PDA

View Full Version : Duke-Davidson announcers

jimsumner
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM
An interesting twist.

From ESPN release.

"ESPN's NBA and college basketball commentators will switch roles on Wednesday, Jan. 7, during a special basketball doubleheader. Mike Tirico and analysts Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy will call Davidson at Duke at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Dan Shulman and Hall of Famer Dick Vitale (who is in his 30th year with ESPN) providing commentary when the Denver Nuggets host the Miami Heat at 9 p.m. (both games on ESPN).

Vitale, who last called an NBA game on ESPN in 1984, said: "It’s been over two decades since I’ve worked an NBA game, but basketball is basketball at all levels and a free throw is still worth a point. Seeing such talented players as Dwyane Wade and Carmelo Anthony – two players who have gone from Diaper Dandies to Rolls Royce superstars – will bring back so many memories of their incredible performances as college standouts."

Jackson, a standout at St. John's University in the mid-1980's, said: "I'm a fan of basketball at all levels. As a former college player, I've always enjoyed watching Dick Vitale and the energy and passion he has for the game. I can't wait to step inside Cameron Indoor Stadium for the first time, because the energy inside that place is going to be unbelievable." "

Van Gundy, an assistant coach at Providence College and Rutgers University in the late 1980's, said: “I’ve never been to Cameron Indoor Stadium, and I can’t wait to see the atmosphere in person. From an X’s and O’s standpoint, I’m looking forward to see how Duke defends Stephen Curry.”

CameronBornAndBred
12-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Interesting indeed. Vitale doing an NBA game will be pointless. The game is so fast paced, by the time he meanders from his one legitimate comment about the game at hand to his comment that has nothing to do with anything happening on the court, the first quarter will be already over.

DukeDude
12-19-2008, 02:24 PM
I like it. I have never watched a game with Tirico, Jackson and Van Gundy, but it will be nice to hear a new take on the game rather than Vitale or Elmore again. Plus it gives the Crazies an opportunity to be creative.

bdh21
12-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I like it. I have never watched a game with Tirico, Jackson and Van Gundy, but it will be nice to hear a new take on the game rather than Vitale or Elmore again. Plus it gives the Crazies an opportunity to be creative.

The Jackson/Van Gundy pairing is probably the best commentating duo in basketball right now. They have a good rapport, which brings levity to the games they cover. But they are both recently enough removed from the game that they bring abundant insight into what's going on behind the action instead of repeating cliches or following vapid and superficial storylines.

I can't wait to hear them work a Duke game. Hallelujah!

BlueintheFace
12-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Every time somebody criticizes van Gundy I think back to a Lakers playoff game in which Kobe lined up on the block during a Vujacic one and one. Van Gundy said, "Keep an eye on Kobe here. Nobody talks about it, but I always put in my scouting reports that he is the best offensive rebounder in the league off of missed free throws. He makes a move to the lane and then comes around the outside for the put back." What happens next? Exactly that. Kobe does the move and rebounds the ball for the put back. It was pretty impressive... I mean, who calls that kind of a play?

He is just a great color commentary guy.... maybe a bit harsh sometimes, but very knowledgeable.

jv001
12-19-2008, 02:51 PM
When I first saw Jim's Thread Duke-Davidson announcers I said to myself that I hope it's the G-Man. Then I thought pleaseeeeee not Elmore or Vitale. Well this crew should be ok and I'm looking forward to it. Go Duke!

hurleyfor3
12-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Interesting indeed. Vitale doing an NBA game will be pointless. The game is so fast paced, by the time he meanders from his one legitimate comment about the game at hand to his comment that has nothing to do with anything happening on the court, the first quarter will be already over.

Vitale did the national radio broadcast for the 1987 NBA Finals. That was Celtics/Lakers, far more fast-paced than anything the nba puts out today. However, he wasn't full of himself back then.

RainingThrees
12-19-2008, 04:20 PM
Great idea. Cant really say anything more except thats its an awesome idea!! Change of people will bring in something fresh and not the same old same old.

Turtleboy
12-19-2008, 04:34 PM
I like van Gundy a lot, but I have to point out that Duke will be defending it's goal, not Stephen Curry. They will defend against Stephen Curry.

No one will "score the basketball either", for that matter.

tommy
12-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Dick Vitale, as enthusiastic and passionate as he is, last had a "legitimate comment about the game at hand" around, oh, about 1994 or so.

trinity92
12-29-2008, 03:44 PM
This was news to me when I read it online today-- glad I checked around before posting my excited new thread! I am very excited about this-- as much to get some veteran NBA impressions of scheyer, henderson and smith as to see what they have to say about their first experiences in Cameron. Another reason to mark that game on our schedules.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
The Crazies, or someone ;), needs to hold up a sign asking JVG to tell his brother SVG to please trade JJ!

godukerocks
12-29-2008, 10:59 PM
The Crazies, or someone ;), needs to hold up a sign asking JVG to tell his brother SVG to please trade JJ!

That's a great idea. It could maybe be turned into a chant too?

JJ Redick ---- Tell your brother,
Dynomite! ---- Please trade JJ!

A little graduate section to undergraduate section cheer? Or a sign would suffice.

Indoor66
12-30-2008, 08:23 AM
That's a great idea. It could maybe be turned into a chant too?

JJ Redick ---- Tell your brother,
Dynomite! ---- Please trade JJ!

A little graduate section to undergraduate section cheer? Or a sign would suffice.

Bad idea. We need to concentrate on Duke, not the NBA.

godukerocks
12-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Bad idea. We need to concentrate on Duke, not the NBA.

True. I'm still for a sign though.

billyedelin
01-08-2009, 10:25 AM
SearchingForBillyEdelin.com (http://searchingforbillyedelin.com)

Duke prevails, Jeff Van Gundy hates college basketball players

jv001
01-08-2009, 10:37 AM
I liked the article on unc not going undefeated. Yeh and BC really looked good last night. Along with the article on the Gators, Dupay..accused of rape. Wow. Florida's got it going. Go Duke!

yum dukie
01-08-2009, 11:14 AM
this is the first Cameron game i had a chance to watch on tv this season.

the booth that Mark Jackson, JVG, and Tirico were sitting in seemed rather "posh", which is to say it looks nothing like the nosebleed section where all the other broadcast teams have sat before.
was this part of recent renovations?

i kind of enjoyed the quirky view when a camera would pan out from the broadcast booth and you'd see them way up high - but they obviously enjoyed the game no less.

things done changed.

feldspar
01-08-2009, 12:54 PM
No wonder I don't watch the NBA.

Leave it to Jeff Van Gundy to be outraged at good defense after whining about the offensive fouls during the game. Go back to the NBA and its money-grubbing semi-circle rule, Jeff.

roywhite
01-08-2009, 01:07 PM
I liked the commentary, much preferred it to the usual ESPN offerings.

Two things I thought were interesting:

Their reaction to the block/charge calls and a feeling that the current rules and interpretation hurt the overall game flow. The broken lines around the basket that the NBA uses to rule out a charge call makes sense to me.

JVG's explanation of how and why a step back move works better when the player is moving in the direction of his weak hand. That's the kind of technical analysis that adds something to a broadcast.

billyedelin
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM
There's no doubt the analysis was refreshing, certainly Vitale would never mention anything about a step-back.

Van Gundy's tone was just a little salty, almost like most of these kids get too much attention given their skill level in comparison to pro players.

du_bb1
01-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I much enjoyed the announcers over the usual espn staff--
may or may not agree with all their comments, BUT-they did stick to the game and made, I thought, some insightful comments.

Their booth??? certainly not in the rafters ?? out in production truck maybe??

weezie
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Leave it to Jeff Van Gundy to be outraged at good defense after whining about the offensive fouls during the game. Go back to the NBA and its money-grubbing semi-circle rule, Jeff.

Luckily I was at the game (birthday night, too!) and missed Tiny Jeff's most irritating "analysis." Sometimes he makes me get teary-eyed with wanting to throttle him.

dukemomLA
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
What I found most amusing was that 2 of the 3 commentators/analysts had never been to Cameron. (....what...do these guys live in a cave?)

So much fun hearing that their experience at CIS and with students camped out at K-ville left them awe-struck and speechless. GO DUKE!

I didn't have a problem with Mark Jackson. I've never been a fan of JVG in any capacity for which he has (somehow) managed to get a job. Go figure. Perhaps the Peter Principle?

OldPhiKap
01-08-2009, 02:28 PM
It was a welcome break from Vitale. I'm not sure I'd like a steady diet of these swaps, but it was interesting to hear a different perspective on "our" game.

slower
01-08-2009, 02:38 PM
What I found most amusing was that 2 of the 3 commentators/analysts had never been to Cameron. (....what...do these guys live in a cave?)

So much fun hearing that their experience at CIS and with students camped out at K-ville left them awe-struck and speechless. GO DUKE!

I didn't have a problem with Mark Jackson. I've never been a fan of JVG in any capacity for which he has (somehow) managed to get a job. Go figure. Perhaps the Peter Principle?

So what if they've never been to CIS? They are NBA guys. Don't be so provincial.

Van Gundy is great. I'd prefer him ANY time to the lunacy and irrelevance of Vitale or most of the rest of any NCAA announcing crew (with a few exceptions - Bob Knight being fantastic).

DevilWolf
01-08-2009, 03:21 PM
I LOVED the swap and found their comments to be outstanding. Really enjoyed it.

snowdenscold
01-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I LOVED the swap and found their comments to be outstanding. Really enjoyed it.

Agreed. (I commented more in the post-game thread about it).

elvis14
01-08-2009, 04:14 PM
There were announcers? I didn't really notice too much I was watching the basketball game.

DevilBen02
01-08-2009, 04:23 PM

At times, their enthusiasm for the facilities, the character of the players Duke turns out, the fans, etc. made the broadcast seem like a commercial for Duke.
And everyone else whines that Dickie V promotes Duke too much.

Saratoga2
01-08-2009, 04:26 PM

I thought the announcers did a good job and gave inciteful comments while sticking to the game. My main criticism is the time that ESPN allowed for Vitale to be allowed to spout while criticl parts of the game were underway. ESPN should understand that most fans are really interested in the game being played, and not at all interested in the drivel put forth from Vitale. He wasn't even involved, so why put him on?

mapei
01-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Fortunately, their comments were more insightful than inciteful.

;)

I like Vitale but I also enjoyed the change and the impressions of CIS from people who haven't been.

Gooch
01-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Van Gundy's tone was just a little salty, almost like most of these kids get too much attention given their skill level in comparison to pro players.

Count me on the side of enjoying the change up. I didn't hear the same saltiness in Van Gundy's tone--I thought he and Mark Jackson showed an appreciation for the college game. I also was pleased that they seemed to have taken the assignment seriously and done their research. I was waiting and waiting for their traveling joke in the first half...

Jackson and Van Gundy got a little silly at times making fun of each other, but I guess that was their approach to keeping occupied when we were up by a bunch in the second half.

If I had to choose between Vitale vs. the NBA crew on a night-in/night-out basis, I guess I'd pick the NBA crew for the analysis (although would they be able to do that every night?). I do think there is a place for Dickie V, though and think he's done a lot for the college game.

DukieInKansas
01-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Luckily I was at the game (birthday night, too!) and missed Tiny Jeff's most irritating "analysis." Sometimes he makes me get teary-eyed with wanting to throttle him.

Happy belated birthday, Weezie. What a way to celebrate - at a Duke victory.

BobbyFan
01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
JVG was very good last night, which wasn't surprising because he's very good doing NBA games too.

But, outside of his snippy comments with JVG, I don't see the purpose of Mark Jackson. The worst is when he breaks down a replay and just summarizes like a play-by-play guy without any insight.

trinity92
01-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Count me among those who think Vitale is silly, but I think the broadcast demonstrated that any announcer will start meandering when the game is or looks out of reach. When we built a >20 point lead, the NBA announcers were straying from the action and gushing all over Duke as if they were channeling Vitale. Since so many Duke games are blowouts, we shouldn't be surprised Dickie V. has to start commentating on things other than the action. He just does it more obnoxiously.

I was looking forward to the announcer swap, and wasn't disappointed.

Off topic, does anyone else notice the amazing job Zoubek is doing over our last handful of games? He's corralling all those balls that used to bounce off him, and I keep wanting him to get touches. With Z playing so well, I see another dimension to our game that makes us truly worthy of top 5 ranking.

eddiehaskell
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
I like Vitale better.

DukieInKansas
01-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I like Vitale better.

Hey Eddie Haskell - to stay true to your screen name, shouldn't that be Mr. Vitale?

HoopsFan
01-09-2009, 06:45 PM
So what if they've never been to CIS? They are NBA guys. Don't be so provincial.

Van Gundy is great. I'd prefer him ANY time to the lunacy and irrelevance of Vitale or most of the rest of any NCAA announcing crew (with a few exceptions - Bob Knight being fantastic).

I agree, I'd take JVG and Jackson any day, I find their analysis on the mark and entertaining.

KandG
01-10-2009, 01:30 AM
No wonder I don't watch the NBA.

Wow, this only proves how little you understand the NBA when you resort to stale bromides about "money-grubbing" and "good defense".

I thought Van Gundy was his usual funny, opinionated self-deprecating self. He and Jackson have good rapport and were generally refreshing as an alternative to Vitale. As others pointed out, there was a bit too much digression and silly banter when the game got one-sided, but I enjoyed the perspective this announcing crew provided.

Grey Devil
01-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Any game without Vitale is a game enjoyed. He wanders off topic so much that he is loudly irrelevant most of any game I see him announce. I've been very relieved this year that he seems to be doing many other non-Duke games. Unfortunately we'll probably have to turn off the sound for the first Carolina game since it's a lock that he'll be doing that game for ESPN. (I'd sure love to be able to get Duke games on the radio, but California is a bit out of range.) On the other hand I'll probably know much more about what's going on in the game without the sound on and Vitale babbling on about anything but the game....

I actually enjoyed the NBA announcers. It was good to get their perspective on the college game, although I disagreed with SVG's comments about charging fouls under the basket.

Grey Devil

heyman25
01-10-2009, 04:05 AM
Grey Devil
Dick Devenzio cool photo the end of the Bubas Era
You were probably thinking of Jeff's brother Stan who is finally giving JJ a little pt in Orlando. JVG not SVG. I think he has a good point of not allowing a charge when the defender takes a stance under the basket. I liked the 3 and agree Tirico, Jackson and Van Gundy were the best broadcasters since Bobby Knight called the game.

-jk
01-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I'd sure love to be able to get Duke games on the radio, but California is a bit out of range.

Two easy solutions: You can find radio stations that stream. Or my favorite - you can get an XM radio; they broadcast all the ACC games. I was listening to Maryland collapse as I drove home after the Davidson game. And then listened to our pregame show I'd set my xm to record while I watched the warmups. Makes the four hour drive go faster.

-jk

Indoor66
01-10-2009, 09:34 AM
(I'd sure love to be able to get Duke games on the radio, but California is a bit out of range.)

Try this link (http://www.wsfl.com/)or this Link (http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm) for Internet radio with Bob Harris.

Grey Devil
01-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the all the tips.

Yeah, I was at Duke and in the same graduating class as Devenzio.....it was also the beginning of the short-lived Waters era.

I obviously meant JVG, not SVG. Thanks for pointing that out. :o

I didn't know that XM radio had a recording capability. I'll have to check that out, especially since many Duke games here in California are on earlier in the day. Normally I time-shift the games with Tivo so I can watch them later when I'm home and can enjoy them at my leisure (and especially some games -- like the 2001 NCAA champtionship game, which I still have!). Being able to time-shift Bob Harris and then sync with my Tivo would be an interesting little experiment. Trouble might arise during time-outs and half-time, but would be especially worth it when Dickie V is on. (What especially irritates me is when he starts rambling on about having breakfast at the Broken Egg restaurant in Sarasota, FL. Like it has any relevance to the game! Plus, I grew up in Sarasota and know the original owners of the Broken Egg, and although they'd probably love the free pub he would have given them, I doubt that they'd like the rowdiness that he might bring with him, since it was a nice quiet place to get a good hearty breakfast.....although, in fairness, maybe his off-air personality is different.)

Grey Devil