PDA

View Full Version : Henderson Draft Stock

huied
12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Article on ESPN about 2009 draft. Says that Henderson's draft stock is falling. Good news for us in the sense that he'll probably stick around, but I wish he was dominating in the way that would keep him in the lottery picture.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-081204

Oriole Way
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
I would much rather him stick around regardless of his draft stock, obviously, but I wouldn't be too concerned about his lackluster start. People don't seem to realize that he had major surgery at the end of last season and missed pretty much the entire summer. He might still be getting into the swing of things since his conditioning might not be all the way back. Hopefully everything is alright with his wrist.

If Gerald has a great tournament, his stock will skyrocket. That will be the most important time in terms of increasing his draft position, for either this year or next year. If he really turns it on, it will be a double-edged sword, since most likely Duke will advance pretty far in the tournament as a result, but he will be more likely to leave.

I guess we'll see.

CDu
12-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Article on ESPN about 2009 draft. Says that Henderson's draft stock is falling. Good news for us in the sense that he'll probably stick around, but I wish he was dominating in the way that would keep him in the lottery picture.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-081204

I think his draft stock will be directly correlated with our likelihood of tournament success this year. If he struggles, we're likely to struggle against tougher teams as the season progresses.

Granted, one potential silver lining would be that if he struggles, we can still have a very good year, and it increases the probability that he comes back next year (when we could be among the heavy favorites).

Of course, I'd prefer him to have a great tournament AND decide to stick around. Let's hope for that.

Diddy
12-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree that his stock has gone down. But all it takes is a good run in March to completely shift that perception. Nobody had ever heard of Antonio McDeyss until he went nutso for a few weekends in the tourney, and he was a top draft pick.

If Hendo goes crazy in March, he will stil go high. He has NBA size and elite NBA athleticism. If he can hit a few shots in the tourney, everyone will forget these early season struggles.

But we would be awsome if he returned.

Classof06
12-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Call me naive, but I'm someone who has always been confident that both Singler and Henderson will stay at Duke for 4 years. I could be wrong but I still feel that way today.

Gerald has been inconsistent on offense thus far but he has progressed in the sense that even when he doesn't score, he's helping out in other ways. For example, even though he only scored 2 points against Purdue (on a beautiful move, by the way), he had 9 rebounds and 5 assists.

Henderson's lack of consistent scoring is odd and mildly annoying, because he's so talented it's unbelievable.

But it's still so early in the season that it's not a major concern....yet.

SilkyJ
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Call me naive, but I'm someone who has always been confident that both Singler and Henderson will stay at Duke for 4 years. I could be wrong but I still feel that way today.

I've felt that way for a while as well and still do a little, but the rumblings, (both from the media who have some knowledge I suppose, and from those who are considered knowledgeable or "in" with the program on this board) have me thinking otherwise. I think there's still a good chance they both come back next year tho.

Gerald has been inconsistent on offense thus far but he has progressed in the sense that even when he doesn't score, he's helping out in other ways. For example, even though he only scored 2 points against Purdue (on a beautiful move, by the way), he had 9 rebounds and 5 assists.

Excellent point and pretty much sums up my feelings. Moreover, I wouldn't say he's even really struggling but just more inconsistent as you say in terms of points in the box score. He isn't forcing things at all and he's not taking bad shots or missing a lot of open ones. He could be shooting it better but he's not abysmal by any means. I'm glad to see that he isn't frustrated by his start and is just letting things come to him. As I've mentioned before, though, a little more assertiveness might be nice. People are going to start to double Kyle soon.

RepoMan
12-05-2008, 03:16 PM
A couple thoughts.

First, I don't understand Ford's suggestion that some scouts point to Duke's "system" as a reason for Henderson's perceived subpar play. What system is that? Historically, how has it disadvantaged the production of Duke players? Did that "system" hurt the prouction of Ferry, Hill, Redick, to name a diverse few players? This seems nonsensical to me, but maybe I just don't understand it.

Second, I find the whole discussion a bit troubling. I suppose the thought was that because Gerald can make such breathtakingly athletic plays, he would become a scoring leader in the ACC this season. So far, that hasn't been the case, hence the "falling stock." Left out of the equation is any consideration for the notion of team play. Duke is undefeated. It is multidimensial with multiple scoring options. It's not like we are Davidson and Gerald is expected to score every possession. Sure, I expect that Gerald himself thinks his shooting has been a bit subpar so far, but its early, and that isn't the only skill that matters. He has been rebounding, blocking shots, and playing pretty solid defense. He has been taking available opportunities. He seems to have extended his range somewhat. It is just unrealistic, on this team, to expect him to be putting up 25 points a night. We are too good with too many good players. Opportunities are limited. (Is that what they mean by the Duke "system" this season?) Ultimately, I hope the kid can enjoy being a key part of an exceptional basketball team and isn't brought down by his "failure" to live up to the expectations of others. He should be having fun right now (and I get the sense, watching him, that he (and the reast of the team) is having such fun).

Kilby
12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I have been biting my typing fingers reading all of the posts that have been down on Henderson. Henderson is still the man with the most NBA potential on Duke's and team the person who I want trying to create a shot when everyone is guarded in the last seconds. He IS doing the things that Duke needs him to do right now, and he provides a toughness that nobody else can (even though Paulus tries). Yes he was 1 for 8 in the Purdue game but there were many people that I spoke with that crowed about his performance especially his defense. I don't think that you will ever see him going 1 for 12 like some other performers in the past because he realizes that, when you are off, there are other things that you do. He is not the selfish player that's going to get his points no matter what. I am confident that when he is needed he will be there.

I have only been wrong two times on people that I thought were going to be contributing NBA players that never made it, Othell Wilson and Randolph Childress. I never could believe that John Crotty made it and Othell didn't.

TwoDukeTattoos
12-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm not giving up on Henderson yet. He seems to start slowly every season, but comes around. The Duke offense as a whole is still working out kinks, so I'm not quite sure he's found his niche yet in the offensive scheme. If he simply wanted to ballhog for the sake of scoring, he could average 20 per easily.

FireOgilvie
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
A couple thoughts.

First, I don't understand Ford's suggestion that some scouts point to Duke's "system" as a reason for Henderson's perceived subpar play...

...Left out of the equation is any consideration for the notion of team play. Duke is undefeated. It is multidimensial with multiple scoring options. It's not like we are Davidson and Gerald is expected to score every possession. Sure, I expect that Gerald himself thinks his shooting has been a bit subpar so far, but its early, and that isn't the only skill that matters. He has been rebounding, blocking shots, and playing pretty solid defense. He has been taking available opportunities. He seems to have extended his range somewhat. It is just unrealistic, on this team, to expect him to be putting up 25 points a night. We are too good with too many good players. Opportunities are limited. (Is that what they mean by the Duke "system" this season?)...

I think you basically answer your own question. I get the sense that when people refer to Duke's "system" they are talking about the fact that Duke is a balanced and talented team that does not promote a "superstar" mentality. Duke rarely has one guy scoring over 20 points; instead, 3 or so people score over 10. I think Henderson's lack of scoring comes from the fact that he isn't forcing his shots at all. He is taking the points as they come to him. I know that if Singler or Henderson wanted to they could take 20 shots a game (good or bad) and average 25+ points a night while shooting 35-40% a game. But would that make Duke a better team? No. Duke can spread the ball around and average 45-50% a game.

slower
12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
...and he provides a toughness that nobody else can (even though Paulus tries).

Dude, seriously.

KYLE FREAKING SINGLER!!

Not even close.

Jarhead
12-05-2008, 04:14 PM

What does Ford know about things. It was Duke's system that a whole bunch of NBA folks bought into, and won us the gold medal. That aside, why are we discussing the draft status of any of our players right now? We still have the whole season to play before the scouts, who mostly guess can make even a partially accurate guess.

RepoMan
12-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I think you basically answer your own question. I get the sense that when people refer to Duke's "system" they are talking about the fact that Duke is a balanced and talented team that does not promote a "superstar" mentality. Duke rarely has one guy scoring over 20 points; instead, 3 or so people score over 10.

I guess I think that one of K's strengths is that he molds his team to the talent he has. So, in some years, you do see Duke with a dominant scorer. Think Redick. Others years, you may not. So, I recoil a bit from the notion that Duke has a "system," per se, as well as the notion that such a system somehow disadvantages the draft stock of its players. I mean, historical data conclusively refutes any notion that the Duke system, whatever that is, hurts Duke player draft stock.

Kilby
12-05-2008, 04:16 PM
Kyle is tough and really talented but his game and demeanor is smooth, not explosive like don't put that sh*t up because I'm sending it into nose bleed seats.

slower
12-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Kyle is tough and really talented but his game and demeanor is smooth, not explosive like don't put that sh*t up because I'm sending it into nose bleed seats.

I'll give you explosiveness for Gerald. But your original post said "toughness". There's NOBODY tougher than Singler on this team.

yancem
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
A couple thoughts.

First, I don't understand Ford's suggestion that some scouts point to Duke's "system" as a reason for Henderson's perceived subpar play. What system is that? Historically, how has it disadvantaged the production of Duke players? Did that "system" hurt the prouction of Ferry, Hill, Redick, to name a diverse few players? This seems nonsensical to me, but maybe I just don't understand it.

Duke does run a system that usually places team goals/priorities above individual goals/statistics. Some years there is one player that is far and away better than the rest of the team and during those seasons, K has adapted the system to highlight that talent. Dawkins, Ferry Jason Williams and Redick are probably the most prominent examples. This year's squad has 3-5 players capable of big time offensive games on any given night which limits any one player from dominating consistently. I think that K is trying to exploit the given mismatches that a given opponent presents. My guess is that most nights that's going to favor Singler.

It is just unrealistic, on this team, to expect him to be putting up 25 points a night. We are too good with too many good players. Opportunities are limited. (Is that what they mean by the Duke "system" this season?)

I'm not sure I agree with this notion. UNC is just as loaded and they have 5 players averaging more points than Henderson. If he becomes more assertive, his numbers will go up. He reminds me a lot of Grant Hill in terms of personality and temperament. Hill often deferred to Laettner and Hurley
his first couple of years. Even though he was probably the most physically gifted and talented player from the his first day on campus he concentrated on team first, personal stats second. Back then there were a lot of similar conversations about Hill and why he didn't dominate more. Just like Hill, when we need him Henderson will raise up his game and carry the team. That is what he has done in the past. I think that when the acc season starts and the games get bigger, so will Henderson.

Another observation is that Singler and Scheyer are controlling the ball a lot (partly because they are simply really good and partly because they are our best play makers) which has somewhat limited Henderson's touches. This is maybe an area where not having the Paulus at 100% and playing fewer minutes is impacting the offense. Smith is more of a penetrator and less of a distributor. Instead of having the ball in the hands of a classic pass first pg, the ball is primarily in the hands of good scorers that also pass well. I would like to see the team try to get him the ball more either at the top of the key where he can create havoc driving to the rim or posting him up so that he can take advantage of less physically gifted defenders.

Kedsy
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Second, I find the whole discussion a bit troubling. I suppose the thought was that because Gerald can make such breathtakingly athletic plays, he would become a scoring leader in the ACC this season. So far, that hasn't been the case, hence the "falling stock." Left out of the equation is any consideration for the notion of team play. Duke is undefeated. It is multidimensial with multiple scoring options.

I'm not sure people are forgetting about team play. Nor do I think the problem is his shooting touch. I think the perceived knock against Henderson is he doesn't assert himself very often and sometimes seems to disappear for long stretches at a time.

He ranks fourth on the team in shots taken and fifth in free throws taken. I'm sorry, but if you want to be a lottery pick, it doesn't matter how good your team is you need to establish yourself better than that. Or, put another way, lottery picks should be more than their team's fourth offensive option.

I really like G and think he's very talented, and maybe by the end of the year he'll have raised his game sufficiently. But right now he shouldn't be in the 2009 lottery discussion.

Kedsy
12-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure I agree with this notion. UNC is just as loaded and they have 5 players averaging more points than Henderson. If he becomes more assertive, his numbers will go up.

I agree. This is sort of what I was trying to say, but you said it better.

1Devil
12-05-2008, 04:38 PM
...Another observation is that Singler and Scheyer are controlling the ball a lot (partly because they are simply really good and partly because they are our best play makers) which has somewhat limited Henderson's touches...

I agree. With Scheyer starting now, he and Henderson are on the floor more often together. Scheyer gets more touches and Henderson gets fewer shots. I also have a theory that Zoubek's increased play is a factor as well because he's clogging up the lane, limiting drive opportunities. But I can't say I've validated that via study during games.

I'm fairly sure his wrist is a factor too.

I have no doubt at all that he will come around soon.

miramar
12-05-2008, 04:46 PM
What is surprising is the comment that "most [scouts] are beginning to write him off." Gerald has obviously not had the start he'd like, but that's pretty harsh.

I really think that Gerald would benefit from four years at Duke, and that he would continue to improve the entire time. And in the end those scouts will write him back in.

BlueintheFace
12-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Re: Toughness

Little Known Fact- Kyle Singler eats nails for breakfast and drinks it down with oil from the ground.

heyman25
12-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Henderson is not deferring. He doesn't show the basketball savvy in his junior year. He can dunk,but he rarely consistently makes floaters or hit the 8 to 12 ft jumpshot or make the wide open 3. He should be scoring at least 18 to 20 per game.Gerald has an awful long way to go to be ready for the NBA. He has the ball easily taken away in many of his drives. I see a great athlete but not a great basketball player.

mgtr
12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
I never even considered that Hendo or Singler would stay less than four years until people started writing about it on this forum. I still think both will stay. I believe that Hendo will come around and be the fantastic player that we know he can be. I expect they will both end up in the NBA (along with Scheyer, who will bring a whole array of talents). But I expected JJ to do much better than he has so far, so what do I know.
Right now, my major concern is the Duke team this year, and the game tomorrow. One step at a time.

-jk
12-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Henderson is not deferring. He doesn't show the basketball savvy in his junior year. He can dunk,but he rarely consistently makes floaters or hit the 8 to 12 ft jumpshot or make the wide open 3. He should be scoring at least 18 to 20 per game.Gerald has an awful long way to go to be ready for the NBA. He has the ball easily taken away in many of his drives. I see a great athlete but not a great basketball player.

It seemed to me that he lost his mid-range pop-up with the wrist injury at unc, and I really haven't seen it since. I regard that as a turning point for last season. I hope he gets it back; it made a difference.

-jk

miramar
12-05-2008, 08:20 PM
It seemed to me that he lost his mid-range pop-up with the wrist injury at unc, and I really haven't seen it since. I regard that as a turning point for last season. I hope he gets it back; it made a difference.

-jk

Here are the numbers, although we are obviously dealing with only 8 games:

2 pointers: 20/43 (46.5%)
3 pointers: 7/21 (33.3%)
Total: 27/64 (42.2%)

He's scoring 10.2 PPG, fourth on the team, although in only 23.5 MPG.

Obviously 10.2 PPG and 42.2% aren't first-round numbers, but there's no question that the mid-range jumper would make a huge difference here.

Lord Ash
12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
So, up until the hand injury Gerald Henderson used the mid range jumpshot to great effect. He could penetrate on a quick first step, and then use his excellent elevation to get above the D and get a good jumpshot. After the hand injury, however, he seemed to go more to shooting 3s and penetrating all the way to the hoop. I thought his midrange jumper was a REALLY deadly weapon, and am a bit disappointed that he doesn't seem to go to it as often. Has anyone else noticed this?

jipops
12-08-2008, 11:41 AM
I have a hard time believing Gerald's wrist is 100% healthy. There have been many instances where he's passed up an open look (lack of confidence with the wrist?) and his handle has been dreadful. I'm no scout but blaming Duke's system is indeed crap (I'm inclined to think that's just a Chad Ford blurb). A system built around running motion and attacking the basket hardly deters a guard like Gerald from producing. Obviously something else is going on.

However, I'm much less concerned about G getting back in the groove than Paulus. Greg has barely been a shadow of himself as a shooter. Ofcourse the altered role on the team could be indeed affecting him but it's quite obvious he's not all there physically. Without Greg's shooting, we're missing an extremely valuable weapon. That's a separate topic of concern.

ncexnyc
12-08-2008, 12:16 PM
I'll give you explosiveness for Gerald. But your original post said "toughness". There's NOBODY tougher than Singler on this team.
I'm sure somebody at Chapel Hill, feels otherwise.:D

SupaDave
12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree that his stock has gone down. But all it takes is a good run in March to completely shift that perception. Nobody had ever heard of Antonio McDeyss until he went nutso for a few weekends in the tourney, and he was a top draft pick.

Wow. What a statement. THIS is the guy you're talking about...

Averaged 12.8 points, on .533 shooting, and 9.3 rebounds in two seasons at Alabama…Averaged 11.4 points and 8.1 rebounds as a freshman in 1993-94 and earned All-SEC Third Team honors...Led Crimson Tide in scoring (13.9) and rebounding (10.2) in sophomore season of 1994-95...Named All-SEC Second Team, and helped lead Tide to 23-10 mark and the second round of NCAA Tournament...Left school in 10th place on Tide’s all-time list in blocks (105)...His Alabama squad produced three other NBA players: Jason Caffey, Roy Rogers and Eric Washington.

He was most definitely heard of...

Left school in 10th place in blocks - before his junior season. He was a beast and I'm sure everyone in the SEC knew it.

Bay Area Duke Fan
12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
What happened to the G that refused to allow Duke to lose to Belmont in the tournament last year?

I think that most Duke fans expected G to continue to perform like that this season. What we've seen so far is a very athletic role player who can't sustain an outstanding performance level.

Let's hope that Coach K can find the key to unlock the G.

Diddy
12-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Wow. What a statement. THIS is the guy you're talking about...

Averaged 12.8 points, on .533 shooting, and 9.3 rebounds in two seasons at Alabama…Averaged 11.4 points and 8.1 rebounds as a freshman in 1993-94 and earned All-SEC Third Team honors...Led Crimson Tide in scoring (13.9) and rebounding (10.2) in sophomore season of 1994-95...Named All-SEC Second Team, and helped lead Tide to 23-10 mark and the second round of NCAA Tournament...Left school in 10th place on Tide’s all-time list in blocks (105)...His Alabama squad produced three other NBA players: Jason Caffey, Roy Rogers and Eric Washington.

He was most definitely heard of...

Left school in 10th place in blocks - before his junior season. He was a beast and I'm sure everyone in the SEC knew it.

No one was considering him for an early jump to the NBA prior to his run in the NCAAs. Back then, going bananas at an SEC basketball school was not exactly the stuff of legends in the making.

Setting records at Auburn, a school with no discernable basketball tradition, will probably not make the NBA scouts drool with anticipation.

But a tasty run in the NCAAs, which Dice had, WILL make them sit up.

Hendo can continue his mediocre play from now till march. But if he gets hot during the NCAAs and helps spark a run to the FF, his draft buzz will be sky high.

He already has a solid NBA size for the SG. He has elite level athleticism. The scouts will see what they want to see if he shoots it well. And what they want to see is a starting SG.

UrinalCake
12-09-2008, 02:07 PM
I think there are two separate issues to consider regarding G leaving. One is whether he has performed at an NBA-ready level on a consistent basis. The other is whether NBA scouts believe he has the potential to do so. As we've often seen, the latter may be more relevant.

It's entirely possible that G will have an average season, then decide to declare for fear his stock will drop if he stays another year. I am by no means suggesting that I WANT this to happen, or that I think it would be the best decision for him, or the "right" thing to do. I'm just saying this seems to be how the system works, and it's happened in the past.

davekay1971
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I really think that dunk Henderson had over Alonzo Mourning in the tournament will catapult him in the draft. No way he's heading to Europe after that play! :D

SupaDave
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
No one was considering him for an early jump to the NBA prior to his run in the NCAAs. Back then, going bananas at an SEC basketball school was not exactly the stuff of legends in the making.

Setting records at Auburn, a school with no discernable basketball tradition, will probably not make the NBA scouts drool with anticipation.

Maybe you never heard of this guy...

During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, frequently listed as 6 feet 6 inches, is stated as 6 feet 4 inches in his book I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It. He received numerous awards, including Southeastern Conference (SEC) Player of the Year (1984), two All-SEC (1983–84) selections, two Second Team All-SEC (1982–83) selections and one Third Team All-American selection (1984).[7] In addition, Barkley was later named SEC Player of the Decade for the 1980s by the Birmingham Post-Herald.

Indoor66
12-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe you never heard of this guy...

During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, frequently listed as 6 feet 6 inches, is stated as 6 feet 4 inches in his book I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It. He received numerous awards, including Southeastern Conference (SEC) Player of the Year (1984), two All-SEC (1983–84) selections, two Second Team All-SEC (1982–83) selections and one Third Team All-American selection (1984).[7] In addition, Barkley was later named SEC Player of the Decade for the 1980s by the Birmingham Post-Herald.

And he was lovingly known as "the round mound of rebound."

ArtVandelay
12-09-2008, 05:19 PM

-jk

Totally agree that this is right on. I remember reading something somewhere (accurate, I know) that led me to believe that it took him a lot longer to rehab from his wrist injury than I (or maybe anyone) expected. Can anyone verify this? If so, it may explain some rustiness or lack of conditioning (he seems to be playing far fewer minutes than Jon and Kyle). Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but I don't think I'm making this up.

SilkyJ
12-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Totally agree that this is right on. I remember reading something somewhere (accurate, I know) that led me to believe that it took him a lot longer to rehab from his wrist injury than I (or maybe anyone) expected. Can anyone verify this? If so, it may explain some rustiness or lack of conditioning (he seems to be playing far fewer minutes than Jon and Kyle). Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but I don't think I'm making this up.

I recall something along these lines as well. Specifically, I recall an article right around the start of the season (so late Oct/early Nov) that said Henderson still has to stretch or warm-up his wrist before practices and that it can still be a bit tight at times when he is playing.

Re: Toughness

Little Known Fact- Kyle Singler eats nails for breakfast and drinks it down with oil from the ground.

Lesser known fact: Kyle Singler IS Chuck Norris.

Jeffrey
12-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi,

I think confidence is the main issue. If I'm correct, Gerald is playing for the right man and the issue will be resolved.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

ArtVandelay
12-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I recall something along these lines as well. Specifically, I recall an article right around the start of the season (so late Oct/early Nov) that said Henderson still has to stretch or warm-up his wrist before practices and that it can still be a bit tight at times when he is playing.

Yes, that's what I was referring to. If it's true, hopefully this is something that will improve over the course of the season. If not, maybe it at least will be something that WILL reduce his stock enough such that he comes back next year along with Kyle to lead our SUPERTEAM to a national title.

johnb
12-10-2008, 11:28 AM
G is a terrific player and has great leaping ability, but he does disappear for stretches of games.

The NBA may focus on potential, but I'm more interested in the fact that we are unlikely to beat top 20 teams without several guys continuing to develop their games. On the other hand, the team looks really good playing together, and it's not as if they aren't putting forth a lot of effort.

By the way, I don't know of a Duke player who isn't tough--which of them dodges contact and/or the floor? Toughness and effort aren't Duke problems.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
12-10-2008, 03:13 PM
Honestly to me it just seems like Gerald isn't used on this team in a way where he could score a lot. The ball is always in Smith, Scheyer, Paulus, or Singlers hands. This might be because he really is that bad of a handler at practice, who knows.

Since he isn't a spot up shooter, he needs the ball in his hands more often to improve his scoring. He needs to be a consistent threat to slash his way to the basket every time Duke has the ball.

Josh Howard started handling the ball a lot more his senior year at wake and jumped his scoring up substantially.
Luckily Gerald has 2/3's left of this season to improve.

Kedsy
12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Honestly to me it just seems like Gerald isn't used on this team in a way where he could score a lot. The ball is always in Smith, Scheyer, Paulus, or Singlers hands. This might be because he really is that bad of a handler at practice, who knows.

Since he isn't a spot up shooter, he needs the ball in his hands more often to improve his scoring. He needs to be a consistent threat to slash his way to the basket every time Duke has the ball.

There are ways to score besides spot up shooting and going one on one from the top of the key. Lots and lots of ways. I remember when Antawn Jamison was at Chapel Hill and the guy never had the ball in his hands but he scored a whole lot. I couldn't stand him, of course, but he moved really well without the ball, made sure he was in a position to score when he caught it, and converted a high percentage of opportunities. G's problem is he spends long stretches of the game where he either stands around on offense, or moves unproductively. With the passers on this team, if he moved more, he'd score more.

topps coach
12-11-2008, 11:08 PM
A staple of DH;s game since high school was thepull up jumper. I have not seen it since his injury at unc last year. Does anyone know the status of his wrist since the surgery

lifelongdevil
12-12-2008, 12:37 AM

Josh Howard started handling the ball a lot more his senior year at wake and jumped his scoring up substantially.
Luckily Gerald has 2/3's left of this season to improve.

I agree totally, so many possessions G just jogs down ahead and stands in the corner as we run the high pick and roll with singler and/or scheyer. The only time he gets a shot is a spot up jumper or when he makes some type of one on one move. He is very rarely hit with passes on his cuts.

Kedsy
12-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I agree totally, so many possessions G just jogs down ahead and stands in the corner as we run the high pick and roll with singler and/or scheyer. The only time he gets a shot is a spot up jumper or when he makes some type of one on one move. He is very rarely hit with passes on his cuts.

Personally, I think if he made more cuts he'd be hit with more passes.