PDA

View Full Version : MBB Duke vs. UNC Asheville Pre-Game & In-game Thread

jpfrizzle
12-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Discuss today's game here!

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

Bob Green
12-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't know anything about UNC-Asheville with the exception that they were blown out by UNC-Chapel Hill earlier this season. I'll be watching to see how the starters perform early in the game. Coming off the loss to Michigan, it is my expectation that Duke will roar out of the gate with a fast start. I'm looking for an all around positive performance: knock down the three ball, pound it into the post, drive the lane and attack the basket. On defense we need to pressure the ball and create turnovers. Finally, rebound on both ends of the court. This is an opportunity to fine tune our attack for the tougher games on the horizon.

geraldsneighbor
12-17-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm so jacked up to play a game tonight it is insane. I want to see a few things before we play undefeated X saturday.
1. Singler return to the mid-range game
2. G get back to slashing
3. Continued improvement of Z and LT

I'm just excited to play a few games this week as we near ACC play.

jv001
12-17-2008, 03:25 PM
I think Duke comes out hungry and the defense will be really good. I'm not sure if the 3 pointers will fall at first as I think the guys will want to redeem themselves from such a bad performance at Michigan. However I believe the shots will start falling and we will make atleast 35-40% by games end. This is a good game to get ready for Xavier(not looking ahead). Go Duke!

SilkyJ
12-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I I'm not sure if the 3 pointers will fall at first as I think the guys will want to redeem themselves from such a bad performance at Michigan.

Then maybe lets not jack up 33 of them! With Nolan, G, and Scheyer on the perimeter and Singler to an extent there is no reason why we can't be driving/slashing more and finishing at the rim or pulling up for 10 footers. The michigan defense forced us into jacking up 3s, so give them credit, but we could be getting easier/closer/better shots if we wanted to.

jv001
12-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Then maybe lets not jack up 33 of them! With Nolan, G, and Scheyer on the perimeter and Singler to an extent there is no reason why we can't be driving/slashing more and finishing at the rim or pulling up for 10 footers. The michigan defense forced us into jacking up 3s, so give them credit, but we could be getting easier/closer/better shots if we wanted to.

I too hate to see us have to rely on that many 3's and I'm still not sure what the answer was for Michigan giving us the 3's. Could we have driven the ball to midrange shots, attacked the baseline or just take what they gave us. I'm not a basketball coach so I really don't know the answer. I do know that depending on those 3's have hurt us in NCAA play when they are not falling. Like you I hope we don't take that many 3's. Go Duke!

ddsdevil
12-17-2008, 03:59 PM
I too hate to see us have to rely on that many 3's and I'm still not sure what the answer was for Michigan giving us the 3's. Could we have driven the ball to midrange shots, attacked the baseline or just take what they gave us. I'm not a basketball coach so I really don't know the answer. I do know that depending on those 3's have hurt us in NCAA play when they are not falling. Like you I hope we don't take that many 3's. Go Duke!

I just hope that our guys get their shots back in this game. I don't expect us to beat them as bad as UNC beat them because I expect more outside shooting. My guess is that we are more athletic than they are and could drive to the basket and score but I really hope that we try to develop some consistency with mid range and three point shots. We will really need them for X and ACC play.

jacone21
12-17-2008, 05:07 PM
I expect we'll come out flat and play kinda poor for a while. The guys haven't played in many days. In the second half, they'll get back on track and finish strong. That strong effort will be carried over into the X game.

Duke 77 - UNCA 62

But then... I could be wrong. :D

jpfrizzle
12-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I agree with Bob Green, when he said not much knowledge is known to me about UNC-Asheville. And Duke coming off a loss to Michigan, I should expect a roaring game with intense playing from the team.

Cant wait to watch tonights game!!!

Saratoga2
12-17-2008, 05:28 PM

We should beat these guys, but we should also be thinking about what will beat the long agile teams that equal us in capability. We can't have the defense forget to provide inside help, as in the Michigan game, and we need 40 minutes from the team. Stop fast break opportunities, aggressive play and no second chance opportunities, so effective reboudning. I would hate to see this team score more than 50 points against us.

I'm intrigued by what offense the coaching staff has been working on. We need slashing, mid range and the three. I hope the execution of the motion offense or whatever other twists have been install is better and that it will create all of those opportunities. What we do tonight will carry over into Saturdays game.

dukegirlinsc
12-17-2008, 06:01 PM
Anxietyyyyyy!

Acymetric
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Hey, posting this hear so it gets more traffic. I just found out that I have 2 tickets (bleachers) that my friends can no longer use. I think face value is $65. If anyone wants to use them, shoot me a p.m.

RainingThrees
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope Elliot gets a lot of pt tonight with Miles. Olek also needs some pt but I would prefer Miles and Elliot to get the most, as both seem to be struggling to fit into the rotation.

Bob Green
12-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The "Starters" are looking good now that they are in the game. Those who started played well. Coach K sending a message to all: play with enthusiasm or sit.

beach rev
12-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Loved the starting lineup...and Paulus was ready from the get-go. While I don't look for him to be starting, I think his energy is vital.

shadowfax336
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Nice to see some 3 point shooting. Even if they get less time to shoot in practice

devil in chapel hill
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Duke is playing like sh*t again. They should be blowing these guys out of the water. The Tarholes beat them by 68 points.

Duvall
12-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Duke is playing like sh*t again. They should be blowing these guys out of the water. The Tarholes beat them by 68 points.

Would I say it's time for Duke fans to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

Yes, yes I would.

The1Bluedevil
12-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Let's not forget that UCONN was taken to the final seconds against BUFFALO.
Let's not forget that Louisville was beaten at home by Western Kentucky.

devil in chapel hill
12-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Maybe they're just being polite :confused:

superdave
12-17-2008, 08:34 PM
The Dukies do seem to be playing with a sense of purpose tonight. They are putting forth the effort, just need to focus it a little better communication and playing off one another.

It doesnt seem like there's an obvious rotation right now. I'm sure K will tinker throughout the season, but it is somewhat refreshing that he is experimenting this much this year. It's sort of like a season-long tryout.

devil in chapel hill
12-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I think Duke looks terrible and super sloppy. This should be like a NBA team playing against a high school team - instead, Duke is letting these guys from Asheville hang around. Coach K needs to light a fire under their butts or we are going to get creamed when we play a half-decent team.

CDu
12-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Let's not forget that UCONN was taken to the final seconds against BUFFALO.
Let's not forget that Louisville was beaten at home by Western Kentucky.

So what's your point? That there are other teams that maybe aren't in UNC's league? :)

Diddy
12-17-2008, 08:58 PM
So what's your point? That there are other teams that maybe aren't in UNC's league? :)

Amen. It is time to stop throwing out names and scores of allegedly elite teams that are having trouble with lesser squads.

Someone call me when an allegedly elite team plays really well and actually looks like a threat to UNC.

Duvall
12-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Amen. It is time to stop throwing out names and scores of allegedly elite teams that are having trouble with lesser squads.

Someone call me when an allegedly elite team plays really well and actually looks like a threat to UNC.

It's time for a UNC-only board. Who cares about the Heels, honestly? We don't play them for two more months.

devil in chapel hill
12-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Better effort by Duke in the 2nd half

Nice job by Paulus and Zoubek

The1Bluedevil
12-17-2008, 09:26 PM

I was not trying to compare scores just saying that other top teams don't just blow away every team they play.

TaiAdmiral
12-17-2008, 09:39 PM
I know it's probably been discussed already, but one thing that's really bothering me right now is our lack of freshman play time. I mean sure...they're freshmen, but I have pretty high expectations for Olek, Elliot, and Miles. Elliot especially, because he was touted as a five-star recruit. When you compare our freshmen's numbers against, (why not) UNC's freshmen, we really don't match up. You guys think this is a cause for concern?