PDA

View Full Version : Refereeing Wish List

greybeard
04-02-2007, 09:09 AM
I wish:

1. There was no such thing as an "offensive foul", that they be change-in-possesion violations instead, and that when I guy tries to take a charge and it is called a block, the offensive player gets foul shots (if shooting or near shooting) but no foul is assessed to the player, you could count it against team fouls if you want. It would deemphasize in importance many of the most controversial calls in a game, and help keep the players we all want to watch in it.

wilko
04-02-2007, 10:29 AM
I wish:

2: that somone could explain to me this concept of "Advantage".. If a guy carries at midcourt and hes unguarded it SHOULD be a turnover. NOT making that call gives an advantage to the other team. I think this interpretation is bogus and harmful to the game. If you complain about lack of fundamentals, It starts here!

3: I think that as they have a 3 point line they should have a 1 point line. Anything converted inside the 1pt line counts for ... well, 1 point. UNLESS the backboard is used. It de-empahsizes the dunk somwhat and forces a player to SHOOT the ball or relocate to a player who can. Conversely, if you have a breakaway and want to dunk and take off beyond the 1pt line ... bravo! you get full credit for 2pts. It has less glamor, but focus's on shooting and passing as skills. I think it will also cut down on overly physical post play.

*** In case you havent guessed, Im too old school for my own good. The game of basketball can be a beautiful ballet when its clicking. I am tired of a seeing physical athelete, being the solution to stopping a basketball player. I'd rather see a focus on the fundamentals.

Too bad CBS couldnt sell it.

ikiru36
04-02-2007, 01:17 PM
I wish:

2: that somone could explain to me this concept of "Advantage".. If a guy carries at midcourt and hes unguarded it SHOULD be a turnover. NOT making that call gives an advantage to the other team. I think this interpretation is bogus and harmful to the game. If you complain about lack of fundamentals, It starts here!

3: I think that as they have a 3 point line they should have a 1 point line. Anything converted inside the 1pt line counts for ... well, 1 point. UNLESS the backboard is used. It de-empahsizes the dunk somwhat and forces a player to SHOOT the ball or relocate to a player who can. Conversely, if you have a breakaway and want to dunk and take off beyond the 1pt line ... bravo! you get full credit for 2pts. It has less glamor, but focus's on shooting and passing as skills. I think it will also cut down on overly physical post play.

*** In case you havent guessed, Im too old school for my own good. The game of basketball can be a beautiful ballet when its clicking. I am tired of a seeing physical athelete, being the solution to stopping a basketball player. I'd rather see a focus on the fundamentals.

Too bad CBS couldnt sell it.

At least regarding point 3, a better solution is perhaps to return to the old rules in which players simply weren't allowed to grab the rim at all (they could drop the ball in, or lay it in over the rim). (Not that you were necessarily being entirely serious but) your solution doesn't seem fair as there should be a reward for beating the defense to get as close a shot as possible.

If you grab the rim at all, it's simply a technical. Of course, if Phil Henderson wants to throw down like he did on Alonzo Mourning again, I'll take the technical! ;0)