PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Duke Football '08

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM
Thanks to the team and the coaches for a really fun year. Not all of the games were as entertaining as we would have like, but I had a great time this year. I saw every home game, went to GT and Wake, and the others either listened to Bob or watched on the tube. (And listened to Bob while I muted whoever called it). I hope the seniors of this year come back and watch next year with the enthusiasm that some of their predecessors had done this season. I wish the speedy recovery of the injured and look forward to Watzone's updates in the spring. Mostly I hope every player wearing a Duke football jersey goes home for the holidays feeling that they are part of something different at Duke. If it's the beginning of a cultural change, then they have done their part. The coaches have done their part. And the fans have done their part. It will be even more fun next year.
And with that said, a flashback to the first game of this year.
http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/fls/4200/ty_splash/images/splash-page-thank-you-800x600-v2.jpg

wilson
11-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Nothing really to add, save a hearty second to the above. I attended the GT and Wake games. GT was sort of a natural since it was right here in town, and while I'd have liked the end result to be a bit closer, I was proud of the team's start to the game and there unwillingness to roll over. Then, a few weeks later, I was really happy to even be willing to spend eight hours in the car as part of a sixteen-hour day to see a Duke football game. That time, the game was of course thisclose (frustratingly so), but it was lots of fun to put a big scare into thousands of bowl-bound Deac fans (including my brother).
I of course plan to attend as many games as possible next year too, including the bowl game.;) Thank you, well done, and let's have some more, Blue Devils.

Mike Corey
11-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Couldn't agree more. We saw a lot of very positive signs, and a lot of signs that the football program has a long way to go. Cutcliffe has been the first to say that, and is hell-bent on turning Duke into a championship-level program.

Lots of credit goes to the fans, too (and for Cutcliffe, his staff and his team doing yeoman's work in reaching out to Duke and Durham).

Attendance figures from the past few seasons:

'08: 28,727
'07: 20,064
'06: 19,580
'05: 17,486
'04: 22,505
'03: 20,026

wilson
11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Couldn't agree more. We saw a lot of very positive signs, and a lot of signs that the football program has a long way to go. Cutcliffe has been the first to say that, and is hell-bent on turning Duke into a championship-level program.

Lots of credit goes to the fans, too (and for Cutcliffe, his staff and his team doing yeoman's work in reaching out to Duke and Durham).

Attendance figures from the past few seasons:

'08: 28,727
'07: 20,064
'06: 19,580
'05: 17,486
'04: 22,505
'03: 20,026

I agree with all of this, especially the emphasis-added part. And those attendance numbers are among the most positive developments of the season...a solid home crowd is a very real part of forward progress for the program, and of any successful team's strengths.

RainingThrees
11-30-2008, 11:15 PM
How many people can Wade hold?

blazindw
11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
How many people can Wade hold?

WW holds 33,941.

I made it to 4 football games this year from DC: James Madison, Miami, and UNC at home, and the road game at Virginia Tech. I was really excited about the season before it started, and my excitement was high throughout the season. I'm proud of the entire program for starting off the Cutcliffe era with a new attitude and a new air about them, and it was fun to travel all those miles to watch them do it (and watch them on TV!). I cannot wait to hit up some more games next year, including that long-awaited bowl game!

devildeac
12-01-2008, 08:58 AM
WW holds 33,941.

But many more can be seated if bleachers are added. That has been discussed here before and several of our more "seasoned" posters have verified or posted photos of decades past when there were 50-60K attending a game at WW. I spoke with one of them at the final Brunchgate and he remembers several occasions in the 50's and 60's when there were that many folks in attendance at WW. You change the attitude/culture and start filling the W column and the fans will return. The crowd was impressive on Saturday but many, many more Duke fans (with LOUD cheering voices) and MANY less 'hole fans would be a very warm, welcome addition to WW.

blazindw
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
WW holds 33,941.

But many more can be seated if bleachers are added. That has been discussed here before and several of our more "seasoned" posters have verified or posted photos of decades past when there were 50-60K attending a game at WW. I spoke with one of them at the final Brunchgate and he remembers several occasions in the 50's and 60's when there were that many folks in attendance at WW. You change the attitude/culture and start filling the W column and the fans will return. The crowd was impressive on Saturday but many, many more Duke fans (with LOUD cheering voices) and MANY less 'hole fans would be a very warm, welcome addition to WW.

You're right. The official capacity is 33,941, but as you said, adding bleachers can bring more people. Hopefully we get to that point where bleachers or perhaps a WW expansion (the closing of the horseshoe) becomes necessary.

CathyCA
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Thank you, Duke Football! I appreciate the hard work of Coach Cutcliffe, the assistant coaches, the strength and conditioning staff, the student managers, the band, the cheerleaders, the students and all of the fans. I especially appreciate the determination of the Duke football players to make this football season so memorable. You guys ROCK!

I can't wait for next year.

jv001
12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Good year for Coach Cut. Had players in excellent condition and a completely different attitude. Looking forward to Cut getting his own recruits. Especially some good DBs that can cover and tackle. Losing Michael T will certainly hurt and if Big O goes to the NFL a year early that will really hurt us next year. However I have confidence in Coach Cut and the staff to field a competitive team. Thanks 2008 squad for a good year. Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
One way to show appreciation is to attend this year's Football Banquet. Plans should be in the making and invitations sent out in the near future. The last such event open to anyone outside the team and coaches was for the 2006 team. The Football Summit was the same weekend. The ballrooms at the Washington Duke were filled. In view of the increased interest and support this year, I'm hoping the venue selected will be larger allowing more fans to attend and be a part of honoring the team.

GO DUKE!!!!

Scorp4me
12-01-2008, 10:20 AM
33,941? Why couldn't they just add 59 more. 34,000 would be so much easier lol.

davekay1971
12-01-2008, 10:30 AM
33,941? Why couldn't they just add 59 more. 34,000 would be so much easier lol.

It used to be 34,000, but America's gotten fatter.

Congrats to Duke football on a very positive season. Cutcliffe has already succeeded in turning around the culture of Duke football. The recruits are coming, and we can all look forward to a successful football program being rebuilt.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
It used to be 34,000, but America's gotten fatter.

Congrats to Duke football on a very positive season. Cutcliffe has already succeeded in turning around the culture of Duke football. The recruits are coming, and we can all look forward to a successful football program being rebuilt.

When the capacity of our stadium was higher, the bleachers, temporary and permanent, were wood with lots of splinters. People sat closer together in an effort to minimize their exposure to the splinters. Back then people were more courteous and could safely sit closer together. ;)

OldPhiKap
12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
I am extremely proud of the effort our team and coaches put into this season. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, and we took many steps forward this year. Much like K's early years here, I hope we can look back at the 2008 squad and incoming recruits as the foundation upon which a steady foundation is built.

It's great to be proud of Duke football again.

-- OPK

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
What everybody else has said goes double for me!!! Bless ALL your hearts!!!
Love, Ima

willywoody
12-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Preseason I said a 4 win season would be a good year and it has been. Depth remains an issue but I'm happy for the seniors who finally got to show that they can play with ranked opponents. Thanks Duke Football.

Jarhead
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
Thank you, Duke Football! I appreciate the hard work of Coach Cutcliffe, the assistant coaches, the strength and conditioning staff, the student managers, the band, the cheerleaders, the students and all of the fans. I especially appreciate the determination of the Duke football players to make this football season so memorable. You guys ROCK!I can't wait for next year.
Ditto... Double Ditto with a capital D!!

RelativeWays
12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
I'd like to thank Duke football for getting me to make a full emotional investment in this team. It really made my weekend when the football team won and it hurt whenever they would lose just like it would for basketball. 4-8 may not seem like much but its a solid foundation especially when you remember that 4 of our loses we had a chance to win within the last 2 minutes of the game, I can't wait until next season.

4decadedukie
12-02-2008, 10:31 AM
I can only endorse all the other, strongly merited positive comments, but I want to do precisely that because the entire Duke football community has created a fundamental change in 2008, one that I suspect is simply the beginning of better and enduring improvements. If, on 1 January 2008, anyone had suggested Duke's football team would have four wins -- including an ACC victory and another in the SEC -- there would have been much skepticism, perhaps even some derision.

This is a base, however, that we can build upon. My heartfelt congratulations to EVERYONE whose tremendous efforts made this possible, especially the players, the coaches, and the fans.

NYC Duke Fan
12-02-2008, 03:35 PM
I am extremely proud of the effort our team and coaches put into this season. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, and we took many steps forward this year. Much like K's early years here, I hope we can look back at the 2008 squad and incoming recruits as the foundation upon which a steady foundation is built.

It's great to be proud of Duke football again.

-- OPK

I agree with you and all the kudos on this post re; football. You cannot compare basketball with football though. It is so much easier to upgrade your basketball program. All you really would need to start is one excellent big man and the rest would follow. Not the case in football..you need many, many recruits for a few years