PDA

View Full Version : Oden or Durant

JasonEvans
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
Who would you take with the first pick?

JasonEvans
04-02-2007, 03:57 PM
As an aside...

The word around the Ga Dome today is that Oden is done. He's going pro for sure. The way the refs have called him for so many fouls in the NCAA tourney has shown him that it is time to move on to the next level. Plus, he is said to be more than a little frustrated at the way Ohio State plays ball and his family thinks Matta has done a terrible job of having the team take advantage of Greg's strengths. There is some talk that Conley will leave too, as he agrees with Oden that Matta is one lousy coach.

Interstingly, the buzz is that Durant is thinking about staying at Texas as he wants another shot at the NCAA tourney and thinks he played poorly when the season was on the line. Interesting.

-Jason "as for who I would take... Oden... even though I think Durant will be Rookie of the Year whenever he decides to turn pro" Evans

pacificrounder
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree with Jason completely. Durant is a more immediate impact, but Oden is going to bring some franchise a lot of rings down the line...

rthomas
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Oden is too old. He's gotta be 35 or more.

tux
04-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Well, Matta must be doing something right.

I'd take Oden over Durant. Oden doesn't have Durant's polished skills, but he can change a game a lot with just his defense. And, he's played hurt the whole season, which may have limited him offensively.

Put it this way: after all the Oden hype for the past 3-4 years, I think a GM would be forgiven for taking Oden and having Durant end up better down the road. But, take Durant over Oden and have Oden (with a healthy paw) start dominating... The fans would never forgive you.

Both seem like quality kids...

ikiru36
04-02-2007, 04:38 PM
Hate to nitpick, but it does depend upon the team/situation, a bit. In most cases, I think that teams can't afford to pass up the top Center prospect since Shaq, but Durant is SPECIAL too. Certain franchises/coaches prefer a style of play more suited to Durant, and neither of these guys, barring injury, is gonna be Sam Bowie (who, in all fairness, did succumb more to injury than lack of talent). Taking Bowie out of the picture back then, it's like the legitimate argument between taking Jordan vs. Olajuwon. Since they both are likely of the caliber to build a team around, what kind of team do you want to build and what parts do you already have in place?

BTW, I voted for Durant because his maturity (both physically and mentally) has blown me away for his age. He was actually just about the youngest player in D-1 this year, having still been 17 when classes started. Unbelievable!

jimsumner
04-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Oden.

You can't teach height.

Just ask LaRue Martin. :)

Still, I'd take Oden but I'd sure hold my breath while doing so.

jacone21
04-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I have to go with Durant on his versatility alone. The kid can play 2 and 3, 1 and 4 in spots. He can shoot, post up, midrange, run the floor, lead a break, pass, etc. I just think he'll have a more comprehensive, positive impact on my team than Oden. I think Durant is also more marketable (flashy) and will put butts in seats... and after all, it's all about the money. Oden has impressed me more and more as his wrist has healed. Watching that little hook shot develop has been impressive. But I'm not sold on him being the guy to lead a team to the promiseland. Durant is 18. I know potential is overused, but how good will he be in 4 years?

BobbyFan
04-02-2007, 06:30 PM
If the team with the top pick already has a young talented player at one of these positions in place, then they should make their selection based on need.

However, if all other factors are equal, I'd go with Oden. The main reason is that a scoring wing player is a more common commodity and therefore relatively less valuable than a center of similar quality. And defensively, there is no position more important than center - Olajuwon's Rockets, Ewing's Knicks, Robinson's Spurs, Dikembe's (whichever team) were all among the league's best defensive teams. Oden can be that foundation for an NBA team, and that's a backbone I would love to have.

jipops
04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
whichever one is available, otherwise I'd flip a coin

FireOgilvie
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Take a look at the teams that won the NBA Championship and the MVP in the post-Jordan era.

2005-06 Miami Heat Dwyane Wade
2004-05 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan
2003-04 Detroit Pistons Chauncey Billups
2002-03 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan
2001-02 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
2000-01 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
1999-00 Los Angeles Lakers Shaquille O'Neal
1998-99 San Antonio Spurs Tim Duncan

Obviously every team (minus maybe the Detroit Pistons) has had a dominating center (Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal) that was a major part of the team. I think that Oden has a great chance of being the next dominating center (look what he is doing in college - Ohio State is already in the championship game). If you want championships... you have to take Oden. Durant is really good, but similar guys can drop 30 every night and barely make the playoffs.

You shouldn't underestimate the importance of a good center... they might not score the most points but they always have a major impact on the game and alter the play of the opposing team.

yancem
04-02-2007, 08:11 PM
I think that the easiest way to answer this question is with another question. Who would you rather have Tim Duncan or Kevin Garrnet?

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 08:19 PM
the pistons didn't have one hall of famer center but they did have two big all-star wallaces, even if one is a no-talent loser for obvious reasons.

Wander
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
It sounds like a lame, cop-out answer, but it really just does depend on the team. Do you need a center or do you need a forward?

johnb
04-02-2007, 08:55 PM
I'd trade either Durant or Oden for three picks in the 2nd round so that I could grab Hansblah, Lawson, and Wright.

jimsumner
04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
"Do you need a center or do you need a forward?"

If you're bad enough to get the #1 pick, then you probably need both.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM

Or you barely missed the playoffs and your one ping pong ball came up. It's happened.

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 10:39 PM

the celtics, for one, are not in any great need of a forward.

Boston Dukie
04-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I think as a GM you are actualy better picking 2nd, just take the guy who is left

I just hope the Celtics get 1 of the 2 (BTW, the last time I was this excited about the Celtics and a pick was back when I thought they coul dhave gotten Jay Williams, which would have been great, because it would mean he wouldn't have been in Chicago on his bike that day)

Oden is such a force, he looks very impressive tonight - would love to have seen JJ play with Oden (or Jay Willaims for that matter)

arydolphin
04-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Even if you think you have a good center, most of the teams in the NBA have a guy playing center that would be better suited at the power forward position. Example: the Celtics have Al Jefferson playing the 5, but put Oden on that team and move Jefferson to the 4? That's just scary to think about, Jefferson has been good for 20 and 8 over the past 2 months. Like another poster said, there are more guys like Durant in the NBA than there are like Oden, and thus Oden is more valuable and will go #1.

mr. synellinden
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I am convinced it has to be Oden. I think both have the ability to become top 10 all time players, but how can you pass up a hall of fame caliber center? Working against three NBA caliber big men tonight, Oden was outstanding. He completely changes the game in a way statistics can't measure. And he is still recovering from his wrist injury.

I think defense wins championships.

Jumbo
04-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Oden, no question, and I would have said the exact same thing before tonight's game. His ability to change the game on both ends of the floor trumps even Durant's immense talent.

dukeENG2003
04-02-2007, 11:45 PM
has Kevin Durants defense really ever impressed anyone?

its the same reason that I thought the "Kobe versus T-mac" debate was always stupid. If you can contribute on both ends of the floor, you are a more valuable player, period.

greybeard
04-03-2007, 01:38 AM
There has been one defensive center in I don't know how long to make a real difference in the NBA, and he did that on a team that was terrific offensively, in the half court. Ben Wallace at Detroit. That's the list.

Predicting that Oden will likely have such an impact imo is going way too far out on a limb. Oden could not stop Hibbert straight up. On the other hand, I think that Hibbert has the potential to be a terrific offensive center in the pros, terrific. Don't give me this business that he is not athletic enough. He has great feet and hands and imagination; he gets stronger by the day.

So, if you take Oden with the 1, you better expect that he is at least a 17 point per game scorer inside with a very high percentage and a rebounder on both ends. I think that both are realistic expectations, and for that reason, and his ability to get the ball off the boards and start the break, I'd probably take him 1.

If you don't see him as a scorer, I think that you have to take Durrant.

Troublemaker
04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
Durant. He'll have an easier time trying to take over a game.

freedevil
04-03-2007, 08:11 AM
Oden - after seeing for the first time what he would look like without getting doubled and tripled in the low post, he is going to be great.

dukeENG2003
04-03-2007, 08:24 AM
There has been one defensive center in I don't know how long to make a real difference in the NBA, and he did that on a team that was terrific offensively, in the half court. Ben Wallace at Detroit. That's the list.

Never meant to say that Oden DIDN'T have offensive skills, its that his defense is the tie breaker between the two of them. I think its safe to say that Odens offensive skills are already far superior to Ben Wallaces, he can shoot free throws better with his left hand! The reason the list of centers like Ben Wallace is so short is because of how badly they hurt their team due to their lack of offense, but Oden has showed he has offensive skills as well.

I see him more as an Olajuwon/Ewing/Mourning (all terrific defensive centers WITH offensive skills) type center, all of whom have rings except Ewing, and arguably the only reason Ewing never won a championship was Michael Jordan (who was truly unique). I don't think you're arguing that Kevin Durant is the next MJ are you?

superdave
04-03-2007, 08:44 AM
It took last night to convince me. But Oden's shotblocking has to be the difference between the two. Durant may wind up being better, but not likely by a whole lot.

Thad Matta got exposed last night as well. He saved ALL his timeouts to the last 90 seconds when his team was already out of gas and already down 10-11. He should have burned them every other minute starting with 8 minutes to go in order to give his boys a chance.

Oden and Conley would be wise to find better coaching at the next level.

Shoot, if I were a GM, I would try to trade up and get the 1 and the 2 picks in this draft!

JasonEvans
04-03-2007, 09:25 AM
Well, Matta must be doing something right.

Yeah, he can recruit. Aside from that, I saw plenty of evidence of dreadful coaching last night.

--Jason "what the heck happened to Daequan Cook? I guess Matta figured his team did not need to play a 42% 3-point shooter in the NCAA tournament" Evans

JasonEvans
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
If the team with the top pick already has a young talented player at one of these positions in place, then they should make their selection based on need.

Ok, just for my own edification, lets see how many NBA teams I can name that have a "young, talented player" at the center position and could therefore think about passing on Oden.

Maybe the Rockets if you figure Yao is young (he's turns 27 this year).

The Lakers have Andrew Bynum-- he's playing alright but they could certainly upgrade the position. They's take Oden.

Hmmm, if the Knicks get the first pick, do they decide they are set at center with Eddy Curry and go for Durant? Curry is having a very nice year, though he is far from being much of a defensive presence.

Orlando has Howard (and Darko). Would they shy away from someone else who would clog the middle?

The Suns style would not seem to fit Oden very well -- not that they are going to have a chance to make the pick anyway, but just on a lark I'll say that they might pick Durant over Oden.

Not many... can anyone come up with any others? Could the Celtics possibly say, "Al Jefferson is our future in the middle" and pass on Oden for Durant?

-Jason "my hometown Hawks would certainly take Durant over Oden. The Hawks really need mid-sized wing forwards. They only have 9 of them already" Evans

phaedrus
04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
i think the rockets, the spurs, and the magic are the only teams that would take durant over oden. the rockets already have a true franchise center. the magic could probably use durant's scoring more than another big body in the middle. the spurs - well, twin towers round 2 would be as intimidating as last time around, but given their need for all-around athleticism i think they'd go with durant. and you're right, the hawks need oden, but they would obviously pick durant.

al jefferson is good but he is no center. as for curry, he can score but oden would make up for a lot of his defensive deficiencies.

greybeard
04-03-2007, 10:17 AM
Never meant to say that Oden DIDN'T have offensive skills, its that his defense is the tie breaker between the two of them. I think its safe to say that Odens offensive skills are already far superior to Ben Wallaces, he can shoot free throws better with his left hand! The reason the list of centers like Ben Wallace is so short is because of how badly they hurt their team due to their lack of offense, but Oden has showed he has offensive skills as well.

I see him more as an Olajuwon/Ewing/Mourning (all terrific defensive centers WITH offensive skills) type center, all of whom have rings except Ewing, and arguably the only reason Ewing never won a championship was Michael Jordan (who was truly unique). I don't think you're arguing that Kevin Durant is the next MJ are you?

Those three played four years in college with great coaching and competition. Hakeem had a soccer background, which gave him a sense of the use of space and direction changes that is unlike anything the league has seen. Also, as fluid as a guy could be, and imaginative.

Patrick became an exceptional shooter; perhaps the best jump shooting seven footer ever. Alonzo is the second strongest big of his generation and as intense a competitor as there is on the planet. He is also nasty, and has worked on his game with the best--against Patrick and Dek every summer for like 15 years.

Oden has a nice jump hook. His hanging on the rim all the time is immature and also a technical foul (how come they never call that?) Durant seems much more together, and has as fluid a game as I've seen.

I think that Oden's offensive abilities, while raw, are real, but I am no expert. I will say it again, if you do not project him as a force offensively, and I think that that is an if, you must take Durant. The predictions of defensive domination are way, way off the mark.

Zeb
04-03-2007, 11:48 AM
I have never seen anyone with Durant's size (7'6" wingspan! Repeat: 7'6" wingspan!) handle, pass, and shoot the ball as well as he does. He has an unbelievable breadth of offensive skills for an 18 year old. And he's a fiery competitor. And he will only get stronger. To me he looks like Kobe Bryant in Kevin Garnett's body. I think that's pretty potent.

On the flip side, I won't try to argue that Oden is not an outstanding NBA prospect. He is. But here's a few knocks against him:

1) Oden has been far from dominant in his brief college career. His wrist injury is certainly a huge question mark--very difficult to know to what degree that has limited him this season. But he injured the darn thing nearly a year ago right? You'd think over the past month we'd have seen more from him. Last night's game was the type of performance I'd have expected most nights--instead it seemed like an outlier.

2) I assume that Oden's birth certificate is accurate, but given that his face looks like he's 30, I also wonder if his body is so mature that there is less "upside" for him to fill out his frame.

3) The wrist injury adds a further question mark: this could be a freak one time thing, or it could be an indication that he's susceptible to injury.

Given all that, I think its far from obvious who to pick first. With perfect hindsight, I think everyone would take Jordan over Hakeem. I think a similar choice is in front of NBA GMs now--pick the center who will probably be great, or the wing who might be a one of a kind talent.

I would take Durant.

JasonEvans
04-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have more than one season worth of performance upon which to make this choice?

--Jason "Grrrrr-- I hate early entry" Evans

Zeb
04-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I hope the next NBA labor agreement goes to a MLB type of system--you can get drafted out of high school, but if you enroll in college you must stay there at least 2 (or dare to dream 3) years.

It is so weird to hope new recruits play well but not TOO well.

ikiru36
04-03-2007, 12:41 PM
I hope the next NBA labor agreement goes to a MLB type of system--you can get drafted out of high school, but if you enroll in college you must stay there at least 2 (or dare to dream 3) years.

This issue is discussed more at length in another thread, but WORD!

dukeENG2003
04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I fail to see how people see it as an "if" that Oden will be a dominant offensive force. He has put up quite respectable numbers considering his team has a tendency to totally forget about him. When he gets the ball, he has a variety of good, strong moves he can make, rarely turns the ball over, and knows how to finish. He put up an incredible 1.63 points per shot this year, and shoots a Boozer like 61.6% from the field. Even if you compare PPWS (points per shot, weighted for 3 pt attempts), he's better than even Durant! If he had a team (and a coach) that knew how to better use his offensive skills, and can learn how to stay out of trouble (he only played an average of 28 mpg this year) he could have put up absolutely incredible numbers.

And to say he is injury prone? He played through the tournament where he hurt that wrist, I think the guy is plenty tough.

Zeb
04-03-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm not one who thinks Oden will not be a good offensive option. He will be.

However, you imply with you points per shot comment that he will be better on offense than Durant. I definitely disagree with you there. Points per shot is an interesting stat, but the leaders in FG% are never scoring leaders, and that's not just because scorers are selfish gunners and refuse to pass to better/more accurate options. Durant can get the ball anywhere and score from anywhere. Oden needs help getting the ball in the right spot. That's standard for big men, so it's not a knock. But its a big difference in the two player's offensive skills.

As for injury prone or not tough... never said that. Just said he has one more broken wrist than Durant has suffered. Sample size is way to small to draw much more beyond that.

RepoMan
04-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Oden for sure.

Anyone who doubts the overhwelming effect of a dominant post player in the NBA need look no further than the Heat's performance this year. Without Shaq, but with Wade, not so good. With Shaq, but without Wade, very good.

Guys like Oden are very scarce.

dukeENG2003
04-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Sorry if I came off as blasting you (it was greybeard who stated that it was an "if" that Oden would be an offensive force), I didn't mean to offend (you nor him), just trying to make my point.

My points per shot comment was just to attempt to show that Oden was far underutilized this year. Obviously, those who shoot more tend to shoot a lower percentage (b/c defenses learn to key more on those players, just ask JJ). Never claimed Oden to be a better individual offensive option than Durant, only that he will prove to be a force himself, and that his defense being far superior to Durants tips the balance in my mind, even if those shots rely on his teamates.

The other side of that coin is that a dominant center elevates his teammates shooting percentages more than a wing. Which is a more valuable player, one who can get his own shot, or one who brings not just a superior shooting percentage himself, but that of his teammates as well (it obviously depends on the magnitude of the effect, I happen to think that effect will be large in the case of Oden, but anyone is free to disagree). Sure, end of game situations, you want that one guy who can get his own shot, but which is more difficult to find?

JasonEvans
04-03-2007, 02:52 PM

I have advocated this for a looooong time.

My bigest problem with early entry is the unpredictible nature of it. How can we expect coaches to be able to recruit and prepare their programs for the upcoming season when they have no idea who will and who will not be back at school the next year. I mean, it is not just kids who are studs who leave. Kids who are forecast as good but not superstar players sometimes depart. Heck, until the latest change programs could easily lose kids before they even arrived on campus (Hello, Shaun Livingston and JR Smith!).

By requiring kids to "play the baseball way" and stay thru their junior season the coaches can plan several years down the road without fear of not knowing what would happen.

I do think this would cauise more kids to turn pro directly out of high school-- but I'd take that if it meant more predictability and more time for fans to get to know the stars of college ball.

-Jason "sigh, oh well" Evans

BobbyFan
04-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Oden for sure.

Anyone who doubts the overhwelming effect of a dominant post player in the NBA need look no further than the Heat's performance this year. Without Shaq, but with Wade, not so good. With Shaq, but without Wade, very good.

Guys like Oden are very scarce.

I agree about the importance of a dominant post player. But the Heat's performance following Wade's injury is misleading. The Heat as whole have been much healthier than they were earlier in the season, and the surprisingly effective play from Eddie Jones has certainly lessed the effect of losing Wade.

Wade, at least pre-injury, was still easily the better player than Shaq.

greybeard
04-03-2007, 07:55 PM
-Jason "my hometown Hawks would certainly take Durant over Oden. The Hawks really need mid-sized wing forwards. They only have 9 of them already" Evans

now, that was funny!

Clipsfan
04-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Oden.

You can't teach height.

Just ask LaRue Martin. :)

Still, I'd take Oden but I'd sure hold my breath while doing so.

How much is Durant still growing? Given that he's only 18, I'd have to assume that he may have a couple more inches to go. Think of a sick athletic 6'11" guy who can bomb from 25. Basically, Dirk with an even better offensive game?

Buckeye Devil
04-04-2007, 08:11 AM
As an aside...

The word around the Ga Dome today is that Oden is done. He's going pro for sure. The way the refs have called him for so many fouls in the NCAA tourney has shown him that it is time to move on to the next level. Plus, he is said to be more than a little frustrated at the way Ohio State plays ball and his family thinks Matta has done a terrible job of having the team take advantage of Greg's strengths. There is some talk that Conley will leave too, as he agrees with Oden that Matta is one lousy coach.

Interstingly, the buzz is that Durant is thinking about staying at Texas as he wants another shot at the NCAA tourney and thinks he played poorly when the season was on the line. Interesting.

-Jason "as for who I would take... Oden... even though I think Durant will be Rookie of the Year whenever he decides to turn pro" Evans

What is the source of the information that Oden and Conley, Jr. don't like Matta? I don't want to doubt someone of your knowledge, but I can't believe that this is true.

Oden is probably done at OSU, but there has been no indication in Ohio that he was unhappy. He was 1st team All-America averaging 15/10/3 in a season in which he played left-handed most of the year. Matta nursed him along nicely with the right wrist injury.

Conley, Jr. was given the green light all year and was basically told to play and do what he wanted until Matta told him to stop which he never did. Conley, Jr. has already said that he wishes practice could start tomorrow. Not that it means anything.

Interesting that Conley, Sr. is in the process of becoming an agent and there is speculation that Jr. will wait for this to happen (supposedly in a year) before going pro and that Oden might wait to use Sr. as his agent as well. They have been inseparable for many years and it is hard to imagine one without the other. It is doubtful, however, that they think Matta is a "lousy coach" with conference regular and tournament titles and a National runner up year. No one would buy that line anyway, even from Oden and Conley, Jr.

CMS2478
04-04-2007, 08:15 AM
What is the source of the information that Oden and Conley, Jr. don't like Matta? I don't want to doubt someone of your knowledge, but I can't believe that this is true.

Oden is probably done at OSU, but there has been no indication in Ohio that he was unhappy. He was 1st team All-America averaging 15/10/3 in a season in which he played left-handed most of the year. Matta nursed him along nicely with the right wrist injury.

Conley, Jr. was given the green light all year and was basically told to play and do what he wanted until Matta told him to stop which he never did. Conley, Jr. has already said that he wishes practice could start tomorrow. Not that it means anything.

Interesting that Conley, Sr. is in the process of becoming an agent and there is speculation that Jr. will wait for this to happen (supposedly in a year) before going pro and that Oden might wait to use Sr. as his agent as well. They have been inseparable for many years and it is hard to imagine one without the other. It is doubtful, however, that they think Matta is a "lousy coach" with conference regular and tournament titles and a National runner up year. No one would buy that line anyway, even from Oden and Conley, Jr.

But I think he is a lousy coach too..............Oden NEVER GOT THE BALL ON OFFENSE, unless it was an offensive rebound. Any other coach will kill to have that kind of big guy to work the ball into. OSU was content to bomb 3's and ignore the 7 footer in the post who could completely dominate people. If I were Oden I wouldn't stay around for more of that either. :mad:

phaedrus
04-04-2007, 09:20 AM
speaking of mike conley sr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKDDJH_aU9s

6-footer throws it down from the free throw line.

RepoMan
04-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Wade, at least pre-injury, was still easily the better player than Shaq.

It's not a question of who is "better." Sure, Wade is better. Shaq is an old man. The question, though, is -- what has a bigger impact on team success in the NBA. And, it hard to quarrel with the argument that a dominant post guy is the best way to achieve that goal (Jordan aside). Now, will Oden be one of those guys? Who knows, but I'd take the chance.

JasonEvans
04-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Here is a column about how bad a coach Matta was:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070404/SPORTS/704040371

And another...

http://media.www.westerncourier.com/media/storage/paper650/news/2007/04/04/Sports/Oden-Shows.Maturity.Beyond.His.Years-2822158.shtml

I don't really have time to look for more.

Ohio State is an absurdly talented team with the best big man college hoops has seen in many, many years. That they had a successful season is a credit to Thad Matta's recruiting but certainly not his coaching once the kids got to school.

As for how I know that Oden and Conley were frustrated with Matta this year-- I cannot divulge too much. But, the final Four was played just a few hundred yards from where I am sitting right now and I ran into some folks over the past few days who know some things. I really cannot say more than that.

-Jason "is there anyone who watched OSU Monday night who thought they were a well-coached team?" Evans

dukeENG2003
04-04-2007, 09:57 AM
But I think he is a lousy coach too..............Oden NEVER GOT THE BALL ON OFFENSE, unless it was an offensive rebound. Any other coach will kill to have that kind of big guy to work the ball into. OSU was content to bomb 3's and ignore the 7 footer in the post who could completely dominate people. If I were Oden I wouldn't stay around for more of that either. :mad:

exactly, all that talk I had about ODen being the better draft pick b/c he elevates his teammates shooting percentages. . .

doesn't apply one bit if they don't get him the ball on offense. Doesn't mean he has to shoot the ball everytime on offense, but he needs to touch it.

greybeard
04-04-2007, 10:57 AM
-Jason "is there anyone who watched OSU Monday night who thought they were a well-coached team?" Evans

Me. Well, not exactly, because I didn't watch the finals. But, I did watch them against Georgetown which, on paper, was the better team, imo. Hibbert I knew and predicted would get his against Oden. I thought that Georgetown was vastly superior at the foreward position, which they were, yet they got squadoosh from their three forwards, all of whom have been playing great, as in really, really terrific, consistently for more than two months. For all three to have been shut down has to be a credit to the coach. Oden had nothing to do with it. When he was in, he was head-up on Hibbert on defense and didn't show anything special.

The coach lead them to the final two with no forwards to speak of; if Oden and Conley are dissatisfied with their coach, that ain't the reason that they are leaving.

By the way, I bet most of the money was on Florida. My view, any team that shares the ball the way Florida does has to have the edge on one that puts it, in the main, in one guy's hand.

BTW, Jason, give BK a chance, maybe he'll get it right on the 10th big-forward pick. Not! Wait til my man Belkin comes back.

JasonEvans
04-04-2007, 11:25 AM
BTW, Jason, give BK a chance, maybe he'll get it right on the 10th big-forward pick. Not! Wait til my man Belkin comes back.

I hate to hijack the thread but Billy Knight and Mike Woodson are the worst GM-Coach combo in the NBA and it ain't even close! I go to Hawks games and actively root for the team to lose. When people ask me if I am doing this so they have a better chance at a good draft pick I tell them I don't give a hoot about the draft (the Hawks stupidly gave away their pick this year to the Suns unless it is a top-3 pick), I just want the team to be soooo bad that Woodson and Knight get the boot.

You have got to watch a Woodson-coached team in action to appreciate how crappy they are. There is zero ball movement and they just take terrible shots.

--Jason "I think a solid case can be made for the Hawks being the worst franchise in basketball today" Evans

greybeard
04-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I hate to hijack the thread but Billy Knight and Mike Woodson are the worst GM-Coach combo in the NBA and it ain't even close!" Evans

Been saying the same for years. Belkin is my man, btw, since college. He will turn that team around, if given the chance.

BobbyFan
04-04-2007, 05:59 PM
It's not a question of who is "better." Sure, Wade is better. Shaq is an old man. The question, though, is -- what has a bigger impact on team success in the NBA. And, it hard to quarrel with the argument that a dominant post guy is the best way to achieve that goal (Jordan aside).

Well of course. But, as I explained, your Shaq/Wade example was not a good one.