle and bread bar. :D:D All sorts of pickles and pickled stuff (tomatoes, etc). Different kinds of bread (but really, is there anything other than rye that matters?). Rolls. Good stuff.

Matzo ball soup is a bowling ball size matzo ball and soup brought out in a separate dish to pour over the matzo ball. To be shared by the entire restaurant. ;)

Portions are as such: (1) large (serves 2-3) and (2) ridiculous (serves an army).

I've seen the desserts, but that's all I can say about those. Well ok, they fall under (2) ridiculous above.

I like going to Harold's before flying out of Newark. Leftovers make a great "snack" for the plane ride.

I don't eat pastrami so I can't comment. There's usually a group that goes so we get a 3-4 meat plate and make our own sammies w/ bread from the bar. Maybe a latke or two for the table to share (think frisbee size).

And Dr. Browns Cream Soda. Mmmmmmm. :)

Which reminds me- tonight after my insane adventure getting to LV, we went over a friend's for dinner. Had not only latkes, but matzo ball soup! Happy day, happy day!

devildeac
12-26-2008, 07:55 AM
Ok here's the deal on Harold's. My dad thinks Harold used to run the Stage Deli, not 2nd Ave. In any event, he's a really nice guy and remembers the regulars, even when we only make it once every year or two anymore.

Edit: Harold used to run the Carnegie Deli. My bad. Here's his website (http://www.haroldsfamousdeli.com/). Check out the rotating pictures and you can see the pickle bar.

Harold's has a pickle and bread bar. :D:D All sorts of pickles and pickled stuff (tomatoes, etc). Different kinds of bread (but really, is there anything other than rye that matters?). Rolls. Good stuff.

Matzo ball soup is a bowling ball size matzo ball and soup brought out in a separate dish to pour over the matzo ball. To be shared by the entire restaurant. ;)

Portions are as such: (1) large (serves 2-3) and (2) ridiculous (serves an army).

I've seen the desserts, but that's all I can say about those. Well ok, they fall under (2) ridiculous above.

I like going to Harold's before flying out of Newark. Leftovers make a great "snack" for the plane ride.

I don't eat pastrami so I can't comment. There's usually a group that goes so we get a 3-4 meat plate and make our own sammies w/ bread from the bar. Maybe a latke or two for the table to share (think frisbee size).

Which reminds me- tonight after my insane adventure getting to LV, we went over a friend's for dinner. Had not only latkes, but matzo ball soup! Happy day, happy day!

Bread? Pumpernickle is pretty darn tasty, too.

When my dear, sweet wife or Ozzie bring me a sammich like one of the above, I usually have one with meat and bread only, one with the deli mustard and then concoct a reuben or Rachel with day or two leftovers, if there are any.
Yes, I do share-willingly. And, no, I do NOT eat all those sammies in one day!

UrinalCake
12-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Just returning to topic here (sorta): I swear I have seen OZZIE run a 4.5 or 4.6 40 yard dash, even at 75 pounds above his playing weight, when there was a pastrami or corned beef sammich available on the other side of the parking lot...;)

Is there an easy way to time myself doing a 40? I mean yards here, not the drink :D I've always been curious as to what my time would be. I'm a casual runner but don't really "train" per se, but I do feel like I'm faster than the average person. So would my forty time be comparable to, say, an NFL offensive lineman? Or would I be way faster than that, since as I weigh so much less. I need to know!

My guess would be I could go out to a football field with a stopwatch, but that seems really inaccurate.

EarlJam
12-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Ah, but Rocky DID lose weight. At the beginning of his rematch with Clubber Lang, he weighs 11 pounds less than he did earlier in the movie (either the first Lang match or the charity bout with Thunderlips -- I can't remember which).

As for the montage (montage!), a few thoughts:

1. Apollo Creed is weighed down unfairly because he's wearing more body oil.

2. Rocky runs a little further from the ocean, where the wet sandy terrain is firm rather than mushy.

3. Sylvester Stallone is directing.

Thanks for creating a thread about the greatest 5 or so minutes of the 6-film Rocky series. Also the gayest: check out the rainbow tank top, the black midriff, the lubed muscles, "very nice!", and fancy synchronized footwork in front of the mirror.

This is a funny..........and very true............response! Thanks for the laugh!

:D

-EarlJam

devildeac
12-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Is there an easy way to time myself doing a 40? I mean yards here, not the drink :D I've always been curious as to what my time would be. I'm a casual runner but don't really "train" per se, but I do feel like I'm faster than the average person. So would my forty time be comparable to, say, an NFL offensive lineman? Or would I be way faster than that, since as I weigh so much less. I need to know!

My guess would be I could go out to a football field with a stopwatch, but that seems really inaccurate.

I think it would be a reasonable measure, though I would not time myself. I'd have two friends do the starting and finishing times at the goal line and 40 yard line of a local FB field and run several sprints and average them. Then I'd collapse on the track before heading back home:o.

Lavabe
12-26-2008, 10:51 AM

Harold's pickle bar is what I thought of when y'all were talking Bubbies.

ILJ didn't care for the desserts... not sure why. I, on the other hand, won't talk down the desserts.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Is there an easy way to time myself doing a 40? I mean yards here, not the drink :D I've always been curious as to what my time would be.

Quite honestly, I've never been timed in the 40, or any other distance. Not even in HS football (and I was the starting halfback my senior year). The coaches tried, but the hour glass broke :eek: Today I don't know if I could run 40 yards, even for a pastrami sammich. My arteries could clog. :eek::eek:

Indoor66
12-26-2008, 12:00 PM
My arteries could clog. :eek::eek:

I know that one. Got to worry about that blood that is a colloidal suspension! :eek:

CathyCA
12-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Quite honestly, I've never been timed in the 40, or any other distance. Not even in HS football (and I was the starting halfback my senior year). The coaches tried, but the hour glass broke :eek:

I'm giggling. No, I'm chortling.

devildeac
12-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Quite honestly, I've never been timed in the 40, or any other distance. Not even in HS football (and I was the starting halfback my senior year). The coaches tried, but the hour glass broke :eek: Today I don't know if I could run 40 yards, even for a pastrami sammich. My arteries could clog. :eek::eek:

They tried timing me in the 40 also but no one could interpret the sundial:o.

That one I wanna see-OZZIE running, err, jogging, well, OK, limping for a pastrami and/or corned beef sammich.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

That one I wanna see-OZZIE running, err, jogging, well, OK, limping for a pastrami and/or corned beef sammich.

The second time they tried timing me the hour glass ran out of sand. :D

DukePA
12-26-2008, 08:49 PM

I must give Ozzie a little credit here. During one of the Brunchgates we were hoofing it over to the Devil's Walk. I swear, Ozzie was walking so fast I got shin splints trying to keep up with him :o

YmoBeThere
12-26-2008, 10:13 PM
Shouldn't we shift this thread to the question of:

Can a man run faster than a train?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Shouldn't we shift this thread to the question of:

Can a man run faster than a train?

Is he faster than a speeding bullet? Can he leap tall buildings in a single bound? Can he fly circles around an airplane? If he can, Coach K needs to offer him a scholarship! And loan him to Coach Cut in the off season :)