PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma 87 - Purdue 82 (OT)

FerryFor50
11-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Looks like it was a good game. Couldn't find it on TV anywhere, though.

Worth noting from stats:

- Blake Griffin is a man-child. 18 pts, 23 boards. Jeez.

Anyone wanna bet he's gone after this year?

- Jeff Capel is doing an ok job coaching, eh?

- Purdue shot 5 FTs. Oklahoma shot 46. Now, either Purdue is a very, very physical team that fouls all the time, or the refs were pretty awful. How does Blake Griffin grab 23 boards and only picks up 2 fouls? And Purdue was never down enough to have to foul on purpose a lot. They fouled a little at the end, but that accounted for maybe 10-12 FT attempts.

Hate seeing discrepencies like that between quality teams.

Jumbo
11-28-2008, 06:42 PM
It was on ESPN2 -- real back and forth game.
The FT discrepency is because Purdue's offense was entirely perimeter-based and Oklahoma had a huge advantage inside -- not just with Blake Griffin but with his brother, Tyler, and some guards that could get to the bucket. It's kind of silly to complain about fouls in a game you didn't see.

FerryFor50
11-28-2008, 06:50 PM
It was on ESPN2 -- real back and forth game.
The FT discrepency is because Purdue's offense was entirely perimeter-based and Oklahoma had a huge advantage inside -- not just with Blake Griffin but with his brother, Tyler, and some guards that could get to the bucket. It's kind of silly to complain about fouls in a game you didn't see.

I'm not complaining about fouls. It just seemed very odd for there to be a 46-5 difference in FTs attempted. Perimeter oriented or not, that's insane. Duke has had a perimeter-based offense for years and you actually see more FTs in their offense.

I tried ESPN2 but must have just missed it or caught one of the in-game updates.

Saratoga2
11-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Both teams were very good and Purdue will be a tough game for us. They did turn the ball over much more than usual and they did foul out a critical player, but Oklahoma has Blake Griffin. He is really tough to stop inside. As it stands now, both the top Big 10 teams went down this week. It appears that the Big East, the ACC and the Big 12 all have solid conferences.

micah75
11-28-2008, 07:21 PM
- Jeff Capel is doing an ok job coaching, eh?

Yeah, not too shabby. And maybe it's just me, but on some of those brief sideline camera shots, I swear he bears a strong resemblance to Steven Segal. Add a pony tail and he could moonlight as his stuntman. Well, I guess Segal does his own stunts, so scratch that idea.

davekay1971
11-28-2008, 09:29 PM
Funny, I thought Blake Griffin's brother had the bigger Seagal resemblance. Jeff is doing a phenomenal job at Oklahoma.

ice-9
11-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Even though Purdue lost this game, in a way the two teams are evenly matched. This game was a coin toss until the very end when mental lapses and turnovers cost Purdue the game in OT. So I wouldn't say Purdue losing is necessarily an indication that the Big 10 is weak, though I agree Michigan State's loss looks bad.

DavidBenAkiva
11-29-2008, 11:45 AM
I watched a couple of Oklahoma games, and now I'm convinced that Blake Griffin is special. This is kind of funny how the Big 12 has produced its third straight breakout star in a row - first Durant, then Beasley, and now Griffin. I guess they'll have a center next year!

Two things about Griffin: 1) both of his knees were injured last year, so he wasn't quite as mobile as he is right now; and 2) he's one of the most gifted rebounders I have seen in college in a really long time. The guy is big and strong with long arms, he boxes out, and he jumps to the ball. He doesn't foul when he rebounds because he is always in position.

Between Durant, Beasley, and Griffin, my guess is that Griffin is the best of the three. He's a natural PF while the other two are sort of 'tweeners. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up and how he progresses. He still looks a little raw on offense, so his ceiling is pretty high. I will be shocked if he isn't the first pick in the NBA draft. Wouldn't that be interesting if he plays for Oklahoma City? Durant, Jeff Green, and Griffin - that's some talent.

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

PURDUE7
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Blake is a BEAST. He is a man amongst boys.....and PURDUE did a good job on him.

I realize that being DUKE is basically like IU. So PURDUE fans know what its like to play in Bloomington and get crushed at the foul line. Nobody expected a 46-5 edge against OK?

I always say that when you are a young coach in an up and coming program you have to earn those calls. Hopefully PURDUE is on their way.

dukeENG2003
12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
his brother, Tyler

to nitpick a bit, I believe its Taylor Griffin, not Tyler. . .