PDA

View Full Version : Specific Question for DIRECTV Midwest Users

Lulu
12-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm visiting relatives in the midwest with DirecTV, and trying to figure out what my options are for viewing the game tomorrow. Locally, they're showing Mich St. vs Texas here on the CBS channels.

I noticed 5 channels in the guide with the Duke-Xavier game, channels 80, 380, 381, 390, 391. Are these part of a package you can order (even if for just one month)? The Sports Pack? Can you order single games? What are other Duke fans in the Midwest doing to watch the game tomorrow???

Sorry to clutter the board with this but I really want to watch the game tomorrow, and I'm not familiar with DirecTV. I'm wondering if my only option is to find a sports bar. (Even then, don't most sports bars use DirecTV for their programming these days?)

Thanks to anyone with info. I figured this was the most reliable place to get accurate information.

mgtr
12-20-2008, 08:08 AM
It is most unlikely that the channels you listed will be available to you -- they are for Distant Network Service -- in other words, people who live way out in the country and cannot get local service. Also for those in RVs who don't have a "home" set of stations.
If Fox Sports were broadcasting the game, they would make provisions to see both games. I don't know if CBS does this. They could, since there are plenty of channels reserved for Sunday ticket.
Good luck. Maybe when you are on the spot a little channel surfing will turn up something. It might be worth a call to some sports bars, maybe a cable company or Dish will carry the Duke game.

Cameron
12-20-2008, 09:17 AM
I know at one time a poster here provided a map of CBS's regional viewing plan.. Can anyone provide that link? That would be most helpful as I live in northwestern Ohio.

I'm hoping that, because we are not in Michigan and because Xavier is an Ohio school and more people here would care to see a big name like Duke, our area will have Greg launching half court triples with ease. However, seeing how northwest Ohio Buckeye fans were more than hot when CBS showed Duke-Michigan over Ohio State-Notre Dame two weeks back, I will probably be heart broken.

Here's the kicker, though, I won't even be there. I'll be near the eastern edge of Ohio, in Canton, visiting family. I'm most concerned about by VCR/DVR situation. (I'm confident that eastern Ohio will have Duke-Xavier.)

Acymetric
12-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Ugh I hadn't even thought of that. I'm in Northwest Ohio myself visiting family, I may have to miss this game I s'pose. Rats.

sagegrouse
12-20-2008, 11:26 AM
I am in Steamboat Springs, CO with DirecTV. The Denver feed is the Mich St.-Texas game. The alternate CBS feeds are 728 and 729 (in regular and HD). The Ch. 728 schedule also shows the Mich St.-Texas game. Arrrggghhh!!

We'll see what is actually available at game time. It may be that a local bar can access the CBS East satellite feed.

sagegrouse
'The irony is that Verne Lundquist, the play-by-play announcer, lives here and is a friend'

Acymetric
12-20-2008, 11:29 AM
For those in Ohio, it appears to be thus:

CBS-WANE (not sure what city that is...Columbus? Cleveland? Detroit? Fort Wayne?) has Mich St. v. Texas.

CBS Toledo (WTOL) has Duke vs. Xavier. So thats what you should look for, as far as i can tell.

Cameron
12-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Yes, I was more than relieved to hear that when I called a friend back home during the game, Acymetric. And, yes, CBS WANE is Fort Wayne.

What a game today. Jonny Be Good.