PDA

View Full Version : USC v. Oklahoma

SMO
12-04-2008, 08:50 PM
Chris Paul sighting....one of the USC players was ejected for punching Blake Griffin in the cajones. Of course, it was just a flagrant foul, not fighting so no automatic suspension. This type of call continues to baffle me after the Gerald Henderson treatment of yesteryear. This was followed by an intentional foul by another USC guy against Griffin a few minutes later. I'm quickly losing any respect I had left for Tim Floyd's program.

CDu
12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Chris Paul sighting....one of the USC players was ejected for punching Blake Griffin in the cajones. Of course, it was just a flagrant foul, not fighting so no automatic suspension. This type of call continues to baffle me after the Gerald Henderson treatment of yesteryear. This was followed by an intentional foul by another USC guy against Griffin a few minutes later. I'm quickly losing any respect I had left for Tim Floyd's program.

The Henderson play was an overreaction to the severity of Hansbrough's injury. Had Henderson connected with Hansbrough's forehead and not his nose, he probably doesn't get suspended and may not get ejected. But because of the blood and the hostile crowd, the official's overreacted and made, I think, a bad call.

I think what Washington did to Griffin (and what Paul did to Hodge) is worse than what Henderson did, because at least what Henderson did was trying to make a play (preventing a layup for Hansbrough, just with little regard for how it happened). Paul and Washington calculated their moves and what they did was completely unrelated to the game of basketball.

That said, Oklahoma doesn't look all that impressive to me. Griffin is really good, but aside from him they don't bring too much to the table. I think we're better (and substantially so) at every other spot on the floor, and certainly we have a better bench.

Charles Wicker
12-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Are we seeing the emergence of a new star in the coaching ranks? Capel has the coaching pedigree, the exposure, the contacts, and the savvy to become a very successful basketball coach. Currently his team is ranked 6th in the nation, and rising with impressive wins with some quality players. It will be exciting to watch this former Dukie, and Fayetville native make his mark in the coaching profession.

SMO
12-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Are we seeing the emergence of a new star in the coaching ranks? Capel has the coaching pedigree, the exposure, the contacts, and the savvy to become a very successful basketball coach. Currently his team is ranked 6th in the nation, and rising with impressive wins with some quality players. It will be exciting to watch this former Dukie, and Fayetville native make his mark in the coaching profession.

I'd love to see him as K's successor one day. He seems to be doing a helluva job.

ice-9
12-04-2008, 10:10 PM
Wait a few years...remember that Quin Snyder looked pretty good too at one point.

SMO
12-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Wait a few years...remember that Quin Snyder looked pretty good too at one point.

That's a dubious response! How long has Capel been coaching D1?

Carlos
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
You stay classy USC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu1yzliqlVw

BTW - I didn't know it, but Dunleavy's little brother is a backup guard on the Trojans.

Cdog923
12-05-2008, 11:22 AM
The Henderson play was an overreaction to the severity of Hansbrough's injury. Had Henderson connected with Hansbrough's forehead and not his nose, he probably doesn't get suspended and may not get ejected. But because of the blood and the hostile crowd, the official's overreacted and made, I think, a bad call.

I think what Washington did to Griffin (and what Paul did to Hodge) is worse than what Henderson did, because at least what Henderson did was trying to make a play (preventing a layup for Hansbrough, just with little regard for how it happened). Paul and Washington calculated their moves and what they did was completely unrelated to the game of basketball.

That said, Oklahoma doesn't look all that impressive to me. Griffin is really good, but aside from him they don't bring too much to the table. I think we're better (and substantially so) at every other spot on the floor, and certainly we have a better bench.

Willie Warren is going to be a really good player for them, and soon. Purdue basically did their best to lock Griffin down, and Warren picked up the slack for him. I do agree with you that we are the better overall team, but the Griffins and Warren will push OU to be able to match up with almost anyone this year.

In regards to the cheap shot:

"What do you think he said? 'I didn't do it,'" said Trojans coach Tim Floyd, who didn't see the play happen live. "He's a freshman. He doesn't know that we film everything. But he's a good guy."

....you can feel the slime sliding down your keyboard after reading that.

allenmurray
12-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Maybe we will see Tim Floyd do the right th ing and suspend the player for a game himself. Maybe we will also see the Easter Bunny attack a wild grizzly bear and win.

CDu
12-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Willie Warren is going to be a really good player for them, and soon. Purdue basically did their best to lock Griffin down, and Warren picked up the slack for him. I do agree with you that we are the better overall team, but the Griffins and Warren will push OU to be able to match up with almost anyone this year.

In regards to the cheap shot:

"What do you think he said? 'I didn't do it,'" said Trojans coach Tim Floyd, who didn't see the play happen live. "He's a freshman. He doesn't know that we film everything. But he's a good guy."

....you can feel the slime sliding down your keyboard after reading that.

Oklahoma reminds me of Kansas State from last year. They had one dominant presence, but didn't really wow you elsewhere. I think OU is a better version and benefits from the talent level nationwide being down this year. But I see them as the type of team that could flame out against someone who focuses on Griffin inside.

They're a good team, I'm just not sold that they should be in the conversation as an elite team. If Warren fulfills his promise soon and if they start hitting threes consistently, my opinion could change. I just haven't seen it yet.

Classof06
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
1. Did anyone else find it weird that the USC player got ejected but was allowed to remain on the bench for the remainder of the game? Is that allowed?

2. I disagreed with the intentional foul call on USC's Hackett. He was trying to foul Blake Griffin in the open court and not give him a clean look at an "and one". Oh, and Griffin is TWICE HACKETT'S SIZE. Of course it was a hard foul, that was the only way Hackett would've been able to prevent the "and one". Hackett made a good enough play on the ball where I didn't think it should've been called intentional.

3. Griffin got away with a blatant charge down the stretch. People have been telling me that Griffin gets a lot of calls and I didn't believe it. But he got the benefit of the doubt on a few calls in crunchtime last night.

4. I too am not yet convinced that Oklahoma is an elite team. Warren may be good in time and the other Griffin is solid, but this team still looks like a one-man show. They squeaked by UAB (barely) and got taken to OT by Purdue. Then, at home, they again squeaked by a really young USC team. It's still early and maybe they're the type of team that wins close games and doesn't blow anyone out, but they have to show me more before I put them up with the UNCs, UCONNs, PITTs and Dukes of the country.

Carlos
12-05-2008, 04:49 PM
I too was watching thinking, "when are they going to send his punk butt to the locker room?"

I thought it was the correct call. In my eyes he simply wrapped up both arms around Griffin and that's a pretty straight forward call.

It looked like a good no-call to me in the replay. I think the USC player was moving laterally and had not established position.

I'm not too sold on the Sooners at this moment either. They're not very deep and they're pretty young. But they do have a guy who is possibly the most talented player in the country and that can do a whole lot for anyone.

Duke knew it was a bit of a longshot when they went after Griffin, but he'd look pretty darn good in a Duke uniform right now.