PDA

View Full Version : Let's play "What was coach thinking".

Oh Canada
03-01-2007, 08:46 AM
I'm getting a little tired of all the negative posts about a team that to me, is surpassing most of my preseason expectations. Yes the losses may be hard to swallow but most of them are close winnable games that experienced players would be able to handle.

So here's my game. Many are Marty P. fans and I'd have to admit that though I love his hustle and enthusiasm I see him as a liability on the floor.

In the St. John's game, he made a spin-a-round behind the back pass that had Coach K's blood pressure skyrocket and you could see him really give it to him.

Did he learn his lesson?? In last night's game, Marty drove to the basket, got caught in traffic and tried another spin pass to the wing. Ball went out of bounds, play looked un-Duke like and luckily for him, a phantom foul appeared to be called. I couldh't believe he tried the same similar play again.

So fill in the rest of the sentence. As Marty went back to the bench. What did coach say???? "Marty if you do that one more time..........". I don't have an answer but like to hear some of your thoughts.

CMS2478
03-01-2007, 09:50 AM
CMS will stop defending you on the DBR message boards???

I don't know what Coach said to him, but I have been a Marty supporter and I think his defense has improved (he did move his feet well and take that charge) I just think when he gets in the game he knows he is only in for a couple of minutes and tries to force things. He just wants to score and impress the coaches. IMO

elvis14
03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
I DVR'd the game and watched that play several times. Marty got hit in face, hard. That's why he turned that ball over and that's why Coach K was not all up in his grill. As for the refs, they didn't call a foul, the ball went out off of Duke. When they realized how badly they had screwed up by not calling the foul on the right hook Marty took, they called the ball out off of a phantom UMd player. Instant make up call...both coaches were not happy. Marty is not a liability. His defense has improved and I'm not saying he should start or play a 30 minutes a game but I'd like to see him get some more minutes at the very least to keep other guys fresh.

Oh Canada
03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
I agree with you on the defensive standpoint. He has looked much improved. Just seems that he does try to hard. Maybe it is lack of minutes. I just feel much more comfortable with GH or JS working on the wing. I'll give him credit though, he always provides some sort of a spark. I just wanted to have some fun with the K comments, nothing too serious. Seems like the message board gets too serious at times so I thought I'd add some Canadian humour, eh?

The Gordog
03-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I saw that too - he got hit hard and right in the face. I thought it was very cool that he did not whine about it or get nailed with some stupid revenge foul.

Classof06
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I think Marty has improved his defense as well. I think he should be getting more minutes, because offensively, he can penetrate as well as anyone on our team, creating opportunities for others. For a team that is still susceptible to stagnant offense, that's a plus.