PDA

View Full Version : Men's Captains for next year?

madscavenger
04-02-2007, 03:00 PM
I've been absent much of this season on the boards (mixed blessing i gather), so if this subject has already been broached and beat to death, i apologize in advance.

Don't know if team captains for next year have been announced, but if not, i believe they should be Greg, Demarcus and Jon. I believe Jon Scheyer should be added after observing him take on multiple responsibilities this year under considerable pressure and demonstrating leadership (despite proper deferrence to the appointed captains) while doing so. He has exhibited the kind of "coach on the floor" knowledge of each player's responsibilities and has shown he understands the importance of everyone being utilized in exploiting our opponent's defenses and executing our offense.

While Greg should remain the point guard, Jon has an excellent chance of developing into that go to guy who "won't let you lose", the key element missing the last few years(Redick was a go to guy, but not the latter - still an all time great though). In his case, more screening may be required, as he ascends to that role (the team can function, by the way, very well with two players in that roll if Kyle turns out as advertised, because Jon plays well off others and with others - i suspect, based on third party reports, so does Kyle. We may be more than pleasantly surprised with next season, barring key injuries of course.

ikiru36
04-02-2007, 03:23 PM
I've been absent much of this season on the boards (mixed blessing i gather), so if this subject has already been broached and beat to death, i apologize in advance.

Don't know if team captains for next year have been announced, but if not, i believe they should be Greg, Demarcus and Jon. I believe Jon Scheyer should be added after observing him take on multiple responsibilities this year under considerable pressure and demonstrating leadership (despite proper deferrence to the appointed captains) while doing so. He has exhibited the kind of "coach on the floor" knowledge of each player's responsibilities and has shown he understands the importance of everyone being utilized in exploiting our opponent's defenses and executing our offense.

While Greg should remain the point guard, Jon has an excellent chance of developing into that go to guy who "won't let you lose", the key element missing the last few years(Redick was a go to guy, but not the latter - still an all time great though). In his case, more screening may be required, as he ascends to that role (the team can function, by the way, very well with two players in that roll if Kyle turns out as advertised, because Jon plays well off others and with others - i suspect, based on third party reports, so does Kyle. We may be more than pleasantly surprised with next season, barring key injuries of course.

All good points, though I wouldn't dismiss McClure from the conversation as well, particularly if his struggles (post-B.C.) were injury related. Prior to that, he seemed to exhibit a maturity and effort (and calming influence on the team) all of which might earn him captaincy. It's hard to imagine Paulus and Nelson not being locks for captaincy (barring incident, as anything less might rightfully be viewed as demotion), but if there were to be a third, I might argue for McClure over Scheyer next year.

If there is to be a single captain from the Sophomore class, it better be someone whom the team itself views as having gone above and beyond in terms of work ethic, leadership...etc. or the others might view it as a slight, in some way. From this perspective, both Scheyer and Henderson seemed rather mature so I'd hate to rank one above another without specifically knowing how they are viewed by their teammates.

FireOgilvie
04-02-2007, 03:25 PM
I would be surprised if Scheyer was a captain. I would expect Paulus and DeMarcus to return as captains... and I believe if a third captain is named it will be McClure. He's technically going to be a junior next year but he redshirted and will be a senior academically.

Wander
04-02-2007, 03:31 PM
No way Scheyer is a captain. We don't have sophomore captains for a century, and then all of a sudden we have two years in a row? I doubt it. Greg and Demarcus are locks, and maybe McClure as well.

Lord Ash
04-02-2007, 03:39 PM
IMHO it should be only Demarcus and Greg. Dave, while I love him, hasn't quite been what I expect from a captain quite yet.

dukemomLA
04-02-2007, 03:48 PM
Lance T. showed wonderful defensive play, and his offensive numbers should rise as he 'beefs up' during the off season. He's shown himself to be a vocal leader in the huddle. Let's give him some respect.

Wander
04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Lance Thomas has as good a chance of being a captain next year as I do.

dukemomLA
04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
:) [QUOTE=dukemomLA;13213]Lance T. showed wonderful defensive play, and his offensive numbers should rise as he 'beefs up' during the off season. He's shown himself to be a vocal leader in the huddle. Let's give him some respect. Gerald Henderson also has a HUGE upside. He also should be considered.

madscavenger
04-02-2007, 04:34 PM
No way Scheyer is a captain. We don't have sophomore captains for a century, and then all of a sudden we have two years in a row? I doubt it. Greg and Demarcus are locks, and maybe McClure as well.

Last year was an anomaly and not just because of the definition. Demarcus and Dave McClure were essentially sophomores in terms of experience. We had sophomore captains by default. Greg and Josh were chosen because it was EXPECTED that they would rise to the occasion and if the team were to go anywhere, they would have to both produce and provide leadership. Injuries provided opportunities for others, but the challenge was pretty large. They did well, but not enough given the situation and their relative youth in the system. By late in the season, Greg had recovered his confidence and production and emerged as a clear leader, which bodes well for the future. Josh did not seem suited to that role in my mind, as he did not exhibit the proper temperment, maturity and focus that leadership requires. In retrospect, there does not appear to have been obvious choices, other than Greg, for a captain. The youth and inexperience of the team across the board virtually demanded more than one captain. Greg got hurt. The role of (player) captain fell on K, but he had to stay in the coaches box, and for a player captain, that has limitations in our system.

Scheyer has the qualities, both tangible and intangible, and we are still young. It is important to have a leadership link to the upcoming sophomore class, if only to guard against a repeat of this years lack of leadership. Jon, however, has earned it in his own right.

Madrasdukie
04-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Lance Thomas has as good a chance of being a captain next year as I do.

Not saying that Lance should be captain next year, but in light of your statement, let's not forget that Coach K specifically singled out Lance as having great leadership potential.

Wander
04-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I'm not trying to knock on Jon, Gerald, or Lance, they're going to be extremely critical to Duke's team next year, and I like all three of them. I expect them to improve a lot too, and I don't doubt that they can be good leaders in the future for Duke.

But the people who even think it's a possibility that any of them ends up being a team captain next year are showing a severe lack of historical perspective. Duke has its first sophomore captain in the history of the program, and you guys really think it's going to happen twice in a row? Last year was an exception.

Greg and Demarcus are the clear leaders of this team. Scheyer, Henderson, and Thomas are not. It's not their fault - they just don't have the experience because they're only sophomores.

adam
04-02-2007, 05:14 PM
I think Paulus, Nelson, and McClure would make a great group of captains next season... Just my opinion.

LetItBD08
04-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Dave, while I love him, hasn't quite been what I expect from a captain quite yet.

Coach K made some comments to the students during the season that behind the scenes Dave and Lance were extremely instrumental parts of the team. Also you could see it in his demeanor before games. It seemed like he really took a leading role in getting everyone on the same disciplined tract. I would not be surprised to see Dave as a captain.

Lord Ash
04-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Lemme also say this; I am NOT a believer in 3 captains for such a small team. Maybe for a football team with 100 players, fine, but I have always been a "one captain" athlete myself. So take it with a grain of salt.

VaDukie
04-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I say just Greg and DeMarcus, with an outside shot Dave is the 3rd.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I say just Greg and DeMarcus, with an outside shot Dave is the 3rd.

I agree, with Dave being a captain along with Greg as seniors in 2008-2009. Perhaps one of this year's freshman will join them as a third captain tnen.

K was quoted as telling Dave he would be a captain as a senior when he recruited him.