PDA

View Full Version : NBA Dukies are alarmingly injured this year

Oriole Way
12-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Not sure if this has been addressed, but an incredibly high proportion of Duke's NBA players have suffered fairly serious injuries this season, with the exception of Grant Hill, Dahntay Jones, and the younger guys who don't get any playing time.

Mike Dunleavy: bone spurs, yet to play this season, could be headed for surgery

Shane Battier: had surgery before the season, missed more than a month and a half, still not 100% and has had ankle problems

Carlos Boozer: has missed 14 straight games with hamstring problems

Elton Brand: recently missed 2 games with a hamstring strain, missed all of last season save for 8 games with an Achilles injury. I believe his slow start is due to lingering effects of the injury and not being all the way back yet.

Corey Maggette: out indefinitely with hamstring problems, and has missed about 7-10 games already.

Chris Duhon: even in his breakout season, he's playing through a bad back

Luol Deng: has missed a few games this season due to injuries and has been very injury-prone over the past couple seasons.

Is it just a bad run of health for these guys? Basically the biggest stars who went to Duke have all had major injuries within the past two years. Considering how many injuries our current players have gone through, I'm beginning to get concerned. Really hope these guys can get healthy and avoid the injury bug from now on.

lmb
12-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Not sure if this has been addressed, but an incredibly high proportion of Duke's NBA players have suffered fairly serious injuries this season, with the exception of Grant Hill.....

While I've noticed the same thing in regards to Duke alums, isn't it refreshing that Grant Hill is an exception! I wish him all the best and am rooting for Phoenix to win a championship with him.

I think the simultaneous injury thing is a fluke. I think this is the first time Battier has had any kind of major injury. I don't even remember him missing many games in college due to injury. I am concerned about Dunleavy because he's been out the entire season, but I can't really find much discussion about his injury. It sounds like it's a strange thing with some unknowns.

yancem
12-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I was watching the Nicks play the other night and I had the same thought. I had high hope that this was going to be a banner year for Duke alumni with Brand returning, Deng with a new contract, Duhon and Maggette on a new teams, Dunleavy and Boozer building on last season. I also had hopes that JJ and Shelden would finally get a break (well JJ has but hasn't been able to capitalize). I figured that Boozer and Brand would be strong all star candidates and that Dunleavey, Deng and Maggette would get some all star consideration. Really, Duhon has gone from a bench warmer to arguable Duke's most productive nba player this year.

Hopefully Brand, Battier and Deng will round back into shape, Boozer, Maggette and Dunleavey will get healthy and half strong second halves if the season and JJ and Shelden will get traded to teams where they can get a shot. Having 11-12 alumni in the nba is cool but is most of them are injured or not getting any playing time, what's the point? It get depressing watching a nba game and seeing Duke players on the bench!

doctorhook
12-17-2008, 09:36 PM
I did not see the play, but looks like E is sidelined again for some time. Hate to have it happen just when he was getting back to form.
Doc

RainingThrees
12-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Sucks for the Sixers because it comes after they fire their coach. Btw whats with all the NBA coaching firings?

Oriole Way
12-17-2008, 10:44 PM
Elton dislocated his shoulder tonight. This is ridiculous.

jimsumner
12-17-2008, 11:54 PM
This is worse than usual, no doubt. But the injury bug has longed plagued former Duke players in the pros. Major injuries significantly impacted the careers of Johnny Dawkins, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, and Elton Brand and injuries prematurely ended the careers of Mike Lewis, Tate Armstrong, Gene Banks, Mark Alarie, and Roshown McLeod. Shavlik Randolph might have been a contender minus injury.

The vehicular accidents suffered by Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams fit into a different category, IMO.

Kedsy
12-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Elton Brand: recently missed 2 games with a hamstring strain, missed all of last season save for 8 games with an Achilles injury. I believe his slow start is due to lingering effects of the injury and not being all the way back yet.

This thread appears to have been prescient, as Elton Brand separated his shoulder tonight.

geraldsneighbor
12-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Can we lock this thread? My Sixers lost EB tonight. Not good.

weezie
12-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Duke produces tough guys who play hard. No coasters on that list. It's a shame that they are all hurt.

lmb
12-18-2008, 02:39 PM
They just announced Brand will be out for one month. He does have a fracture but it doesn't require surgery.

(http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Brand_Out_A_Month.html)

lmb
12-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Let's try this again.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/Brand_Out_A_Month.html

jv001
12-18-2008, 03:55 PM
This is worse than usual, no doubt. But the injury bug has longed plagued former Duke players in the pros. Major injuries significantly impacted the careers of Johnny Dawkins, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, and Elton Brand and injuries prematurely ended the careers of Mike Lewis, Tate Armstrong, Gene Banks, Mark Alarie, and Roshown McLeod. Shavlik Randolph might have been a contender minus injury.

The vehicular accidents suffered by Bobby Hurley and Jason Williams fit into a different category, IMO.

Similar but not as tragic as the Angels baseball team in years passed. Many years ago. Former Duke players do seem to be "snake bitten". Go Duke!