PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick complaint

slower
12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
On his radio show this morning, Dan Patrick said that Tyler Hansbrough has won an NCAA championship. I'm constantly blown away by the lack of knowledge of big-time sports "personalities". Not sure whether he corrected his ignorance after I turned off the radio in disgust.

pratt '04
12-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Dan Patrick doesn't work for ESPN anymore.

Tim1515
12-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Dan Patrick also said today that Grant Hill wasn't hated as much as Laettner, Redick and company because he didn't stay in school long...

I really don't like Dan at all but it's the only sports radio I get on the way to work. He is the exact type of fan/media that i can't stand. He's rude, he thinks his opinion is always right and hates on programs like Duke just because it's the "cool" thing to do.

slower
12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Dan Patrick doesn't work for ESPN anymore.

Imagine that the name of the thread is "Dan Patrick Stupidity" :D

slower
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Ouch -the irony bug just bit me rather hard! Could have sworn there was an intro pimping ESPN Radio. My bad.

How Dan Patrick-like to get my facts wrong. Arrrgghhhh.

ugadevil
12-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Ouch -the irony bug just bit me rather hard! Could have sworn there was an intro pimping ESPN Radio. My bad.

How Dan Patrick-like to get my facts wrong. Arrrgghhhh.

He had been doing some writing for Sports Illustrated, but I'm not sure if he still is or not. It's like ESPN made a trade of Dan Patrick for Rick Reilly. I think ESPN is turning Scott Van Pelt into the new Dan Patrick. SVP is the sort of sarcastic/dry humor character on his radio show that Patrick was...also, Van Pelt isn't afraid to give his opinion or say some pointed things. Still, I like Van Pelt a lot more than DP.

A-Tex Devil
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Scott Van Pelt, despite being a Terp, always seems to be on the ball. Unlike every other radio host out there, I can't remember him once making a broad generalization or simply misstating a fact and playing it off as patently true. Sure he'll dig on Duke occasionally, but not in a way like, say, Colin Cowherd (the worst guy on radio, IMHO, even worse than Rome on a bad day) does -- playing it off as fact. I know Cowherd has a knack for stirring the pot to get ratings, but I also find him to have very little knowledge of sports considering the position he's in.

Tirico is OK, but if it's not NFL or golf, he is grossly misinformed. That's where I think SVP adds some credibility to that show. Tirico is the name, but SVP makes sure the show doesn't degenerate.

I stopped listening to DP after he left ESPN, but I don't remember him getting his facts wrong as much as is described in this thread. Sounds like complacency, laziness and resting on his name for ratings, I guess.

blazindw
12-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Scott Van Pelt, despite being a Terp, always seems to be on the ball. Unlike every other radio host out there, I can't remember him once making a broad generalization or simply misstating a fact and playing it off as patently true. Sure he'll dig on Duke occasionally, but not in a way like, say, Colin Cowherd (the worst guy on radio, IMHO, even worse than Rome on a bad day) does -- playing it off as fact.

He classicly ripped the Maryland students after the game where JJ scored 26 and the students proceeded with the "-- You, JJ" chant. Something to the effect of "You think you're cool by chanting that? Dude, he dropped 26 on you and went home. You all are the ones who looked like chumps".

davekay1971
12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Acknowledging that Dan Patrick is off ESPN radio...much of what is written above is why I don't listen to ESPN radio. My two basic options around here are ESPN radio vs. local sports talk. The local sports talk may be Carolina homer-ish, with poor production values, and feature Billy Packer's evil spawn...but at least it ain't Colin Cowherd and the rest of the 4 letter network.

ugadevil
12-09-2008, 08:17 PM
My favorite thing about Dan Patrick being replaced by Tirico and Van Pelt means that Reggie Miller doesn't get guaranteed air-time anymore.

dukemsu
12-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Patrick, even though he does not work for ESPN, was the worst victim of ESPN disease. He thought he was the show. Still does. He thinks he is hilarious, wants to tell you about his kids even though no one is interested....etc. And he clearly has no love for sports anymore. He just likes being on TV and radio. Greenberg and Golic are almost as bad, and will be shortly.

I think that happens to a lot of these guys-they become disillusioned or sick of sports, thus the snarkiness/I'm Better Than This attitude. Costas is the captain and king of this team.

Anyone who thinks Grant Hill left school early clearly was not watching basketball in the 90s. He and Duncan were consistently celebrated as the two guys who could have left early and stayed.

dukemsu

weezie
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Did anyone read DP's interview w/K in the 11/25 SI? I'm not an SI online subscriber so I can't link it, sorry.

geraldsneighbor
12-10-2008, 09:52 PM
The mistake was never corrected. I think it slipped out because he was talking about Tim Tebow at the same time.

calltheobvious
12-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Who are the guys who come to mind most quickly when you think of guys who could have left early but didn't? Throw in football if you like.

happydays1949
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Who are the guys who come to mind most quickly when you think of guys who could have left early but didn't? Throw in football if you like.

Grant Hill, Phil Ford, Tim Duncan

Olympic Fan
12-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Grant Hill, Phil Ford, Tim Duncan

Add Peyton Manning ... there were stories about how he consulted with Tim Duncan over his decision to return to Tennessee for his senior year.

Obviously, there are a lot more. From Duke, Danny Ferry came closer to leaving early than Grant did. Remember when Jason Williams was pondering a return for his junior year after winning the title in 2001? CBS/ESPN commentator Seth Davis -- a Duke grad who should have known better -- said he'd eat his hat (was it his hat? I know it was something) if Jason came back ... which he did.

The Sports Illustrated preseason basketball cover in 1983 was a parody of the famous painting "The Spirit of 76" -- with three college players who passed up the NBA to return to school, all made up as Revolutionary War soliders. I recall that Ralph Sampson and Mark Aguirre were two. I can't remember the third (not Akeem -- 83 was his breakout year).

hurleyfor3
12-11-2008, 02:23 PM

JJ and Shelden

Carlos
12-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I heard a Dan Patrick talking about Oscar De La Hoya the other day on the radio and he said that after his recent loss to Manny Pacquiao, De La Hoya unanimously agreed with his former trainer Freddie Roach who felt that Oscar should have retired after the Mayweather fight.

How does a single person do anything other than unanimously act on something? Does Oscar have multiple personalities in there that I'm not aware of?