PDA

View Full Version : Coach Williams makes HOF -- too early?

Hector Vector
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Roy Williams got voted to the HOF today, along with Phil Jackson (some other pioneers made it -- no nba greats).

There is no question that Roy Williams is a HOF quality coach. It's not a hard call -- 1 NC, 5 FF, consistently great teams, no recruiting trouble. However, he is being enshrined at a juncture in his career -- 18 yrs -- that suggests virtually unprecedented accomplishments:

To wit:

Coach K (25 yrs, 3 NC, 9 FF) at time of induction
Coach Knight (27 yrs, 3 NC, olympic championship) at time of induction
Roy (18 years 1 NC, 5 FF) at time of induction (at 18 years K had 2 NC, 6 FF, but would not be inducted for 7 more years)

The only modern precedent for Williams entry this early in his coaching career is Dean Smith's induction in 1982, approx 18-19 years into his coaching career, with one NC (just earned), 5-6 FF, and olympic gold medal. And a legendary reputation in coaching ranks that I can't say Williams has.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
How would it look if you did it by age rather than years as head coach? Roy's odd. He spent quite a while as an uber-assistant under Dean.

Chaney's in and he never went to a FF...

Duvall
04-02-2007, 02:58 PM
How would it look if you did it by age rather than years as head coach? Roy's odd. He spent quite a while as an uber-assistant under Dean.

Chaney's in and he never went to a FF...

But he did win a National Championship in D-II, IIRC.

pamtar
04-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Gimme a break, Roy has not accomplished crap compared to the standard hall of famer. Just look at who he's going in with - 9 NBA Championships!! Yeah he's been consistant but 1 NC with another guy's players does not warrant automatic induction. I like Roy (a little), dont get me wrong, but there is no way he should be in. Hell, I've pulled for Duke for 25 years so maybe I'll get in next year.

Cameron
04-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Hell, I've pulled for Duke for 25 years so maybe I'll get in next year.

LOL. I threw up in the parking lot of a Chili's after Duke fell to VCU this season (I really do need to stop taking this so seriously, though. I'll probably die of a heart attack if we ever lose like Kentucky did in '92). Does that type of allegience warrant an induction?

In all seriousness, however, Roy is deserving of the Hall of Fame. He's accomplished a lot during his fairly short coaching career compared to how long others have been in the business at his age. But, like Hector was eluding to above, I think this may have been a bit too premature when looking at how long it took for K and Knight to get in. You should have to pay your dues for this type of thing, and I don't think Roy has paid them long enough yet. And, lest we forget, his only national title is courtesy of a man who once coached Troy Murphy at Notre Dame.

dukie8
04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
it never has made any sense to me why basketball elects members into its hof in the middle of their careers. shouldn't someone's entire body of work be evaluated as it is in other sports like baseball? roy probably is going to coach another 15 or 20 years. let's say that he gets involved in all sorts of recruiting scandals, gambling rings and/or never makes the ncaat again during the remainder of his career. wouldn't that all be relevant regarding his candidacy?

if basketball really is trigger happy with letting guys in in the middle of their careers, then why not let kobe and shaq in? they certainly are a lot more deserving than roy at this time.

dukeENG2003
04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
also worth noting is that he did not recruit the players he coached to his national championship. However, we know what color glasses we look at Roy through.

Frankly, I thought it was kinda strange that Phil Jackson wasn't ALREADY in than the fact that Roy was to be inducted though. The guy has as many championships as Red, what were they waiting for, #10?

Uncle Drew
04-02-2007, 11:56 PM
The guy has as many championships as Red, what were they waiting for, #10?

If they were they'd be waiting a while. Unless Kobe averages 75 points a game and the rest of the team avareges 50.

Son of Jarhead
04-03-2007, 12:41 AM
Roy (18 years 1 NC, 5 FF) at time of induction (at 18 years K had 2 NC, 6 FF, but would not be inducted for 7 more years)

The only modern precedent for Williams entry this early in his coaching career is Dean Smith's induction in 1982, approx 18-19 years into his coaching career, with one NC (just earned), 5-6 FF, and olympic gold medal. And a legendary reputation in coaching ranks that I can't say Williams has.

Question: Who gets to vote on HOF inductees?

throatybeard
04-03-2007, 06:33 AM
For Roy to coach 20 more seasons, he'd have to hang on to age 77. That's not impossible, but doesn't seem likely.

dukie8
04-03-2007, 07:19 AM
For Roy to coach 20 more seasons, he'd have to hang on to age 77. That's not impossible, but doesn't seem likely.

if you focused on the probability that roy is coaching when he is 72 or 77, then you completely missed my point.

dukeENG2003
04-03-2007, 08:41 AM
The guy has as many championships as Red, what were they waiting for, #10?

If they were they'd be waiting a while. Unless Kobe averages 75 points a game and the rest of the team avareges 50.

exactly my point, what additional achievements were they waiting on from him?