PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Purdue

Jumbo
12-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Purdue?

dbd4ever
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
No question that the Man of the Match was KYLE SINGLER!!!! But hats off to the entire team and especially the DEFENSE!!!!!!! Great Game!!!!
Go DUKE!!!!

mgtr
12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Singler was MOTM, but Scheyer was not too far behind.

BlueintheFace
12-02-2008, 11:21 PM

Yah, if not for a five minute stretch where Scheyer made some pretty bad plays, i would've voted for him

juise
John was great, but I thought Kyle was our strength down the final stretch.

Madrasdukie
Jon was great but there was something about Kyle's rebounding that stood out more than his much needed scoring. So, I went with Kyle.
Loved the team defense in general and Gerald's in particular.

JDev
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Scheyer was great, but voted for Singler. Great offensively, owned the boards, and played great D on Hummel.

weezie
12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
So how does anybody defend against Duke? Blanket Hendo and Singler goes off, leave Jon lonely and Henderson slices inside. Play piggyback on Singler and he still slaps you on the back of the head.
Singler's defensive play is mystical...how does he cover so much ground? It's
baffling.

Jumbo
12-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I went with Scheyer. Singler finished up like a great closer in baseball. But he struggled with his offense in the first half. Scheyer was more like the starting pitcher who got us through seven strong innings. His scoring was wonderful, but his biggest contribution came defensively. He completely shut down Moore, who didn't score until midway through the second half when ... Jon was on the bench. Moore ended up scoring twice against Jon late, but his D was amazing.

Which reminds me, there was actually some decent, accurate analysis tonight! First, the in-game crew finally pointed out what the coaches told them, that Scheyer isn't a pure shooter, but just an all-around playmaker. Then Bilas finally mentioned at halftime that Scheyer guards the other team's best perimeter player every game. (This, of course, frees up Henderson to guard people like Kramer, which enables him to roam as a weakside defender for those emphatic swats.)
Then again, we knew all that already. ;)

jacone21
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Kyle was obviously the man, but I gave MOTM to Paulus for accepting his role, and being ready when we needed him.

elvis14
12-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Kyle was motm by a large margin tonight. What an enjoyable game to watch.

dukelifer
12-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I went with Scheyer. He got Duke ahead early - took the crowd out of it and was solid throughout. Singler had a great stretch by Scheyer broke it open and Duke did not look back.

wallyman
12-02-2008, 11:34 PM
had to be kyle with scheyer close behind, but henderson's blocks and rebounds were huge, too.

camion
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Kyle was THE MAN tonight. I also want to commend the entire team for their defense and rebounding. We had great effort and very good execution for the most part. At times Purdue looked overmatched against us; I wasn't expecting that, but I'm happy with it.

pamtar
12-02-2008, 11:35 PM
I voted for Dave solely because he made the three at the end of the prettiest play of the night.

So there.

merry
12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Kyle & Jon were amazing but I had to put in a vote for McClure. He played 20minutes - one of the critical and poised veterans off the bench - and he even took and made a three pointer!

dukemsu
12-02-2008, 11:41 PM
For rebounding and overall nastiness, with a grin.

Cicero
12-02-2008, 11:43 PM
I thought Kyle played with insane energy and had some great rebounds to go with his points. It was good to see his jumper start to fall in the second half--he could have had even more points if a few of those first half threes had gone down.

Great games by Scheyer (overall) and Henderson (defensively) as well.

My favorite individual play of the game was Henderson's nasty spin move and finger-roll, and my favorite team play was probably Scheyer passing out of a double-team to Singler for a layup.

Carlos
12-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Which reminds me, there was actually some decent, accurate analysis tonight!

Of course, there was also the classic Dickie V moment when Nolan Smith picked up his third and his fourth fouls early in the second half. It could have been significant moment in the game as Smith was playing well but you would never know because Vitale was rambling on about Coaches vs. Cancer, the jump ball rule, the 3-point line, his having one eye, or some other nonsense not just for the third foul but the entire time it took Smith to pick up both fouls.

gep
12-02-2008, 11:47 PM
I voted for Dave. Kyle, Jon, Gerald, Nolan, Greg... you expect them to carry the team. But, I think, that I'll start looking for that "other" player that breaks out and has a good game. I think Dave fit this role this time. It's like JJ's senior year. Obviously, it's either JJ or Shel as the real MOTM. But, they can't play the game by themselves... so for this game, I saw Dave all over the place... and that 3... I was... nooooo... YESSSSSSS!!! haha... but Dave did have a good game, and is proving to be a valuable bench player:) I'm so happy for him that in his senior year, he can finally play injury-free, and contribute in a big way.

Jumbo
12-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Of course, there was also the classic Dickie V moment when Nolan Smith picked up his third and his fourth fouls early in the second half. It could have been significant moment in the game as Smith was playing well but you would never know because Vitale was rambling on about Coaches vs. Cancer, the jump ball rule, the 3-point line, his having one eye, or some other nonsense not just for the third foul but the entire time it took Smith to pick up both fouls.

Well, yeah, there was that ...

OZZIE4DUKE
12-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Kyle, with Jon second and honorable mention to Dave, who is developing a shooter's touch! Who would have guessed that?

bigj4194
12-03-2008, 12:01 AM
So I went with Jon...Kyle was a close second. Kyle played great in the second half but Jon was the glue that held this team together tonight. whenever we needed a boost, Jon was there...when we needed defense jon was there. he never got in foul trouble. he shot consistently, not great, but consistently. I think Jon was good

ACCBBallFan
12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Each did a great job, notonly offensively but also completely taking their man out of the match until it was tinme to start the bus.

Duke bench of Paulus, Lance and McClure all with ACC starter experience is invaluable when holding a lead, not sure this will be as true when Duke has to come from behind.

Rating STARTERS
82 Kyle Singler, F
71 Jon Scheyer, G
67 Robbie Hummel, F
54 TOTALS-Duke
50 Chris Kramer, G
49 JaJuan Johnson, F-C
48 Greg Paulus, G
48 David McClure, F
45 E'Twaun Moore, G
45 Nemanja Calasan, F
44 Nolan Smith, G
44 TOTALS-Purdue
42 Gerald Henderson, G-F
37 Keaton Grant, G
37 Lance Thomas, F
30 Brian Zoubek, C
17 Marcus Green, G
14 Lewis Jackson, G
2 Elliot Williams, G
(1) Miles Plumlee, F

watzone
12-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Singler and Scheyer have that Dynamic Duo thing going this season, but KS is the clear choice in this game for me.

watzone
12-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Jon was great but there was something about Kyle's rebounding that stood out more than his much needed scoring. So, I went with Kyle.
Loved the team defense in general and Gerald's in particular.

Gerald added eight defensive rebounds and led the team in assists with 5! That's what I call contributin until your offense comes around. Two blocks too ...

JBDuke
12-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I noted in chat after the game that the choice this time was really tough for me. I can make an argument for just about everyone that played. This really felt like a TEAM win. Everyone contributed, especially on defense, which was as good as I remember seeing in a while. In the end, I went with Kyle, but only because "everyone" wasn't a choice.

Indoor66
12-03-2008, 08:56 AM

Yeah, I had to quickly hit mute so I could concentrate on the game - at a seemingly critical moment. Vitale is such a jerk.

rthomas
12-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I had to quickly hit mute so I could concentrate on the game - at a seemingly critical moment. Vitale is such a jerk.

When Vitale went on his usual diatribe that some college should take a chance on Robert Montgomery Knight, I was thinking that we would be much better served if ESPN would take a chance and replace Vitale with Robert Montgomery Knight.

DukieInBrasil
12-03-2008, 09:44 AM
i woulda voted for G if he had shot the ball reasonably well, even if it had only been 1-2, but 1-8 is terrible and hurt the team somewhat. His rebounding, weak-side D and passing were all excellent. I went with Kyle cuz of the double-double compared to Scheyer´s mediocre ball-handling. The 9-10 FT from Jon is nice to see, mostly cuz it indicates that he is taking the ball to the D and forcing contact.
Lots of nice tidbits in the game from several players like the 8rebs in only 11mins from Z and a solid game at PG from Nolan, but it really was a 2-man show.

jpfrizzle
12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
This vote was a tough decision. I think "everyone" played as a team effort against Purdue. Some shined in the 1st half, where others shined in the 2nd half. So I went with Kyle. He may of had a slow start, but he made up for it with rebounds and then exploded in the 2nd half.

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

jv001
12-03-2008, 10:11 AM
I voted for Kyle, but had to think hard between he and Jon. I could nickpick and say what I thought was one of the others weak points in this game but I will not. They both played their hearts out and both mean so much to this team. They both played very good defense and Jon shot the ball very well. That was good to see and watch out if that continues. Go Duke!

Wander
12-03-2008, 12:08 PM
Scheyer held the opponent's leading scorer to a big fat zero for the first 30 minutes of the game. I was concerned that he was having some trouble adjusting to being our first-choice defensive stopper (Jimmy Barron, Manny Harris), but he obviously did not have any such trouble last night.

lmb
12-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I know McClure is listed as a senior, but does he have another year of eligibility due to a red-shirt year?

ncexnyc
12-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Kyle did an excellent job of making Hummel a non-factor in the game. He also did his usual job of scoring.

Kim*
12-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Gotta give it to McClure. I love that scrappy kid.

Kim*
12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I know McClure is listed as a senior, but does he have another year of eligibility due to a red-shirt year?
No, this is his senior redshirt year. He was part of the 2004 signing class with DeMarcus.

Billy Dat
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM
I give MOTM to Singler because I think he physically dominated the game...his driving two handed slam toward the end, to me, represents the difference in his game from last year to this year...stronger, even more swagger, a strong touch of F-you. BUT, Singler/Scheyer are really a lethal combination. Neither can probably do what they do without the little and big things that the other does. They really feed off of each other. The collective feeling they give off is that we may lose a game, but it won't be because they didn't do everything they could for us to win - including dominating the ball handling down the stretch. It's like they're emphatically saying, "Not on my watch!"

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
I voted for Dave solely because he made the three at the end of the prettiest play of the night.

So there.

That three was HUGE and the announcers even realized it... It showed they could leave NOONE unguarded.

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Gerald added eight defensive rebounds and led the team in assists with 5! That's what I call contributin until your offense comes around. Two blocks too ...

He comes out of nowhere with the blocks. Just nasty.

Cell-R
12-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Singler with a close second by Scheyer.

I never thought I would be so impressed by Scheyer this season!

SilkyJ
12-03-2008, 04:21 PM

G is contributing everywhere and the great part is that he isn't forcing things on offense. Kyle and Jon are doing their thing and Gerald is being passive, but not to a point where its hurting us. A little more aggression on his part might be warranted tho. It seems as tho he can get to the rim easily...

What I think is interesting is that one month ago we all would have said that Kyle and G were our two top candidates to jump early with G "likely" to go after this year and Kyle a possibility. Now it would seem to be the other way around...Kyle can play.

JDev
12-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Singler has been the best player on the floor every game this year.
The old seperated at birth bit.

devildeac
12-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Just had a chance to review the box score. Jon had a heck of a game but I still think Kyle wins by a rebound or two;).

ArnieMc
12-04-2008, 09:56 AM
Just had a chance to review the box score. Jon had a heck of a game but I still think Kyle wins by a rebound or two;).I use a simple stat formula: PTS + REB + AST + BLK + STL - TO

Kyle = 30; Jon = 26