PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football (a surprise)

RepoMan
11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
I couldn't find a thread in which to post this, but I was reading Pat Forde's article on ESPN and saw an interesting and surprising tidbit. After watching quite a bit of ACC football this year, my sense was that, well, it sort of sucks. But, from another perspective, it actually has something to tout. And check out the SOS data. Duke has the 2nd rated strength of schedule in the nation. How is that even possible? I guess it is because we played no total duds. Anyway, interesting stuff . . .

"The ACC (24). The Dash has bashed the league plenty and doesn't apologize for that. But it's time to point out that the ACC has achieved a true rarity: zero terrible teams. The flip side is zero excellent teams, but at least everyone ranks in Sagarin's top 55. This is the Lake Woebegone League: everyone is above average. And, it should be noted, the league has the four national leaders in strength of schedule. In order: Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State."

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2008, 10:39 AM
I couldn't find a thread in which to post this, but I was reading Pat Forde's article on ESPN and saw an interesting and surprising tidbit. After watching quite a bit of ACC football this year, my sense was that, well, it sort of sucks. But, from another perspective, it actually has something to tout. And check out the SOS data. Duke has the 2nd rated strength of schedule in the nation. How is that even possible? I guess it is because we played no total duds. Anyway, interesting stuff . . .

"The ACC (24). The Dash has bashed the league plenty and doesn't apologize for that. But it's time to point out that the ACC has achieved a true rarity: zero terrible teams. The flip side is zero excellent teams, but at least everyone ranks in Sagarin's top 55. This is the Lake Woebegone League: everyone is above average. And, it should be noted, the league has the four national leaders in strength of schedule. In order: Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest, NC State."
Another sign of progress for the Duke football program!

blazindw
11-26-2008, 11:07 AM
This isn't tooo shocking...our schedules have been pretty strong throughout the years. The fact is, no team in the ACC this year has a horrible record (we're in last place with a 4-7 record). Of our 4 nonconference opponents, 2 were ranked and some of the last unbeatens in college football at a point this year, 1 is 7-4, and the final one is the #1 team in FCS. The only reason that UVa is probably ranked ahead of us is they played USC.

Now, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Florida and Bama probably have something to say about that. But, they have played more cupcakes than we have. Every game has been a formidable opponent, which only adds to the pride I have in the way our team has played this year. If we have a "lesser" schedule, we're bowling for sure.

sandinmyshoes
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
I think the bit about the ACC having a lot of above average teams but no great teams is on the mark. And it's good to know that Duke is in the mix in that sort of discussion. That's progress.

fan345678
11-26-2008, 01:15 PM
Sagarin now has the ACC rated as the top conference:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc08.htm

Also, despite the results on the field, Sagarin disagrees with Tom O'Brien.