PDA

View Full Version : Davidson 68, West Virginia 65

JasonEvans
12-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Anyone else watching this game? I just saw two of the worst calls in a long while by the baseline ref under the Davidson basket.

First, at the 2:55 mark, Davidson is shooting a FT. The shot is missed and the offensive rebound comes to a Davidson guy who is clearly standing out of bounds. It is not even close. More than half of the guy's foot is over the baseline. he is standing right in front of the ref who looks down for a heartbeat but doe snot notice the obvious out of bounds.

Then, at the 2:05 mark, again a rebound is bouncing around at the Davidson basket and a Davidson player flings the ball back in bounds as he is falling out. The ball hits off the leg of a WVU player and goes to a different WVU kid who had been clearly established as out of bounds and had not established himself back in bounds. Again, this happens right in front of the baseline ref, who again swallows his whistle. It was not nearly as bad as the first one, but it was again noticeable.

I was quite surprised that Jay Bilas did not note either of these at all.

-Jason "nice to see Davidson succeeding against a big conference opponent without a big game (so far) from Curry" Evans

Wander
12-09-2008, 08:13 PM
He's not shooting well, but make no mistake - Curry is still playing well and is the best player on the court by a wide margin.

And yeah, I noticed both of those non-calls. I wasn't too sure about the second, but the first one was incredibly obvious.

And man, Bob Knight is five thousand times cooler than Digger.

Oh, also: when they were talking about the free throw shooting, Jay said something like "You want your teams to make more free throws than your opponents attempt, and WVU is nowhere near that right now." I think WVU was 4-12 and Davidson was 0-2 at that point, so...

ugadevil
12-09-2008, 08:22 PM
That reminds me of those wonderful FIBA officials from the Olympics. I don't remember who it was against but there was a play where Kobe was guarding a player on the baseline and the guy clearly stepped out of bounds. Kobe stopped guarding him because he figured it was obvious but the ref let them play on and the guy proceeded to hit a long jump shot. Kobe turned and pointed at the spot where the player had stepped out and then he just shook his head as he jogged back down the court.

FireOgilvie
12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Bilas just said that this was the worst game he's ever seen Curry play. I have to agree with that. He's looked terrible, especially after the first 10 minutes of the game. He has 9 assists so far, but he also has at least 6 turnovers.

JasonEvans
12-09-2008, 09:06 PM
If you thought Kyle Singler and Duke had an off game against Michigan...

Curry is currently 1-13 from 3 point land. Whew!

--Jason "and, for the most part, he is not taking bad shots" Evans

BD80
12-09-2008, 09:24 PM

1-13??? Did Huggy throw the triangle and 2 at him???

Ignatius07
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Not 1-13 anymore. He's just hit a few huge 3s.

FireOgilvie
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Curry had a nice run at the end of the game to redeem himself. He made some huge shots and free throws down the stretch to pull the game out. He made 13 of the last 14 points for Davidson. Nice.

dukelifer
12-09-2008, 09:29 PM

That was the best worst game I have ever seen of a player. At one point he was 1-16! 1-16! He is awful shooting the whole night until the game is on the line- singlehandedly hits the last 13 of Davidson's 14 points - and wins the game. Amazing player who just does not get down on himself. He ends up with 27 points and 10 assists- a ton of turnovers but a win is a win. Best worst game ever.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-09-2008, 09:33 PM
I wonder how many points Henderson would put up if he shot the ball 27 times.

dukelifer
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Some players live for the big moment and play their best when the heat is on. Jordan was like that. Curry is not Jordan- but he, like Jordan, loves the big moment. He could not buy a bucket all night- brick after brick- and then forgets all of them and just takes over like he was hitting all night. It is not how many points you get with 27 shots- but when you get them.

Wander
12-09-2008, 09:47 PM

I wonder if Henderson will shoot the ball 27 times combined all season.

loran16
12-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Seriously I don't get [this line of reasoning].

Curry takes so many shots because he is by far the best player on their team (not that big of a detriment, they have some solid players) and because he can make those shots. He's often open for those shots.

The kid is just ridiculously talented and comes through in the clutch. [Accusing] him of being a ball hog [is stupid].

ugadevil
12-09-2008, 10:19 PM

I wonder if Henderson could get 10 assists along with taking 27 shots.

Ders24
12-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Curry is just amazing to watch. And any time a Bob Huggins team loses, it makes me happy.

davekay1971
12-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Curry is just amazing to watch. And any time a Bob Huggins team loses, it makes me happy.

Ditto on both those statements. I think it was Curry's mom shouting at him that he was over-shooting it that got him going. You always have to listen to mom. Curry's spurt at the end was one of those "Yes, I am a star" kind of spurts. He struggled for the middle 25 minutes of the game then took over at the end. Fun player to watch.

I also enjoyed the Jimmy V speech at halftime. I watched that when it originally aired on the ESPYs, and it was moving then. It's more moving now.

dyedwab
12-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Stephen Curry makes Davidson basketball appointment television this season. Even when he has a bad game, he becomes the man at the end.

All I can say is wow!

I'm not sure that there is a recent comparison to what Curry is doing - scoring by the bucket load AND dishing out assists. Any thoughts as to who the last guy was like this?

davekay1971
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
J Will!

SMO
12-10-2008, 01:00 PM

I wonder if Davidson's fan board has a number of posts like this:
"Davidson clearly can't recruit good players and is in deparate need of a dominant low post presence like Elton Brand and perhaps a Carlos Boozer on the side. Curry's off night proves this beyond any doubt."
:D:D:D:D

BlueintheFace
12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I wonder if Henderson will shoot the ball 27 times combined all season.

haha, Amen

BlueintheFace
12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Seriously I don't get [this line of reasoning].

Curry takes so many shots because he is by far the best player on their team (not that big of a detriment, they have some solid players) and because he can make those shots. He's often open for those shots.

The kid is just ridiculously talented and comes through in the clutch. [Accusing] him of being a ball hog [is stupid].

A) K says Henderson could be one of the best player's in America. Sems like an interesting question to me.

B) Nobody called him a ball hog. He obviously NEEDS to take all those shots. I think the inference is that part of the perception about his scoring ability is aided by the fact that he has the all-clear all 40 minutes on the court.

Wander
12-10-2008, 05:44 PM
Any question about whether Curry's numbers are only the result of taking a lot of shots and/or playing against weaker competition were answered last March. Ditto for the question about whether a guy like Gerald Henderson/Wayne Ellington/Jon Scheyer/etc are as good of a college player as Curry. There's no debate to be had on the subject.

ugadevil
12-10-2008, 07:15 PM
B) Nobody called him a ball hog. He obviously NEEDS to take all those shots. I think the inference is that part of the perception about his scoring ability is aided by the fact that he has the all-clear all 40 minutes on the court.

When Davidson plays Duke, I hope Curry drops 50 on 15 shots and Duke still wins.

BlueintheFace
12-10-2008, 07:17 PM
When Davidson plays Duke, I hope Curry drops 50 on 15 shots and Duke still wins.

sacrilege!!

gumbomoop
12-10-2008, 08:19 PM
I enjoyed last night's Davidson-W.Va. game, in part because it took me away from continuing to think about Duke-Mich, but mostly because Curry's so much fun to watch. His, and longer term the McKillop/Davidson "story," is a nice one. Except for the fact that we are in Kansas' debt for their semi-final pasting of Carolina last year, it sure would have been nice to see Davidson in the Final 4.

I like dukelifer's hyperbolic but understandable assessment of Curry: "best worst game ever." As one who hopes to appreciate the artistry of sport, I'd like to ask whether any of you were as impressed as I with C's court awareness generally [of course you were], and, very specifically, with that wonderful more-than-half-court pass he made in the first half to..... I can't remember. But here's what I definitely remember: C was tip-toeing along the sideline, got the ball before opponent, and quick-flipped a pass to a wide-open teammate. Most impressive, however, was that C put delicious English on the ball, slight but distinct, so that when it hit the floor it had right-hand "slice" curve and bounced a bit to the right and perfectly into teammate's hand for no dribble lay-up. High sport-art.

This wasn't luck. It was deliberate, and C did 3 or 4 things in just a second or two to make this perfect play. Only 2 points, just an assist, but lovely sport-art.

ClosetHurleyFan
12-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I wonder if Henderson could get 10 assists along with taking 27 shots.

Furthermore, who cares? A comparison between Curry and Henderson in the manner in which this poster has rendered it is completely laughable, not to mention a total insult to Curry. And the worst thing is that this isnt the first time I have seen people on this board say things like, "oh what if so and so for Duke took this many shots." Henderson is a nice athletic player, but spare us the dumb insulting comparisons.

JasonEvans
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Furthermore, who cares? A comparison between Curry and Henderson in the manner in which this poster has rendered it is completely laughable, not to mention a total insult to Curry. And the worst thing is that this isnt the first time I have seen people on this board say things like, "oh what if so and so for Duke took this many shots." Henderson is a nice athletic player, but spare us the dumb insulting comparisons.

While I am inclined to agree that the comparison of Curry and Henderson that was made earlier in this thread is at least somewhat ill-conceived, I think we should all be careful about being too strident in our responses to posts with which we disagree.

Please, treat other posters with respect.

--Jason "wearing the mod hat" Evans

BlueintheFace
12-11-2008, 03:39 PM
... I still would love to know what kind of numbers Scheyer or G would have on Davidson this year in place of Curry and how good the team would be... oh well

JasonEvans
12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
... I still would love to know what kind of numbers Scheyer or G would have on Davidson this year in place of Curry and how good the team would be... oh well

Neither Scheyer nor Henderson are nearly as good as Curry at creating their own shot, so they would not be shooting at much as he does. I would guess that Scheyer would be averaging around 16-18 per game, not a lot more than he does at Duke. Henderson might be a touch higher because he can create for himself a bit more than Scheyer does. Henderson might be as high as 20 ppg, though that could be a stretch.

With either of them, I think Davidson is still an NCAA tournament team as they come from a small conference which they would still be the favorite-- but I think they would be looking at a #13 or so seed as opposed to right now where they are looking at a #6 or so seed.

--Jason "totally mindless speculation on my part" Evans

ClosetHurleyFan
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
As I said in my private response to Jason's message that I was too harsh, I agree and apologize for getting to harsh.

Thanks.

dukelifer
12-11-2008, 07:30 PM

To me, Scheyer and Curry are somewhat comparable. Scheyer is supposedly a tad taller- but but gut says they are about the same size. Both move very well on the floor (with and without the ball)- they sort of float from place to place- both have high bball IQ's and are good defenders because they know where to be on the floor. They both can create off the dribble and are excellent free throw shooters. The big and key differences are that Curry has a gun - a very quick release and Scheyer still needs more time to get his shot off- and Curry is a better long range shooter. If Scheyer could quicken his release- and I have no idea if that is even possible- and his shot gets more consistent- he could be getting a lot of attention. The rest of his game is excellent.

dukelifer
12-11-2008, 07:35 PM
On PTI today, Reggie Miller was asked about Curry and Hansbrough. He thought that Curry needed to find the right system/team to be successful in the NBA given that he is a relatively small shooting guard and not really an elite point guard at this stage. He thought Hansbrough was too short and would need to become a very good outside shooter to be a starter. Hansbrough has been working on his shot and while it is not textbook, it does go in- so it will be interesting to see how much he shows that off this year.

davekay1971
12-12-2008, 11:22 AM
On PTI today, Reggie Miller was asked about Curry and Hansbrough. He thought that Curry needed to find the right system/team to be successful in the NBA given that he is a relatively small shooting guard and not really an elite point guard at this stage. He thought Hansbrough was too short and would need to become a very good outside shooter to be a starter. Hansbrough has been working on his shot and while it is not textbook, it does go in- so it will be interesting to see how much he shows that off this year.

With the caveat that I'm a Hansbrough-hater...I don't think his outside shot is at all effective at this point. I smile every time he takes it because he simply isn't a very good shooter. While he's not a "self-check" outside the lane, he's also clearly not a significant threat away from the basket at this point. It would be my dream for him to step out and shoot as often as possible when the 'Holes play Duke.

Regardless, he'll have a career in the pros based on his rebounding alone. He can make a career out of boards and put-backs...though I don't think he'll ever be an all-star.

davekay1971
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry, that last post was completely off-topic, wasn't it? Returning the matter to Curry, to my mind he's the player of the year at this point, though obviously there are others in the discussion. My reasons:

1) He leads the nation in scoring, despite opting to take a donut against Loyola
2) He's at his best in crunch time
3) Counting his assists, he accounts for a sick percentage of Davidson's points
4) He has made a team that would otherwise probably have to win their conference to get in to the tournament into a legit top 25 team.
5) He's the biggest must-watch player in college hoops since Kevin Durant.

sagegrouse
12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
As I said in my private response to Jason's message that I was too harsh, I agree and apologize for getting to harsh.

Thanks.

"Yes, I have made a mistake. Once -- I believe it was 1988 -- I said that I was wrong about something. That was a real mistake.

"-- Anonymous"

sagegrouse

ClosetHurleyFan
12-12-2008, 12:53 PM
"Yes, I have made a mistake. Once -- I believe it was 1988 -- I said that I was wrong about something. That was a real mistake.

"-- Anonymous"

sagegrouse

Sorry Sagegrouse, maybe its my carolina education, but I dont get your post....