PDA

View Full Version : A question to you all

dukemomLA
12-06-2008, 02:45 AM
Last week I received a Private Message from a long time poster who informed me that my posts were inappropriate for DBR, since this was a website for true fans who knew what they were talking about. It is someone who's posts I have always admired and have appreciated the input.

He/she (and I'm sure it is a HE) stated that I was naive and uninformed and that my posts were the laughing stock of DBR.

I, of course, was hurt and considered no longer posting on DBR. Then after thinking about it, I decided....screw him. I chose to not name that poster -- as I have more dignity than him.

I'd like to hear if others have received such PMs, or more importantly if you all find my posts so disgusting. If so, I will lurk and not post.

In general I have received positive responses to my posts, but if that is my view through a glass darkly, I'd like to know.

Poster -- bah humbug to you. I will continue to post whatever I like. Go .... yourself. Love to hear from others who have received such scathing comments. Personally I feel that it's not what DBR is all about.

CameronCrazy'11
12-06-2008, 03:51 AM
I, for one, love your posts and that member sounds like an ***hole (and I don't mean tarhole). If he doesn't like your posts, he's free to either ignore them or read a different site. Please don't stop posting on account of him.

Bob Green
12-06-2008, 04:18 AM
Post until your heart is content.

2535Miles
12-06-2008, 04:48 AM
Last week I received a Private Message from a long time poster who informed me that my posts were inappropriate for DBR, since this was a website for true fans who knew what they were talking about. It is someone who's posts I have always admired and have appreciated the input.

He/she (and I'm sure it is a HE) stated that I was naive and uninformed and that my posts were the laughing stock of DBR.

I, of course, was hurt and considered no longer posting on DBR. Then after thinking about it, I decided....screw him. I chose to not name that poster -- as I have more dignity than him.

I'd like to hear if others have received such PMs, or more importantly if you all find my posts so disgusting. If so, I will lurk and not post.

In general I have received positive responses to my posts, but if that is my view through a glass darkly, I'd like to know.

Poster -- bah humbug to you. I will continue to post whatever I like. Go .... yourself. Love to hear from others who have received such scathing comments. Personally I feel that it's not what DBR is all about.
No way. Unreal. You rule dukemomLA, post until your fingers fall off.

nyr484
12-06-2008, 05:18 AM
That's pretty messed up. What kind of loser would go out of their way to send someone a PM that they should stop posting? Whoever you are... seriously, just get over yourself. FWIW, I like your posts.

heyman25
12-06-2008, 05:21 AM
dukemomla. Your posts are as good as anyone else. I like you because you are on the West Coast like me. Your insight is refreshing and I for one think you have very good takes on Duke basketball.

sagegrouse
12-06-2008, 06:31 AM
Last week I received a Private Message from a long time poster who informed me that my posts were inappropriate for DBR, since this was a website for true fans who knew what they were talking about.

Except for the unbelievable boorishness, this is actually quite droll. The more accurate statement would be: "this is a website for true fans who think they know what they are talking about but, in truth, are totally clueless." Hey, it's the internet, for goodness sakes!

The next uncalled for comment would probably be to insist on a fact-checker prior to any message getting posted. [This, of course, would be irrelevant, as long as our man Jim Sumner is around.]

You go, Mama! Post to your heart's content.

sagegrouse

camion
12-06-2008, 07:01 AM
That poster is not the boss of you or any of the rest of us. The primary qualification for posting here, IMO, is that you are interested in and, hopefully, love Duke basketball.

mgtr
12-06-2008, 07:09 AM
You know as much or more than many posters. The job of posters is to post. The only refs in this game are the moderators, and it is their job to keep posters from poking a hole in the boat.
So treat the whole thing as a December Fool's joke, it doesn't count for anything.

Eckster
12-06-2008, 07:16 AM
I've mostly been lurking here over the years but this brings up the issue that is undeniable, I think. There is an element of elitism on the board at times that I think is unfortunate. I've seen some posters with fairly innocent questions or statements who have been dismissed as ignorant or chastised for not knowing that was covered in another thread last month or whatever. I know it must be frustrating to spend a lot of time posting on this board and have to deal with people who are more casual about it and maybe less informed (but who are no way less passionate about Duke Basketball!), but I think there's room for everyone here.

captmojo
12-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I have a true appreciation for your passion. Write it and I'll read anytime.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2008, 09:05 AM
The more accurate statement would be: "this is a website for true fans who think they know what they are talking about but, in truth, are totally clueless." Hey, it's the internet, for goodness sakes!

HA! That's great, well stated. Keep on posting DukeMom, you have as much right to be here and express your OPININIONS as anyone else. I would suggest forwarding that PM to the mods, I find it really disturbing that someone would go out of their way to make one of us here in our community feel like this poster has tried to make you feel. Unfortunate and uncalled for.

captmojo
12-06-2008, 09:06 AM
HA! That's great, well stated. Keep on posting DukeMom, you have as much right to be here and express your OPININIONS as anyone else. I would suggest forwarding that PM to the mods, I find it really disturbing that someone would go out of their way to make one of us here in our community feel like this poster has tried to make you feel. Unfortunate and uncalled for.

Second.

Faison1
12-06-2008, 09:07 AM

That line is hilarious......thanks for the laugh. In these times of incredible stress, I have really relished any opportunity to laugh hard, so thank you very much.

In all honesty, I have found myself questioning what I post, since I am aware of the elitist tendencies of this board at times. I'm careful about what I write, but glad you brought up the subject. There is no way you should let someone else intimidate you into not posting. Good for you!

Heelkiller1
12-06-2008, 09:33 AM
I've mostly been lurking here over the years but this brings up the issue that is undeniable, I think. There is an element of elitism on the board at times that I think is unfortunate. I've seen some posters with fairly innocent questions or statements who have been dismissed as ignorant or chastised for not knowing that was covered in another thread last month or whatever. I know it must be frustrating to spend a lot of time posting on this board and have to deal with people who are more casual about it and maybe less informed (but who are no way less passionate about Duke Basketball!), but I think there's room for everyone here.

I agree 100% , this is a place to have some fun and show our love for Duke Basketball (and talk junk about the tarholes of course). Who cares if you don't spell someting right or you write about something that was already posted . Get a grip people this is a place for us to talk about something we ALL love. If someone wants to play english teacher or pick apart everything we post about then they can do it on another site. I for one say post untill your heart is content.

allenmurray
12-06-2008, 09:45 AM
dukemomLA rules. In the current parlance of 14 - 16 year olds everywhere, she is a beast.

If that poster sent you that message under his posting name, rather than under his real name, he is a spineless coward. Otherwise he is not a coward, just a moron. I suggest you forward that PM to a moderator.

Also, as I recall, a while back Earljam had a lengthy tread on the OT board regarding how to go about killing one of his neighbors. ;)

DukeUsul
12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
dukemomLA..... glad to have you as a part of this community. Report the poster who PM'd you to the mods.

miramar
12-06-2008, 09:54 AM
You should tell the DBR Nazi that he has no place on Planet Duke.

DukePA
12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
dukemomLA..... glad to have you as a part of this community. Report the poster who PM'd you to the mods.

I second what everyone has written thus far Mom. If I remember correctly, the DBR Atlanta Mafia has offered their services in the past. Perhaps it's time to call 'em in! I'll bet they would even fully reinstate the Bluegrass defector, Lavabe :D

wallyman
12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
My guess is this is one vote short of unanimous. Of course, keep posting.
DBR's strength is its usually classy, generous tone; the combination of people who allegedly actually sort of know something and the rest of us who are just fans; the range of voices and obsessions (Hello, Greybeard) and the way Duke Basketball transcends mere fandom to become something akin to a
(let's hope) benign cult. Insiders or outsiders, Singler Era, Dawkins Era or Mullins Era, we're all on the same blue bus. Your voice is as welcome as anyone's.

gw67
12-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Color me very surprised that any poster on this board would email you and suggest that you stop posting. Over the years, I have gotten PMs from other posters and they have always been very cordial. I suggest that you disregard the PM and continue to post whenever the spirit moves you.

gw67

PDDuke85
12-06-2008, 10:29 AM
dukemomLA,

If you quit posting because some blow hard, locked in his basement 24/7, with his computer as his only source of social intercourse, doesn't appreciate you, then I'm taking my keyboard to wearetarholes.com. Post away DMLA!

summerwind03
12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm sorry you had that experience -- totally inappropriate! Thank you for posting so we have the opportunity to support you. Don't go away!

diesel
12-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Hang in there, dukemomla. But hold the suggestions from some on this thread that you call in the DBR Atl Mafia or consult Earljam on getting rid of neighbors. Since that LAX player made the unfortunate reference to inviting strippers over and then killing and skinning them I think it is altogether wiser for Dukies to eschew literary allusions which can be misunderstood.
Just ignore the b*stard.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Keep posting, DukemomLA, keep posting.

BlueintheFace
12-06-2008, 11:11 AM
DukemomLA, I would be very disappointed if you stopped posting. Your posts always seem to be a welcome change of pace from the hundreds of posters like myself who let their cynicism or obsessions regarding the team get the best of them from time to time.

Plus, you don't have to be the most well-informed person in the world to post on a duke fan site

jimsumner
12-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Keep on truckin' mama,

And yes, I remember the '60s.:)

Edouble
12-06-2008, 11:30 AM

I have not received any PMs like that. You must have either really struck a nerve with this person, or this person is just too intense.

In the past, some of your posts have definitely rubbed me the wrong way too, but I would never presume to tell you not to post here anymore. Everyone has an equal right to post until he/she is kicked off.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-06-2008, 11:33 AM
The PM you described is the work of a bully. There should be zero tolerance for bullying on this board. I agree with those who suggest reporting this poster to the moderators. Last week you got the bully PM. Next week it could be someone else who receives such a PM.

Post on!

GO DUKE!!! Beat the U of M!

TheRose77
12-06-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm very sorry that happened to you Dukemom. Totally inappropriate and mean spirited. Rat him out to the mods. Karma's a b*tch. Here's hoping for coal in his stocking.

jv001
12-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Don't let one poster ruin your fun. Keep posting DukemomLA. I'm glad that we have posters from all over the good ole USA(and Japan). Go Duke and Go Dukemom!

Jumbo
12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Folks,
Thank you all for supporting dukemomla. Obviously, you're all right -- there is no place here for those kinds of PMs.

That said, there is also no place for some of the comments in this thread. It is not an excuse to lash out. The best way this could have been handled would have been for DukeMomLA to notify the mods, so we could deal wtih whomever sent the message last week.
So, I'm going to close this thread, we'll go to work handling this issue and everyone can focus back on Duke hoops.