PDA

View Full Version : Virginia random thoughts

whereinthehellami
04-02-2007, 02:14 PM
With the off-season upon us I thought we would look at each ACC team and throw out some random thoughts about each school. I thought we would start at the top of the ACC and go from there. Keep it flame free and maybe even get some of the fans from the other schools to weigh in. It doesn't have to be all Bball related but that should be focus.

Last week was UNC (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1252).

Lets take a look at Virginia:

Probably was the suprise of the ACC, tying UNC for 1st place.

The Bball team lost to App. State, Utah, and Stanford.

Cain (leading RB) and Reynolds (2nd in PTS, 3rd in RB) are gone (seniors) and had decent ACC careers, they will be missed next year for sure.

Singletary (JR, 1st in PTS, 2nd in RB) will be the key for them next year, if he leaves they are in real trouble.

Jeff Jones at 6-4 is their highest rated recruit, ranked anywhere from 50-100.

Jeff Jones is the only recruit consistently ranked in the top 100.

They lost thier only real consistent frontcourt player (Cain) and didn't fill that need at all for next year.

Leitao is intense and that is reflected in his coaching style.

They only lost once (Stanford) in their new basketball arena, the John Paul Jones arena.

Their football team could make some noise this year, as Sewell, their O-line, and their D are pretty solid.

Al Groh will be on the hotseat again and needs to have a solid year, he used the inexperience excuse last season.

Cameron
04-02-2007, 02:33 PM
This is not going to come off as incredibly in-depth or anything, but Dahntay threw down one of the nastiest dunks in Duke history in Charlottesville a few years back. Seeing this Virginia thread just brought it to my recollection. Man, could he fly.

As for this past year's Virginia team, however, I still can't see how they were not better than what they were. I mean, in reality, they probably had one of the top five or six guard combos the ACC has seen this decade in Reynolds and Singletary. When those guys were on, it was pretty fun to watch, I must admit. The Calves were just too inconsistent a team as a whole, though, and that is why their best team of the decade couldn't even last past the Second Round.

I think Leitao has things going in the right direction, though. Virginia will be good for the next few years to come, you can mark that down.

Patrick Yates
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I heard somewhere that Leitao's style was not player friendly. Maybe it was sportsline (when Doyle isn't ripping on Duke and K, his insights are usually pretty good once all the hubris is stripped away) that said that players only put up with being abused when they are winning and winning big. Also, that it was pretty obvious that Leitao verbally abused the kids on the sideline on national TV. None of the players on the team that are any good were recruited by Leitao. None. He is losing (for sure) his 2nd and 3rd best player. Nothing good is coming in next year.

He had a team dominated by talented, or at least hard working, upperclassmen. Next year he will rely on lesser underclassmen. I think next year is a dissappointing year, with another dissappointing recruiting class. Two years from now, UVA is in the tank, bad, and Leitao is a lame duck by the Christmas break.

Football wise, this is the ACC. Next year there are 0 national powers in the league, so who cares? Seriously, who really cares?

Patrick Yates

gw67
04-02-2007, 03:23 PM
If Singletary comes back they should have a decent team. They have three freshmen guards coming in and I would expect Diane or Harris to move to the backcourt. Whoever doesn’t move to the backcourt will team with Joseph at wing. Soroye and Mikalauskas in the middle are decent rebounders and Soroye began to come on as a shot blocker. Replacing Cain may be tougher than one would think but Pettinella, Tucker and Tat may suffice. The Cavs will be experienced and Singletary will be one of the top players in the ACC. They will need increased scoring from Diane, Joseph, Harris, Tucker and Tat. I see them as a team in the top half of the league.

gw67

bird
04-02-2007, 03:28 PM
I see them as a team in the top half of the league.

I want to see UVA's schedule before predicting a finish. UVA has been a home-oriented team two years in a row, disguised this year to a degree by the unbalanced schedule. A tough set of road games in conference = real trouble for UVA, is my prediction.

whereinthehellami
04-02-2007, 04:06 PM
I want to see UVA's schedule before predicting a finish. UVA has been a home-oriented team two years in a row, disguised this year to a degree by the unbalanced schedule. A tough set of road games in conference = real trouble for UVA, is my prediction.

Thats a good point. Are the schedules for the ACC teams supposed to balance from year to year? Will UVA play at Cameron next year? Will UNC go to JPJ arena?

I don't see UVA staying in the upper half of the league under any scenario. Where are there points going to come from? Singletary should really think about leaving this year for the NBA as other teams are just going to wear him down next year.

JasonEvans
04-02-2007, 04:15 PM
There is talk that Singletary will try the draft. I may have missed it, but he has not ruled it out yet.

I was quite disappointed in Leitao's recruiting his first year. If Virginia wants to compete with the better teams in the ACC, they have got to do better than they did this past recruiting season. Leitao had a very successful season on the floor and a brand new (and full) arena to show off. He needed to do better at recruiting.

Virginia will fall back in the pack next season, for sure. Their talent level drops off significantly even if Singeltary comes back. Plus, things just worked out perfectly for them in terms of schedule and bounces going their way and that kind of thing.

I doubt they reach .500 in ACC next year.

-Jason "why would Singletary stay?" Evans

gw67
04-02-2007, 04:18 PM
The ACC three-year schedule is attached.

bird
04-02-2007, 04:51 PM

This is the first time I have looked at DUKE's schedule next year. A LOT more reasonable than this year.

whereinthehellami
04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
This is the first time I have looked at DUKE's schedule next year. A LOT more reasonable than this year.

I agree. Duke has GT and Clemson at home (two of the tougher teams next year). FSU, Wake, and VT on the road (three teams that will be hurting).

The home and away for next year is Miami, UVA, and NCS. Thats not bad at all. NCS should be alot better but without Astur they are a different team.

And one of our primary partners, Maryland will be a different team, should be struggling for most of the year.

Who has an easier schedule for next year?

whereinthehellami
04-03-2007, 01:46 PM

Their primary partners are VT and MD, so they luck out there as those teams have to totally redefine themselves.

Their rotating home and away teams are BC, Duke, and GT. That is not so lucky. They will be lucky to win 2 games there.

They play UNC, Clemson, and NCSU at home. Ouch again. Not much of a shot at winning those games, a waste of their home court advantage.

That means they play FSU, Miami, and WFU away next year. They have a shot at winning all three of those games and really need to or they will be looking bottom half of the ACC standings.

I'll be generous and say that if they keep Singletary, they get lucky and win 8 games.

SMO
04-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Wow, GaTech has a freakin' cakewalk schedule next year!

aro24
04-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I am curious as to why UVA is not getting any more consideration from the media in terms with Patrick Patterson. The last thing I saw on him had UVA on his final list. Considering he would have a chance to play with the most explosive guard in the league in Singletary, and be in a multi-million dollar facility, on a team that desperately needs a post presence - so he would be "the man" from day one....not to mention playing for the guy that just won the ACC coach of the year and for a team that tied for the regular season championship last year.........
Just my thought, but I wouldn't count the Hoos out for PP just yet....

ARo24

whereinthehellami
04-03-2007, 03:53 PM
I am curious as to why UVA is not getting any more consideration from the media in terms with Patrick Patterson. The last thing I saw on him had UVA on his final list. Considering he would have a chance to play with the most explosive guard in the league in Singletary, and be in a multi-million dollar facility, on a team that desperately needs a post presence - so he would be "the man" from day one....not to mention playing for the guy that just won the ACC coach of the year and for a team that tied for the regular season championship last year.........
Just my thought, but I wouldn't count the Hoos out for PP just yet....

ARo24

I'd guess its the same reason that WVU isn't likely to be the choice. Exposure and the chance to make some post season noise. Duke, Florida, and UK all fit that bill and UVA and WVU don't.

whereinthehellami
04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
Starters:
Singletary 6-0 SR
Dianne 6-5 JR
Joseph 6-7 SR
Mikalauskas 6-8 JR
Soroye 6-11 SR

Key reserves:
Harris 6-6 SO
Tucker 6-8 SO
Pettinella 6-9 SR
Tat 6-5 SO
Jones 6-4 FR

The key reserves should all average at least 10 mins/game. Thats a pretty decent starting 5 for the ACC next year. They've got some experience and go pretty deep. I don't see any All-ACC players other than Singletary but there are alot of athletes.

rjbatzler
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
Starters:
Singletary 6-0 SR
Dianne 6-5 JR
Joseph 6-7 SR
Mikalauskas 6-8 JR
Soroye 6-11 SR

This is a pretty decent starting five. Reynolds was their key player, his injury was the reason they lost to Tennesee. They won't be the same team without that guard tandem. Don't overlook the cav's but I say they only win 7 in an ACC that is softer than last year.

VAGentleman05
04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
There is talk that Singletary will try the draft. I may have missed it, but he has not ruled it out yet.

Where are you hearing that? Sean has repeatedly and consistently said that he's coming back for his senior season. I suppose anything's possible, but it would be a complete change of course from every interview he's given this season.

whereinthehellami
04-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I've been seeing some rumblings on other boards that Virginia is still in it with Patterson. He would definately help their frontcourt. Wasn't patterson supposed to narrow down his schools to two or three over the next week?

JasonEvans
04-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Where are you hearing that? Sean has repeatedly and consistently said that he's coming back for his senior season. I suppose anything's possible, but it would be a complete change of course from every interview he's given this season.

I think experience has shown us you cannot completely trust the comments kids give about the NBA during the season. To me, until a kid gives a post-season newser formally announcing he wil not declare, the possibility is always open.

Many kids wait to see how other decisions shake out before making their decision. If Singletary sees all the other potential PGs not turning pro, it could affect his decision. If Conley, Crittendon, Collison, and Lawson all stay in school then this becomes a very PG-lite draft. Perhaps that affects Singeltary's decision.

I cannot see why any PGs stick around until next year, which will probably be extremely PG-heavy with Mayo, Derrick Rose, Eric Gordon, Jared Bayless, and whichever ones of Conley, Lawson, Collison, and/or Crittendon stay in school. There may not be a single PG in the lottery this year and there could be 5 or 6 in the lottery next year. Why would any PG who can turn pro stick around this season?!??!

-Jason "now, if several of Conley, Crit, Lawson, and Collison turn pro then the calculus changes" Evans

JasonEvans
04-04-2007, 09:17 AM
I've been seeing some rumblings on other boards that Virginia is still in it with Patterson. He would definately help their frontcourt. Wasn't patterson supposed to narrow down his schools to two or three over the next week?

He was supposed to narrow to 3 before the Mickie Dee game... and yet he has not. This kid is taking his time and who knows what he will decide.

-Jason "Virginia needs a stud recruit" Evans

whereinthehellami
04-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I was suprised how similar their stats were this past year.

Diane (6-5, JR) and Joseph (6-7, SR) scored about 8 PPG, had 3.5 RBG, shot 44% from 2, 35% from 3, and 75% from the FT line.

There numbers should help fill the void that Reynolds left. Especially if one of them seperates from the pack and steps up his game across the board.

whereinthehellami
04-06-2007, 04:29 PM
Sounds like Mike Scott (6-7, Scout 3-star) looked decent and was aggressive going to the basket. Scott scored 25 points.

UVA posters on The Sabre were saying that Jones (their highest rated recruit, 6-4 WG) did not look too dominant. A consistent outside shooter is a need for the Cavs. All star games can be tough for shooters to shine in though but still the really good ones get their points.

Did anyone go to the game? If so, how did they look?

whereinthehellami
04-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Apparently Jones (6-5, RSCI-59), who verbally committed to Maryland last year, decommitted, and then decided on Virginia, got an earful the other day from the Maryland fans at the Capitol Classic that was played at the Comcast Center. That should liven up that rivalry a little bit for next year. They are primary partners so they play each other twice.