PDA

View Full Version : 2001- So Long Ago... but it feels like Just Yesterday

BlueintheFace
12-11-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUYBf8YMq5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq3QUFMZIJ8

The 2001 Championship was almost 8 years ago... it feels like that was ages ago, but then again, sometimes it feels like just yesterday...

Just felt like throwing out a 2001 reminiscing thread during this dead period...I'm so incredibly ready for another

RainingThrees
12-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Favorite Duke team. Pro level talent at every position. Makes me sad though because I always think of Jason and what was.

The1Bluedevil
12-12-2008, 01:31 AM

The 2001 Championship was almost 8 years ago... it feels like that was ages ago, but then again, sometimes it feels like just yesterday...

Just felt like throwing out a 2001 reminiscing thread during this dead period...I'm so incredibly ready for another

2009-2010 could (if everything falls in to place) be that next another one.

davekay1971
12-12-2008, 11:15 AM
I haven't given up on this year yet...

BlueintheFace
12-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Yah, 08-09 is still going last time I checked

BobbyFan
12-12-2008, 06:13 PM

It's hard to believe that it's been almost as long since our last title as it was in 00-01. Then again, time seems to be flying so it probably applies to all events in that period.

dukemomLA
12-13-2008, 01:16 AM
My daughter and son-in-law started their Duke journey in the fall of 1997.

What a miraculous time to become a Dukie. Although we didn't win the Championship until 2001, they experienced more winning games, day after day than anyone before or since.

They camped out in the sun and the rain and the snow and the cold, every year. BUT I feel a 'new wave' coming.

This year's team -- and recruits coming, make me giddy. The REIGN of Duke is flourishing.

And yes, I agree, it seems like just yesterday when Duke won the 2001 Championship. But...all good things come to those who wait -- and work hard.

Ain't it great that Duke actually takes time off to have their STUDENT-athletes actually prepare for and take finals for real? GO DUKE.

beltwayBD
12-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Great memories. That was my first year in grad school at Duke.

rockymtn devil
12-13-2008, 07:58 PM
My freshman year at Duke. Great team.

Throughout that season I put away the SI covers that featured Duke (preseason issue signed by Battier; the FF issue; the national title issue) and kept them, in good condition, for years. Two years ago I had them matted and put into a nice frame. White background with a thin blue border and a black wooden frame. A few days after I was told it would be completed I called the framing shop because they hadn't called me. They apologized and told me that it had been done and that I could come pick it up whenever. When I showed up, it was featured in the front of the store. They liked it so much that they were waiting to call me so they could use it to show of their work. Now it hangs above my desk.

Ok, enough living in the past. '08-'09 is going to be a great year for Duke basketball!

Coballs
12-13-2008, 08:09 PM
My most vivid memories from the 2001 NC game (aside from Packer's horrible and biased announcing):
1. Dunleavy's 3 point barrage (with Battier's 2 handed block on Gardner during the series)
2. Nate James's ridiculous layup
3. Jason William's late 3 point dagger.
4. Battier getting stronger and finishing every play as the game went on (his best game at Duke IMO), capping off his great 4 year career.
5. Jim Nantz announcing, as J Will was dribbling out the game, "And Duke is on it's way to a championship!"

One of the happiest nights of my life. I've watched that game several dozen times. Ironically, I've only seen the Duke-Maryland Final 4 game in it's entirety only once - the day it was played. I'd love to watch that one again.

Cameron
12-14-2008, 12:13 AM
What a year it was. Out of all of the great moments and games from that season, however, my favorite will always remain the birth of the the Duhon Floater in Winston Salem.

Robert O'Kelley thought he had saved the occassion on Senior Night, nailing a clutch 25-footer with under ten seconds left to knot the score even. Jason Williams then rushed the length of the court. Chris sent home a precision rainbow. And a tie-adorning Dahntay Jones bulleted across the court, Barry Sanders touchdown style. Joel a tomb.

Greatest modern college team ever, IMO. Obviously our '92 club is in that debate as well, as is '96 Kentucky and '05 Carolina, but, with the leading star power and almost unstoppable tandem of Jason Williams and Shane Battier, I think our '01 squad stands slightly above the rest. Better than Bobby, Christian, and Grant? That's tough to call, but damn, Jason and Shane were amazing -- they didn't share national player of the year honors for nothing, a feat that will never again be accomplished.

davekay1971
12-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Greatest modern college team ever, IMO. Obviously our '92 club is in that debate as well, as is '96 Kentucky and '05 Carolina, but, with the leading star power and almost unstoppable tandem of Jason Williams and Shane Battier, I think our '01 squad stands slightly above the rest. Better than Bobby, Christian, and Grant?

Good question for the pre-Christmas college hoops slowdown...I'll admit, having been at Duke in '92, I'm probably partial to that team...but here's my take anyway.

PG: Hurley vs. Duhon - slight edge to Hurley. By '92 he was a decent shooter, very clutch. Probably a better shooter than Duhon. Definitely a better playmaker (though, again, Duhon was very good as well). Both were good on-the-ball defenders.

SG: T Hill vs J Will - while I love T Hill (T - U Da Man), J Will was one of the best college players at this position, ever.

SF: G Hill vs. Dunleavy - No question here, this goes to G. Better scorer, better playmaker, good rebounder, absolutely amazing defender (both on his man, and help-side). I love Dunleavy and his 3 pointers against Arizona, but G was in another world. Even though he never put up huge scoring numbers at Duke, G was one of the most complete players ever to wear the Duke uniform.

PF: Brian Davis vs. Shane Battier - Again, no question here, Shane is the man. A lot of my compliments above for Grant fit right in with Shane - scorer, rebounder, playmaker, defender...but in 2001 Shane was the senior leader, while in 1992 Grant was a breathtaking sophomore. (2001 Shane vs. 1994 Grant - another interesting comparison). Brian, on the other hand, was a nice role player.

C: Laettner vs. Boozer - total contrast in styles and skills. Boozer was a better low post player and defender, Laettner had an offensive skill set that made him a matchup nightmare for anyone (Calling Shaq...remember trying to keep up with Laettner?), and wasn't a bad rebounder or post defender. I'll give the nod to Laettner because he had that assassin's mentality, and because there has never been a more clutch performer in college basketball. Without Laettner, we don't make the finals in 1990, 1991, or 1992...

Bench: Even - both teams had good role players coming off the bench, but neither team really relied a ton on the bench.

Coach: just kidding.

My view: In a lot of ways, the teams' advantages cancel out. Grant and Shane. Boozer's inside play vs. Christian's offensive arsenal. Great contributions from Dunleavy and Thomas Hill, always in a timely fashion. Ultimately I think the 2001 team is probably more talented - I mean, Dunleavy and Duhon were role players in that starting lineup (in the words of Dickie V...ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!). But the 1992 team had a nasty streak a mile wide. It's just hard to imagine Laettner, Hurley, and Hill (all of whom would cut your heart out to win a game) not finding a way to get it done. I'll take the '92 team in an incredibly close game that I'd probably give a kidney to be able to watch...but, like I said, I'm biased.

BobbyFan
12-14-2008, 10:33 AM
PG: Hurley vs. Duhon - slight edge to Hurley. By '92 he was a decent shooter, very clutch. Probably a better shooter than Duhon. Definitely a better playmaker (though, again, Duhon was very good as well). Both were good on-the-ball defenders.

Slight edge?

C: Laettner vs. Boozer - total contrast in styles and skills. Boozer was a better low post player and defender, Laettner had an offensive skill set that made him a matchup nightmare for anyone (Calling Shaq...remember trying to keep up with Laettner?), and wasn't a bad rebounder or post defender. I'll give the nod to Laettner because he had that assassin's mentality, and because there has never been a more clutch performer in college basketball. Without Laettner, we don't make the finals in 1990, 1991, or 1992...

This match-up isn't close. You are right that Boozer was the better low post player, but Laettner's scoring versatility and passing overcomes that. And while he wasn't spectacular, Laettner was clearly a better defender than Boozer.

I agree, however, with your overall assessment. Another point to consider is that 91-92 was outstanding at the free throw line.

Greatest modern college team ever, IMO. Obviously our '92 club is in that debate as well, as is '96 Kentucky and '05 Carolina...

I'm not sure how far extend your definition of "modern", but if it includes the 80s, then the Georgetown and UNC teams are right up there. A few standout teams that didn't win it all would also deserve mention, like 83 Houston, 85 Georgetown, 86 and 99 Duke, and 91 UNLV. And I would not consider 05 UNC to be in this class.

rockymtn devil
12-14-2008, 10:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we have a little bit of revisionist history going on in this thread. In 2001, Duhon was primarily coming off the bench and JWill ran the point. Nate James started at SG. It wasn't until Boozer's injury against Maryland that K made the change to bring James off the bench and insert Duhon to start at the point. This was to complement the more up-tempo style that came with having Casey Sanders down low instead of Boozer.

davekay1971
12-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Maybe my memory is way off...I thought by tournament time Duhon was starting at and playing significant minutes at the 1. That's why in included Duhon in the comparison above.

I'm going to stand by my thoughts that Hurley had the edge over Duhon, but it is not like there's just no comparison between the two. Duhon was never the playmaker that Hurley was in college, but he was a good ballhandler and ran the offense well, even in 2001. They both made some clutch shots for us, both started out as relatively weak shooters, and both improved dramatically over their college careers. They were both good on-the-ball defenders...probably neither much better than the other. I think Hurleyfan may be biased...not sure what makes me think that ;)

davekay1971
12-14-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure how far extend your definition of "modern", but if it includes the 80s, then the Georgetown and UNC teams are right up there. A few standout teams that didn't win it all would also deserve mention, like 83 Houston, 85 Georgetown, 86 and 99 Duke, and 91 UNLV. And I would not consider 05 UNC to be in this class.

Absolutely agree with this. Using the same definition of the "modern era", 05 UNC was not at the same level as 82-84 UNC, 83 Houston, 84-85 Georgetown, 91 UNLV, 92 Duke, 99 Duke, or 2001 Duke.

BobbyFan
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm going to stand by my thoughts that Hurley had the edge over Duhon, but it is not like there's just no comparison between the two. Duhon was never the playmaker that Hurley was in college, but he was a good ballhandler and ran the offense well, even in 2001. They both made some clutch shots for us, both started out as relatively weak shooters, and both improved dramatically over their college careers. They were both good on-the-ball defenders...probably neither much better than the other. I think Hurleyfan may be biased...not sure what makes me think that ;)

I was worried my handle would create such suspicions.:) But come on...you don't need any bias to claim that a junior Bobby Hurley was more than just slightly better than a freshman Chris Duhon.

davekay1971
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
I was worried my handle would create such suspicions.:) But come on...you don't need any bias to claim that a junior Bobby Hurley was more than just slightly better than a freshman Chris Duhon.

After further consideration, I stand corrected. Duhon, like Hurley, improved by leaps and bounds between his freshman year and his junior/senior years. Hurley 1992 vs. Duhon 2001 really isn't close. Even with that correction, I think the 2001 team was more talented...and the 1992 team probably would have found a way to win.

jv001
12-15-2008, 01:19 PM
What a year it was.
Greatest modern college team ever, IMO. Obviously our '92 club is in that debate as well, as is '96 Kentucky and '05 Carolina, but, with the leading star power and almost unstoppable tandem of Jason Williams and Shane Battier, I think our '01 squad stands slightly above the rest. Better than Bobby, Christian, and Grant? That's tough to call, but damn, Jason and Shane were amazing -- they didn't share national player of the year honors for nothing, a feat that will never again be accomplished.

Our 1992 team was the best because of Laettner and his will to win and oh having the greatest point guard on that squad may help alittle. Go Duke!

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Ironically, I've only seen the Duke-Maryland Final 4 game in it's entirety only once - the day it was played. I'd love to watch that one again.

Here you go!

http://www.amazon.com/2001-NCAA-Division-Basketball-Final/dp/B000RKQ3GI