PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. UNC-Asheville

Jumbo
12-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Who was the Man of the Match against UNC-Asheville?

TaiAdmiral
12-17-2008, 09:34 PM
I'll have to say Greg Paulus. Just watching him drain some threes at a consistent clip was a relief after the disaster in Ann Arbor.

mgtr
12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Wow, this is the toughest call in a long time. Singler, Scheyer, Smith, Paulus, Henderson -- take your choice. Zoubek made some good plays, and Czyz almost made one. I expect when he makes his first basket in Cameron it will bring the house down. I guess I would say MOTM is Coach K, for mixing things up and sending a clear message.

RainingThrees
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
close between G and Kyle and Greg. Might have to go with Greg because every made 3 was at least 3 feet back from the line and the first 2 started a run.

FireOgilvie
12-17-2008, 09:37 PM
Definitely Singler.

He led the team in points (14) on 6-8 shooting, rebounds (8), assists (5), and steals (4).

weezie
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Greg looked nice and loose. Jon was still in the right places when it counted. Kyle is starting to get his bruises on, too.

A good appearance by E Williams, he stayed calm this time, with a nice little hop at the end. He's got some jumps!

Madrasdukie
12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
I'm going with Greg 'cause of his 3-point shooting and good plays (that alley-oop attempt to G was the only obvious exception).

Kyle had a fantastic and was quite worthy of the vote as well.

Loved everybody's play, including G's attempts to drive, Elliot's rebounding ability, Miles's improving steady play, and Czyz's attempt to slam one down of the missed free throw.

Madrasdukie
12-17-2008, 09:57 PM
I expect when he makes his first basket in Cameron it will bring the house down.

He's already made two in Cameron that I can remember - a fast break alley-oop where he made a very athletic recovery of the ball, and a dunk coming from the baseline.

RainingThrees
12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Kyle played well but he did have one blemish and that was 5 TOs.

CathyCA
12-17-2008, 10:07 PM
I voted for Kyle.

Greg was fun to watch. He seems to be back into a groove. Thankfully.

I would also vote for Jon and Nolan.

watzone
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Kyle. We are getting accustomed to his numbers, but they were still the best. While Paulus played well, his numbers are almost exactly the same as Nolans save his block. Good to see GP come out though. Good to see EW showing positive signs as well.

geraldsneighbor
12-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Greg set the tone. I admire his leadership and his work ethic back, and feel tonight was a sign of his hard work. I give him the award tonight for that.

geraldsneighbor
12-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Not to nit-pick with Kyle, but he had 5 turnovers tonight.

ncexnyc
12-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Greg got my vote tonight. We've missed his 3 pt shooting this year and it was nice to see his stroke return. It certainly bodes well for the future knowing we can count on production from him of the bench later this year.

jv001
12-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I voted for Greg because I think it was his best game since injuring his arm. He got us started from 3 point territory and that was nice to see. I would have voted for Kyle but for his 5 TO's and 2 missed layups. He still played a very good game. Matter of fact so did most of our players. Zoubs did another good job and continues to improve. Jon was his steady self and Gerald had a good game(except 3's). Let's hope our play is just as good Saturday against Xavier. Go Duke!

rsvman
12-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Not to nit-pick with Kyle, but he had 5 turnovers tonight.

This is not nit-picking. Five turnovers is too many. I cannot vote for Kyle because of this.

BlueintheFace
12-18-2008, 10:38 AM
It's got to be Greg Paulus. He started the big run, shot the three consistently well, ran the team best as we all know he can do, and didn't get burned on defense. He pretty much did exactly what we need him to do this season.

SilkyJ
12-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Good to see GP come out though. Good to see EW showing positive signs as well.

I am liking elliot's rebounding and driving ability but I have to say he always spins or crosses to his left once he gets in the lane and anyone who watches film on him will see that.

Wander
12-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Even with the 5 turnovers, Singler was the best player on the court, as usual.

ACCBBallFan
12-18-2008, 01:45 PM
Rating Player
72 Kyle Singler, F
67 Reid Augst, F
59 Jon Scheyer, G
58 Gerald Henderson, G-F
56 Brian Zoubek, C
55 John Williams, F
54 Nolan Smith, G
46 Greg Paulus, G
42 Lance Thomas, F
41 Elliot Williams, G
41 Jason Ridenhour, F
41 David McClure, F
38 Sean Smith, G
34 TOTALS-Duke
34 TOTALS-UNC-Ashev
33 Matt Dickey, G
33 Miles Plumlee, F
25 J.P. Primm, G
14 Martynas Pocius, G
12 Donovan Jones, G
12 Chris Stephenson, G
11 Eric Stubbs, C
02 Olek Czyz, F
01 Quinard Jackson, F

ddsdevil
12-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Greg Paulus

I just loved his enthusiasm. Every time UNCA made a basket you could just see the frustration on Greg's face. I love him competitiveness.

mgtr
12-18-2008, 09:00 PM
I voted for Scheyer (and it appears I was the only one). I made that vote because he does a lot of things right. However, there was one play he made that was wrong -- he had the ball under the basket and tried to make a lazy layup, which was blocked by an athletic effort by an Asheville player.
I would think that Coach K will make points on that when viewing the tape, because it was lazy.

DukeDevilDeb
12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
I know Kyle is our best player and Gerald is our best jumper and so on and so forth... but for determination, grit, leadership, and beautiful 3 point shooting, last night belonged to Greg. Kyle just cannot have 5 turnovers... in theory, that gives UNCA 10-15 points if they capitalize on all of them.

Great players make the most out of a situation. I'm not saying that Greg is our greatest player... but man, he was darn good last night!

mgtr
12-18-2008, 09:53 PM
I absolutely agree about Greg -- it was terrific to see him back in rhythm last night. Although, as stated by others, he slows down the offense by dribbling around for an eternity.

Bob Green
12-18-2008, 10:06 PM
However, there was one play he made that was wrong --

Scheyer is one of my favorite players but last night he made a mistake other than the one you pointed out. He saved a ball on the baseline tossing it back in bounds to an Asheville player who scored an uncontested lay-up. Scheyer broke the rule "never save the ball by tossing it under the opponent's basket." To be completely fair, when Scheyer tossed the ball back onto the court it went right through the legs of another Duke player - I can't recall which one.

devildeac
12-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Voting a wee bit late here but it has been a very busy work week.

Kyle for me with very solid efforts by JS, GH, BZ and GP, too. Hope Greg is healed/healthy and confident again.

devildeac
12-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Scheyer is one of my favorite players but last night he made a mistake other than the one you pointed out. He saved a ball on the baseline tossing it back in bounds to an Asheville player who scored an uncontested lay-up. Scheyer broke the rule "never save the ball by tossing it under the opponent's basket." To be completely fair, when Scheyer tossed the ball back onto the court it went right through the legs of another Duke player - I can't recall which one.

It went through BZ's wicket;).