PDA

View Full Version : Best Duke has right now?

SuperSport
12-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Who is the best player Duke has right now?
Who do you say is the best on the team?

jv001
12-18-2008, 03:08 PM

I would say Kyle but I'm uncomfortable in making that statement because we have several that by years end could fit that description. Jon, Nolan & Gerald are all capable but Kyles stats are just the best right now. He can shoot inside and out, drive the ball, rebound, defend the 1-5 positions and handle the ball like a guard. All the others do lots of things to make Duke a top 10 team but I just would say Kyle at this time of the season. But if someone else says Jon, Nolan or Gerald I would not argue. Go Duke!

roywhite
12-18-2008, 03:17 PM

Kyle Singler.

After 10 games, he leads the team in scoring, rebounding, and assists, and is also a key defender.

Rudy
12-18-2008, 03:19 PM
If you consider which player, if lost for the season, would the team miss the most it has to be Singler.

Bob Green
12-18-2008, 03:25 PM
While Kyle Singler stands out as the best player on a balanced team (Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, and Gerald Henderson are also putting up good numbers), I would label "depth" as the star of the team. The starters plus the first three players off the bench are very good and their skills compliment each other. Elliot Williams and Miles Plumlee are developing their skills in the ninth and tenth spots of the rotation. We are solid.

jv001
12-18-2008, 03:30 PM
While Kyle Singler stands out as the best player on a balanced team (Jon Scheyer, Nolan Smith, and Gerald Henderson are also putting up good numbers), I would label "depth" as the star of the team. The starters plus the first three players off the bench are very good and their skills compliment each other. Elliot Williams and Miles Plumlee are developing their skills in the ninth and tenth spots of the rotation. We are solid.

Yes and McClure is playing very well off the bench and that is good to see as Dave has been injured for most of his career. Go Duke!

SuperSport
12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Talking about the back up bench players, I have always liked Paulus, he brings a certain hype when he comes in the game, and plays with passion. Which in fact every Duke player does, that is one thing that makes them SO good!

Wander
12-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, it's Singler, and right now it's not close or arguable.

Billy Dat
12-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Yes, it's Singler, and right now it's not close or arguable.

You said it brother.

(Disclaimer - of course the TEAM comes before any individual)

Ignoring positions in the following comparison....Singler is Duncan, Scheyer is Ginobli and let's hope G can ascend to the Tony Parker role (that's my attempt to classify top banana, second banana and third banana). How about some others:

Singler is Jordan, Scheyer is Pippen, G is Rodman
Singer is Pierce, Scheyer is Garnett, G is Allen
Singler is Luke Skywalker, Scheyer is Han Solo, G is Leia, Z is Chewbacca, Nolan is R2D2, Paulus is Obi Wan (the Elder), Lance is Lando.....K is Yoda.

geraldsneighbor
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM
It's Jon, G, and Kyle until further notice who will be our big 3. I hope Kyle limits his turnovers and bad passes. If he does that he is our best, and right now regardless he is our best.

ddsdevil
12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
It has to be Singler, but it would hurt more to lose Scheyer because IMO he has the most intangibles.

dukelifer
12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
It has to be Singler, but it would hurt more to lose Scheyer because IMO he has the most intangibles.
Singler is the best player on the team- Scheyer gets the most of his ability and has the highest bball IQ and G is the most explosive. But Mr Smith is coming on very strong. By the end of the year he will be right around Scheyer for number 2 on the team. He is being very consistent this year. A little more work on his handle and his long range jumper- he will be among the top players in the league.

CameronBornAndBred
12-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Hands down Singler, but it sure is awesome to have so many close seconds.

Wander
12-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Singler is Luke Skywalker, Scheyer is Han Solo, G is Leia, Z is Chewbacca, Nolan is R2D2, Paulus is Obi Wan (the Elder), Lance is Lando.....K is Yoda.

Just as UNC is about to win the national championship against Duke in the title game... Tyler Hansbrough will see the light and throw Roy Williams down the Death Star shaft to his doom.

juise
12-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope Kyle limits his turnovers and bad passes.

Becoming more efficient is always good, but it seems like Kyle's been getting a bad rap based on last night's game. Kyle still has the best assist-to-turnover rate of the starters (1.4) and has 12 more assists than anyone else on the team (almost as many as Greg and Nolan combined).

Interestingly enough, Dave McClure leads the team in A-TO ratio (3.25). Greg is the only other better (1.7) than Kyle.

Saratoga2
12-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Singler is the best player on the team- Scheyer gets the most of his ability and has the highest bball IQ and G is the most explosive. But Mr Smith is coming on very strong. By the end of the year he will be right around Scheyer for number 2 on the team. He is being very consistent this year. A little more work on his handle and his long range jumper- he will be among the top players in the league.

Glad to see you mentioned Smith. I voted for him as player of the last game. He is doing a lot of things very well and has the potential of being even better.

Billy Dat
12-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Just as UNC is about to win the national championship against Duke in the title game... Tyler Hansbrough will see the light and throw Roy Williams down the Death Star shaft to his doom.

YES, but it strikes me that the scenario should be the UNC Home Game with the Dean Dome as the Death Star. Cameron would be represented by the Millenium Falcon. The wine and cheesers are the Stormtroopers, the Crazies are the Ewoks.

Reddevil
12-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Singler

As an aside, I have noticed over the past few seasons that good things tend to happen when DMC is on the floor.

If it’s true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the OTHERS here for?

Wander
12-20-2008, 09:13 AM
YES, but it strikes me that the scenario should be the UNC Home Game with the Dean Dome as the Death Star. Cameron would be represented by the Millenium Falcon. The wine and cheesers are the Stormtroopers, the Crazies are the Ewoks.

Good call. I'll start scouting for exhaust ports in the Dean Dome next time I'm in Chapel Hill.

mgtr
12-20-2008, 10:37 AM

I love it -- K even looks a little bit like Yoda. I wonder who is pulling his strings?
Seriously, Kyle is the guy right now, but I wonder by February if that may have changed. Lots of potential on this team.

bjornolf
12-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Woah, so Tyler is Kyle's daddy? Yowza! And I prefer to think of the crazies as the rebel forces and pilots than the ewoks, thank you very much. I got dibs on Wedge Antilles. He rocks. ;)

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/5/51/Wedge_Antilles.jpg/250px-Wedge_Antilles.jpg