PDA

View Full Version : K quote on Singler

Kedsy
12-12-2008, 09:32 AM
People on this board have been criticizing Kyle for staying outside, especially in the Michigan game, so I was interested to see this quote from K in the Singler article on the main page:

"He's gotten stronger, and he's playing more on the perimeter, where we would like him to play. He's just an outstanding player on the court."

I guess that explains it.

dukelifer
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
People on this board have been criticizing Kyle for staying outside, especially in the Michigan game, so I was interested to see this quote from K in the Singler article on the main page:

"He's gotten stronger, and he's playing more on the perimeter, where we would like him to play. He's just an outstanding player on the court."

I guess that explains it.

I personally think he is better around the hoop and is a streak shooter that needs to get in the flow of the game to start hitting consistently. He seems to me, based on this year and last, to be a shooter who shoots best with a little game pressure on him. I would like to see him post early to get a few easy buckets and then go outside. But I don't coach 'em, I just watch 'em.

geraldsneighbor
12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I think we saw the best of Singler vs. Purdue. When he is active and is able to move to the hoop and not so much play in the post, but make things happen around the basket. When he does that, he also begins to step out and hit shots. I would like to see him do what he did vs. Purdue more, because we have enough guys that are dependent on the perimeter. Singler as a 3/4 guy needs to be able to get inside. That can be said for G as well.

davekay1971
12-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Most of the criticism I have seen is based on the Michigan game, in which Kyle had an off shooting night but seemed too content to play a passive game from beyond the arc. In every other game this season, he's done a great job (to my eye) of mixing up an interior game, mid-range game, and still be a legitimate threat from the 3. I agree that the Purdue game was probably his most impressive performance to date. Regardless, Kyle is a sophomore who is averaging a great stat line and, more importantly, has established himself as our most consistent offensive player. He's a star. I also think that Coach K's point is not saying that he wants Kyle to camp out beyond the arc, but rather that he would rather Kyle not be restricted to playing the post like he frequently had to last year. I wholeheartedly agree!

RainingThrees
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
He always seems to play best imo when he makes cuts and slips to the basket. Moving without the ball, which is a forgotten art in college ball.

ACCBBallFan
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I think the context of the quote is that Kyle should not be the big man defending the post for Duke, that should be Z backed up by Miles with Lance backing up Kyle.

This is not to say that as the 4, Kyle should not play both inside and outside on Offense. In the Purdue game he had the opportunity to replay a rivalry with Hummel who has many of the same skills and when game was on the line, Kyle won handily.

Jumbo
12-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the context of the quote is that Kyle should not be the big man defending the post for Duke, that should be Z backed up by Miles with Lance backing up Kyle.

The context of the quote says nothing of the sort.

jv001
12-12-2008, 05:08 PM
His statement did not break it down to offense and defense. He just said that's where they would like him to play. If you look at Jon, Gerald, Nolan and Kyle when on offense they all have the ability to drive to the basket. So playing on the perimeter does not mean the majority of their shots come from the 3 point line. It just means they begin play on the perimeter. Gerald and Kyle have the ability to post up. Well Jon does also. To me that makes them outside to inside players. I think Kyle definetly has the ability to be inside-out but evidently Coach K does not want that from him. All we have to do is hit atleast 30-33% of our 3's, play Duke defense and we will be just fine. Go Duke!

bird
12-12-2008, 06:06 PM
He always seems to play best imo when he makes cuts and slips to the basket. Moving without the ball, which is a forgotten art in college ball.

Forgotten art? I guess memories are short at Duke, which had one of the all-time off-the-ball movers, JJ. I'd get tired just watching him wear out defenders in his junior and senior seasons.

grossbus
12-13-2008, 02:04 PM
"I guess memories are short at Duke, which had one of the all-time off-the-ball movers, JJ. I'd get tired just watching him wear out defenders in his junior and senior seasons."

i got tired of watching him get grabbed, held, and hacked while moving without the ball.