PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina 102, Notre Dame 87

dukelifer
11-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Not sure I will make it through the whole game- but UNC is looking good. They are fresher than Notre Dame and it shows so far. Notre Dame is a shooting team and they are missing a lot so far. Hansbrough is actually hitting his jumper tonight and looks solid. Lawson is the star- just faster than everyone and getting anything he wants. He looks very good this year- clearly on a mission. Ellington is waning, though. He is more of a background player right now. UNC seemed to dominate but still only lead by 10. No question UNC is very deep. Not all that spectacular- but really no weaknesses. We will see how Notre Dame responds in teh second half but they need to hit shots and make UNC work on D.

roywhite
11-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Watching some of the game; Lawson's drives are key for the Tarheels. When he gets going in the open court, he's generally headed to the rim. Sometimes it looks like the other team is positioned to stop him, but he is very fast and aggressive in his drives. When he gets close to the rim, he either makes the shot, gets fouled, or dishes off to another player for a good shot.

I'm hoping Nolan Smith is up to the challenge of slowing down Lawson. No guarantee that you beat the Tarheels even if is Lawson is held in check, but almost no chance if he can't be stopped.

dukelifer
11-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Watching some of the game; Lawson's drives are key for the Tarheels. When he gets going in the open court, he's generally headed to the rim. Sometimes it looks like the other team is positioned to stop him, but he is very fast and aggressive in his drives. When he gets close to the rim, he either makes the shot, gets fouled, or dishes off to another player for a good shot.

I'm hoping Nolan Smith is up to the challenge of slowing down Lawson. No guarantee that you beat the Tarheels even if is Lawson is held in check, but almost no chance if he can't be stopped.

There are teams with much better guards out there - so he could be slowed- but he is playing well. UNC has so many offensive weapons. With Thompson raising his game as well, it just not clear if they will stumble this year if they stay healthy.

eddiehaskell
11-26-2008, 11:42 PM
When Lawson turns someone and gets them on his hip, chalk it up as 2 points because he will get a layup.

FireOgilvie
11-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I am just happy that Hansbrough isn't putting up the same rebounding numbers as last year... anything to hurt his chances at another NPOY award. I cheer really hard for Griffin and Curry every game.

Ed Davis is really good.

gotham devil
11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
ND wasn't exactly an elite defensive team last year
and it certainly doesn't look that improved this year.

eddiehaskell
11-26-2008, 11:56 PM
McAlarney is fun to watch. They should've let him start jacking it up at will with 10 minutes to go.

WOW - he just hit another from way out.

But yeah, no way to stop Lawson....no stops inside....no chance vs UNC.

eddiehaskell
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
BTW - not to sound any alarm bells, but UNC did give up 87 points...

dukelifer
11-27-2008, 12:03 AM
ND wasn't exactly an elite defensive team last year
and it certainly doesn't look that improved this year.

Notre Dame is dead tired. Not sure they could beat UNC rested- but this game was decided the day before. Hard to stop UNC though- a team will need to have a great shooting night to beat them. I hate to say this but Thompson really improved and may be the best player at the next level of the bunch. By the way, Mcakarney for Notre Dame can shoot the ball- 10 threes tonight and Mr. Hansbrough is back. Well look for all the Pundits to claim UNC unbeatable this season. We will see how they handle the pressure of their first close game as the season goes along.

eddiehaskell
11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Notre Dame is dead tired. Not sure they could beat UNC rested- but this game was decided the day before.Yep. They were dead tired against a team that runs a lot and their best player (Harangody) was sick...just not a good time for ND to play UNC.

wilko
11-27-2008, 12:15 AM
It seems like they are only capable of losing a game I dont get to watch.
(Duke games not withstanding of course)

If I watch it, they are going to win. 10pts down with 5 min left and they pull it out... SOOOOOO tired of that song. Fate deprives me of the pleasure of watching them fail..

So I've learned to "go with it" and not watch hoping they will lose them all...

Skitzle
11-27-2008, 12:29 AM
They're better than Duke on paper, but after going through both teams front and backcourts, I was surprised that it was closer than I expected. Backourts are pretty evenly matched. In the Frontcourt, UNC has the talent advantage but Duke has more bodies.

Is it my bias or is ellington generally underwhelming? I've never been that impressed with his game. I think Scheyer is a better player.

Also, someone mentioned last night that it looks like Greene is auditioning for the NBA more than he's playing for the team. There were a couple instances in the second half where he took a few shots that could be used as evidence in making that case.
That said, UNC was up by 20 and I didn't watch the first half.

Duke/UNC will be fun to watch this year. I hope we watch it 4 times with Duke winning at least the fourth one :)

mo.st.dukie
11-27-2008, 01:43 AM
In the Frontcourt, UNC has the talent advantage but Duke has more bodies.

I don't know, while Deon Thompson has improved alot since last year and is the bigger player I think in terms of pure basketball talent that Kyle Singler is a better player and you also have to remember Kyle is bigger than he was last year. I think the 2,3, and 4 spots are pretty much a wash, Jon and G can go toe to toe with Ellington and Green/Ginyard and I already explained the 4 matchup. Where UNC gets us is at the 1 and 5, now with Nolan playing better this year the 1 could be alot closer than many think.

gw67
11-27-2008, 08:49 AM
The Heels beat ND handily and Hansbrough is still a 1st team All American even if he hasn't fully recovered from a recent ankle injury. Whereas Lawson stayed in the background against Oregon, he asserted himself during this game and Ellington and Green stayed in the background. With the emergence of Thompson, all five starters are averaging in double figures and I expect that matchups and a hot hand will determine which players join Hansborough as the leading players for a particular game. It is clear that UNC is a very good team but they are beatable, particularly, in the ACC. After watching 1-1/2 games, I like how they share the ball and at the same time protect it.

ND is a good team and they appeared tired last night. I expect that they will be near the top of the Big East.

Based on a small sampling, Curry, Griffin and Hansbrough appear to be the three top players in college.

gw67

roywhite
11-27-2008, 09:07 AM
The Heels beat ND handily and Hansbrough is still a 1st team All American even if he hasn't fully recovered from a recent ankle injury. Whereas Lawson stayed in the background against Oregon, he asserted himself during this game and Ellington and Green stayed in the background. With the emergence of Thompson, all five starters are averaging in double figures and I expect that matchups and a hot hand will determine which players join Hansborough as the leading players for a particular game. It is clear that UNC is a very good team but they are beatable, particularly, in the ACC. After watching 1-1/2 games, I like how they share the ball and at the same time protect it.
gw67

UNC appears to be operating on a very high level offensively with many potent weapons. Their defense is still a work in progress, not bad, but may not approach their offensive prowess.

To beat the Heels, a team will need to slow down Lawson and try to force the offense to set up. Will also need some luck in hoping that Ellington and Green don't get hot.

If it makes sense, I'd say UNC will not have many close games, but could still lose to a good team on a given night.

dukestheheat
11-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I have also noted that when Lawson dips his shoulder to drive, he is going to get something done. He is really tough to guard, and I wish he'd gone pro along with Ellington, the stupid Dancer Green, and I Almost Always Travel When I get the ball in the low post Hansbrough.

dth.

BlueintheFace
11-27-2008, 10:29 AM
If we are honest with ourselves... UNC is just really freaking good. Frankly, I don't trust any other team to stop them from getting that National Championship but us this year.

gw67
11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Based on the little that I have seen, the Heels are improved this year. Folks can hope that the three amigos will be disruptive and not want to share the ball with Hansbrough because they have their sights on the 24-second league but that certainly isn't obvious. The three are very good passers and feed the post very well. Lawson is averaging 6.5 apg and both Green and Ellington average more assists per game than Smith.

The Devils are also improved, have some very good individual players and play better team defense. Unlike last year, the home court may be the deciding factor this season.

gw67

JasonEvans
11-27-2008, 11:35 AM
ND is a good team and they appeared tired last night. I expect that they will be near the top of the Big East.

While we love to see Carolina lose, it was good they did not drop a game to a BEast team. We are going to hear enough about the BEast being better than the ACC this year without our "best" losing to one of them.

Based on a small sampling, Curry, Griffin and Hansbrough appear to be the three top players in college.

Ya think!?!?!? Frankly, based on what I have seen so far, there is a gulf between those three and whoever is #4. Can we just have a 3-man first-string All-American team?

--Jason "Carolina is excellent -- but they are certainly beatable" Evans

Charles Wicker
11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
and blessings to all! Frankly, I don't see how we will be able to stop UNC. They are just that good. They have too much strength, quickness, and overall talent that we just don't appear to be able to match. Roy is loaded! And he is winning the recruiting battle at this phase of competition with K. I like our team; I think we will win our share of games in the conference. But we don't appear to have that knock-out, superstar who can take over a game/team, that will be needed to overcome a team with the likes of talent of a Carolina.?.? Hopefully, I'm wrong.

wilko
11-27-2008, 12:16 PM
While we love to see Carolina lose, it was good they did not drop a game to a BEast team. We are going to hear enough about the BEast being better than the ACC this year without our "best" losing to one of them.

I respectfully disagree.
Seeing UNC going down in flames matters MORE than who is actually adminstering the proctological examination to them. (Unless its Us)

throatybeard
11-27-2008, 12:41 PM
I was at Fox & Hound in W-S with a dear friend whom I rarely get to see. (This place is apparently just about the only bar in Winston, but it has a decent selection of beers). I had forgotten that UNC would be on. Come 9:30 the bar was basically the Dean Dome and there I was wearing a smoke-filled Duke sweatshirt. Ugh.

I didn't see much of the game, but at this point if you offered me a 1-point win in Cameron and a 25-point arsewhuppin in the Dean Dome, I think I'd take it. Our current 2009 seniors are 0-3 at home versus Carolina. They risk being the first home-winless class against Carolina since...1985 if my recollection is correct.

NYC Duke Fan
11-27-2008, 10:00 PM
and blessings to all! Frankly, I don't see how we will be able to stop UNC. They are just that good. They have too much strength, quickness, and overall talent that we just don't appear to be able to match. Roy is loaded! And he is winning the recruiting battle at this phase of competition with K. I like our team; I think we will win our share of games in the conference. But we don't appear to have that knock-out, superstar who can take over a game/team, that will be needed to overcome a team with the likes of talent of a Carolina.?.? Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Unfortuneately You Are Absolutely Correct !!!

Newton_14
11-27-2008, 10:35 PM
I was at Fox & Hound in W-S with a dear friend whom I rarely get to see. (This place is apparently just about the only bar in Winston, but it has a decent selection of beers). I had forgotten that UNC would be on. Come 9:30 the bar was basically the Dean Dome and there I was wearing a smoke-filled Duke sweatshirt. Ugh.

I didn't see much of the game, but at this point if you offered me a 1-point win in Cameron and a 25-point arsewhuppin in the Dean Dome, I think I'd take it. Our current 2009 seniors are 0-3 at home versus Carolina. They risk being the first home-winless class against Carolina since...1985 if my recollection is correct.

Yes, but those same Seniors are also 2 and 1 in the nose dome. All the hole faithful like to brag about the 3 straight in Cameron but seem to forget Duke has won 7 out of the last 10 in Chapel Hill.......

dukelifer
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
This has been discussed in detail over the past- but to say that Roy is winning the recruiting battle is simply not correct. Duke has had it share of back luck- folks leaving early- folks never coming etc. Duke has recruited very well - getting its share of top talent. Singler is a star- McRoberts was the top kid in the class with Hansbrough. G was seen as a top kid in his high school class. UNC is very good this year- a lot of returning players and depth. But arguably they were just as talented last year. They lost a senior guard Quentin Thomas who is about the same as a freshman Larry Drew and Alex Stepheson who was as good as Freshman Ed Davis at this point. Duke held its own against that team- winning once and leading with a few minutes left in the second game. Assuming both teams got better- I expect Duke should hold its own as well. UNC is good- very good. But Duke has a lot of time to get better before they play them.

Biscuit
11-28-2008, 10:39 AM
This has been discussed in detail over the past- but to say that Roy is winning the recruiting battle is simply not correct. Duke has had it share of back luck- folks leaving early- folks never coming etc. Duke has recruited very well - getting its share of top talent. Singler is a star- McRoberts was the top kid in the class with Hansbrough. G was seen as a top kid in his high school class. UNC is very good this year- a lot of returning players and depth. But arguably they were just as talented last year. They lost a senior guard Quentin Thomas who is about the same as a freshman Larry Drew and Alex Stepheson who was as good as Freshman Ed Davis at this point. Duke held its own against that team- winning once and leading with a few minutes left in the second game. Assuming both teams got better- I expect Duke should hold its own as well. UNC is good- very good. But Duke has a lot of time to get better before they play them.

I think the poster was looking at the immediate future of recruiting, not past recruiting results. UNC's frosh are certainly better than Duke's by all accounts thus far, it would be tough to argue that Duke can catch Carolina in the '09 class, and Carolina has a substantial head start for '10. Duke also appears to be struggling with recruiting guards and swingmen, with most of its success coming with 3/4s and 4/5s. It's hard to argue that UNC is winning the recruiting war.

However, Duke should get a couple things swinging back in its favor in the next two years. If Henderson and/or Singler stick around Duke will probably have back-to-back seasons as an elite team, which will help. A few years' separation from the early part of the decade, when the media fawning helped make Duke into a villain in the public eye, will also make them more attractive to recruits. And Coach K's gold medal run certainly helps in that respect as well. When the NBA's brightest stars talk about how much they like Coach K, that scores points with high school ballers.

Wander
11-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Remember: just because we're not exactly sure right now who the serious title contenders will be in March doesn't mean there won't be any.

Although if you pushed me to guess, I think Pitt matches up quite well with UNC and would love to see them in Carolina's bracket.

sandinmyshoes
11-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I think UNC would comfortably capture any best of five series with any other NCAA team this year. But of course that's not the way it works in the NCAAs. One game where UNC's outside shots are not falling, allowing the defense to collapse in the paint, and where the other team is hot from the outside, and the best team in college is going home without a championship.

Add in scenarios involving injuries or foul trouble and you underscore why they actually play the games.

dukelifer
11-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I think the poster was looking at the immediate future of recruiting, not past recruiting results. UNC's frosh are certainly better than Duke's by all accounts thus far, it would be tough to argue that Duke can catch Carolina in the '09 class, and Carolina has a substantial head start for '10. Duke also appears to be struggling with recruiting guards and swingmen, with most of its success coming with 3/4s and 4/5s. It's hard to argue that UNC is winning the recruiting war.

I quibble with the use of the word "war"- since, as far as I know, Duke went only after 1 kid, McDonald, that ended up at UNC in the 2009 class- and UNC went after Kelly who went in Duke's class. Henson is viewed to be the best pro prospect- but if he is- he may be one and done- ala Wright who did not bring UNC a championship. After that - it hard to know how to compare Kelly and Plumlee with the Wear twins- but I suspect they are comparable. As for 2010- Duke has a few excellent signees - two guards and a forward. Perhaps I am very biased- but I see UNC minus Hansbrough not all that different from Duke. Hansbrough turned out to be a great college player- who uses his considerable strength very well. Every once you get that great player who decides to stick around- it makes a huge difference. Thank you, Mr. Battier!