PDA

View Full Version : Interesting K quote re: Michigan and threes

Lord Ash
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Just saw this K quote about the Michigan game

"In the one loss (at Michigan) we had I thought we became too one dimensional in our pursuit of going after the three."

Interesting that K saw it as well, because a lot of fans felt the same way. I wonder if this is something that one sees after the fact, or if during the game he was even working on the guys to go inside more? I wonder if the coaches were saying 'Keep shooting, the numbers will catch up' or if they were actively coaching to change it up, but the guys couldn't?

Anyway, thought people would be happy to see that at least one concern is being recognized and addressed.

On an aside, interesting quote about G, this year and last;

"My feeling is, there still is a little bit of transition. Sometimes you remember who you were last instead of who you are."

K is such a shrink:)

gw67
12-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Gannon/Elmore quoted Coach K as saying that there was not a big difference between the starters and their backups and that he felt there should be bigger differences by now. I don't mean to drive the "play our deep bench" devotees into a tizzy but one spin on that comment is that he wants the top eight players to separate themselves so the team can concentrate its' effort on getting those players ready for the rest of the season. There are obviously other takes on his comment.

gw67

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I take this quote as indicating that K does NOT feel there is an underlying or continuing problem with our offensive focus. Rather, I think he recognized that it happened in this particular game and of course they will want to make sure it does not happen again.

The game sticks out like a sore thumb on the stat sheet. 51% of FGAs were 3's and we attempted just 6 FTs. Like he said, the players settled for the long range shot and made little attempt to get inside by driving, cutting or passing to the post. The first Michigan game is a good point of comparison. 38% of FGAs were 3s and we made the same miserable 21% of them as we did in the second game. But we got to the line 25 times and made 19 of them. That "inside" effort was the difference.

Anyway, I don't think K and the staff feel there is a systemic problem that needs to be addressed or corrected. But clearly they will draw upon the loss to Michigan as a lesson learned.

Duke79UNLV77
12-19-2008, 04:23 PM
How dare he?

Lord Ash
12-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Gannon/Elmore quoted Coach K as saying that there was not a big difference between the starters and their backups and that he felt there should be bigger differences by now.

That was an interesting one too. I think many agree with what he was saying, in a way... you know, like Gerald and Greg and Jon have to step up into a dominant role... but at the same time, it isn't like all the starters are playing POORLY... I feel like our bench has just exceeded expectations (understanding, of course, that two previous starters are technically "bench" guys now.) Not a bad thing to go deep, as long as it is deep and good:)

devildownunder
12-20-2008, 11:52 AM

"In the one loss (at Michigan) we had I thought we became too one dimensional in our pursuit of going after the three."

Interesting that K saw it as well, because a lot of fans felt the same way. I wonder if this is something that one sees after the fact, or if during the game he was even working on the guys to go inside more? I wonder if the coaches were saying 'Keep shooting, the numbers will catch up' or if they were actively coaching to change it up, but the guys couldn't?

Anyway, thought people would be happy to see that at least one concern is being recognized and addressed.

And just when I had given up on the issue.

basketballfan22
12-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Not too sure why this quote surprised you. Clearly Duke went early to Zoubeck in the second half. We kept feeding him the ball. Unfor Zoubeck doesn't have the skill set to be a consistent low post player. Duke will need guys like Henderson and Smith to penetrate.

jv001
12-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Not too sure why this quote surprised you. Clearly Duke went early to Zoubeck in the second half. We kept feeding him the ball. Unfor Zoubeck doesn't have the skill set to be a consistent low post player. Duke will need guys like Henderson and Smith to penetrate.

Better passes to Zoubek would help also. There were 3 poor passes into Brian and Kyle to begin the 2nd half against Michigan. That was a poor way to begin the 2nd half. Face it, no one played well against Michigan. Team defeat. Go Duke!