PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup 12/8

gw67
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
The ACC had an 8-2 record this weekend. I believe Olympic Fan predicted a Florida State win over ranked Florida but I’m sure very few others did after the Noles poor performance against Northwestern. No one predicted a loss by the Devils but I will leave it at that.

I presume that Vasquez will be POW for conference. He followed up a 23 point, 6 assist, 12 rebound, 3 steal performance with a 17 point, 5 assist, 11 rebound, 2 steal performance.

It appears that this is “cupcake” week for ACC teams. The conference plays 13 games but only the Virginia Tech @ Georgia is against a decent opponent and the SEC appears to be down this year.

gw67

riverside6
12-08-2008, 08:45 AM
Olympic Fan might have called the FSU game, but I did too (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=227592&postcount=28)

Nice to see a hunch go my way for once! I just didn't think Florida was as good as their ranking and I see a lot of talent on that FSU squad. Alabi, Singleton, and Douglas could all make some noise in the NBA, and Reid and DeMercy are solid college players. The Noles also have some decent depth in Echefu, Loucks, Dulkys, etc.

gw67
12-08-2008, 09:31 AM
riverside - I apologize if you were the one who made the prediction in a thread I started last week. Besides Tennessee, it appears that SEC is weak this year.

gw67

Olympic Fan
12-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I wish I had been bold enough to predict an FSU win ...

All I did was respond to your prediction that made it sound like a sure ACC OOC loss by pointing out that FSU had a two-game winning streak in the series and couldn't be counted out playing at home.

BTW, since I can't brag about predicting an FSU upset, let me brag about projecting the NC State-Davidson game as the most interesting matchup of the weekend (although that wasn't such a hard prediction). Great game and great, great pertformance by Curry. His 3-pointer to beat the shot clock was one of the great shots anywhere this season. Can't wait for his visit to Cameron on Jan. 7.

Some pretty good wins for the ACC over the weekend, especially head-to-head with the SEC -- Miami AT Kentucky ... shorthanded Georgia Tech over Vanderbilt and FSU over Florida.

The ACC is off to a 4-0 start against the SEC. In fact, the ACC is 19-11 against the other five BCS conferences -- the league has a winning record against everybody except the Big East (4-4). Overall, I've got the ACC at 75-16 in OOC games.

All in all, a great weekend of basketball -- with the one obvious exception of the outcome in Ann Arbor.

And for the upcoming week, I agree with GW -- Virginia Tech at Georgia is the only one of 13 OOC games that has the slightest interest. Even though Georgia is down, that's a good road test for one of the ACC's most disappointing teams. We've seen Va Tech get going late after a slow start before, but it's also cost them a couple of NCAA bids. Too early for a bubble watch, but not too early to worry that the Hokies are playing themselves into a deep, deep NCAA at large hole.

just_wondering
12-08-2008, 12:34 PM
GW67,

I think you meant to type "POY"

Did you go? There was nobody there. They gave away 2,000 tickets to veterans. I assume the schools paid for what few students were there. There were maybe 7,000 people in the stands. Maybe 5,000 people actually bought tickets. I don't see how the BB&T can continue. I had a very nice $15 ticket and was able to roam the arena at will
Maryland was riding a 4 game losing streak in the tournament. They had also lost their last two games against GW. But this was a much different match up than those games.

The ACC had an 8-2 record this weekend. I believe Olympic Fan predicted a Florida State win over ranked Florida but I’m sure very few others did after the Noles poor performance against Northwestern. No one predicted a loss by the Devils but I will leave it at that.

I presume that Vasquez will be POW for conference. He followed up a 23 point, 6 assist, 12 rebound, 3 steal performance with a 17 point, 5 assist, 11 rebound, 2 steal performance.

It appears that this is “cupcake” week for ACC teams. The conference plays 13 games but only the Virginia Tech @ Georgia is against a decent opponent and the SEC appears to be down this year.

gw67

pfrduke
12-08-2008, 12:43 PM
GW67,

I think you meant to type "POY"

Did you go? There was nobody there. They gave away 2,000 tickets to veterans. I assume the schools paid for what few students were there. There were maybe 7,000 people in the stands. Maybe 5,000 people actually bought tickets. I don't see how the BB&T can continue. I had a very nice $15 ticket and was able to roam the arena at will
Maryland was riding a 4 game losing streak in the tournament. They had also lost their last two games against GW. But this was a much different match up than those games.

No, he meant "W" - week - not "Y" - year. The ACC recognizes players of the week all season. I think he's going to be right, too.

Bob Green
12-09-2008, 10:23 PM
With the one point loss to Georgia, Virginia Tech has now lost four games by a total of eight points. This has to be hard on the Hokies. I'm no VT fan, but I hate seeing the ACC lose OOC games. I'm one of those guys that believe wins are "good for the conference" and benefit everyone in the long run.