PDA

View Full Version : The newest Hall of Famer

Olympic Fan
12-08-2008, 03:17 PM
The veterans committee of the baseball Hall of Famer completed its annual meeting today and voted to elect just one old-timer -- former Yankee (and Indian) second-baseman Joe Gordon.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=10390&vkey=hof_pr

I love the pick -- Gordon was truly great all-around player. Statistically, he's second only to Mazeroski in the ability to turn the double play. He also had real power -- 20 plus homer runs seven times -- which was a lot in that era, especially since he played most of his career as a right-handed hitter in the old Yankee Stadium (which was death to right-handed power).

His career average was just .268, but his career OPS was an outstanding .823. He won the 1942 MVP and played in nine all-star games in 12 years. His career would have been longer, but he missed two and a half prime seasons due to WWII.

Best of all, he was a winner. The Yankees won five pennants and four World Series title with Gordon starting at second. After 1946, he was traded the Indians (for P Allie Reynolds), helping Cleveland win the 1948 AL pennant and their last World Seies title.

Obviously, I love the pick ... my only gripe with the committee was the failure to add Ron Santo, a very deserving third-baseman (the most under-represented position in the HOF).

rasputin
12-09-2008, 12:59 PM
The veterans committee of the baseball Hall of Famer completed its annual meeting today and voted to elect just one old-timer -- former Yankee (and Indian) second-baseman Joe Gordon.

http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=10390&vkey=hof_pr

I love the pick -- Gordon was truly great all-around player. Statistically, he's second only to Mazeroski in the ability to turn the double play. He also had real power -- 20 plus homer runs seven times -- which was a lot in that era, especially since he played most of his career as a right-handed hitter in the old Yankee Stadium (which was death to right-handed power).

His career average was just .268, but his career OPS was an outstanding .823. He won the 1942 MVP and played in nine all-star games in 12 years. His career would have been longer, but he missed two and a half prime seasons due to WWII.

Best of all, he was a winner. The Yankees won five pennants and four World Series title with Gordon starting at second. After 1946, he was traded the Indians (for P Allie Reynolds), helping Cleveland win the 1948 AL pennant and their last World Seies title.

Obviously, I love the pick ... my only gripe with the committee was the failure to add Ron Santo, a very deserving third-baseman (the most under-represented position in the HOF).
I like the pick too. I agree about Santo, and I also think Jim Kaat should be in. (He was on the same list.)
Now we'll see what the baseball writers do. Obviously Rickey Henderson will get in. I think Jim Rice will get in this time, although he shouldn't. And I agree with Rob Neyer that Bert Blyleven should be in, but I don't think he'll get there.