PDA

View Full Version : What is the greatest non-retired Duke jersey number?

EarlJam
12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
For each jersey number that is not retired, combine the talent over the years who have worn those numbers to determine what non-retired number has donned the most talent.

Does that make sense?

For me, EarlJam, the first two that come to mind are #30 and #21:

#30: Alaa Abdelnaby (sp); Kevin Strickland; Jon Scheyer

#21: Chris Duhon; DeMarcus Nelson; Jay Bilas; Tony Lang; Trajan Langdon; Robert Brickey; Bob Bender

Other candidates??

-EJ

yancem
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
For each jersey number that is not retired, combine the talent over the years who have worn those numbers to determine what non-retired number has donned the most talent.

Does that make sense?

#21: Chris Duhon; DeMarcus Nelson; Jay Bilas; Tony Lang; Trajan Langdon; Robert Brickey; Bob Bender

Other candidates??

-EJ

I'd have to do some research but 21 was the number that first popped in my head. You could drop have the people you list and it might still be tough to beat.

Lord Ash
12-17-2008, 11:47 PM
The Ultimate Lord did a little bit on this about which TEN has been the best for Duke. The 20s? The 30s? A somewhat similar idea.

Off the top of my head 21 has been pretty successful. 4 was Carlos and JJ both, right? That isn't bad, but it IS only 2 guys...

juise
12-17-2008, 11:56 PM

I like #21 a lot. When I arrived at Duke in 2000, I got a Trajan jersey on clearance during the annual bookstore sale. I wore it as a Duhon jersey for my four years and in honor of Markie at the Duke-Oklahoma game at MSG in 2005.

I would add Dahntay to the #30 list. (I also got that one on clearance too... wore it in honor of Jamal Boykin in 2006 at Duke-Texas.)

yancem
12-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Just did a little poking around and here are some other numbers worth of mention:

#3 - Phil Henderson, Nick Horvath, Marty Clark, Ricky Price and Greg Paulus

#12 - Tate Armstrong, Vince Taylor, David Henderson, Wojo, and Singler

#20 - Gener Banks, Chris Collins, Casey Sanders and Elliot Williams (let's hope he will be worthy of mention)

#23 - Brian Davis, Chris Carrawell, and Shelden Williams

# 42 - Mike Lewis, Elton Brand, Reggie Love, Shav Randolph, and Lance Thomas

Also, Dahntay Jones needs to be added to the #30 list

I would say (assuming I didn't miss any big numbers or big players from a certain number) that it's probably a two horse race between #12 and #21. Interesting they are the reverse of each other.

On another note it would be interesting to compare the strengths of the cumulative for each of the retired numbers. I didn't write any of them down but I did notice some studs that wore some of the retired numbers before (and in the case of the Chief after) they were retired.

91devil
12-18-2008, 12:26 AM
How about #34?

Jim Spanarkel (in the discussion of greatest Duke player NOT to have his number retired) and Mike Dunleavy.

When you throw in Carmen Wallace, Dave Colonna, Judge Carr AND Jack Kalbfus (all of whom wore that number), it is almost a lead-pipe cinch.

wilson
12-18-2008, 12:32 AM
How about #34?

Jim Spanarkel (in the discussion of greatest Duke player NOT to have his number retired) and Mike Dunleavy.

When you throw in Carmen Wallace, Dave Colonna, Judge Carr AND Jack Kalbfus (all of whom wore that number), it is almost a lead-pipe cinch.

Spanarkel and Dunleavy, sure. But if you think any of those other guys push #34 over the edge, you're kidding yourself.
21 seems to me to be the clear leader here. In the interest of full disclosure though, my first instinct was 23, because I've always loved Brian Davis.

tommy
12-18-2008, 01:54 AM

Does that make sense?

Other candidates??

-EJ

I could've sworn Strickland wore #31, didn't he?

heyman25
12-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Bobby Hurley wore #11,Bob Verga was another great #11. I doubt at this point in time if Spanarkel or Banks will get their number retired.Did Elton ever get a Duke degree? He was national Player of the year.

Oriole Way
12-18-2008, 07:34 AM
#23 - Brian Davis, Chris Carrawell, and Shelden Williams

#23 is indeed retired thanks to Shelden.

I think #21 is by far the best un-retired number.

91devil
12-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Spanarkel and Dunleavy, sure. But if you think any of those other guys push #34 over the edge, you're kidding yourself.
21 seems to me to be the clear leader here. In the interest of full disclosure though, my first instinct was 23, because I've always loved Brian Davis.
Wilson...the Wallace, Colonna, Carr and Kalbfus references were, um, a joke.

yancem
12-18-2008, 09:38 AM
#23 is indeed retired thanks to Shelden.

Ooops, I guess I shouldn't post after midnight. I was afraid I would make a blunder like that.

I think #21 is by far the best un-retired number.

I don't know about "by far" Tate Armstrong was a stud who averaged 24.2 and 22.7 ppg his junior and senior years. Vince Taylor averaged 20.3 his senior year. David Henderson was a key guy for the '86 team. Wojo was a national defensive player of the year. And Singler is well on his way to be one of the all time greats. Of course if he sticks around all 4 years this argument may be mute since there is a solid chance that #12 would be in the rafters.

jv001
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Ooops, I guess I shouldn't post after midnight. I was afraid I would make a blunder like that.

I don't know about "by far" Tate Armstrong was a stud who averaged 24.2 and 22.7 ppg his junior and senior years. Vince Taylor averaged 20.3 his senior year. David Henderson was a key guy for the '86 team. Wojo was a national defensive player of the year. And Singler is well on his way to be one of the all time greats. Of course if he sticks around all 4 years this argument may be mute since there is a solid chance that #12 would be in the rafters.

Your above argument gets my vote for the #12. Tate Armstrong remains one of if not my favorite Duke player ever. If Kyle stays 4 years I believe #12 may very well be hung from the rafters. Then Tate, Vince, Wo-Jo and David will get their due as far as I'm concerned. Go Duke!

Oriole Way
12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

I just think that in Langdon, Duhon, and Nelson, you have three excellent players who made significant contributions over their entire careers (Duhon and Langdon especially, although Langdon had a fairly quiet freshman season). Most of the 12's were role players (excluding Singler of course). Bilas and Lang are comparable to most of the 12's with exception of Armstrong. Solid role players who really contributed as upperclassmen.

It's a nice debate, though.

wilson
12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Wilson...the Wallace, Colonna, Carr and Kalbfus references were, um, a joke.

Yeah, in retrospect, I realized that. When I posted, I was, um, drunk.:o

killerleft
12-18-2008, 09:56 AM
For me, #12 is the runaway winner. Singler easily closes the deal. And I think if most of y'all had seen Armstrong and Taylor, you'd agree with me.

Cameron
12-18-2008, 10:09 AM
I would be inclined to rest with 21 as well. Mainly because Chris Duhon is my all-time favorite college basketball player, but also because Trajan, Lang, and Brickey rocked it before him. Those are some dynamite names in Duke lore.

The number 20, with Chris Collins and Gene Banks is another good call.

To take a trait of Earl's...

Chris "I don't care if I'm shooting 18 percent, I'm knocking home a half-courter in your face next trip down" Duhon

adam
12-18-2008, 11:29 AM
21 automatically comes to mind... Trajan, Duhon, DeMarcus, etc. To me, this isn't even a close race... 21 wins easily.

Go Duke!!!

juise
12-18-2008, 11:40 AM
#30... wore it in honor of Jamal Boykin in 2006 at Duke-Texas

Oops... I guess I was wearing my Dunleavy jersey that day. :o

EarlJam
12-18-2008, 12:58 PM
For me, #12 is the runaway winner. Singler easily closes the deal. And I think if most of y'all had seen Armstrong and Taylor, you'd agree with me.

Don't forget Thomas Hill in the #12 discussion! I loved him! And he was one hell of an athlete!

-EarlJam

EarlJam
12-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Oops... I guess I was wearing my Dunleavy jersey that day. :o

Dunleavy is probably my most dissapointing Dukie just in the sense that he could have been a mega-star and left an incredible legacy at the school. Had he stayed, his jersey would surly have been retired and he'd be much more of a legand than he is now.

This isn't a "Shame on Dunleavy for leaving for the NBA" post. Far from it. He was one of my favorites.

I just feel Duke fans and perhaps Dunleavy himself were robbed of something that could have been much bigger.

-EarlJam

DukieInKansas
12-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I would vote for #21 - the fact that I had a huge crush on Bob Bender has nothing to do with it.

Would these numbers be retired due to all the individuals that wore the number or because of one particular player?

yancem
12-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Don't forget Thomas Hill in the #12 discussion! I loved him! And he was one hell of an athlete!

-EarlJam

Ok, so my second oops on my post midnight post! I totally forgot that Hill changed from #25 to #12 because of Heymans' jersey being retired. So he needs to be added to the # 12 list with Armstrong, Taylor, Henderson, Wojo and Singler.

I just think that in Langdon, Duhon, and Nelson, you have three excellent players who made significant contributions over their entire careers (Duhon and Langdon especially, although Langdon had a fairly quiet freshman season). Most of the 12's were role players (excluding Singler of course). Bilas and Lang are comparable to most of the 12's with exception of Armstrong. Solid role players who really contributed as upperclassmen.

It's a nice debate, though.

I will certainly give you Langdon since he is the highest on the scoring list of those you have worn the # 12 or #21. And Duhon played on a NC team and is in the top 2-3 in career assists. But Nelson? I mean I love the guy but Armstron (1305) trails Nelson (1359) in the career point category by only 55 points but played in 51 few games. Taylor (1455), Henderson (1570) and T.Hill (1594) all out scored him. Nelson was a role player except his senior year. Maybe if he had been healthy his first couple of seasons he would have had more of an impact, but his career was not any more remarkable then any of the other #12's.

On a different note, my hats off to EarlJam, this is the funnest thread I've seen in quite a while. I love trying to remember the payers I watched as a kid and trying to compare them to today's players.

mgtr
12-19-2008, 06:11 PM
I think the original question was about the greatest unretired number. I submit that it would have to be 55.:D

juise
12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I think the original question was about the greatest unretired number. I submit that it would have to be 55.:D

I think it's clear that we need a poll... so #21 can dominate!