PDA

View Full Version : Duke and Top Ten Blowouts

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-20-2008, 06:12 PM
While watching the Xavier game I got to thinking about Duke blowing out top ten out of conference teams. Most people will remember the blowout of Texas and I've heard it mentioned today already. Anyone have any other fond memories of Duke blowing out top ten teams.

The battle in seattle is goin down to the wire 71-72 Gonz with 30 secs left

sagegrouse
12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
While watching the Xavier game I got to thinking about Duke blowing out top ten out of conference teams. Most people will remember the blowout of Texas and I've heard it mentioned today already. Anyone have any other fond memories of Duke blowing out top ten teams.

The battle in seattle is goin down to the wire 71-72 Gonz with 30 secs left

Duke beat the Rod Thorn-led West Virginia team (ranked #6) 111-71 at the Indoor Stadium (Eddie C. was still AD).

#25 in the rafters had 28, while #44 had 27. Thorn had 11.

sagegrouse

LetItBD08
12-20-2008, 06:49 PM
I'm sure someone will come up with a lot of others, but this one always sticks out for me http://www.redorbit.com/news/general/33553/no_6_duke_routs_no_5_michigan_state/. It was right before I got accepted so I was on pins and needles for a couple of reasons.

As an aside, anyone else realize that whenever Duke routs or makes easy work of a top 10 team (see Purdue and Xavier this year), you hear a bunch of college basketball fans claim that that team had no business being in the top 10? It seemed prevalent after the Purdue game, and I already have friends claiming it for today's blowout. Maybe Duke just makes them look real bad. Oh well, only idle speculation.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Duke beat the Rod Thorn-led West Virginia team (ranked #6) 111-71 at the Indoor Stadium (Eddie C. was still AD).

#25 in the rafters had 28, while #44 had 27. Thorn had 11.

sagegrouse

What a great memory! It's amazing what happened when Coach Bubas was in charge. Those who weren't around then, missed seeing a great coach at work.

wisteria
12-20-2008, 07:02 PM
As an aside, anyone else realize that whenever Duke routs or makes easy work of a top 10 team (see Purdue and Xavier this year), you hear a bunch of college basketball fans claim that that team had no business being in the top 10? It seemed prevalent after the Purdue game, and I already have friends claiming it for today's blowout. Maybe Duke just makes them look real bad. Oh well, only idle speculation

IIRC, Purdue dropped BIG after the loss. Tells you that the poll voters also think the same way. Don't be surprised if Xavier crashes in the poll next Monday. Neither Purdue nor X are considered the regular big boys, so they will receive little benefit of doubt.

jv001
12-20-2008, 07:04 PM
What a great memory! It's amazing what happened when Coach Bubas was in charge. Those who weren't around then, missed seeing a great coach at work.

What a one two punch of Heyman & Mullins! And Vic Bubas was a great coach. Great memories. Go Duke!

juise
12-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I was at the #1 Duke vs. #2 Texas game in the Meadowlands and waatching this one in the same arena brought back memories. The way our guards were unconscious hitting 3's in the first half was almost an fun as watching J.J. go off. Well, maybe it wasn't that close, but it was fun to pile up that lead today.

ugadevil
12-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Was Michigan State in the Top Ten a few years ago when Duke played them in East Lansing and the Spartans trotted out the silver jerseys? The Devils came out and pimp slapped Tom Izzo right in the face before the first TV timeout.

LetItBD08
12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Was Michigan State in the Top Ten a few years ago when Duke played them in East Lansing and the Spartans trotted out the silver jerseys? The Devils came out and pimp slapped Tom Izzo right in the face before the first TV timeout.

Yeah they were. The link I posted up a few was for that game. I should have given the context.

blazindw
12-20-2008, 09:15 PM
The 42-point victory in 2001 over #8 or #10 Virginia...the game where Donald Hand had 2 points the whole game. At the time, I think it was the largest blowout of a Top 10 team ever.

ugadevil
12-20-2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah they were. The link I posted up a few was for that game. I should have given the context.

My fault. I remember being quite nervous about that game as well because everyone was making a huge deal about how fired up the Izzone would be. Also, I think the team had already lost to Purdue in Alaska?

Cameron
12-20-2008, 11:03 PM
This is kind of off topic, since it isn't regarding an out of conference team, but my favorite top ten shellacking was our 79-53 victory over Carolina in the '01 ACC championship.

Texas, in the Meadowlands, is a close second. Today felt like that early, as Jon torched the building's confines like a brightly lit Christmas spruce. Jonny Buckets was feeling it today.

ugadevil
12-20-2008, 11:24 PM
I guess this doesn't quite count because Texas was ranked just outside the top 10 (the database has them as #11) but Duke crushed them at MSG in the '03-'04 season. I remember Duhon ripping the Horns apart in that game and another dominant 1st half performance. No wonder Rick Barnes won't schedule any games against Duke in the northeast.

juise
12-21-2008, 12:13 AM
I guess this doesn't quite count because Texas was ranked just outside the top 10 (the database has them as #11) but Duke crushed them at MSG in the '03-'04 season. I remember Duhon ripping the Horns apart in that game and another dominant 1st half performance. No wonder Rick Barnes won't schedule any games against Duke in the northeast.

Good call. On this day five (Pacific time) five years ago, #6 Duke took it to the Horns (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=233540150) in a 28-point whooping.

Highlander
12-21-2008, 12:31 AM
This is kind of off topic, since it isn't regarding an out of conference team, but my favorite top ten shellacking was our 79-53 victory over Carolina in the '01 ACC championship.

Texas, in the Meadowlands, is a close second. Today felt like that early, as Jon torched the building's confines like a brightly lit Christmas spruce. Jonny Buckets was feeling it today.

I remember the one from the week before, a 95-81 defeat of #4 UNC in Chapel Hill w/o Carlos Boozer as well. While 14 points isn't really a blowout, doing it without your starting center in Chapel Hilll was pretty impressive.

Doing it again a week later by 20+ proved it wasn't smoke and mirrors the first time.

Ahh, good times.

Bob Green
12-21-2008, 12:47 AM
While 14 points isn't really a blowout...

IMO, a one point win over Carolina is a blowout. It is all about the win the margin of victory is irrelevant. ;):cool:

juise
12-21-2008, 02:30 AM
I remember the one from the week before, a 95-81 defeat of #4 UNC in Chapel Hill w/o Carlos Boozer as well. While 14 points isn't really a blowout, doing it without your starting center in Chapel Hill was pretty impressive.

Forte with a clear path to the basket... what's that blur closing in on him?

heyman25
12-21-2008, 06:58 AM
In the Heyman Mullins days, the introductions for the team they darkened the stadium and hit the starting five with spotlights. I think the pep band had straw hats and the uniforms had a slight line of red between the dominant blue running up the sides of the shorts. Much more showtime than today's Duke games.

Kimist
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM
In the Heyman Mullins days, the introductions for the team they darkened the stadium and hit the starting five with spotlights. I think the pep band had straw hats and the uniforms had a slight line of red between the dominant blue running up the sides of the shorts. Much more showtime than today's Duke games.

Man, I remember those days. No wild and crazy electronics et al, just a darkened arena with a spotlight or two and unimaginable waves of NOISE! Those sound-absorbing panels in the rafters were of little use.:D

I also miss the dah da da dah dah...da da da dah...Let's go! (surfer-ish music) that was a crowd favorite.

k

Edouble
12-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Texas, in the Meadowlands, is a close second. Today felt like that early, as Jon torched the building's confines like a brightly lit Christmas spruce.

Maybe he torched the building more like a fully lit menorah? :)

I've been thinking about the original question long and hard, and it is difficult to remember a Top 10 OOC beat down like the one we witnessed yesterday, besides the recent Texas, MSU, and Purdue games that everyone has mentioned.

I had to check the record books to be sure of the one I was thinking of, and while my memory was correct, UCLA was only ranked #12 at the time when we humiliated them 120-84 on February 12, 1998.

Cameron
12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Maybe he torched the building more like a fully lit menorah?

Yes that's very true. Funny stuff. My apologies to Mr. Buckets and his family:D

Highlander
12-21-2008, 03:57 PM
Forte with a clear path to the basket... what's that blur closing in on him?

You mean this blur? (http://www.replayphotos.com/dukephotostore/popDetails.cfm?id=16448&rs=16448)
http://www.replayphotos.com/images/D/xlg/Duke-University-Mens-Sports-Basketball-Blocked-From-Behind-D-M-B-00213xlg.jpg

By the way, if Santa is reading this, this print is on my list and available at Replay Photos :)

dukeENG2003
12-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Duke Wisconsin in the Duke invitational (ACC Big 10 challenge) last year? Wisconsin was ranked #5 at the time if I recall, and was basically blown out from the opening tip.

MChambers
12-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Up 31 with about 14 to go. Nice recap here:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140139/index.htm