PDA

View Full Version : My Garmin Nuvi

Channing
12-20-2008, 06:59 PM
I just got a Garmin Nuvi and it has two problems:

(1) it is avoiding highways
(2) it is about 2 seconds slow (so it tells me to turn as I am passing a street).

Any ideas how to fix that?

Ben63
12-20-2008, 07:04 PM

(2) it is about 2 seconds slow (so it tells me to turn as I am passing a street).

1. You probably have some option selected to avoid highways. Look around in settings and options and you will probably find something.

2. Not sure, drive slower??:p:p

alteran
12-20-2008, 11:51 PM

1) Select: Settings: Navigation: Avoidances, then deselect
"highways." Currently, I only have "u-turns" and "traffic" selected as avoidances and find that works pretty well.

2) Yeah, it's sometimes a little bit behind your actual position. It actually predicts your position based on speed and sometimes it's off. Here's some tips:

- Are you sure you're sticking the unit far enough out to get a good signal? If not, try sticking the Garmin out a little further on your windshield, if you can mange it. Better satellite signal means more accuracy.
- Turn guidance to have both status and prompts on. This will cause it to give you plenty of advance notice of turns coming up.
- There will always be at least some delay and you will have to compensate in your head. Hopefully you got that unit that says street names.
- You will sometimes miss a turn. The beauty of GPS is that it just recalculates and you get there 30 seconds late, whereas with a map this would cause you to have to backtrack and waste much more time.

sue71, esq
12-20-2008, 11:53 PM
One more thing- do you have it set for driving a car, or maybe is it set for walking, riding a bike, etc?

Channing
12-21-2008, 12:23 AM
what I love about DBR OTB is you are bound to get an answer to your question, no matter what. I will make adjustments tomorrow when I head out.

YmoBeThere
12-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Which model did you get if you don't mind? I have a 250 sitting in the box as a Christmas present(still wrapped).

Channing
12-21-2008, 09:14 PM
I am not sure. It is the 4.3 screen, and it says street names, but it has no other frills. I think it might be the 250. After making the adjustments today, it works great!

YmoBeThere
12-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Glad its working better, I'm going to have to pay attention to what everyone suggested. I think you might have the 750, the 250 has a smaller 3.5" screen.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Glad its working better, I'm going to have to pay attention to what everyone suggested. I think you might have the 750, the 250 has a smaller 3.5" screen.

The 750 is a nice unit, but doesn't come standard with traffic updates. I think you have to buy the power cord antenna separately and get the annual subscription if you want traffic.

I did learn something interesting about my 680 last night driving in Manhattan. The buildings are so tall that they block much of the satellite reception -not all, but much. The unit had a lot of trouble locating my car on the streets of Manhattan - I was all askew and in the middle of buildings. It still tried to direct me towards my destination (the Carnegie Deli, of course, and fortunately I knew exactly where it was :) ), but it didn't know exactly where I was.

YmoBeThere
12-21-2008, 10:35 PM
The 680 is much too fancy for me...I'm too close to home most of the time.

devildeac
12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
We gave our older daughter a 750 for her B-day in November. They are now $100 less at Sam's so we bought 2 last week to give as Christmas gifts. My ladies have used them more than me:o.

sue71, esq
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I have a 660 that I got a year and a half ago when I moved to LA. There are better models out now and they're half what I paid. And I got a great deal on mine, too, but that's technology for you!

I call mine my Australian boyfriend because I gave it an Australian accent (male). I still haven't settled on a name for him.

One thing about mine... a requirement when I bought it was that whatever model I got had traffic. I pay a few bucks a year for the service, but geez, I live in SoCal. SO worth it.

If I were still in Vegas (or most other places I've lived for that matter), I'd probably pass on the traffic.

devildeac
12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I have a 660 that I got a year and a half ago when I moved to LA. There are better models out now and they're half what I paid. And I got a great deal on mine, too, but that's technology for you!

I call mine my Australian boyfriend because I gave it an Australian accent (male). I still haven't settled on a name for him.

One thing about mine... a requirement when I bought it was that whatever model I got had traffic. I pay a few bucks a year for the service, but geez, I live in SoCal. SO worth it.

If I were still in Vegas (or most other places I've lived for that matter), I'd probably pass on the traffic.

I'd call him Bruce...(and then see if anyone notes the old MP reference)

killerleft
12-22-2008, 12:36 PM
There can never be too many Bruces... right, Bruce?

devildeac
12-22-2008, 12:38 PM
There can never be too many Bruces... right, Bruce?

Right, Bruce!

Turk
12-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Throw it out the window. I'm still a skeptic.

On second thought, if they put a GPS thingie inside of golf balls, I'd pay money for that.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 05:33 PM
if they put a GPS thingie inside of golf balls, I'd pay money for that.

But then it would explode upon impact.

Turk
12-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Ah, I wasn't specific enough. Of course, the GPS would need to be in a hardened core inside the ball to withstand the impact of my overswung driver, not to mention the likely richochet off solid Pennsylvania oak or Gambino Brothers concrete.

I think this is a natural for a John Daly endorsement deal, don't you?

Highlander
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
... It still tried to direct me towards my destination (the Carnegie Deli, of course, and fortunately I knew exactly where it was :) ), but it didn't know exactly where I was.

Guess who eats together at the Carnegie Deli...

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Guess who eats together at the Carnegie Deli...

Well, since I was getting take out and I sat in the car parked in front while someone else ran in to pick it up, I have no idea who else was there. It seems as though DD and I don't travel to the NY area at the same time, which doubles our chances for take out!

YmoBeThere
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Well, since I was getting take out and I sat in the car parked in front while someone else ran in to pick it up, I have no idea who else was there. It seems as though DD and I don't travel to the NY area at the same time, which doubles our chances for take out!

I think you missed devildeac's reference to Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song. If I have the lyrics right...though several websites have it as Karnickey?

OZZIE4DUKE
12-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I think you missed devildeac's reference to Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song. If I have the lyrics right...though several websites have it as Karnickey?

I'm not an Adam Sandler fan, and I tend not to be familiar with his work. So yes, I completely missed the reference. But thanks for trying!

devildeac
12-24-2008, 05:48 PM

And sometimes, Mrs. devildeac goes to NY with one or more of the children and brings back sammiches for Ozzie and me. A trip like that may result in the return of 4-5 sammiches for the hungry NC gang:D.

devildeac
12-24-2008, 05:51 PM

Even devildeac missed the reference to The Hanukkah Song, as whatever I posted about the Carnegie/sammiches was not intended as a reference to that song:o:eek:.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-24-2008, 05:52 PM
And sometimes, Mrs. devildeac goes to NY with one or more of the children and brings back sammiches for Ozzie and me. A trip like that may result in the return of 4-5 sammiches for the hungry NC gang:D.

Bless her heart!

YmoBeThere
12-24-2008, 07:31 PM
Even devildeac missed the reference to The Hanukkah Song, as whatever I posted about the Carnegie/sammiches was not intended as a reference to that song:o:eek:.

Now everyone knows!