PDA

View Full Version : Shelden in Sacramento

CameronBornAndBred
12-17-2008, 09:07 AM
Shelden got off the bench last night in a blow out loss to Portland, but in 8 minutes he had 9 points (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281216022) on perfect shooting from the floor and the line, with one block. Hopefully his new coach likes what he saw, he's been riding the pine a lot this year.

CDu
12-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Shelden got off the bench last night in a blow out loss to Portland, but in 8 minutes he had 9 points (http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=281216022) on perfect shooting from the floor and the line, with one block. Hopefully his new coach likes what he saw, he's been riding the pine a lot this year.

Williams has his work cut out for him in Sacramento. The Kings drafted over him this past offseason when they drafted Jason Thompson - a 6'11" "prototypical PF." They also have Brad Miller and Spencer Hawes. All three are playing pretty well.

With Miller, Hawes and Thompson all ahead of Williams in the rotation and playing pretty well, it's going to be hard for Williams to crack the rotation. Hopefully he can step up his game. He'll need to do so.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2009, 10:08 AM
An article on Shelden (http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/1543854.html) and a teammate's prsopects of something different. Sounds like The Landlord is getting frustrated.

Oriole Way
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
An article on Shelden (http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/1543854.html) and a teammate's prsopects of something different. Sounds like The Landlord is getting frustrated.

Wow, it's pretty damning when tyur head coach basically says outright that you're not going to play because it's not the right team for you and you might find success in a different situation.

Natt is probably right, but for him to be the one saying it is pretty sad.

speedevil2001
01-15-2009, 07:56 PM

I saw Shelden and Candice in Sacramento shopping at Sears for a crocpot for his mother on christmas eve.

KandG
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I really, really try to be positive about Duke players in the NBA, but Shelden's career in the league might be the most disappointing to date of all Duke alums relative to expectations (exempting injury cases like Bobby or JWill). I have seen him get garbage time a few times with the Kings, and I can't believe he's fallen so far. And this is a very hard-working, team first player, so it pains me to see the way he's played this season.

I hope Shelden can find a system that can accommodate his talents in the league...or abroad (though I'm guessing his wife might have something to say about that). He and the Kings, though, are a terrible fit for each other. Every time Shelden is on the floor, he looks like the prototype tweener -- not strong enough or offensively capable enough to play the 4 or 5, not quick enough to guard 3s and smaller 4s on the perimeter.

JDev
01-15-2009, 11:19 PM
I saw Shelden and Candice in Sacramento shopping at Sears for a crocpot for his mother on christmas eve.

I hope that Coach K is already recruiting their child (if that child is a boy of coarse).

Edouble
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
I hope that Coach K is already recruiting their child (if that child is a boy of coarse).

I do not mean to attack JDev or anything, but am I gonna have to hear this joke every week for the next 18 years? It's already reeeeally old.

DukieBoy
01-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow, it's pretty damning when tyur head coach basically says outright that you're not going to play because it's not the right team for you and you might find success in a different situation.

It might just be me, but doesn't this sound familiar to J.J's case. I don't Van Gundy ever came out and said he wasn't going to play, but it was obvious for a while that he had no faith in J.J. But now that J.J.'s gotten his chance, he's really shining in the past few weeks. He was even in during crunch time in a game last week where I recall seeing him on Sportscenter hitting a big three (forget the opponent tho).

Sheldon just needs to wait it out just a little longer. All it takes is a couple injuries and Sheldon will be given that playing time.

speedevil2001
01-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I really, really try to be positive about Duke players in the NBA, but Shelden's career in the league might be the most disappointing to date of all Duke alums relative to expectations (exempting injury cases like Bobby or JWill). I have seen him get garbage time a few times with the Kings, and I can't believe he's fallen so far. And this is a very hard-working, team first player, so it pains me to see the way he's played this season.

I hope Shelden can find a system that can accommodate his talents in the league...or abroad (though I'm guessing his wife might have something to say about that). He and the Kings, though, are a terrible fit for each other. Every time Shelden is on the floor, he looks like the prototype tweener -- not strong enough or offensively capable enough to play the 4 or 5, not quick enough to guard 3s and smaller 4s on the perimeter.

your right about the lack of offensive skills..he must develop a reliable mid range jump shot, like brand and boozer, to get any looks on the offensive end.

on the defensive end, sheldon is very strong, i see him guarding the center position at times, but i think his major weakness is that he is too stiff, doesnt box out, and gets out jumped for rebounds. thats gonna keep him on the bench.

jv001
01-16-2009, 02:46 PM
your right about the lack of offensive skills..he must develop a reliable mid range jump shot, like brand and boozer, to get any looks on the offensive end.

on the defensive end, sheldon is very strong, i see him guarding the center position at times, but i think his major weakness is that he is too stiff, doesnt box out, and gets out jumped for rebounds. thats gonna keep him on the bench.

Correct assesment of The Landlord's game. Just not enough offensive skills for the NBA. If he can develop a midrange shot like Brand and Boozer he could be pretty dangerous. I hope he makes it. Go Duke!

Oriole Way
01-16-2009, 05:35 PM
It might just be me, but doesn't this sound familiar to J.J's case. I don't Van Gundy ever came out and said he wasn't going to play, but it was obvious for a while that he had no faith in J.J. But now that J.J.'s gotten his chance, he's really shining in the past few weeks. He was even in during crunch time in a game last week where I recall seeing him on Sportscenter hitting a big three (forget the opponent tho).

Sheldon just needs to wait it out just a little longer. All it takes is a couple injuries and Sheldon will be given that playing time.

There are some similarities, but I think the situations are ultimately much different. Van Gundy has always said J.J. needs to work on his defense. Van Gundy has also given J.J. a couple of chances, although on a very short leash each time. After all, Van Gundy had awarded J.J. the sixth man role at the start of the season, but J.J. went something like 0-10 from the field and quickly lost the job.

I think it's also important that Sacramento drafted right over Shelden when they took Jason Thompson in last year's draft. Thompson plays the same position, and has a bright future in Sacramento. He's a very good player and has a much better offensive game than Shelden right now. I guess the same could be said for Courtney Lee in Orlando, but he's a much different player than J.J. Redick has to fight mostly with journeymen shooting guards for PT, and right now he is shooting lights out.

But the bottom line is that Van Gundy has never said anything close to what Natt said in that article about J.J. Otis Smith has also always maintained that they think J.J. has a role with the team, but it just hasn't been the right time up until this point. Natt basically said it's the wrong time and the wrong team for Shelden.

I still think Shelden can be a solid NBA player. At the end of his rookie season with the Hawks, he was starting regularly and put of a few double-doubles. It was the start of his development, but that was quickly halted and he has never gotten a chance since. He needs to sign on with a new team that needs physical big men and that is willing to give him the minutes to develop. Obviously, that's easier said than done.