PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Michigan (II)

Jumbo
12-06-2008, 05:31 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the game at Michigan?

nyr484
12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
DeShawn Sims

devildeac
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
where is the "none of the above" option?

dukebluelemur
12-06-2008, 05:34 PM
None of the Above option please? Or maybe Olek, for doing the least damage...

Bluedog
12-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Scheyer couldn't shoot the three, but, other than that, played a good game as he was at least active on the defensive and offensive end - and hit all 6 of his 2-point attempts. There were breakdowns in help D, though....But gotta give MOTM to somebody...

Kim*
12-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Jordan Davidson.

CameronCrazy'11
12-06-2008, 05:45 PM
the rim?

Jumbo
12-06-2008, 05:45 PM
You know, a team can lose a game and certain players can still perform well. Scheyer was excellent inside the arc, had a number of beautiful passes, had a couple of steals, and did a very good job on Harris for much of the game. He gets my vote.

Saratoga2
12-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Scheyer contributed on the offense and played solid defense. Harris would have gotten by any of our defenders. Our help side defense was totally missing, especially at the end of the match.

Zoubek had a good game for him as well. When the numbers come out, he will look good statistically again. Is it his physical condition that prevents him from logging more minutes?

Devilsfan
12-06-2008, 06:09 PM
That one poster is right it WAS Sims. He played one heck of a game!

Bob Green
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Zoubek had a good game for him as well. When the numbers come out, he will look good statistically again. Is it his physical condition that prevents him from logging more minutes?

I would also like to know the answer to this question.

CameronCrazy'11
12-06-2008, 06:28 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure why he doesn't get more burn. If you extrapolate his averages to 25-30 minutes a game, he'd be averaging almost a double-double and 2 blocks. He's clearly a lot better than last year on offense, and I think he's stepped up his D as well. He would probably foul out a fair amount, but I think we could deal with that.

Oriole Way
12-06-2008, 06:30 PM

I am fairly certain it is K and his over-reliance on his star players.

mgtr
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
I thought Zoubek was the only effective Dukie tonight. I also do not understand why he didn't play more. He was a virtual lock for a basket or a free throw every time he got the ball down low.

Bob Green
12-06-2008, 06:34 PM
I am fairly certain it is K and his over-reliance on his star players.

I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic. I'm not questioning the coaching staff or the strategy we employ, etc...I simply desire to know if Zoubek has recovered completely and whether or not he is in good physical condition.

Jumbo
12-06-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought Zoubek was the only effective Dukie tonight. I also do not understand why he didn't play more. He was a virtual lock for a basket or a free throw every time he got the ball down low.

I wouldn't call Zoubs a lock for anything down low on offense. We tried to go to him early in the second half, and he fumbled the ball once and then shot a really weak turnaround that he missed badly another time.

More to the point, Zoubek's defense limits him. DeShawn Sims absolutely schooled Duke today, and that's a really, really tough matchup for Zoubs.

I also don't think he has the stamina to go, say, 25 minutes.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Singler did almost have a triple double

watzone
12-06-2008, 06:48 PM
IMO< Scheyer clearly played the best overall floor game of any Devil. Singlers numbers look good until you realize how many threes he jacked up when those back doors would have benefited him more. We needed Singler down low in this kind of a game. Post up and get those buckets and the threes will come.

This was a day when every single player did something silly and I keep replaying bad plays in my mind. Scheyer is the only one that's not in my minds eye making a bad decision.

Still, this was very much a TEAM loss.

chrisheery
12-06-2008, 07:01 PM
He might have been the player who did exactly what is expected of him. Played good defense, got some strong rebounds, and didn't miss any threes (or shoot any). So, I voted for him. I'd like to see him try to shoot a little more when he catches the ball in gaps and short corners.

The1Bluedevil
12-06-2008, 07:05 PM
I sure hope Elliot improves his 3 point shooting. From what I have seen from him so far he is a liability from the arc.

Madrasdukie
12-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I'm going with Scheyer. It's just hard that his shot isn't falling, yet. But it's good that he and the team are learning, early in the season, not to rely on jump shots.

Oriole Way
12-06-2008, 07:40 PM
He might have been the player who did exactly what is expected of him. Played good defense, got some strong rebounds, and didn't miss any threes (or shoot any). So, I voted for him. I'd like to see him try to shoot a little more when he catches the ball in gaps and short corners.

McClure missed his only 3-pt attempt, from the corner no less. NO ONE was hitting the three tonight, except in the last two or three minutes when the game was already decided.

chrisheery
12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
McClure missed his only 3-pt attempt, from the corner no less. NO ONE was hitting the three tonight, except in the last two or three minutes when the game was already decided.

Crap, can I take my vote back?

Billy Dat
12-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Again, the two headed beast is the identity of this team. But, I am sticking with Kyle. I just like the way he fights out there. I don't care how many 3s he takes, because he knows that he needs to be the man on this team. The minute he stops being aggressive and drawing attention is the minute we go back to running that 1940s weave at the half court like 2006/07. Keep bringing the fire, Singler!

Wander
12-06-2008, 08:36 PM
But, I am sticking with Kyle. I just like the way he fights out there. I don't care how many 3s he takes, because he knows that he needs to be the man on this team.

Agreed - if he goes 3-9 on threes instead of 1-9, we're all here raving about his near triple-double carrying us to victory.

ACCBBallFan
12-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Scheyer was Duke's best, but Michigan had two better.

Bad execution of a bad strategy vs the 1-3-1 but bigger probelm was lack of defense. Scored 2 more in 81-73 loss than in 71-56 win but gave up a whopping 25 more.

Looks like Michigan staff made better use of game film from game 1.

When Sims and Harris play that well, if they get a little help from their friends, Michigan can compete in B10 where Purdue and Mich St so far are not as good as advertised, and lump in with Wisc, Ohio St, Ill, Mich, MN, and NW in an 8-way race, with Penn State and Iowa not that far behind, and Indiana a lock for #11. I doubt if too many B10 conference records are better than 11-7 or worse than 7-11 this year

Rating Player
92 DeShawn Sims, F
71 Manny Harris, G
70 Jon Scheyer, G
63 Kyle Singler, F
57 Zack Novak, G
55 Nolan Smith, G
50 Gerald Henderson, G-F
48 TOTALS-Michigan
44 Kelvin Grady, G
41 TOTALS-Duke
39 Lance Thomas, F
38 Brian Zoubek, C
38 Jevohn Shepherd, F
33 David McClure, F
28 David Merritt, G
19 Zack Gibson, F
14 Stu Douglass, G
10 C.J. Lee, G
8 Anthony Wright, F
7 Martynas Pocius, G
7 Elliot Williams, G
6 Greg Paulus, G
2 Miles Plumlee, F

bird
12-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I'm going with Z as a shout out to one of the most encouraging developments so far this season: getting real production from Z.

Scheyer, however, demonstrated again that he is one of the most cerebral Duke players in recent memory. Maybe even back to Shane.

jv001
12-07-2008, 11:59 PM
It came down to Jon, Gerald and Brian and I voted for Brian. On a night that no one played their best, it came down to who played ok. Jon did a good job with 16 pts, 2 assists, 3 TO's, 1-5 from 3 point land. Gerald 11 pts, 4-8 , 2-4 3ptrs, 4 assists, 2 blocks and 1 TO. Brian had 8pts, 5 rebs, 1 assist, 0 to's only 2 fouls. This is in only 14 mins. Jon played 34 mins. and Gerald 19 mins. So my vote goes to Zoubs. Go Duke!

Jeffrey
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi,

Jon earned my vote. I think Jon has been our most consistent player all year and this game was no different.

I'm really looking forward to Gerald playing more consistently. We will be a much better team when that happens.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

ncexnyc
12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Nobody on our team had what could be described as a perfect game, but Jon got my vote.

He seems to be the steadying influence on this team, which probably isn't a good sign, since I believe that role is better suited to the person running the PG slot.

And yes, I realize we can't have it both ways, so I will live with Nolan running the point and hope that he continues to develop in his new role, because I honestly believe he gives us the best shot at being a GREAT team, rather than just a very good one.

Kudos to Brian, David, and G for their solid games as well.

DukeDevilDeb
12-08-2008, 12:39 PM

Actually, I voted for Scheyer, but you may be right... David had a good game!

dukemomLA
12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Voted for Jon S. Thought he had the best overall game. But I agree with other posts that the 'winner' was Sims. A great night.

I (like everyone) am frustrated when shots aren't falling -- both 3s and 2s, but sometimes that's the way it goes. I thought Duke needed to attack, and attack some more, which this night they didn't do.

Then again.... I don't consider this a 'bad' loss. I think there are lessons to be learned -- and mid-December is a great time for that.