PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Rogers

dball
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Evidently, Rodney had a serious accident on his ATV this past Friday. Hope all goes well for him.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/4052871/

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Evidently, Rodney had a serious accident on his ATV this past Friday. Hope all goes well for him.

http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/4052871/

Get well quick, Rodney. You had one helluva game in Cameron your junior year.

killerleft
12-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Good luck, Rodney. He's always seemed to be a class act, no give and no take on the court.

chrishoke
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Best of luck Rodney

weezie
12-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Awful news. I hate those ATV things.

Rodney Rogers just killed us that year in Cameron. He's a handsome man and always did act like a gentleman. I sure hope he recovers 100%.

heyman25
12-01-2008, 07:43 PM
He is also from Durham NC my hometown. He went to Hillside High; I went to Durham High

SupaDave
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
I thank you all for being so gracious. He is a personal friend of mine. I'm from Durham and attended Northern Durham High School. I watched Rodney attempt many 360 dunks. He has been very active in Durham's Community, most recently helping me and some of my friends - all of whom are Alumni of Northern or Hillside - host a charity flag football game every Christmas. He will be our man of the year this year. It is an unbelievable thing right now.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2008, 11:30 PM
I thank you all for being so gracious. He is a personal friend of mine. I'm from Durham and attended Northern Durham High School. I watched Rodney attempt many 360 dunks. He has been very active in Durham's Community, most recently helping me and some of my friends - all of whom are Alumni of Northern or Hillside - host a charity flag football game every Christmas. He will be our man of the year this year. It is an unbelievable thing right now.
Any updates on Rodney's condition will be appreciated. Thanks, SupaDave!

Turtleboy
12-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Why are they holding a benefit for him? Does he need the money? It seems like his NBA career should have set him up.

Vincetaylor
12-02-2008, 04:14 PM
The benefit isn't "for" Rodney Rogers. He does the benefit for those less fortunate.

BobbyFan
12-02-2008, 10:22 PM
There is a report that Rogers is partially paralyzed. No official statement, or specifics on his condition, but his former teammate Lorenzen Wright seems to have gotten some word:

An accident with an all-terrain vehicle that has reportedly left former NBA player Rodney Rogers partially paralyzed has shocked and saddened one of Rogers' former teammates, Cavaliers forward Lorenzen Wright...

link (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2008/12/cavaliers_insider_wright_worry.html)

DukieInKansas
12-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I hope he has a full recovery. keeping him in my prayers.

Turtleboy
12-03-2008, 10:48 AM
The benefit isn't "for" Rodney Rogers. He does the benefit for those less fortunate.Well, the linked article says this :
A horseback riding group, "Black Trail Riders," said Sunday they are planning a benefit ride in a few weeks for Rogers.

Are you saying that this is "for" someone other than Rogers? That's not how I read it.

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 11:15 AM
They were referring to our Sons of Durham charity flag football game. The Riders benefit is apparently something that just came up.

Regardless, in this situation, there's NO amount of money that can be considered enough.

There are all kinds of expenses associated with this type of injury. Look up the info on the recently paralyzed BMX pro by the name of Stephan Murray to get a better idea of how great this could become.

Turtleboy
12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
They were referring to our Sons of Durham charity flag football game.I'm probably just confused, but where in the linked article is this reference?

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm probably just confused, but where in the linked article is this reference?

It's in this thread...

Turtleboy
12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
It's in this thread...OK. The person who started this thread linked to an article about Rogers's injury. Referring to that article, I asked about the benefit for Rogers. I was told that "they" were not holding a benefit for Rogers. I replied by quoting the article and asked for clarification. I was then told that "they" were talking about a flag football game. Well, they weren't.

Obviously, the person who corrected me did not bother to read the link. Not my fault, really.

davekay1971
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Back on the subject, best wishes to Rodney Rogers and family. He was a remarkable force in the ACC and, by all accounts, is a good guy and a benefit to Durham. Hope all the best for him!

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM
OK. The person who started this thread linked to an article about Rogers's injury. Referring to that article, I asked about the benefit for Rogers. I was told that "they" were not holding a benefit for Rogers. I replied by quoting the article and asked for clarification. I was then told that "they" were talking about a flag football game. Well, they weren't.

Obviously, the person who corrected me did not bother to read the link. Not my fault, really.

The link has also been updated since it's original post and it also looks like you havent read the thread... Please read all of my posts...

SupaDave
12-03-2008, 12:02 PM
The ACC is just the half of it. I wish you guys could have seen him in high school.

In Durham he is known to us as "Tee-tot" which was a nickname given to him as a youth b/c he was actually small (tiny-tot).

By the time I got to high school the only thing people talked about was "Tot". He was front page news - especially when it came to S.A.T. time. He never let passing that test get him down.

Where he really excelled was on the court and many of Hillside's games were moved to NCCU that year.

One game in particular that I remember was against Northern at NCCU and in the first SIX seconds of the game he already had a steal, a block, and a 360 degree dunk that broke the shot clock.

Hillside's team his Senior year was like a group of travelling rock stars. The ONLY people that rivaled their popularity were SOME of the players at UNC and Duke.

SupaDave
12-04-2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1319971.html

elvis14
12-04-2008, 09:58 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/1319971.html

Thanks for the updated link Dave and for the first hand impressions of Rodney. I'm bummed to hear about his accident. I always liked him as a player and after reading your comments and the other articles about him this week, I like him as a person. I hope he can find a way to make the best of this.

SupaDave
12-04-2008, 10:37 AM
No problem guys. Actually, a few folks from our Durham crew live here in Atlanta so we will be trying to make our way to the hospital this weekend to see if there's anything we can do.

allenmurray
12-04-2008, 11:01 AM
No problem guys. Actually, a few folks from our Durham crew live here in Atlanta so we will be trying to make our way to the hospital this weekend to see if there's anything we can do.

It is nice to know that his being transferred to Atlanta won't keep him from having friends that can be with him!

The N&O article was a good one. Having lived in Durham for 27 years now, I can attest to the accuracy of his love for Durham and his desire to help others. While I never met RR, it is hard to be involved in public schools, youth issues, or recreational league sports (all of which I am involved with) without hearing his name come up over and over - and always in a positve way.

willywoody
12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
They're making big gains in paralysis work nowadays so I'm hoping it can benefit him. Good to hear he has a lot of support to help him through these hard times. He sounds like he's a special man and we all could benefit from more like him.

CathyCA
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
So sorry to see RR's prognosis. Love and prayers to him and his loved ones. . .

AtlDuke72
12-04-2008, 12:05 PM
They're making big gains in paralysis work nowadays so I'm hoping it can benefit him. Good to hear he has a lot of support to help him through these hard times. He sounds like he's a special man and we all could benefit from more like him.

Shepherd's is an amazing place and I have seen miraculous recoveries on other patient's there. I do not presume to know anything about Roger's injuries, but I have to believe there is hope. We should all say a prayer for his recovery.

Son of Mojo
12-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Certainly hope there is some way that with the treatment he will receive that he can recover. Best wishes.

davekay1971
12-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Good Lord. Just read the official word article on the home page, and that is tragic news. Another blow to a beloved member of the Wake Forest family. Thoughts and prayers for Rogers and his family.

aimo
12-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I overlapped two years at Wake with Rodney. I had a friend who tutored some of the athletes and met him through her. He was very nice, humble, and gracious. We picked on each other about our rival Durham high schools. I ran into him a few years ago at the Duke Children's Classic. Just as sweet and humble as always. I wish the best for his recovery.

SupaDave
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I will see about getting an address for you guys and info from the family. Here's some quick info on the Shepard center as well.

http://www.shepherd.org/

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Having some friends from home living nearby where they can visit Rodney and encourage him.... that sort of support can be huge in his recovery. I know you guys. You'll be there and you won't give up in your support of your old friend.

rodge79
12-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Rodney Rogers was responsible for easily the most instantaneously exciting/amazing moment that I've ever seen at the ACC Tourney when he took an offensive rebound that was a full arm's length behind his head, caught it, and (while still in the air) dunked it over every UNC player, fan, booster, administration member and alumni across the entire state. Absolutely incredible, and my sight angle on it was perfect.

Best wishes, prayers, etc. to Mr. Rogers and his family & friends. And a belated thanks for that freaking INCREDIBLE put-back jam over the Heels!

kydevil
12-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I will see about getting an address for you guys and info from the family. Here's some quick info on the Shepard center as well.

http://www.shepherd.org/

The Shepherd Center in Atlanta is top notch. During my senior year of high school my best friend was in a dirt-biking accident and was paralyzed from the shoulders down. It was, and still is a very sad story having to miss graduation and so on. He was at UK for awhile, where he was treated poorly and the doctors at UK told him he would never get his extremities back. He then went to Shepherd and it's been a complete 180. The staff has been top notch and were very accommodating when we visited. They gave him confidence that he could overcome this and got him going in the right direction. He now is close to full movement in his arms and his wrists and his fingers have feeling and can move somewhat.

Rodney will receive excellent care down there and the staff will do everything in their power to help him overcome this. My heart goes out to him and everyone close to him. I'm sure it will be tough seeing a man so strong like he is in this kind of condition.

Faison1
12-04-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey SupaDave.....Please tell him we are all thinking of him....I prayed for him last night.

He is one of my all-time favorites, and his 360 dunk will never be forgotten, although the opponent has been.

All of our thoughts are with him.

summerwind03
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. Hope you can pass on the good vibes from the DBR board.

Faison1
12-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Any progress or updates for Rodney? I have been thinking of him all the time. I saw in a couple articles that people were fundraising for him. I thought he was financially set. Is that not the case? Maybe I misread the articles.

trinity92
12-16-2008, 09:46 AM
I will see about getting an address for you guys and info from the family.

Any progress on this? I'd love to send a note.

SupaDave
12-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Any progress on this? I'd love to send a note.

The Shepherd Center is a controlled access facility. We are currently letting things die down a bit. Things are quite hectic with it being the holidays and all.

SupaDave
12-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Rodney is still in ICU so you can't send him much right now.

You CAN however send postcards and cards to Rodney. General things should be fine. Seasonal as well.

You can send cards to the following address:

The Shepherd Center
2020 Peachtree Rd Nw
Atlanta, GA 30309
attn: Rodney Rogers Rm. 409

DukieInKansas
03-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Wondering if there is any update on Rodney Rogers. I'm keeping him in my prayers.

Misunderestimated
03-11-2009, 02:05 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/scottfowler/story/589108.html

Sorry, I don't know how to condense links down to 1 word or phrase.

This is an update on RR. As we already knew, the guy is a fighter and has kept a pretty good attitude through this ordeal. I'm pulling for him.

tbyers11
03-11-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/scottfowler/story/589108.html

Sorry, I don't know how to condense links down to 1 word or phrase.

This is an update on RR. As we already knew, the guy is a fighter and has kept a pretty good attitude through this ordeal. I'm pulling for him.

Thanks for the update. Glad to see that Rodney is still fighting.

As for the link. When you use the regular reply screen (not the quick reply) here is how you do a link as a word or phrase.

1) Copy URL of link
2) Select word or phrase that you want to appear as hypertext (blue underlined link) in your reply by highlighting it with the cursor
3) Click the icon on top that looks like the Earth with a chain link under it
4) Paste the link in the box that pops up
5) Click OK
6) Submit message as normal. If you did it correctly, the link should appear as a link when you hit the preview post button

That should do the trick.

SupaDave
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Interview with Chris Webber...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObmye-Q6nw

Indoor66
06-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Interview with Chris Webber...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oObmye-Q6nw

I hope we can all say a prayer or have a good thought for Rodney.

It would be wonderful if, one day, he could get up out of that chair.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
But there is a rumor on Inside Carolina that Rodney Rogers died last night.....can anyone confirm that?

Cockabeau
04-06-2010, 09:46 AM
What sad story...:(

cruxer
04-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Can anyone find a real news report stating this? I just did a google news search and found nothing. Hopefully this is just an unfounded rumor....

Matches
04-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Twitter search shows a tweet from 2 days ago asking if Rogers is deceased - sounds like someone might be mistaken. Hopefully this is an unfounded rumor.

Newton_14
04-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Our own SupaDave would likely know if this is true. He has followed the Roger's situation pretty closely. Maybe Supa can find out for sure. I really hope this is not true.

SupaDave
04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Yes - I can confirm that a Rod Rogers died - but not OUR Rodney Rogers. This other guy was ALSO from Durham and amazingly there have been two guys actually die in the last year named Rod Rogers.

DukieInKansas
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Yes - I can confirm that a Rod Rogers died - but not OUR Rodney Rogers. This other guy was ALSO from Durham and amazingly there have been two guys actually die in the last year named Rod Rogers.

Thank you for the update. I'm sorry for the family and friends of the Rod Rogers, both of them, that passed away. But I'm glad "our" Rodney Rogers has not passed away. I hope he is doing well with his rehab and his spirits are strong.

SupaDave
04-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the update. I'm sorry for the family and friends of the Rod Rogers, both of them, that passed away. But I'm glad "our" Rodney Rogers has not passed away. I hope he is doing well with his rehab and his spirits are strong.

Thanks DIK! It truly is tragic regardless, this "other" Rod died in church Sunday of cardiac arrest... R.I.P.

CameronBornAndBred
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
WRAL has an update on what Rogers is up to these days, most of which involves around his foundation for similarily disabled people.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nba/story/8056562/

throatybeard
12-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Anybody know anything new about his health?

killerleft
12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Anybody know anything new about his health?

No, but he was shown on the scoreboard at the Wake Forest-Duke football game in W-S, saying he was "Proud to be a Deacon", along with some impressiviely famous people including Arnold Palmer. Don't know when that was taped. Duke should do one of those little segments, it was nice.

SupaDave
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
No new news really except that Rodney is stable and chugging along while trying to bring awareness in the process. He's gonna put in work no matter his situation. We may not see him walk again but he has a chance to do some things in the same vein as Christopher Reeves - and for that he's thankful.

SupaDave
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Rodney is in this recent NCCU basketball video.

Really it deserves it's own thread to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7KBcbwN_fs#t=31

Jim3k
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Rodney is in this recent NCCU basketball video.

Really it deserves it's own thread to be seen.

That is definitely worth the 20 minutes to watch. NCCU should be very proud of that program.

MartyClark
12-06-2013, 07:00 PM
It's 20 minutes long but well worth the watch to get a look inside the storied cross town rival's program.

Thanks Dave. I have never lived in North Carolina so am not that familiar with NCCU. I looked at the video and am curious. What's their claim to fame? Every school has 2 or 3 events, alumni or shining moments that they point to. What's their defining characteristic?

Son of Jarhead
12-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks Dave. I have never lived in North Carolina so am not that familiar with NCCU. I looked at the video and am curious. What's their claim to fame? Every school has 2 or 3 events, alumni or shining moments that they point to. What's their defining characteristic?

Marty, here's a little info on NCCU:

NCCU (then called North Carolina College for Negroes) became the nation’s first state-supported liberal arts college for African-American students in 1925. Here is a link to the university's history: http://www.nccu.edu/discover/history.cfm

Some famous alumni include: current NCCU head coach LeVelle Moten; NBA Hall of Famer Sam Jones; former NC Governor Mike Easley; Herman Boone, HS head football coach played by Denzel Washington in Remember the Titans; Congressman G K Butterfield; Larry Black, Olympic track & field gold & silver medalist; Tex Harrison, a Harlem Globetrotter player & coach; and numerous politicians, judges, pro football players, & civil rights leaders.

And here are a couple important figures associated with NCCU, both with Duke connections:

Dr. Leroy Walker, who also served as NCCU's Chancellor, was their track coach and a great friend of Duke's track coach Al Buehler. He also served as USOC President during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

John McLendon coached basketball there in the 40's, is credited with increasing the pace of the game to that which we enjoy today, and is in both the Basketball HOF & the Nat'l Collegiate HOF. While he was coaching the Eagles, in 1944, his team played a team from Duke in what is called "The Secret Game". ESPN did a nice movie on it a few years ago, which they usually replay during Black History Month every February. Here is the trailer: http://youtu.be/tJvZIdFL-tQ

I'm sure others may have much more info & insight, but I hope that helps.

Indoor66
12-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Marty, here's a little info on NCCU:

NCCU (then called North Carolina College for Negroes) became the nation’s first state-supported liberal arts college for African-American students in 1925. Here is a link to the university's history: http://www.nccu.edu/discover/history.cfm

Some famous alumni include: current NCCU head coach LeVelle Moten; NBA Hall of Famer Sam Jones; former NC Governor Mike Easley; Herman Boone, HS head football coach played by Denzel Washington in Remember the Titans; Congressman G K Butterfield; Larry Black, Olympic track & field gold & silver medalist; Tex Harrison, a Harlem Globetrotter player & coach; and numerous politicians, judges, pro football players, & civil rights leaders.

And here are a couple important figures associated with NCCU, both with Duke connections:

Dr. Leroy Walker, who also served as NCCU's Chancellor, was their track coach and a great friend of Duke's track coach Al Buehler. He also served as USOC President during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

John McLendon coached basketball there in the 40's, is credited with increasing the pace of the game to that which we enjoy today, and is in both the Basketball HOF & the Nat'l Collegiate HOF. While he was coaching the Eagles, in 1944, his team played a team from Duke in what is called "The Secret Game". ESPN did a nice movie on it a few years ago, which they usually replay during Black History Month every February. Here is the trailer: http://youtu.be/tJvZIdFL-tQ

I'm sure others may have much more info & insight, but I hope that helps.

I would add that Leroy Walker was the Head Coach for the U. S. Olympic track and field team in 1976. He also was the prime mover for the US-Pan Africa track and field meet held at Wallace Wade in the early 70's and the later international track meets held at Wallace Wade - leading up to the '76 Olympics.

throatybeard
12-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Okay, I checked Easley's wiki article, and it's not complete. Did he get a law degree at NCCU, and Carolina was his undergrad? The reverse seems statistically unlikely for a white guy of his age.

Son of Jarhead
12-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Okay, I checked Easley's wiki article, and it's not complete. Did he get a law degree at NCCU, and Carolina was his undergrad? The reverse seems statistically unlikely for a white guy of his age.

Law degree was from NCCU.

SupaDave
12-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Law degree was from NCCU.

Yes and their law school is quite well regarded. Having Duke and UNC in close proximity certainly doesn't hurt.

In addition to the above - Durham has the great distinction of winning National Basketball titles in both Divisions I and II. NCCU bought one home first in 1989 (while Duke was in the Final Four at that) and then Duke upped the ante in 1991 of course.

ALL of this while Rodney Rogers was dominating at Hillside. Rodney's games had grown too big for the old Hillside's gymnasium so all of Hillside's home games were played in NCCU's McDougald (now McDougald-McClendon) gymnasium. It's unbelievable the level of basketball that was being played in Durham at the time (even Science and Math had a good team). My high school years were simply the awesomest... :)