PDA

View Full Version : Men's NCAA Final (Ohio State-Florida)

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 07:52 AM
Put it here, yo.

feldspar
04-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Florida will win. Our mystique will be diminished. Then, we get to watch baseball for six months.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I like cars turning left too. Don't follow them too close. But I don't mind watching a little. Especially the open wheeled ones, what with that foxy Ms. Patrick. She's switched to Andretti Green.

CMS2478
04-02-2007, 01:04 PM
but I predict that Florida wins in a laugher. :(

Kewlswim
04-02-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi,

I predict within three years we will all be watching our beloved Blue Devils at the Final Four. As for tonight, I would prefer OSU, but I don't really care.

GO DUKE!

gannon4429
04-02-2007, 03:51 PM
I'll take the Buckeyes and Oden going out just as many people thought he would. I really just can't stand the thought of a Florida repeat.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 03:59 PM
A lot of folks all over seem to feel like this is nearly a fait accompli for Florida. But Florida was the dog in the FB national championship. Maybe Ohio State can return the punking.

My friend in Gainesville said the police have greased the light poles downtown because the kids climbed them after the BCS game.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm just hoping for a good game. Overall feeling is Gators in a big way, but I think the Bucks will make it competitive until the last 5 minutes.

npdevil27
04-02-2007, 08:15 PM
Gators in a romp, solidifying them as one of the best starting fives ever.

mgtr
04-02-2007, 09:06 PM
Billy Donavan is pretty smart, so I would expect that Florida will take it right to Oden, running him out of the building on a rail (well, OK, on fouls).

_Gary
04-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Gators in a romp, solidifying them as one of the best starting fives ever.

Are you being sarcastic with that "one of the best starting fives ever" comment? I hope so, because these guys are good, but no way are they one of the best starting fives ever. Not even close!!! Although I imagine Noah would disagree with me, as would so many Gator fans that have seemingly come out of the woodworks in the last few days. Sickening. Really sickening. They are so full of themselves right now it's not even funny.

Gary

DankeShane
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
...so many Gator fans that have seemingly come out of the woodworks in the last few days. Sickening. Really sickening. They are so full of themselves right now it's not even funny.

Gary

I was thinking today... how long before UF becomes the 'it' school to hate?

SharkD
04-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Noah's free-throw motion is painful to watch. Seriously, who taught him to shoot like that?

I was thinking today... how long before UF becomes the 'it' school to hate?

A long time, since all five of their starters are more than likely gone after this game.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 10:02 PM
33-22. Blowout in process? Red-hot Gators.

Also, for Duke fans-an uh-oh as Dick Enberg will undoubtedly slobber all over VCU at halftime in his Observations segment. Yeesh.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
One more thing-Oden is playing awfully hard tonight. He's giving Horford and Noah all they want.

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 10:05 PM
oden is making both horford and noah look average right now - at the same time.

Bob Green
04-02-2007, 10:06 PM
Brewer is on his way to an MVP performance!

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Thad is going to need to make an adjustment or UF will get 100. That screen and roll is killing them.

Kewlswim
04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi,

This game (barring ot) is half over..thankfully this season will finally end.

GO DUKE!

KyDevilinIL
04-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Unless OSU figures something out, UF could win this game by 30-plus.

If UF is going to dull the luster of Duke's repeat titles, the least they can do is eliminate that record losing margin for us.

dukepsy1963
04-02-2007, 10:27 PM

If UF is going to dull the luster of Duke's repeat titles, the least they can do is eliminate that record losing margin for us.

Couldn't agree more. And Silly Billy was correct when he said that Oden is the target...tire him out, etc. And no three's by OS either.

But, in the final analysis, I frankly don't give a D***.

Go Duke!!!

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 10:33 PM

i think "figuring something out" will include having their starting point guard on the floor.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Buckeyes are just one step slow all night.

Also-funny parallel-Noah is emotionally spent and looks like about a 1/2 of himself. Sound like anyone else in a back-to-back opportunity, about 15 years ago?

That's also the only time I'll ever compare Noah to 32. Don't want to insult Christian.

dukemsu

Exiled_Devil
04-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Couldn't agree more. And Silly Billy was correct when he said that Oden is the target...tire him out, etc. And no three's by OS either.

But, in the final analysis, I frankly don't give a D***.

Go Duke!!!

I think Silly Billy is full of it (it being himself).

I am not seeing this as brilliant coaching move by Donovan - it is an attempt to not have any of his big men foul out, not a concerted effort to tire Oden. Because frankly, dropping 28 and 16 is tiring, but Florida probably doesn't want to see that.

Exiled

arydolphin
04-02-2007, 10:57 PM
I know it's only one game, but Horford is impressing me much more than Noah. He's more of a force down on the block, and he's been able to step out to 17 feet and hit jumpers in this game. Reminds me a bit of Boozer's game, I'm sure the pro scouts will like that.

Florida is just making all of the little plays right now, every time that OSU makes a little run the Gators are able to stretch it back out to a double digit lead. This could be over quickly.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Has anyone else seen any adjustment by Matta? Just seems to keep doing the same things.

'Course, if Florida shoots like this, no one in America is going to beat them.

KyDevilinIL
04-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Well. This game, like most of this entire basketball season, pretty much sucked.

ajtrublu
04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
It was never even really a game. Blech.

FireOgilvie
04-02-2007, 11:22 PM
OSU blew it with poor three-point shooting.

Florida won it with excellent three-point shooting.

dukie8
04-02-2007, 11:28 PM
did you think matta talked to k before the game about how to run oden into the ground? he looked like a man against boys tonight. florida's 3-point shooting was unreal tonight and the difference.

mpj96
04-02-2007, 11:29 PM
FL just repeated. Time for Duke to do it again.

dukie8
04-02-2007, 11:30 PM
FL just repeated. Time for Duke to do it again.

time for duke to threepeat.

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 11:30 PM
i was gonna say - watching oden so exhausted makes me give more credit to josh for playing 38 minutes/game.

FireOgilvie
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
Noah is overrated. He's also a headcase. I wouldn't want him on my NBA team.

However, I would want Oden.

Kewlswim
04-02-2007, 11:32 PM
time for duke to threepeat.

Hi Dukie8,

I was thinking the exact same thing...threepeat threepeat threepeat = Devil's Destiny (that is before we quadrapeat, and so forth...)

GO DUKE!

Uncle Drew
04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Having just returned from a weekend trip to Florida this morning I can verify the following.......

1. Florida Basketball, despite making history tonight is and will still be a second class citizen on it's own campus to football.

2. Florida and the entire state celebrated 10 times more over their football championship than they will over BOTH basketball championships.

3. Granted their is division with FSU, Miami and Florida much like Duke, UNC and NCSU here to thin the fanbase of any one school. But Florida follows pros sports MUCH more than it cares about any college championship.

Saturday night I had to ask five natives who won the games to find out OSU would be playing Florida tonight. And their local sports led off with Dwayne Wades health status instead of Florida in the Final Four.

feldspar
04-02-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm about to barf watching the post-game (quasi) interviews. I mean...come on. How are Florida fans not embarrassed by these guys? At one point Billy D had to put his hand up to effectively tell his guys to shut up, they were making such asses out of themselves.

dukemsu
04-02-2007, 11:40 PM
Wow. Someone keep the microphone away from Noah.

I'm really sorry I compared him to Laettner now. Yikes. Act like you've been there, kid.

AnotherNYCDukeFan
04-02-2007, 11:44 PM

I'm really sorry I compared him to Laettner now. Yikes. Act like you've been there, kid.

I think the more ridiculous quote was Seth Davis condoning Noah by saying that he should speak at every Final Four. Did I really just hear that?

feldspar
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM
I think the more ridiculous quote was Seth Davis condoning Noah by saying that he should speak at every Final Four. Did I really just hear that?

Yeah. Seth just grasps for any opportunity to pit himself against idiots in order to make him sound smarter, though.

phaedrus
04-02-2007, 11:46 PM

at least noah didn't lightly tap his foot on anyone's chest. now that would be unforgivable.

feldspar
04-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Duke gets no "One Shining Moment" love. Predictably, our shot is the VCU end-game where Josh was completely flat-footed. Grrr.

Nice tribute to the UNC mascot.

jipops
04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Oden just cemented himself as the #1 pick, not even close now. I think he may have exceeded his hype tonight on the biggest stage in the college game.

The Brewer kid can straight up play. Anybody that is 6-9 with a crossover and a very smooth 22 footer has some potential in the league. His D is pretty darn good too.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2007, 12:27 AM
Oden played 38 minutes... more than anyone but Florida's Green (also 38).

25 pts (10-15 from the field)... 12 rebounds, 4 recorded blocks (I thought he had at least 5)... pretty good game.

Not too many guys out there that can do that... particularly freshmen.

hurleyfor3
04-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Congratulations to Flawda. That might sound odd coming from me, but a lot of other programs have tried to repeat but couldn't. Flawda didn't leave much doubt, and it's hard to argue tOSU wasn't the second-best team in the country. I mean, during their two-year tournament run, who should have beaten them?

Maybe it's just a 15-year phenomenon.

Also, Joachim Noah must hold some sort of world record for ugliest kid with the prettiest mom.

Anyway, we have bigger problems than someone else repeating. Duke basketball has been looking mighty ordinary recently.

RelativeWays
04-03-2007, 07:38 AM
You know I was thinking about Florida's repeat. Initially I think we all didn't want them to win so Duke could still be the last to repeat. I think the legacy of the 91 and 92 teams is pretty secure. The way college basketball is today with kids leaving left and right as soon as they achieve success, the Florida team should be applauded for accomplishing something thats even harder to do in todays college game than it was 15 years ago (and it was pretty difficult then). Grats to the gators. Who knows when we'll see this again.

KyDevilinIL
04-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Anyway, we have bigger problems than someone else repeating. Duke basketball has been looking mighty ordinary recently.

Exactly. I'm watching Florida last night, watching 2001 highlights on that boring Discovery Channel show over the weekend, and I couldn't help but think that it might be a looooong time before Duke fields a team like that again.

I know this past season was (hopefully) an aberration. But I look at who's likely to be here next year and I don't think we get much closer to where we're used to being.

I recognize that "where we're used to being" is, by definition, kind of an unrealistic goal, and I certainly don't want to sound like a UK fan. And I know its only been three seasons since the last FF. But still. "Ordinary" is a bad word at Duke, and the near future isn't exactly filling me with confidence.

Oh well.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-03-2007, 09:00 AM
.....this morning, that Florida won. Congratulations to them I suppose. I turned it off early in the second half.

I had been working very hard at not gagging every time Noah scowled and screamed and yelled and pounded his chest, mugging for the camera like he'd done something that nobody else in the world had ever done before. But,when Horford started looking around for which ever camera was on him, shivering and showboating after any and all of his scores as well, I decided to just go read a good book. It was more ego tripping and showbiz than basketball. Boorish at best.

Love, Ima

Karl Beem
04-03-2007, 09:04 AM
Exactly. I'm watching Florida last night, watching 2001 highlights on that boring Discovery Channel show over the weekend, and I couldn't help but think that it might be a looooong time before Duke fields a team like that again.

Oh well.

Well yeah. This year's Florida team wouldn't have made the final four in '92.

feldspar
04-03-2007, 09:17 AM
Well yeah. This year's Florida team wouldn't have made the final four in '92.

Yeah, I mean I know it's awfully basketball snobbish of me to think like this, and exposes my true homerism, but Laettner/Hurley/Hill would have taken this group of loud-mouths out to lunch. Not even close.

rthomas
04-03-2007, 09:21 AM
Mainly Noah was screaming and scowling every time he fouled. He didn't play that much.

On the other hand, Duke is not exempt from showboating. Danthay flexing or Magette dunking and smacking the backboard. Laettner screaming.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Danthay and Maggetti were never prime examples of typical Duke basketball behavior. As for Laettner, I remember him (and it's been rather a long time ago at this point) as being a rather quiet killer.

Love, Ima

dukelifer
04-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Congratulations to Flawda. That might sound odd coming from me, but a lot of other programs have tried to repeat but couldn't. Flawda didn't leave much doubt, and it's hard to argue tOSU wasn't the second-best team in the country. I mean, during their two-year tournament run, who should have beaten them?

Maybe it's just a 15-year phenomenon.

Also, Joachim Noah must hold some sort of world record for ugliest kid with the prettiest mom.

You mean this year or the past five years? How recently is recently? Duke had a 20+ win season after several years of winning the ACC tourney and ending the season at or near the top in the regular season rankings. While you have to go ALL the way back to 2001 for a championship- it not as long as lets say KY or Kansas or UCLA or Ohio State or Georgetown or other supposed historically or recently great programs.

mgtr
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Random thoughts on the game: Florida deserved to win, they played pretty well. OSU, except for Oden, played poorly. Oden played better than I have ever seen him play, and better than I thought he could play. Noah is childlike -- not childish, but childlike. He could have starred in "Big." Brewer really pushed his draft status up, as did Horford. Conley made some big plays, but on the whole was ineffective as compared to other games.

fred.bones
04-03-2007, 03:14 PM
"WE GONNA DO IT BIG, ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, DO IT HUGE, YOU GUYS GOT NO IDEA WHAT I'M TALKING BOUT BUT, BUT, BUT, BUT MY BOYS KNOW. THE GATOR BOYS KNOW. GAINSVILLE KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT"

well said, Joakim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JsDoQDzTA