PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who's a Duke Fan?

Bostondevil
04-01-2007, 03:14 PM
I run a small theater workshop in the Boston area and through a series of well, events, I happened to meet Cambridge resident John Malkovich recently. Turns out he's a big Duke basketball fan and would love to spend time in Durham making a movie, particularly during basketball season.

Indoor66
04-01-2007, 03:47 PM
I run a small theater workshop in the Boston area and through a series of well, events, I happened to meet Cambridge resident John Malkovich recently. Turns out he's a big Duke basketball fan and would love to spend time in Durham making a movie, particularly during basketball season.

"On Being John Malkovich the Duke Fan" :)

throatybeard
04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Devilish Liaisons

lavell12
04-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Some other famous Duke fans are:
Kenny Chesney
Alex Rodriguez (played w/ Trajan Langdon in the minors)
Lil' Bow Wow

pamtar
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Some other famous Duke fans are:
Kenny Chesney
Alex Rodriguez (played w/ Trajan Langdon in the minors)
Lil' Bow Wow

Trajan played minor league ball? Tell me more.

Kewlswim
04-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Trajan played minor league ball? Tell me more.

Hi,

Yes, the baseball money actually paid for his studies. I don't believe he received a "scholarship" per se.

GO DUKE!

Karl Beem
04-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Hi,

Yes, the baseball money actually paid for his studies. I don't believe he received a "scholarship" per se.

GO DUKE!

I believe he received scholarship money for at least one year.

Bostondevil
04-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Sorry guys, this was my (admittedly lame) attempt at an April Fool's. I haven't met John Malkovich so he may actually be a Duke fan but I wouldn't know. If I'd said he was going to play Coach K in a biopic, would that have given it away?

But it's nice to know Alex Rodriguez is a Duke fan. I can't stand the Yankees as a concept but I don't dislike most of the individual players.

Trajan was drafted after his freshman year. A scout saw him playing catch in a parking lot with his father. A deal was worked out with the NCAA that he could play minor league ball in the summer but he would have to use the money earned to pay his way through Duke, so after freshman year, technically, Trajan was not on scholarship.

Law Talking Guy
04-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi,

GO DUKE!

Kewl,

Your header is right on; Trajan was a 3B prospect of some fanfare in the Padres organization (drafted in the 6th round (that's really good) in 1994). Like Pedro Cerrano, however, Trajan liked straightball very much; curveball: bats were afraid. Further, Jobu did not come to take the fear from Trajan's bats. Lucky for us...

True story: A-Rod came to a couple of games and just stood on the wall. He's a cool guy.

jimbonelson
04-01-2007, 09:25 PM
i am from aberdeen maryland and played soccer and baseball with billy ripkin with that said his older brother always pulls for maryland but his second fav team is duke

crote
04-01-2007, 09:37 PM
I remember A-Rod coming to a game in CIS last season. I think it was the OT game against FSU.

LetItBD08
04-01-2007, 10:31 PM
You're right, crote. Rodriguez was at the overtime game versus FSU in '06. Cal Ripken, Jr., was at the UNC game (I believe) that year. I've also seen John Smoltz at a game or two in the past couple of years.

Methodistman
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Smoltz is a Spartan grad and fan - HUGE fan. He shows up on the Dan Patrick show on ESPN radio from time to time and he actually is great at analyzing college bball - but still a MSU homer.

365Duke
04-01-2007, 11:00 PM
NASCAR drivers Ward and Jeff Burton are HUGE duke fans.

joshnfriedman
04-02-2007, 12:33 AM
A friend of mine who is really reliable said he read somewhere that Coach K is "talking" with the Celtics right now. Has anyone out there heard about this? I can't seem to find anything on the major sites, but that doesn't always mean anything.

JBDuke
04-02-2007, 12:52 AM
That's called an April Fool's Joke. If Coach K was gonna leave for the Celtics, it would have been back in the early 90's, when Dave Gavitt was there and they offered it to him.

I strongly suspect that after the Lakers' solicitation, Coach K is done with NBA flirtations, unless things change dramatically at Duke or in college basketball in general.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 01:13 AM
Gail Goestenkors is going to the Spurs after the current NBA season is over. The whole UT-Austin thing is a ruse.

JBDuke
04-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Gail Goestenkors is going to the Spurs after the current NBA season is over. The whole UT-Austin thing is a ruse.

Please note that it is now April 2nd, even in St. Louis.

throatybeard
04-02-2007, 01:48 AM
Please note that it is now April 2nd, even in St. Louis.

I'm still in MS for another 3, 3.5 months, and as Faulkner says of this place, "the past isn't dead; it isn't even past."

Cameron
04-02-2007, 03:12 AM
Ok, don't ever do that again. I almost had a heart attack reading the header at first glance.

Cameron
04-02-2007, 03:19 AM
I believe Six from Blossom used to wear Duke panties in the early nineties.