PDA

View Full Version : ACC Bowl Lineup

Olympic Fan
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
There should be some breaking news later this afternoon about at least a couple of the ACC bowl tie-ins.

From what I can piece together, things didin't break too well for our brethern from Chapel Hill. I know they were hoping to get the Chicken Sandwich Bowl in Atlanta with their victory over Duke, but it's looking more and more like they get the Muffler Bowl in Charlotte.

Best I can tell at the moment, it looks like:

ACC champ winner (Va Tech/Boston College) vs. Cincinnati in the Orange Bowl.

ACC champ loser vs. Vanderbilt in the Music City Bowl

Georgia Tech vs. SEC (South Carolina?) in the ex-Peach Bowl.

Clemson vs. Big East (Pitt? West Virginia?) in the Gator Bowl

Florida State vs. Big 12 (Oklahoma State? Missouri? Nebraska?) in the Champs Bowl in Orlando

Miami vs. some Pac 10 dog in the Emerald Bowl in San Francisco

UNC vs. a Big East also-ran in Charlotte

That leaves two more ACC bowl tie-ins and three more bowl eligible teams. There's some confusion because the Boise bowl is moving heaven and earth to match Boise State and Ball State -- it would be the only matchup of the bowl season between unbeaten teams. But Boise is obligated to take an ACC team, while Ball State (assuming they beat Buffalo in the title game) is supposed to represent the MAC is the Detroit bowl.

My understanding is that Boise is trying to get the Detroit bowl to give up Ball State and replace them with the ACC team that would go to Detroit. Part of the deal involves trying to get 6-6 Notre Dame to Detroit (although the Liberty is hot after the Irish). If the deal works out, Maryland probably gets the matchup with Notre Dame.

That leaves Wake and NC State vying for the new Washington Bowl against Navy (Maryland has turned the Washington bowl down because they still have exams on Dec. 20). Navy has vetoed Wake Forest, because the Middies and Deacs have already played.

That would leave State, except by NCAA rule, the bowl can't take a 6-6 ACC team if there is a 7-win ACC team available. However, there are several bowls with openings (for example Independence, the furniture bowl in Birmingham) and if the ACC can get Wake in one of those, then State could go to Washington.

None of this is written in stone as of the minute (12:44 p.m. Wednesday), so stay tuned.

Bluedog
12-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the rundown.

Duke's record vs. non bowl eligible teams: 1-0
Duke's record vs. bowl eligible teams: 2-8

Obviously, doesn't show much since sample size is too small for non bowl eligible teams and nearly every team in the ACC is bowl eligible. I just point it out to show the strength of the schedule and how this team played quality opponents week in and week out. I'm excluding James Madison since they are in the Championship Subdivision, who is, by the way, 11-1 with its only loss being its opener against Duke (beat App St among others).

-bdbd
12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/sports/

Wash Post is reporting that MD has accepted the Boise "Brrrr" Bowl. (The innaugural Eagle Bowl in DC at RFK wanted to match them up vs Navy - 2 very local teams that rarely play each other - but MD exams schedule just wouldn't allow it. And they couldn't work out MD to Detroit or elsewhere. So it looks like it's NCSU or Wake to DC in two weeks. I hope the ACC gets all 10 eligible teams into bowls. Am kinda surprised that the team that loses the Championship game has to drop all the way to the Music City Bowl vs. Vandy. Seems like a big step down.

As a Duke fan, am wondering which bowls Dukies would feel are attractive (as locations - yes, other than just the Orange Bowl in Miami for a BCS game....) ;)

I would think in some rough order: Gator/JAX, Chic-Fil-A/ATL, Champs/ORL, Meineke/CLT, and maybe Eagle/DC. I'm looking at nice weather, attracive cities, and then proximity for travel. Any other favorites?

-BDBD :confused:

Cdog923
12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Clemson is playing Nebraska in the Gator Bowl.

notacolour
12-03-2008, 10:12 PM
As a Duke fan, am wondering which bowls Dukies would feel are attractive (as locations - yes, other than just the Orange Bowl in Miami for a BCS game....) ;)

I would think in some rough order: Gator/JAX, Chic-Fil-A/ATL, Champs/ORL, Meineke/CLT, and maybe Eagle/DC. I'm looking at nice weather, attracive cities, and then proximity for travel. Any other favorites?

Really, you would choose Jacksonville over...any city? I've never heard of anyone having a pleasant experience in Jacksonville.