PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Xavier

Jumbo
12-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Xavier?

Ben63
12-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Comes down to Scheyer and Zoubek, this is a tough call, but I'm going to say Scheyer. He built the imsurmountable lead, and Duke kept it the rest of the game. If I could give a co-MOTM, I would, but since I have to choose, I say JS.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm so torn, but I have to give it to Brian Zoubek. The only other option is of course Jon Scheyer, who had a great scoring game. 9 of 11, and 5 threes. But Brian just had an amazing ALL AROUND game, and he set the tone for the most amazing half we have seen in a long time. He started with a block, a shot, an old fashioned 3 pt play, and his passing was too cool. He earned my vote for all around contribution. (and he took a charge..lol, who thinks they can drive through that mountain!?)
By the way, as a team...this is by far the best game for everyone playing together.

Ben63
12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
The only other option is of course Kyle Singler, who had a great scoring game. 9 of 11, and 5 threes.

I believe you mean Jon Scheyer.

Bob Green
12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
I have to vote for Jon Scheyer. He was absolutely great today. This game was won in the first 10 minutes and Scheyer was the catalyst. Honorable mention to Brian Zoubek who continues to play better and better. This was a great team performance.

Jumbo
12-20-2008, 04:15 PM
To answer my own question, it was Scheyer, and it wasn't close. Zoubek, Henderson, Singler -- basically everyone played well. But Jon was just on another level, especially in the first half. And forget about the incredible shooting -- his D was terrific and my favorite play was his drive and beautiful dish for the dunk at the end of the half.

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2008, 04:16 PM
I believe you mean Jon Scheyer.
YES!!! Agh, gotta go edit, thanks Ben
So used to it being Singler! His name is always stuck on my brain.

mgtr
12-20-2008, 04:19 PM
I guess I knew that if I kept voting for Scheyer, I was eventually get it right!

Madrasdukie
12-20-2008, 04:21 PM
This was relatively easy. Jon it was.

DukieInBrasil
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
...gave it to Z, partly to recognize his greatly improved play of late, but in the end Scheyer has to get the game ball. 23 pts on 11 shots is way better than 100% efficiency, and he didnīt take any FTs!!! He helped us push the Xs to the ground and then walk all over them. Great game, nobody that played good minutes played poorly

beltwayBD
12-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I just can't get over his dish to McClure. Zoubek gets it!

Saratoga2
12-20-2008, 04:32 PM
He had a greatgame in all facets. Zoubek also had his best game.

devildeac
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
Jon had a fabulous game. Easy vote for me. Excellent games by Brian and G, too.

devildownunder
12-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I know Scheyer played brilliantly (it'll probably take all 12 days of Christmas to get the smile off Jumbo's face) but Zoubek's play was a quantum leap above anything I've ever seen from him. If we can get that kind of inside play for the rest of the year, this is an elite team that should be right there on that last Saturday of the season.

Clark Kellogg got it right, with Z playing like this the Blue Devils have BALANCE!

NICE!

TaiAdmiral
12-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Scheyer, hands down.

Btw who voted for Marty? Hehe.

elvis14
12-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Jon wins MOTM with Z a CLOSE 2nd place.

jpfrizzle
12-20-2008, 04:52 PM
I believe the game commentators said "Jon Scheyer is stupendous today"

AIRFORCEDUKIE
12-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm giving it to Z, he has made a huge improvement since last year, I remember being scared of a traveling call everytime he touched it last year. Now when he gets it down low I expect something good to happen. Solid play by him all year can take this team a long way.

Ben63
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm giving it to Z, he has made a huge improvement since last year, I remember being scared of a traveling call everytime he touched it last year. Now when he gets it down low I expect something good to happen. Solid play by him all year can take this team a long way.

And he is making his free throws this year. A big guy who can shoot a high percentage from the stripe is a very valuable asset to any team.

dukejim1
12-20-2008, 05:37 PM
Scheyer was the man of the match but I had to make sure Lance got one vote. Most aggressive effort I have seen from him on the offensive end. This looked like the player we hoped he would grow into. Zoubek is showing the results of being in good health and G made some G plays. First half was the best I could remember from a Duke team in last 2-3 years. It was great to see this performance without having to lean so much on Singler. Keep working guys, this could turn out well.

EarlJam
12-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Close but I went with Zoubek. Scheyer had the best overall game but Zoub really set the tone in the first half and was the backbone behind Duke building that huge lead.

Great game Brian!

-EarlJam

greybeard
12-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Brian played brilliantly. However, he has more to show. He could have created several additional scoring chances if he initiated some more of the reception opportunities as they seemed to present; some looked like absolute beauts.

This team can't afford Zoubs not to jump on those type of opportunities to create great scoring opportunities (receptions), if it is to have its best chance to win it all. That said, it was thrilling to see Z creating play on the offensive end for this team, and just as thrilling to see how much his teammates are ready for it.

Scheyer was the man of the match. You know that he is thinking all the time he is on the court. But, in this game, you never noticed it, not once--how do they say it, the guy was "in the moment," the entire freakin game. Wow!

Bob Green
12-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Scheyer was the man of the match. You know that he is thinking all the time he is on the court. But, in this game, you never noticed it, not once--how do they say it, the guy was "in the moment," the entire freakin game. Wow!

I'd say Scheyer was "in a zone" the whole game. He was awesome!

jv001
12-20-2008, 07:01 PM
I voted for Jon and I did not have to think about it. He was everywhere. defense, rebounding, shooting, passing and I think I saw him selling popcorn one time. Zoubs played maybe is best game to date. The combination of Zoubs and Thomas is really clicking. Gerald seems to be getting into the flow more and if he reaches his potential watch out. Looking forward for ACC action. Go Duke!

Edouble
12-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Scheyer, hands down.

Btw who voted for Marty? Hehe.

You can actually click on the votes to see who voted for whom. A-Tex Devil, a frequent poster here, was responsible for Marty's lone vote... or should I say lone-star vote? Ha ha ha.

ncexnyc
12-20-2008, 07:21 PM
While I would love to say Brian, I can't. Jon earned this one in a big way with his effortless offensive outburst that put Xavier away early in the first half.

geraldsneighbor
12-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I enjoyed the game from the Izod Center. Scheyer is my MOTM. He shot the ball awesome, highly efficient. He also set the tone for the Devils who played a very balanced game. I think the first half was the best half Duke has played since the Texas game in the same building in 05. They defended, hit shots, and hey would you look at this. They went inside...and found success. It was a huge building block today for Zoub. Awesome game today to the staff and players. This layoff will be much more enjoyable then the one following the Michigan L.

gep
12-20-2008, 07:39 PM
I voted for Brian. His start to the game... the layup, foul shot, I think set the tone for the 1st half. In fact, could it even possibly be that Brian's start made X think about the post, even a bit, and as a consequence, gave Jon (and the others) more free space? But of course, Jon's "everything" cemented the tone of the first half:) And, throughout the game, I kept saying "dunk the ball, Brian". And when he finally did, I jumped pretty high off the floor:D

dukelifer
12-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I voted for Brian. His start to the game... the layup, foul shot, I think set the tone for the 1st half. In fact, could it even possibly be that Brian's start made X think about the post, even a bit, and as a consequence, gave Jon (and the others) more free space? But of course, Jon's "everything" cemented the tone of the first half:) And, throughout the game, I kept saying "dunk the ball, Brian". And when he finally did, I jumped pretty high off the floor:D

Although I though Jon played great, I gave it to Zoubek. His pass to McClure for the dunk was the play of the game.

SupaDave
12-20-2008, 08:01 PM
I voted for Jon and I did not have to think about it. He was everywhere. defense, rebounding, shooting, passing and I think I saw him selling popcorn one time. Zoubs played maybe is best game to date. The combination of Zoubs and Thomas is really clicking. Gerald seems to be getting into the flow more and if he reaches his potential watch out. Looking forward for ACC action. Go Duke!

POTD!!!

Classof06
12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
I think Scheyer is the man of the match due to the way he sparked us from the very start of the game (11 pts in the first 4 minutes).

But Brian Zoubek looked great. He was active on both ends of the court and if there was any doubt that Zoubek can become a solid contributor, those doubts are now gone. He still struggles with cheap fouls a little bit, but that happens to younger players. As a junior, Brian's not young, but given the amount of time he's missed in his career, that is to be expected.

I've been saying that Zoubek looks to be much improved, but after this game, it's clear that he is. March is a looooong way away but if Brian can continue to contribute like this, watch out...

Phenomenal performance by Zoubek, Scheyer and the rest of the guys. I couldn't be happier right now.

ACCBBallFan
12-20-2008, 08:59 PM
I voted for Jon and I did not have to think about it. He was everywhere. defense, rebounding, shooting, passing and I think I saw him selling popcorn one time. Zoubs played maybe is best game to date. The combination of Zoubs and Thomas is really clicking. Gerald seems to be getting into the flow more and if he reaches his potential watch out. Looking forward for ACC action. Go Duke!I actually voted for Gerald, though technically Scheyer led in metrics:

Scheyer and Henderson led the way to a rout of Xavier.

Rating Player
76 Jon Scheyer, G
75 Gerald Henderson, G-F
61 Derrick Brown, F
54 Kyle Singler, F
50 Brian Zoubek, C
48 Jason Love, F-C
48 Totals-Duke
46 C.J. Anderson, G-F
44 B.J. Raymond, G-F
36 TOTALS-Xavier
35 Greg Paulus, G
34 Terrell Holloway, G
32 Nolan Smith, G
30 Lance Thomas, F
29 David McClure, F
27 Dante Jackson, G
27 Jamel McLean, F
16 Kenny Frease, C
15 Brad Redford, G
11 Elliot Williams, G
09 Miles Plumlee, F
02 Olek Czyz, F
01 Martynas Pocius, G

Coach K had some interesting lineups like

Paulus/Smith - Henderson- McClure- Singler- Zoubek to counter Xavier's size.

It actually looked lke Singler was playing the SG on Offense and helping bring the ball up court.

Zoubek, Lance and Dave playing relatively close to home did well today.

cascadedevil
12-20-2008, 09:11 PM
I thought today Duke had the best interior defense I have seen in a very long time. Zoubek's ability to leave the 5 and clog the middle, without fouling, made all the difference. His footwork was so much better than last year, it is absolutely amazing. Way to go Brian! Keep up the great work!

MChambers
12-20-2008, 09:28 PM
Although I though Jon played great, I gave it to Zoubek. His pass to McClure for the dunk was the play of the game.

Although that pass was a wonderful play, I'd pick a different play, also involving Zoubek. It came after he drew a charge in the lane. It was a nice play, but what was even more impressive was that G just picked him up off the floor after the play. How strong is Henderson?;)

camion
12-20-2008, 09:52 PM
I voted for Zoubek for the simple reason that I knew Jon would win handily and I thought Zoubs deserved some love. Really though that first half was the best half of team basketall I've see from the Devils in a long time. Everyone deserves kudos.

statik73
12-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Brian's four blocks (I thought I counted five) were huge for our interior defense. There were very few easy baskets from the paint for Xavier.

And the already mentioned assist to McClure was so nice.

KEEP GAINING THAT CONFIDENCE ZOOB!!!!!!!!!

dukemomLA
12-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Scheyer-on-fire was AMAZING tonight, but...my vote had to go with Zoub. He has improved each and every game, gaining confidence and knowing that his presence is essential to Duke moving forward in the Tourney's. He was Awesome. And yes, Jon had a miraculous game...but I expect that of him. Such a high BB IQ, great moves, defends great for his size, etc. etc. etc.

But kudos to Brian Z. Great game and more to come.

greybeard
12-21-2008, 12:03 AM
This team, through others connecting with Zoubek in the middle, put tremendous pressure on the rim, and the poster who said that that opened things up for the Duke offense in ways we have not seen in recent memory hit the nail on the head, at least for me.

The people who noticed Lance's effectiveness, sharpness, deceiveness, ditto.

Gerald showed some wild shooting from three range that was/is terrifically exciting, but that shot off the bounce, from long but short of three range, the one when he was way above everybody, ouch. The guy plays like he did once he got going this afternoon and I will take no abuse from no one when I point out similarities to you know who.

As good as Zoub's was, and he was damn good, and as valuable as he was by opening up the play for others, I still say he left some cards on the table; out of character for how he played, but there it is, he left some cards. Scheyer didn't. MOTG.

I should mention that I could watch Singler forever, and that Smith, Paulus, and McClure played like winners who could have done as much as needed.

Can you imagine what kind of competition the guys who none of us have mentioned, well Marty got his props, have been putting up in practice for the guys who put on this performance to perform at this level? (there is a sentence in there somewhere, but you guys get the point. when guys play like this in a game you know that the guys that they are playing against in practice can really get it done and are. Must have been an amazing few weeks to be on this team. I envy all of them!

Bob Green
12-21-2008, 12:29 AM
The guy plays like he did once he got going this afternoon and I will take no abuse from no one when I point out similarities to you know who.

I'll give you this one seeing as it's Christmas. But we all know Gerald isn't you know who. But he is who he is and today that was a great basketball player.

geraldsneighbor
12-21-2008, 01:54 AM
I am very hopeful that today will be a day we remember as a turning point in Zoub's career. It is a very exciting start for Duke's big's this year between Lance and Z. It has been huge in allowing Kyle to be able to play a better inside-outside game and keep him rested.

greybeard
12-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I am very hopeful that today will be a day we remember as a turning point in Zoub's career. It is a very exciting start for Duke's big's this year between Lance and Z. It has been huge in allowing Kyle to be able to play a better inside-outside game and keep him rested.

Trying to freeze a moment along a compendium might present an accurate picture but never an accurate understanding. The extent to which this team (the team of course includes Zoubek himself) will continue to grow in its ability to take more and more advantage of a very bright and gifted 7' 1" center with an array of talents who is for the first time healthy and growing stronger makes an extremely interesting conpendium to contemplate. I suspect it will be equally exciting to witness. On that I agree with you. Turning points, however, I think are for bicycles.

jipops
12-21-2008, 02:08 PM
The talk is of Scheyer and Zoubek (and rightly so especially for Jon) but Henderson is just not getting enough props on this one. He's finally started to look for his shot more and drain a few on some very nice moves. 19 pts on 7-13. This was the Gerald many have been expecting to see and against a very good defensive squad no less. Could he finally be over the hump with the wrist rehab and stiffness he's been dealing with?

Jon has NBA type ball skills, there can be no doubt about that now. I'm not one who's in to constantly hashing about a players potential after college but this kid definitely has it and made it obvious vs. Xavier.

geraldsneighbor
12-21-2008, 09:13 PM
Gerald is a hell of a player when he uses his mid-range game to his advantage. When people respect Gerald's ability to drive, it opens up the mid-range and the perimeter shot. It was the first tim in a while I have been glad to see Gerald shoot the 3, because this season I felt he has become to reliant on it.