PDA

View Full Version : K on Miles Plumlee

trinity92
12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Excerpt from the article "Duke's Inside Approach" linked on today's DBR's front page

“I think when you’re a big guy, it’s such a huge difference from playing in high school to college,” Krzyzewski said of [Miles Plumlee]. “But he’s got a lot of ability. We just have to keep giving him minutes. He’s a kid that could really shoot up quickly once he gets more comfortable on the court.”

Emphasis added.

Lately the boards here have been heating up on the old "K doesn't go deep enough" gripe, and some have wondered if Miles and Elliot will get enough time to develop this season. At least with respect to Miles, seems K is well aware of his potential and need for playing time.

All is well with the world. Now we can move on to another "Koaching Koncern."

:p

dukelifer
12-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Excerpt from the article "Duke's Inside Approach" linked on today's DBR's front page

“I think when you’re a big guy, it’s such a huge difference from playing in high school to college,” Krzyzewski said of [Miles Plumlee]. “But he’s got a lot of ability. We just have to keep giving him minutes. He’s a kid that could really shoot up quickly once he gets more comfortable on the court.”

Emphasis added.

Lately the boards here have been heating up on the old "K doesn't go deep enough" gripe, and some have wondered if Miles and Elliot will get enough time to develop this season. At least with respect to Miles, seems K is well aware of his potential and need for playing time.

I see the same potential. He moves very well on the court and has good hands and a soft shot. When the game slows down a bit for him- he will make a big step up. He will be a very good to excellent junior and senior. Mark that down. Right now Zoubek and Thomas have made their big steps and Duke is reaping some benefits. The issues with Zoubs and Thomas is that against elite big guys-they are somewhat over matched by either speed or strength. But if they stick to what they do well, and do not try to force things- then the three-headed center will give Duke a presence inside.

Diddy
12-18-2008, 05:22 PM

Emphasis added.

It is one thing to say it. It is another to actually do it in a hotly contested game where the minutes are meaningful.

Logging tons o'mpg in a blowout against a completely mismatched oppenent means nothing.

CDu
12-18-2008, 05:27 PM
It is one thing to say it. It is another to actually do it in a hotly contested game where the minutes are meaningful.

Logging tons o'mpg in a blowout against a completely mismatched oppenent means nothing.

Agreed. This quote from Coach K seems more like coachspeak than anything else. I'll believe Coach K is focusing on giving Plumlee more minutes when I actually see it.

That is unrelated, of course, to the issue of whether giving Plumlee more minutes will help his development and help the team. That's a different issue. But I'll believe Coach K will give a guy extra minutes at the expense of the team's chances to win now when I see him actually start doing it in pressure situations.

miramar
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM
It's true that the minutes against inferior competition may not mean much, especially for the big men who can overpower a smaller opponent. (As I recall, Shavlik scored 20 his first game and that may have been his career high during his three years at Duke.) Nevertheless, if Plumlee and Williams don't get these minutes now then they may not be ready for ACC play next month, so there are two ways of looking at it. In the past, Coach K has used his regulars practically until the final minute, even in blowouts, which can wear down the starters and has probably contributed to a few transfers because of a lack of playing time. So it doesn't hurt to give these guys some PT so the coaches can see what they can really do.

-jk
12-18-2008, 06:25 PM
So it doesn't hurt to give these guys some PT so the coaches can see what they can really do.

I can say, unequivocally, that it makes Mods' jobs much harder when big-game PT leads to a loss and immeasurable posting angst!

-jk