PDA

View Full Version : ACC-Big Ten challenge poll

JasonEvans
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
How many games will the ACC win this year.

Please comment on your predictions. Poll will close tonight, so vote early and often ;)

-Jason

Bluedog
12-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Wisco vs. Va Tech
Landry takes over and WI wins.
Big Ten 1, ACC 0

Ohio St vs. Miami
Miami is too good for a team that has played only Delaware St and Bowling Green. Miami is up for the challenge after having fallen to UConn.
Winner: Miami - Big Ten 1, ACC 1

Clemson vs. IL
One of the more interesting matchups in my opinion. I was going to pick IL in what I consider a coin-toss, but decided to display my ACC bias and choose Clemson. This game will tell us a lot, I think.
Winner: Clemson in a close one - Big Ten 1, ACC 2

Virginia vs. MN
Ugh, what can be said about UVA? They have looked pathetic thus far, so I have to choose the 5-0 Gophers.
Winner: MN - Big Ten 2, ACC 2

Iowa vs. BC
Iowa is too young to handle BC's physical play. But I could see this one definitely going the other way if the BC who lost to St. Louis shows up. The vs. UAB BC should win this one.
Winner: BC - Big Ten 2, ACC 3

Duke vs. Purdue
As long we control Hummel from hitting an absurd number of 3s, I think we'll win this one. It's certainly not going to be easy though. Can Purdue bounce back from an OT loss to Oklahoma? The home crowd will give them extra energy and make this a close one.
Winner: Duke - Big Ten 2, ACC 4

Indiana vs. Wake
Oh, Indiana. So, so young. Don't think this one is going to be much of a contest. WFU looked good last night against Baylor and IN has looked, well, bad. It'll take Crean a few years to rebuild this program ("rebuilding" Indiana sounds very odd....)
Winner: Wake - Big Ten 2, ACC 5

Michigan vs. Maryland
This is another game I feel could go either way. Both Michigan and MD have upset good teams, and have one loss. I'll choose Michigan since I like them more than MD. MD needs to be more consistent.
Winner: Michigan - Big Ten 3, ACC 5

FSU vs. Northwestern
Northwestern = terrible.
Winner: FSU - Big Ten 3, ACC 6

Penn St vs Ga Tech
Penn St = terrible.
Winner: Ga Tech, Big Ten 3, ACC 7

UNC vs. MSU
UNC has too much depth at all positions for MSU to keep up with their pace. I could see this game being close in the first half, but UNC will pull away in the second half.
Winner: UNC, Big Ten 3, ACC 8

Final: ACC 8, Big Ten 3

I voted 7 in the poll without really going game by game, but would change it to 8 now.

Wander
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Minnesota should beat Virginia.

After that... I'll say one of Wisconsin/Ohio State will win, but this could be ugly.

jv001
12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I picked 9 wins for the ACC, but I believe there are several toss up games. I picked Virginia and Maryland to lose for the ACC. Duke-Purdue could be the best game of them all. Go Duke!

SilkyJ
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
7:

Duke
UNC
Clemson
Miami
Wake
FSU
GA Tech

Maryland/Mich could go either way imo, as could Miami/OSU and BS/Iowa.

riverside6
12-01-2008, 12:27 PM
We just posted our preview (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_NewsBreaker_External.asp?NB=1417) last night on the challenge, and I have the ACC going 7-4.

In it I have UNC, FSU, Maryland, Wake Forest, BC, Duke, and Virginia Tech picking up wins. I have to say I really love this challenge, although this season I'd prefer the old ACC/Big East challenge to return. Think about those matchups!

If you guys enjoy tempo-based stats, I'd encourage you to check out our Live Stats for these games. We'll provide Enhanced Live Box Score for 8 of the 11 games (including the Duke game), and likely pick up one more. Our preview has the Live Stats links for each of the games.

bigj4194
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
I went with 8...the only one im not sure about is the MI/MD game...but the others im pretty confident about...looks like the ACC will be winning this again

gw67
12-01-2008, 03:28 PM
DBR may be a bit optimistic in predicting nine victories for the ACC this year. I like Duke, UNC, Wake and Georgia Tech. The other seven games could go either way IMO although BC, Miami and Maryland have the home court advantage.

According to RealTime RPI (http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_big10_Men.html), the Big Ten is the highest rated league and Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota all rank in the top 32. This is an opportunity for several ACC teams to improve their OOC strength of schedule.

gw67

juise
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I went with eight. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13000)

rasputin
12-01-2008, 03:41 PM
DBR may be a bit optimistic in predicting nine victories for the ACC this year. I like Duke, UNC, Wake and Georgia Tech. The other seven games could go either way IMO although BC, Miami and Maryland have the home court advantage.

According to RealTime RPI (http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_big10_Men.html), the Big Ten is the highest rated league and Illinois, Michigan, Northwestern, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Minnesota all rank in the top 32. This is an opportunity for several ACC teams to improve their OOC strength of schedule.

gw67

It's a bit early for the RPI to mean much. Their national listings have Butler # 1, Clemson # 10, and San Francisco # 19.

killerleft
12-01-2008, 04:02 PM
I voted for 7 ACC wins.

No research. Just guessin' educatedly according to past results.

ACCBBallFan
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
The four road contests where visitor would be favored on neutral court are Wisc @ VAT, Clemson @ Illini, Duke @ Purdue and UNC @ Mich St.

MN should win at home vs UVA and NW should win at home vs FSU.

ACC home wins: Miami over OSU, BC over Iowa, Wake big over Indiana, GA Tech over State Penn (have nto forgiven them for beating my MO Tigers in bowl game about 1967 or so) and MD over Michigan.

So that would be 8-3 ACC and allowing for one more ACC road upset than B10, possibly 7-4.

juise
12-01-2008, 08:51 PM
I went with eight. (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13000)

That was moved from another thread, so don't think that I'm insane for making linking back to this thread. :)

Anyway, to expound upon my picks, I also like Wisconsin (though VT is giving them a run for their money) and Minnesota. After that, I think that only one more ACC team loses... could be Maryland, but I think Duke is vulnerable as well (apparently we're 2 point dogs). I'm not impressed by Iowa.

gotoguy
12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
BT 10(11) 6 wins ACC 5

Northwestern, the Illini, Purdue, Minnesota hold service at home.

OSU and Wisky(a sure thing ;) ) on the road.

Mackey is a very tough place to play and the Devils lose their first in the challenge. Does anyone know why K decided to play in West Lafayette? I was hoping for a rematch with Wisky in Kohl.

Bluedog
12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
Does anyone know why K decided to play in West Lafayette? I was hoping for a rematch with Wisky in Kohl.

I don't think Coach K gets much of a say. I'm pretty sure they decide what they think would be the best matchups based on TV ratings. Thus, ESPN has a lot of clout. Since Purdue was projected to vie for the Big Ten title with MSU, and Carolina and Duke are seen as the top two in the ACC, those were the chosen matchups.

JDev
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
The ACC is down one, as VT lost to Wisconsin tonight.

riverside6
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
The ACC is down one, as VT lost to Wisconsin tonight.

Nice game from Jeff Allen tonight...

2 pts, 3 rebs, 15 mins, 5 fouls

VT/Wisconsin Box Score (http://www.scacchoops.com/tt_Game_Box_Score_External.asp?hGame=1413)

SilkyJ
12-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I don't think Coach K gets much of a say. I'm pretty sure they decide what they think would be the best matchups based on TV ratings. Thus, ESPN has a lot of clout. Since Purdue was projected to vie for the Big Ten title with MSU, and Carolina and Duke are seen as the top two in the ACC, those were the chosen matchups.

Additionally, they try to alternate home/away each year. They don't quite do it every year but I think with one exception duke and unc both have alternated home and away each year (with a few not-so-neutral sites thrown in like greensboro)

JasonEvans
12-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Wisconsin should have played Wake (they would have lost to the Deacs) and Va Tech should have gotten Indiana (and Va Tech would have won).

Sometimes the matchups are just strange. Home game requirements and an effort to avoid matching up the same teams all the time play a factor though.

--Jason "Va Tech is snakebit-- but that may be a function of their coach" Evans

JasonEvans
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
As an aside-- dukeblue6661 and PURDUE7 were WRONG about the sweep.

--Jason "I like your optimism though" Evans