PDA

View Full Version : Duke will be Tested and Experienced...

BlueintheFace
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
One thing seems pretty definite about this season... we will be tested and very experienced when March rolls around. What once looked like a decently difficult OOC schedule is now looking VERY difficult.

Tested

We have already met the "challenge" with Purdue

Xavier is undefeated still at 7-0 and has already taken down Memphis

Georgetown is looking like a great defensive team that might be near the top of the much talked about Big East

Davidson, of course, has this kid who I hear is a pretty good shooter.

Toss in a few ACC threats...

Wake is looking like an offensive FORCE (admittedly against weak competition)

UNC is okay..

plus the rest of the ACC seems to have taken a step forward... with a few exceptions

It is worth noting that ALL these teams are in the Top-25 right now (if you put much stock in that sort of thing)

Experienced

We should roll into march with a few bumps and bruises, but with a pretty darn good idea of who we are. I feel as though we are a bit ahead of schedule in this task.

The last few years injuries and youth have kept us from forming that strong "team identity" come March. Obviously it takes awhile to really find that identity, but having so many upperclassmen on the team definitely helps the process. I feel that we are so much further along on that journey at this point in the year than we have been in the last two years. Roles on the floor and off the floor seem to be forming surprisingly quickly and our defense sometimes looks like a well-oiled machine... and it's december. I'm not saying we are on our way to a national championship, just that the team really seems to be benefitting from experience and balance in a way that we haven't seen in quite a while...

Am I the only one who feels that we might be substantially ahead of schedule compared to the last few years... that our age and experience is very apparent so far?

JDev
12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Duke plays a great schedule this year that will see them face many good teams and many varying styles, which can only help come March. In addition to those marquee games you mentioned, they get the luxury of every team's A game, especially in all road ACC games. Up and down teams like VT will give Duke a battle in Blacksburg on Jan 4th, for example.

jv001
12-06-2008, 12:06 PM
And this year we have several "go to guys" with Kyle being probably the most consistent. Jon is not far behind as is Nolan. By March who knows how good Gerald may be. The key is staying healthy and we are due an injury free year. Maybe we will be blessed and that will happen. I really like this team. Go Duke!

RainingThrees
12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
And this year we have several "go to guys" with Kyle being probably the most consistent. Jon is not far behind as is Nolan. By March who knows how good Gerald may be. The key is staying healthy and we are due an injury free year. Maybe we will be blessed and that will happen. I really like this team. Go Duke!

I would say Nolan has the advantage in speed/hops but Jon is the better overall player right now. Both are excellent, athough Nolan does seem to have the edge in the humor department so the scale might tip back in his favor.

CameronBlue
12-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Year Team Avg
08-09 13.8

NC teams
91-92 18.1
00-01 18.0
90-91 17.7

NC runner-up teams
89-90 17.4
85-86 16.8
98-99 16.2
93-94 15.6

FF teams
88-89 19.0
87-88 17.4
03-04 14.5

It's hard to quantify what having a "go to guy" or having a team that's battle tested really means, not to diminish the importance of either of those more nebulous traits. I prefer assists. What's most striking about the numbers above are the 87-88 and 88-89 teams which many analysts consider teams that over-achieved. It's also interesting that the 99 team was a team loaded with "go to guys" in Brand, Langdon, Avery, C-Well and to a lesser extent, the Sophomore Battier, yet its assist average was lower than 7 of the 10 Duke FF teams under K. I don't think it's a gross generalization to state that teams which distribute the ball better, fare better.

Clearly this year's team has yet to develop into a well-functioning super organism that distributes the ball instinctively. Duke won't go to the Final Four with Jon Scheyer hitting fade away jumpers over double-teams as he did a couple of times against Purdue (which were things of beauty by the way.) More assists from the point guard position, better interior passing, better post-up position on the part of Zoub and Lance will be required for Duke to advance deep into the NCAAs.

smackedownz
12-07-2008, 12:26 PM
i think this guy nailed it right on the head. Unless this team dramatically changes, i dont see us making it past the sweet 16, if that.